PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Steelers 2008 Draft

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe you want to take a deep breath before you do this :lol: but what's your grade for our draft.

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Day 1 was a luxury draft day. Day 2, I can only agree with 1 maybe 2 of the picks. Time for a change in the FO....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I love the Mendenhall, Sweed, Davis, and Hills picks..after that it's whole lot of nothing :nonod:

We went this entire draft and didn't even touch the defensive line, an area that was clearly exposed in 2007. Thanks Colbert !!!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
yea major disapointment on day 2. After a great day 1 i was hoping we'd walk out with a complete solid draft.Picking all those weapons on day 1 and then not picking any protection is kinda pointless.

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I love the Mendenhall, Sweed, Davis, and Hills picks..after that it's whole lot of nothing :nonod:

We went this entire draft and didn't even touch the defensive line, an area that was clearly exposed in 2007. Thanks Colbert !!!

:plus1: :cursin:

steelersgal86
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I went with ....D - Other than rounds 1 & 2 I didn't care for our draft at all

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM

I agree with your post.....I don't usually grade a draft right away though....

But Mendenhall, Sweed were great value picks in the first two rounds....I really like Davis and he will be the next former college DE to play OLB in our system and he will excel.....just like the others....

The Tony Hills pick is interesting...He could be a solid player it just seems he can't stay healthy...Plus we needed an OT...

Dixon, Humpal and Mundy were complete wastes.....

MOTORKRAFT
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Based on the layout of the poll it is a D for me. Mendenhall and Sweed are huge. We couldn't address our needs because the players weren't there. Someone in charge in our front office needs to take responsibility and explain the second day. The 5th round pick was a complete embarrassment. Is Dixon 4th on the depth chart at Q.B., 5th or 6th at W.R., 4th or 5th at R.B.? What? Why? After that pick I'm suprised we didn't draft a back up punter with our last pick!

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
They went from a B+ after day one to a C- after day two in typical Colbert fashion. :evilshake:

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
D

DENNIS ****ING DIXON!!!!!????

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll go with a B-

The 1st 3 picks should help us out alot, which is what you want from your first 3 picks.I guess the last picks we were sifting through the crap looking for a gem. I would have saved that 5th rounder for someone else and picked up Morrelli as an undrafted QB project.

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2008, 06:57 PM
What grade do ya give the Steelers on thier draft?

K Train
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
A, we done good

Troyisabeast_43
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm very happy with what we did in this draft. If Tony Hill can push for the job at RT I think watch out, we could end up being a major player in the AFC.

I know a lot of people are pissed off about the Dixon pick. But personally,I love the Dixon pick. He could be a multi-dimensional threat, and a solid back up for a QB that gets dinged up quite a bit. Davis is the exact type hybrid player that Tomlin would be looking for in accordance with what he already has on the team.

Stairwayto7
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I vote B+ for Sat. And I = Incomplete for Sun!

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I switched from D to C....since we picked up some good talent....but didnt address a single need.

K Train
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
drafting for need leads to reaches, which leads to failure. best player available is the way to go and we walked aay from day one winners in every aspect. day 2...meh we did ok, davis and hills are gonna be good players. still pissed we took davis over moore and avril who were begging to be steelers

$teelersRule
04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
i think its all good we just really needed some D line help still. lets just hope that mcbean can step up and become a quality backup for us.

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
C+

1.23 | Rashard Mendenhall | RB | ILLINOIS | Need | A
2.53 | Limas Sweed | WR | TEXAS | Need | B
3.88 | Bruce Davis | OLB | UCLA | Need | B
4.130 | Tony Hills | OT | TEXAS | Need | C+
5.156 | Dennis Dixon | QB | OREGON | Fodder | F
6.188 | Mike Humpal | OLB | IOWA | ST | C-
6.194 | Ryan Mundy | S | WEST VIRGINIA | Fodder | D

Loved the first 2 picks

Was okay with the next 2

Hated 5.156 and 6.194

Can live with 6.188 as a special teamer.

My biggest dissappointment is not drafting a defensive end!

:2cents:

K Train
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
really gotta understand what happened this weekend...our oline is better because of mendenhall and sweed, you may not see it now but you will when they cant put 8 in the box and rashard shreds them to pieces. and our dline got better with the davis pick, he'll play OLB but if hes nasty like we think he can be (and they must think he can be cause they didnt waste time on the clock) our dline will play much better. depth is still a concern but we are a solid team and this weekend only made us better. Hills is a badass and will compete right away imo. just because we didnt get albert or langford doesnt mean our needs werent addressed because we went into this weekend weak at WR with a qb bitching for a tall black dude and we needed a solid guy to go "behind" willie and by "behind" i mean directly in front of him

$teelersRule
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
i agree with just about every point you made there. i was just pointing out that we still need depth at the d line. i agree though. oh except for one there has not been any ben bitching in a long wile hahh

TampaSteelGirl
04-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I picked B but feel we needed more help on the Oline. As I said before the only reason I can see them picking up a QB is they may not think Charlie has many more years yet and we don't have a decent 3rd string. Probably sick of bringing back St. Pierre!!!

SteelCityMan786
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
B

We needed to address corner. DeShea is aging and coming close to calling up the NFL Office, having mailed, signed, and mailing back his retirement papers.

K Train
04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
i think brennen or woodson would be better backups than dixon, unless they plan to work him in at WR or KR i dunno....i guess time will tell

portcityblackandgold
04-27-2008, 09:05 PM
A :tt02::tt02:

steelersgal86
04-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I went with B:tt02:

Steelers7fan
04-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I switched from D to C....since we picked up some good talent....but didnt address a single need.

Another Running back to help Parker is a need. Sorry Parker is coming off an injury and he's not going to be able to take the beating for many more years carrying the ball the way he does.

This theory of picking anyone just to fill a need is bad drafting. There was absolutely no OLman at #23 to draft and you don't pass a future star running back to get a second tear lineman.

When the Steelers made the commitment to Ben as our franchise QB and obviously we'll go only as far as he'll take us, getting him more weapons is a priority.

Plus didnt we get a OT Hills from Texas, which adds some depth. (along with the edition of Hartwig)

Plus added some pass rushing dept with Davis from UCLA.

Also when you have many needs it's impossible to get them all in one year it just doesn't happen.

One more thing in the NFL.com fan poll,nation wide, they voted us having the Third best draft trailing only Kansas City and Miami.
Plus many draft experts have said we did a great job and I agree.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't think Davis is going to make an impact right away for us except on ST but a year or 2 down the road when he works his way into the rotation and is able to really get the defense down he'll be solid. Our offense got a whole lot better this weekend that's for sure. Hills is a good value pick and could be a real gem for us. The DL depth is still a worry if any one of the 3 starters goes down.

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Since the Steelers weren't willing to close the door on the McFarland deal and they didn't address the glaring DL need in the draft, I'm willing to bet they sign him within the next few weeks for depth.

Bring on da' Booger!

Captcoolhand
04-27-2008, 10:04 PM
we brought in over 30 players to interview but was any of them drafted by us this year? :scratch:

K Train
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
yes....Mr. Dennis Dixon!!! lol

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I believe we can do better than the booger. We just have to be patient. Of the 250 players drafted more than half won't make their teams rosters and then there will also be training camp casualties for veterans. At this point we aren't looking for the stud of the future, but the cast-off who might serve as a bandaid should a starter go down.

And don't forget we just resigned Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, plus there is a Ryan McBean waiting in the wings. Yeah, they sucked as subs last year but who knows, maybe with some steroids and a miracle they will be better this year! :lol:

Still waiting for Brett Kiesel to be the animal we thought he might be. Maybe he is an animal, but we expected a bull and we got a mule. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
yes....Mr. Dennis Dixon!!! lol

dont ****in remind me

JoeThomas
04-27-2008, 10:24 PM
gave it a C. i like mendenhall the player but not for your team. love the sweed pick. and dennis dixon will be a solid backup rb/wr in a year or 2.

Koopa
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
i gave it an A because we got to longhorn players :lol:.......... and i put A for the hell of it........... i'm happy with the draft, mendenhall finally gives us a badass at running back, we finally have a legit 3 wr in sweed, not some undrafted bum *** hoe like washington...... and tony hill gives us a dude that has played lt for a top school............ dixion is the only retard pick......... i don't get why colbert has a say in the team, he doesn't ****ing coach, i think the head coach is the only one that should ever be allowed to pick players........unless his name is bill cowher........... there obviously wasn't a DE in the draft that they felt would help so i'm not mad we didn't reach for one just to get one........... i don't get why ppl cry so much about these late *** picks, ppl act like we are the only ones that never find gems, plus some of these players could probably have been drafted to help out the special teams which is equally as important as getting starters

K Train
04-27-2008, 10:42 PM
word!!!!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
B

The fact that we got rashard Mendenhall is incredible, but the face that what got Mendenhall and Limus Sweed thats frikin amazing. Both could start and be future stars at thier postion and we got them both! we definetly stacked our offense.

We added depth to our LBs which we did need we got a Big Mouth tough 3-4 pass rushing LB (Joey Porter sound fimiliar?) in Bruce Davis and a blue-collour kid that can and loves to tackle and theres not too many that can do better at tackling then Humpal.

If Tony Hills is the answer for our line then we had a perfect draft, but no linemen were good enough to be taken as high so we did a great job there in picking offensive powerhouses then plugs in our line.

Im kinda glad we didnt pick a DE because were obviously looking for that guy to be a starter and a damn good one then a backup for 3 years untill he slowly makes it into the line-up

And we got a special teamer and depth for our last pick. If we all remember the Anthony Smith that ruined bengels lives and Mcfadden being good like in the Colts Playoffs saving the game winning touchdown, then we have the best Defensiver Backfield in the league I must say. Maybe Mundy can be a solid backup for us.

And Dennis Dixon, another Kordell Stewert why not? we could always use one of those

I'm dissapointed that we didnt get Owen Shmitt only because Carey Davis hasnt proven to me yet that he is a true run blocking FB that the steelers need to run steelers football. But i hope he proves me wrong and becomes the next Dan Krieder.

K Train
04-27-2008, 11:10 PM
omg i didnt know we didnt get owen schmitt!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf are we gonna do?????????? how will we possibly move on forward!?!!?!? you know what they say...if you dont draft owen schmitt your only moving backwards. seriously though how the **** are we gonna win a superbowl now?

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
omg i didnt know we didnt get owen schmitt!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf are we gonna do?????????? how will we possibly move on forward!?!!?!? you know what they say...if you dont draft owen schmitt your only moving backwards. seriously though how the **** are we gonna win a superbowl now?

is that a double-coat of sarcasm?

K Train
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
no i honestly dont know what were gonna do without this future HOF fullback....damn i wish i had his e-autograph

ejsteeler
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I have my opinions, which run along the same lines as most here, but bottom line is, they have information we do not and an insight we do not. I have to trust their choices. Besides, what other option do we have, change teams. NOT GOING TO HAPPPEN!!!!!!:tt02:

I gave us a B.

Blitzburgh55
04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm very happy with what we did in this draft. If Tony Hill can push for the job at RT I think watch out, we could end up being a major player in the AFC.

I know a lot of people are pissed off about the Dixon pick. But personally,I love the Dixon pick. He could be a multi-dimensional threat, and a solid back up for a QB that gets dinged up quite a bit. Davis is the exact type hybrid player that Tomlin would be looking for in accordance with what he already has on the team.

I totally argee with you

steelcityrockers
04-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Yah I love the Dixon pick. A good kid and a good player.

Steelcity
04-29-2008, 11:34 PM
I personally can't believe the criticism that Dixon is getting. These haters must have not seen any of his performances in college. He was a front runner for the heisman before the injury. He can make some great throws as well as outrun most players. Overall, I think that he will be a great weapon that defenses will have to account for.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I personally can't believe the criticism that Dixon is getting. These haters must have not seen any of his performances in college. He was a front runner for the heisman before the injury. He can make some great throws as well as outrun most players. Overall, I think that he will be a great weapon that defenses will have to account for.

I have started to calm down on the Dixon pick...You have to understand I wanted other players at that point...Batch is old so there is a need for the team to starting a grooming a potential replacement for Batch...Its going to be interesting if the Steelers throw Dixon out there in certain packages in the future...

Please don't mention he was a runner for the Heisman since its meaningless...There has been plenty of Heisman winners that been busts in the NFL.

So who really cares if Dixon was in the running for the Heisman before being injured....