PDA

View Full Version : Mike Humpal - ILB - 6th round & Ryan Mundy - FS - 6th round

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry but who the hell is this and what is going on with our FO????

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting that we went ILB here; with Farrior in the last year of his deal Im guessing they are looking for future depth. Foote and Timmons will battle it out for the starting inside spot but if James doesn't return next year we'll be hurting at ILB for depth so this makes some good sense. We've allowed ourselves to get old at LB and the last 2 years Tomlin has remedied that situation.

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Interesting that we went ILB here; with Farrior in the last year of his deal Im guessing they are looking for future depth.

TG, merge please...lol But I think this is a terrible pick considering Timmons and SilverBack are both being discussed as being moved inside!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Yep I merged mine and yours together, no worries :)

Timmons' future is at ILB for us but Silverback is staying outside. Harrison can play inside which is a bonus but they aren't going to move a player of his caliber and talent from the outside to inside unless injuries absolutely necessitate such a move.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/mike-humpal?id=1367

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd move him inside and bring in Erin Henderson..... My homer pick :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, this rounds our 2008 picks. Here is his bio. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/ryan-mundy?id=4393)

He'll be a special teamer for sure and a reach to make the team at this point.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Trust me this pick doesn't excite me any more than it does you :( but it does fill a need and who knows maybe he'll step up and diamond in the rough. He'll play ST and have a shot to make the team to help us with depth.

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
:cursin: :willybs: :eyecrazy: :banging: :nono: :scratch:

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, glad that it is over in a way. When can we start picking up un drafted rookies?

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Day 1 = A+

Day 2 = C-

After Bruce Davis its a wash. Won't be surprised if those are the only 3 that make the team. Do we draft garbage picks on purpose?

Now it has become very clear why they resigned scrubs like Kirschke and Eason. Guess its a good thing we are keeping our scrubs! :banging:

Thing I am most upset with? No D-line help whatsoever! We are 1 injury away from defensive mediocrity!

black an gold 4 life
04-27-2008, 04:35 PM
i like ryan mundys bio,this is going 2 be an great pick,but why would we waste an pick on an q.b:scratch:i think that left tackle will b an good pick down the line also 1-2 years later................i think the line backer taken n the 3rd round will b an beast 4 us, , one thing i know 4 sure our special teams should b better this year:bluelol:, but i'm still pissed off at the wasted pick on an q.b:cursin:

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Mundy could possibly make this team and provide a ST's boost. He doesn't stand out, but neither did Brian Hinkle when we drafted him and he turned out to be pretty servicable.

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Mundy could possibly make this team and provide a ST's boost. He doesn't stand out, but neither did Brian Hinkle when we drafted him and he turned out to be pretty servicable.

Don't ever compare anyone to Bryan Hinkle....

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Well Mundy if he can help the special teams then that will help....The Dixon and Humpal picks were just terrible...

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Actually Hempal was the ILB I was referring to above. Not Mundy

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Draft this guy: Ryan Mundy
By Adam Abramson

I've talked about depth for many positions in the 2008 NFL Draft, but I found one group lacking a lot of value on paper.

Safeties. Both free and strong.

You'll likely see just one safety taken in the first round, and he's a very good one. His name is Kenny Phillips. The University of Miami Hurricane stepped on campus and provided immediate impact expected of him coming out of high school. Philips is the real deal and should be a stud in the NFL.

Otherwise, there are some names you might hear later on the first day, such as DaJuan Morgan, Simeon Castille, Tom Zbikowski and Quintin Demps.

One name you won't hear is Ryan Mundy.

He's bigger than Morgan and less than a step slower, bigger and faster than Castille and Michael Griffin of Texas, yet he wasn't invited to the Combine and might slip off draft boards. Why?

Well, he began his career at Michigan and started 18 of 35 career games. However, a good portion of his time in Ann Arbor (including one full season) was spent on the sidelines courtesy of injury.

When Mundy, right in the picture, graduated, he wanted to pursue his Master's degree in a field Michigan didn't offer, so he exercised an NCAA rule allowing him to transfer without losing eligibility.

He landed at West Virginia where he played alongside Eric Wicks, leading a secondary that was instrumental in WVU's season that resulted in a Fiesta Bowl victory. Mundy finished fourth on the team in tackles, including 11 in the win over Oklahoma. He also picked off three passes and recovered three fumbles. This wasn't a big surprise for Mundy, who played well for Lloyd Carr when he was healthy.

He's used to playing with top talent, against superb competition and in different schemes. The fact he was able to immediately step in and be a top contributor in West Virginia's unorthodox defensive scheme, against brand new opponents, says a lot about his willingness to learn and adapt.

Mountaineers coach Bill Stewart has been public about Mundy's contributions, all positive of course. (I put a call into Stewart, but they're all out for Spring Break this week.)

Mundy did work out in a Pro Day and did well for himself. One scout told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "It was a good day for Ryan Mundy to show what he can do. He didn't go to the Combine, and I thought that was a slight to him."

Injury-prone is a very tricky word. Every player is injury-prone. It's football. Mundy has proven he is a legitimate safety when given the chance. Teams should take notice of him and should not shy away from drafting him the second day.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I thought Ryan Mundy sounded familiar...I remember him playing for Michigan.....I had a total brain fart....I don't hate the pick now....If he can help on special teams and develop into a quality backup then thats all I ask...

SteelerSteve
04-27-2008, 05:23 PM
He has pretty darn good size for a fs (6'1", 215) and speed 4.37 So I think that there definitley is some potential.:yellowthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
not too shabby in the 6th... but who is out??? clark, Carter, Smith (please no, 1 more season) there is no reason to carry 5 safeties!

K Train
04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
you cant be saying **** like "who the hell is this" at the end of the draft, you really wont know about alot of these guys

K Train
04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
anthony smith isnt going anywhere, hes gonna be nasty :markit:

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 06:27 PM
anthony smith isnt going anywhere, hes gonna be nasty :markit:

gonna be? he already is...people dawg him for one game, b/c he had a set and called out the pats....gimme Smith over Troy any day of the week.

K Train
04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
gonna be? he already is...people dawg him for one game, b/c he had a set and called out the pats....gimme Smith over Troy any day of the week.

any day...

Stairwayto7
04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
This is a 6th Rounder, so big deal, we need tacklers for kickoffs anyway, we suck there