PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon - QB - 5th round, 156th overall selection

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Can somebody please explain this pick to me !!!! :wtf: This makes absolutely zero sense IMO!

Colbert has totally blown this pick, not even close !!!!

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 03:44 PM
wow....glad im watching the Pens game....

unless he is thinking Slash 2

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical Colbert bed shitting on Day #2 ..... Oh well, let's hope our first 3 picks pan out and make a difference.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
wow....glad im watching the Pens game....

unless he is thinking Slash 2

He has to be thinking Slash II....But still even with that line of thinking its a terrible pick...lol

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 03:48 PM
He has to be thinking Slash II....But still even with that line of thinking its a terrible pick...lol

agreed

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
How much more does Dan and Art II have to see of Colbert on day 2 drafting. Granted 5th round picks aren't usually drafted to be starters right away but this is about the dumbest pick he could have come up with at this point.

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too ... Apparently this guy plays like 4 positions. Another "wait and see" player ...

Height: 6-3.5
Weight: 200
Speed: 4.75

Bio

Two-year starter who also saw action with the first team as a sophomore. PAC 10 Offensive Player of the Year as a senior after passing totals of 67.7%/2136/20/4 and 105/583/9 on the ground. Played in 10 games before being sidelined with a knee injury. Junior-year passing totals included 61.2%/2143/12/14. Drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in 2003.

Positives

Tall, slender passer who displayed a large degree of improvement last season. Strong-armed signal-caller with a quick release and the ability to zip outs and drive the long throw. Sells ball fakes, patient in the pocket, and effectively leads the offense. Scans the field searching for the open wideout and has the ability to pick up yardage with his legs.

Negatives

Throws with poor mechanics and inaccurate in placing his passes. Forces the ball into covered receivers and waits on the timing passes.

Analysis

Dixon pulled together a fine senior campaign, yet he is far from being a complete quarterback. He will need a lot of development before he is ready to compete in

the NFL. He should be given an opportunity at quarterback, yet he may ultimately wind up playing a different position.

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 03:51 PM
How much more does Dan and Art II have to see of Colbert on day 2 drafting. Granted 5th round picks aren't usually drafted to be starters right away but this is about the dumbest pick he could have come up with at this point.

the thing that sucks is, Dixon is a helluva athlete. I just can't thknk of any use for him, unless they are seriously considering letting Batch go, and letting Dixon and Zabransky battle it out for 2nd string.

I dont ****ing know.

MOTORKRAFT
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
So much for the trade down to pick up another pick. What a joke!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 03:56 PM
the thing that sucks is, Dixon is a helluva athlete. I just can't thknk of any use for him, unless they are seriously considering letting Batch go, and letting Dixon and Zabransky battle it out for 2nd string.

I dont ****ing know.

I guess they don't have much faith in Zabransky at this point; I can't see them letting Batch go since BSP left there is literally no experienced backup QB behind Charlie. That's what makes this pick so :scratch: . I like having Zabransky on the team and then letting Batch go maybe after the 2008 season but now wasting an important 5th round pick at this position just sucks!!

Just listening to NFLN talk about him; he's probably going to spend his first year on IR because of the knee injury??? So which means he was going to be there atleast in round 6 for sure so why in the name of everything stupid would you take him now !!!!!!!!!!!

Blitzburgh55
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
i acutally like this pick
its not like there alot of good players left in the 5th round anyway
Why not take a gamble

Mike Tomlin
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe he'll be Batch's replacement in about 2-3 years. He's a good athlete hopefully sitting behind Ben and Batch for a few years would improve his skills.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Why not take a gamble

Take a gamble on a guy like Nicks at Tackle then, or a CB or a DL..not a QB right now, that's one area of the least need at this point.

Edit... Nicks was drafted in the 5th round by the Saints but the point still stands; take a chance on a position of need right now.

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Why not take a gamble

Wow, I'm glad you were joking.... :bluelol: Oh you aren't??? Then please tell me the reason for this stupid pick and not getting any support for our crappy O-line which every football fan in the world knows we need!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Take a gamble on a guy like Nicks at Tackle then, or a CB or a DL..not a QB right now, that's one area of the least need at this point.

Yeah, what he said..... :eyecrazy:

Silverback 92
04-27-2008, 04:45 PM
they can turn him into a wr like randle el but taller

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
We don't need any more WRs after taking Sweed!

MOTORKRAFT
04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
This is worse than Timmons in the first last year. I hope someone gets fired. And that said person can go draft somewhere else and brag about the players who fell into their laps. For the past two years the only good draft choices have fell into our laps, simple as that. The rest have been "projects" or simple reaches. It's like they don't know whats going on. Unless Dixion can play C.B. They need to go !!!

MDSteel15
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Corner? I hope he gains weight to play tackle when one of those fat turds get hurt again!

jridge2778
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Dennis Dixon reminds me of Vince Young or Michael Vick. Not a good pick for the way the steelers like to play football. it boggles the mind.

black an gold 4 life
04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
this was an wasted pick:cursin::cursin:

McNabbulous5
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I really like this pick. I think that Dixon has a ton of upside. If the Eagles would have had a pick in the 5th round I would have hoped that they would have taken Dixon. He maybe used as a slash type player but I think the Steelers will put him on IR this year to learn the offense and you are looking at your backup QB within the next 2 or 3 years.

K Train
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
it looks weird but i remember him coming in for 2 visits, they had this planned all along

Stairwayto7
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
This pick was nothing more than to **** off Jacksonville because they were targeting him .... nothing more. The Steelers felt the Jags F'ed them yesterday so it was payback time.

Stairwayto7
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
This pick was nothing more than to **** off Jacksonville because they were targeting him .... nothing more. The Steelers felt the Jags F'ed them yesterday so it was payback time.

If thats true! We are friggin stupid!

$teelersRule
04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
freagin stupid??? that would be freakin AWESOME! hahah p.s. i wanted groves

K Train
04-27-2008, 09:10 PM
everyone wanted groves but knowing that either groves or sweed was gonna be there for the taking when we couldve taken either in the first was a good feeling when wsh was OTC lol

TampaSteelGirl
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
THe ONLY thing I can think of is that perhaps Charlies may not have many years left in him and ST. Pierre is a joke! I"m sure there is a method to their madness, we have to trust that they know what they are doing and what they are looking at. I think we do pretty well each year in the draft. Hell even the Patriots picked up a QB!!

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Considering the value still on the board, I'm not a fan of this pick at all, but I will say this for Dixon .... the kid has the right attitude. If he comes in and turns a few heads, he could supplant Z' for the #3 QB spot ....

Waiting game ends for Dixon
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 39 minutes ago

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – The rented sedan was rolling toward the Eugene Airport at a quarter to noon Sunday when the driver got the news he’d been waiting for, fielding a phone call from the house he’d just left after a long, anxious morning.

So Dennis Dixon Sr. did what he figured any proud, elated father whose son had just been drafted would do: He whipped a U-turn on the Beltline Highway, put the pedal to the metal and rushed back to give his boy a prolonged, heartfelt hug.

“Oh, damn, I’m a Pittsburgh Steeler!” Dixon’s jubilant son, Dennis, exclaimed shortly after his father’s return. “It’s a rush, and now I’ve got to go out there and do what I do.”

“The door is opened!” Dixon Sr. yelled. “I’ve got goosebumps right now.”

Leave it to the Dixon family to provide a little added drama to the NFL draft process, one which had been filled with uncertainty since an untimely injury rocked their world six months ago.

When the Steelers used a fifth-round draft pick to select Dixon, the former Oregon quarterback whose Heisman Trophy and national championship dreams had been derailed by a torn knee ligament in November, it ended a tense session in front of the living-room television that was well into its fifth hour. But in terms of facilitating a family celebration, the moment occurred at the nick of time.

Hoping to go as high as the third round, which began at 7 a.m. Pacific time, Dixon had grown increasingly frustrated as the day dragged on, becoming visibly angry when three teams he felt might pick him (the Carolina Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs and Chicago Bears) chose other players early in the fifth round. Shortly thereafter, at 11:30 a.m., Dixon Sr. and daughter Danitra gave up and headed for the airport to catch their respective flights to California.

Quiet and aggravated, Dixon said goodbye to his father and sister and started shooting pool with former Ducks receiver Brian Paysinger, one of the many ex-teammates who spent much of the weekend at the house near the Oregon campus devouring the meaty offerings cooked up by Dixon Sr.

He was leaning over the table and lining up a shot when his iPhone finally buzzed. Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, whom Dixon had gotten to know on a pre-draft visit to the Steelers’ facility, was on the other line.

“Are you ready to be a Steeler?” Tomlin asked.

“Yessir!” Dixon said, pumping his right fist while excitedly bounding up and down the stairs.

Dixon’s house was full of sleepy friends, some of whom were awakened by the commotion. But the two most important people of all weren’t there to share his joy. Dixon, who lost his mother, Jueretta, to breast cancer four years ago, is exceptionally close to his father and sister. They had to share this moment, and now Tomlin and the Steelers had made it all possible.

Ten long minutes later, Dennis Sr. and Danitra returned. Even as they celebrated together, the idea of Dixon wearing the black-and-gold was all so surreal.

Dixon Sr. lives in San Leandro, a working-class town in the shadow of Oakland’s McAfee Coliseum, and is a longtime fan of the Oakland Raiders. “Jack Tatum’s kids used to go to school with Dennis and Danitra,” he recalled Saturday. “We used to go over to his house all the time. There’s talk of Dennis going to San Francisco, and everyone says, ‘If he does, you’ll have to root for the 49ers.’ And I tell ‘em, ‘No, I don’t.’ ”

He was kidding. We think.

On Sunday, when reminded of the longtime Raiders-Steelers rivalry that includes the Immaculate Reception, the elder Dixon said, “You know how hard that’s gonna be, to root for the Steelers? Matter of fact, that’s harder than the 49ers. But I’ll manage.”

In the wake of his injury, Dixon had maintained that he didn’t care where he went, that all he wanted was an opportunity to make an NFL roster. So he wasn’t about to complain about being drafted by a team that just gave a reported eight-year, $102 million contract to Ben Roethlisberger, its young, franchise quarterback.

“As a quarterback in my situation, coming off an injury, it’s going to take a while for me to adapt anyway,” Dixon said. “Being able to learn from two smart, experienced quarterbacks like Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch goes a long way. I’m just going to be a sponge and absorb everything.

“At the same time, I’m a competitor, and I’m going to go out there and compete with everything I’ve got.”

Dixon added that he was excited by the opportunity to play with veteran Steelers wideout Hines Ward, whom he said he was “honored to have a chance to meet” during his visit.

“As a little kid, this is what you dream of, right here,” he said. “Now, you’ve got to respond. I can’t wait to get out there and get to work.”

If he’s in a hurry, it’s nothing compared to the hurry his father and sister were in as they left the house for a second time Sunday.

“Tell ‘em to hold the plane!” Dixon joked to his father. “Tell ‘em your son just got drafted, and that’s why you were late.”

“We’ve got to go!” Danitra said, and seconds later they were in the car, ready to hoof it up the Beltline Highway once more. But as he pulled away, Dixon Sr. had one final thought.

“Remember Slash?” he asked, referring to former Steelers quarterback and multipurpose threat Kordell Stewart. “Maybe we’ve got Slash II.”

portcityblackandgold
04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Dixon has the one intangible that tells me that he is Steeler material. HEART
By chance did anyone see this kid try to play hurt? Did anyone see him put his career in jeopardy for his team?

steelcityrockers
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Dixon was one of my favorites this year. I really like him and I hope like crazy he dosen't turn into another Omar Jacobs. No not the same player at all, just similar situation.

Steel58
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
don't understand the pick,unless they are thinking of the slash role for Dixon.:scratch:

CaliforniaSean
04-28-2008, 01:26 PM
i read dixon might not even play in the nfl, he has been offered and is considering baseball and probably has a better chance of being sombody there. hes no bo jackson either.

MDSteel15
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
This is such a fu@*ing waste of a pick....

TEEMONT
04-28-2008, 04:16 PM
God I hate this pick with every ounce of my being.

Iron City South
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
God I hate this pick with every ounce of my being.

Don't HATE ... Congratulate. :yellowthumb:

If this guy beats Zebranski out of a job then look at it as an upgrade to our roster.

ejsteeler
04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Don't HATE ... Congratulate. :yellowthumb:

If this guy beats Zebranski out of a job then look at it as an upgrade to our roster.

Well yeah, but it makes wonder what info pushed them that way. Hopeufully they have some news about pick ups in free agency to shore up the lines.

blinkbdj
04-28-2008, 08:11 PM

I dont ****ing know.

Batch is pretty much done. Hes 33 years old and does not have a strong arm. God forbid Ben goes down, we need someone who can throw the ball down the field...

Anyways hopefully he'll be able to beat out Zabranski at least since we have 4 QB's on our roster...

SteelersWoman
05-01-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_564939.html

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 30, 2008

He piled up 368 yards of total offense and accounted for four touchdowns. He led Oregon to a 39-7 shellacking of Michigan in front of more than 100,000 fans as well as a national TV audience.

Dennis Dixon thrust himself into the Heisman Trophy race with that performance last September -- and into the consciousness of Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

"The first thing I thought about was Vince Young," said Colbert, who saw Dixon play extensively for the first time against Michigan. "He was winning that game by himself."
The Steelers, who took Dixon in the fifth round of the NFL Draft on Sunday, won't ask the 23-year-old quarterback to win any games in the near future. They are optimistic that eventually he can back up Ben Roethlisberger, a role the 33-year-old Charlie Batch has filled so capably, and get on the field in select situations.

It is, however, too early for the Steelers to know if they uncovered a late-round gem in Dixon -- or whether they stumbled onto another Omar Jacobs (the fifth-round pick in 2006 never made the team).

Making it all the more difficult for the Steelers to assess what they have in Dixon: He is still recovering from the major knee injury that ended his senior season.

The 6-3 1/2, 206-pounder will be limited in the minicamp practices that start Friday and run through Sunday. But Dixon, who had surgery on his left knee in December, said he is "ahead of schedule" in his rehabilitation.
The Steelers, meanwhile, felt good enough about the reports they got from their medical personnel regarding Dixon that they didn't hesitate to take him with the 156th pick of the draft.

Had Dixon not torn his ACL, he would have been selected much earlier.
He is a gifted athlete and polished passer -- Dixon completed almost 68 percent of his passes last season -- and he had been one of the frontrunners for the Heisman before going down late in the season. "He has great physical talent," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He can run, he has a strong arm, and he is coming to a great situation where he can grow behind two people like Ben and Charlie."

The Steelers have made it clear that they drafted Dixon as a quarterback and have no plans to move him to wide receiver, something they did with Antwaan Randle-El earlier this decade.

If Dixon does turn out to be the dual threat the Steelers think he is, they could design some packages that would get him on the field and throw a change-up to the opposition.
"He can really be a headache for a defense," Colbert said of Dixon, who threw 20 touchdown passes in 2007 (and just four interceptions) and had nine rushing touchdowns. "He played in a spread offense, but, boy, is he a patient guy in the pocket, finds open receivers. This kid, he is a passer first." .....

Stlrs4Life
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
If Dixon does turn out to be the dual threat the Steelers think he is, they could design some packages that would get him on the field and throw a change-up to the opposition.
"He can really be a headache for a defense," Colbert said of Dixon, who threw 20 touchdown passes in 2007 (and just four interceptions) and had nine rushing touchdowns. "He played in a spread offense, but, boy, is he a patient guy in the pocket, finds open receivers. This kid, he is a passer first." .....

If that's the case, don't you think the Defense is going to know who to cover, and who is going to get the ball?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
He's not going to make the roster as a WR so if he's going to make the team he's going to have a battle with Zabransky for the last QB spot. That should be a fun battle to watch in preseason.