PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 Winners

Prosdo
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
4. Pittsburgh Steelers: You've got to be kidding me. Ben Roethlisberger wanted a big receiver and he got Limas Sweed in the second round. Running back Rashard Mendenhall was a steal at No. 23, and combined with Willie Parker, the Steelers should have a dynamite one-two punch in the backfield. The Steelers play the toughest schedule in football this year, and after decades of focusing on defense, they stocked up with some great offensive weapons this year. Roethlisberger now has Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and Sweed at receiver, and the talented Heath Miller at tight end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

Gotta love it!

steelersgal86
04-27-2008, 11:27 AM
:tt02::tt02: Good to hear :greengrin:

JoeThomas
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
love the sweed pick. a steal in the 2nd. but even though mendenhall slipped, he wasnt a need pick for the steelers. i know all the top OL came off the board but a backup RB? maybe you guys can explain that too me. I think they could have gone alot better. I wouldnt put them as a day 1 winner or a loser. But I think they could have done alot better with #1

Prosdo
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Bengals and Patriots on the loser list lol

Prosdo
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
love the sweed pick. a steal in the 2nd. but even though mendenhall slipped, he wasnt a need pick for the steelers. i know all the top OL came off the board but a backup RB? maybe you guys can explain that too me. I think they could have gone alot better. I wouldnt put them as a day 1 winner or a loser. But I think they could have done alot better with #1

The Steelers would have went O-line if there was someone worth taking. Mendenhall was a steal at 23. I think the Steelers miss the 1-2 punch they had before. The Steelers went with the best available talent on the board. They had a list of 15 guys that if they were available they would not trade pick 23.

BlitzburghNation
04-27-2008, 11:39 AM

You answered your own Question,,,,,,,Top linemen were off the board and
RB was a need for us and we got a STEEL "Mayock" has him ranked as
the best RB in the draft,,,,,,,:tt02::greenbounce2::tt02:

Everyone on here is really ~~~:greenbounce2: over Menenhall and I take it as a complement when a browns fan doesn't like our pick :nahnah:

We had, without a doubt, a great day in the draft,,,,,,,, :towelwave:

steelersgal86
04-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Everyone on here is really ~~~:greenbounce2: over Menenhall and I take it as a complement when a browns fan doesn't like our pick :nahnah:

:ditto: well said :clap::clap::crybabyclowns:

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
No doubt a great day one draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Mendenhall will be compliment to Willie and be on the field a lot for us. He won't really be a backup for very long but more like a 1 and 1a on the depth chart. We'd have been stupid to pass him up sitting there at 23 when we have no real viable RB's that can give us a solid 1-2 punch behind Willie so it makes total sense. With Williams, Albert, Otah, Groves, all off the board; basically everybody we all liked interior line wise was gone so Rashard was a good pick.

JoeThomas
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
im with all of you. i love the draft so for 2 days im impartial to being a fan. i have no doubt he will be a solid player for you. he slipped and i was shocked to see him there. but IMO id of taken a guy who could have stepped in at another position and played every down rather then a combo guy who will see the field 30% of the time to start. great prospect to me, but wrong team. still, he is a great talent. could have done worse.

K Train
04-27-2008, 11:56 AM
i just thought about mendenhall killing the browns....it was awesome

steelersgal86
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM

:hilarious::hilarious: now that is a great thought:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM

and watching Sweed torch Cleveland like Santonio does to the Bengals :lol:

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
im with all of you. i love the draft so for 2 days im impartial to being a fan. i have no doubt he will be a solid player for you. he slipped and i was shocked to see him there. but IMO id of taken a guy who could have stepped in at another position and played every down rather then a combo guy who will see the field 30% of the time to start. great prospect to me, but wrong team. still, he is a great talent. could have done worse.

could have done a lot worse....we could have had no day one picks.

BlitzburghNation
04-27-2008, 12:06 PM

:clap: EXACTLY :clap:

:brownssign::brownssuck::brownssign:

JoeThomas
04-27-2008, 12:10 PM
could have done a lot worse....we could have had no day one picks.

ya and we coulda done nothing in the offseason too. hope justin hartwig works out for you.

TampaSteelGirl
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Although I dont really know about these college players since I don't watch much college ball, everyone seems pleased with our pics. I definately think we needed that RB for sure. I"m happy to see that. My concern is still for the O-line. Is there anyone out there who would be a good pick for our O-line? I think we need someone special there. I"m hoping they have their eye on someone. ANy thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

I like that thought as well!! :yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
ya and we coulda done nothing in the offseason too. hope justin hartwig works out for you.

he will...not like he has anyone in the division to block...lol.

**** even Mahan owned the browns last year.

We improve through the draft....you guys tried to daniel snyder it this year...and over payed for a crappy QB....well .....two of them. I'm happy with the fact that we have one more RB who will gain over 100 yards against the browns. I guess you're happy with your moves....b/c you dont know any better.