PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed - WR - 2nd round, 53rd overall selection

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Wow, Ben has some serious weapons on offense now with Sweed in the fold. Talk about some threats!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, Ben has some serious weapons on offense now with Sweed in the fold. Talk about some threats!

I love the new direction of the Pittsburgh Steelers on offense...You draft a franchise QB you need to put weapons all around him....Especially since the top OL were gone...I still think we need some OT help.....

You can't pass up on Sweed in the 2nd round...I'm hoping for DL or OL in the 3rd round...Zuttah or Kendall Langford...

Prosdo
04-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the Burgh Sweed. This offense is gonna be crazy. Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Miller, Spaeth, Parker, and Mendenhall! I can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AHAhZsrEL4

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
incredible

Koopa
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
i've seen him play his whole college career, and now i'll see him during his pro career, until the rooneys refuse to pay him to stay

he's gotten better every year, he would have had a big year if he hadn't got hurt, he makes big catches in big time moments, he has national championship experience.......... he's gonna be a great number 3

hook 'em horns baby

Ambridge
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Pffft!! :sleepy:

Sweed is hot and cold.......not much excitement here.
I would have went with the best available O-lineman instead.

BlitzburghNation
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the video Prosdo,,,,,,,,,, :bigthumb:

Man he's got some great hands !

steelersgal86
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
thanks for the video :yellowthumb: very nice....cant wait to see these guys in action:tt02::tt02:

SteelerDan43
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't like the pick, he's a less talented Plexico... Great athletic skills no doubt but can't keep his head in the game, takes plays off, and drops easy balls after making some ridiculous circus catch...

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Pffft!! :sleepy:

Sweed is hot and cold.......not much excitement here.
I would have went with the best available O-lineman instead.

i wish you were our coach...you just have the best ideas, even though all the lineman to give a **** about are gone

Koopa
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't like the pick, he's a less talented Plexico... Great athletic skills no doubt but can't keep his head in the game, takes plays off, and drops easy balls after making some ridiculous circus catch...

the **** are you talking about?? did you only watch his freshman year??? he's been big for ut in his sophomore and junior year

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
sweed is an awesome pick plain and simple, great guy to have when ward ultimately dies

SteelerDan43
04-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Just because he comes up with a big play in college doesn't mean to much... In college you can get away with superior athletic skill and no football sense, its a different game in the nfl...

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
but just cause dan connor went to penn state he must be awesome....get over it

JB 67
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
love this pick

Prosdo
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM

I agree and I am a student at PSU. Limas Sweed is a nice addition.

SteelerDan43
04-26-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't even like Penn State so that is a moot point... I prefer my players to understand where you need to be and when, once again in college if your bigger and faster than you can make up for it, but in the NFL is all about knowing where your supposed to be and anticipating the play... Look at Puz up in Buffalo , he isn't a great athlete but understands the game, I think a good "quarterback" type of guy in the middle of your defense is a better pick and more valuable to the team than a guy who's method of receiving is heave it high and out jump them. Farrior is getting towards his end, I don't feel that Timmons has the makeup to be that leader of the Linebackers

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
and why not? because he had a groin injury? the man plays with a fire...just give him time to find his place on a defense loaded with LBs, connor isnt the answer

Koopa
04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
if connor is such a good player why is everyone passing up on that bum??

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
i mean such a deep understanding of the game and being from penn state makes you an awesome linebacker....really you dont even have to be a linebacker if you have those credentials

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Love the 1st 2 picks, With Hines grooming sweed he'll be a Pro-Bowler in no time.Bout time the Steelers got some offensive weapons.Can't wait till this summer to see these guys in the Black and Gold.

SteelerDan43
04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
if connor is such a good player why is everyone passing up on that bum??

That makes no sense as Sweed got passed on umpteen times

K Train
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
i hate how much ward gets paid since he doesnt produce all that much anymore...but damn i see alot of ward in holmes and thats the best thing for young WRs....sweed will thrive here

Ambridge
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
i wish you were our coach...you just have the best ideas, even though all the lineman to give a shiat about are gone

Ahem!!....Oh Master of the Obvious!!
There's this thing called the top rated Offensive Lineman coming into the NFL Draft. Usually put out by Pro Football Weekly and a plethora of other College and Pro Football publications.
Most of the ratings/rankings go from the best 70-100 players available.
I'm sure after the top 10-15 are taken there were plenty for the Steelers to start looking at the best of the rest.

K Train
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
but why reach? notice how those guys are still available? i know all about the best of the rest and they are pretty good, but reaching is never a good idea in the later rounds so im sure we will look at some of them, but we'll look at them when its time for them to be looked at...you know in the next FIVE rounds

Ambridge
04-26-2008, 10:16 PM
but why reach? notice how those guys are still available? i know all about the best of the rest and they are pretty good, but reaching is never a good idea in the later rounds so im sure we will look at some of them, but we'll look at them when its time for them to be looked at...you know in the next FIVE rounds

I think reaching is trying to get lucky in rounds 4 through 7 which are the rounds the Steelers haven't drafted very well in the last few seasons if I'm not mistaken.
Offensive line is an obvious priority to me so it just makes sense to take what you can while the opportunity is there.

black an gold 4 life
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
great job i wanted them 2 go o-line an cornerback 1st an 2nd , but after watching the videos on the 2 picks, thank u steelers, our offense should b an beast this year...........

TEEMONT
04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I like the Mendenhall pick, no complaints there at all.

I really wanted Malcolm Kelly though. He seems to have the whole route running thing together. Sweed is an ok guy, but will be a career 3rd WR. I would rather have a guy who can run some routes, and get open, over a guy who just out jumps people.....in college........

Not upset with the Sweed pick since I felt we needed WR and he wass the best available, just really wanted Kelly.

Koopa
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
That makes no sense as Sweed got passed on umpteen times

he didn't get passed up at least twice by every team in the league

steelcitysfinestXL
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Sweed is a great mix ouf what we needed... a deep threat that will stretch the field. A tall WR to shut ben up. Plus someone to drive nate to try and win his role (which he wont cause sweed is much better) Dude this shouldnt be a suprise to ANY steeler fan. We took the 2 players with very high value. Kolbert said it all offseason, were gonna draft the best players avail. day 1... GREAT PICKS!!!

TEEMONT
04-26-2008, 10:35 PM

your butt hurtness when someone talks **** on a UT player...is hilarious

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I think the only surprise was Mendenhall and Sweed falling to us in each round....lol I'm thrilled with the picks myself...

SteelerDan43
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM

He was the 8th WR taken while there has only been 4 linebackers taken, only one of which plays in inside taken. Why would teams take someone who they can get later and cheaper in the 3rd? Doesn't make much sense, Teams were eager to get wide receivers once the first few went off the board so the teams took them now before they were all gone... It doesn't exactly mean that they were the best player for the team at the time or will have the most impact...

Stairwayto7
04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
??????

I waited to read everybodies elses takes, before chyming in! I`m excited, but I`m not sure where our priorities lie? I know an O-line mne has to be next

K Train
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
He was the 8th WR taken while there has only been 4 linebackers taken, only one of which plays in inside taken. Why would teams take someone who they can get later and cheaper in the 3rd? Doesn't make much sense, Teams were eager to get wide receivers once the first few went off the board so the teams took them now before they were all gone... It doesn't exactly mean that they were the best player for the team at the time or will have the most impact...

regardless....sweed is way more talented than donnie avery and jerome simpson who i didnt even think would sniff the start of the 3rd round. Devin Thomas and Malcolm kelly are in the same league with sweed and i think hardy is a little bitch (sorry 32 lol). we got a good one imo

Black@Gold Forever32
04-26-2008, 11:05 PM
regardless....sweed is way more talented than donnie avery and jerome simpson who i didnt even think would sniff the start of the 3rd round. Devin Thomas and Malcolm kelly are in the same league with sweed and i think hardy is a little bitch (sorry 32 lol). we got a good one imo

Hardy will be the best WR in this class....But I'm fine with Sweed....Hardy was off the board anyway when the Steelers picked in the 2nd...lol So I can't complain when the guy I wanted was off the board and the Steelers still got great value in Sweed.....

Troyisabeast_43
04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
You have no idea....Ben is going to have so many great weapons next year its not even funny. Granted Willie Parker stays healthy, we'll have a great wide receiver package (hopefully Washington can get it together too), two reliable tight ends, and two explosive wide outs. We have 4 more picks and hopefully we can strengthen our O-line and secondary with those picks in Day 2. As a Penn State fan, I'm hoping Justin King drops to us in the 3rd round.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
They interviewed coach tomlin on espn news and asked him if the offense is gonna turn out to be a 40pt offense.he said he would'nt mind it because you have to score pts to win.can you imagine that watching the steeler offense putting 30-40pts on the board every sunday WOW! now big? for that to happen is the offense line. I think the O-line will quickly find out, poor play will not be tolerated. This is now an explosive offense capable of putting up 30+ points game after game. The only thing that can hold us back is the O-line. Come on Coach Z, coach 'em up.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I think the only surprise was Mendenhall and Sweed falling to us in each round....lol I'm thrilled with the picks myself...

Really at this point considering who all was gone before we got to choose Im excited too. No way I thought Rashard would be there at 23 I figured he'd go between 10-17 and Sweed would be gone by late 1st round or early 2nd. Ben has all the weapons on offense that he needs now. Once those 2 get some playing time we have the potential to have the most potent Steeler offense most of us have ever seen.

Now though starting tomorrow it's time to see who's there for us on the interior lines. I'd love to see us grab Langford tomorrow in the 3rd.

K Train
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
thank god ben is elusive lol

Troyisabeast_43
04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Really at this point considering who all was gone before we got to choose Im excited too. No way I thought Rashard would be there at 23 I figured he'd go between 10-17 and Sweed would be gone by late 1st round or early 2nd. Ben has all the weapons on offense that he needs now. Once those 2 get some playing time we have the potential to have the most potent Steeler offense most of us have ever seen.

Now though starting tomorrow it's time to see who's there for us on the interior lines. I'd love to see us grab Langford tomorrow in the 3rd.

Aside from Rachal...who went before our 2nd pick and would have been a tragic reach at 23. This really confirms that Mendenhall and Sweed were the right picks. We ALL want the OL to be stronger, but to take one after the way round 1 played out would have been foolish. And anyone whining about it is a fool. Almost every 2nd tier OL prospect is still on the board. I kinda like Hills and Nicks. Hopefully one will be there for us in the 3rd.

K Train
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
dont say tony hills around koop lol

nicks or collins would be an ok pick

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the video Prosdo,,,,,,,,,, :bigthumb:

Man he's got some great hands !

:plus1: Some of those 1 handed grabs were really impressive. Although we are overpaying for Ward he is still an asset. He is a great possession receiver and there is still none better at leveling a CB on a running play! Holmes is our home run threat and we will have to see where Sweed fits in. #4 behind Washington? Will Dallas Baker compete for #4? Will Willie Reid even bother to show up for camp? :lol:

It would be a mistake to underestimate how much of an advantage Washington will have for the #3. Route running is a learned skill and Washington has a few years head start over Sweed. Question will be how much progress Dallas Baker has made on the practice squad for a year. Reid is training camp fodder, hopefully he has a real degree because he may need it!

Koopa
04-27-2008, 01:03 AM
sweed will beat out washington with ease....... now we have 4 legit threats at wr, and one badass tight end........

stlrbum
04-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Like this pick also! Was hoping for Malcolm Kelly, but Washington beat us to him.

MillerTime83
04-27-2008, 06:16 AM
These two picks are amazing!!!! I really wanted groves, but Sweed was my next pick after Jags took him. Best player av... period. Ben now has the weapons to put up Manning/Brady(before moss) numbers. Shocked!?!?!? yeah I said it!But MillerTime...... what about our O Line!? There are still 5 OL prospects I like on the board so we can still grab one up with one of our next 2 picks.

I know we have a harder schedule this year but we have more weapons on offense and our big nasty d will keep us from losing games if we are scoring as much as i think we will with Sweed and Mendenhall. :yellowthumb:

Now if we can get any of these guys in the 3rd/4th. :crossfingers:

DE Langford,Dre More
LB Avril,Connor
CB King
OL Nicks,Collins,Cousins,Zuttah,Greco,

and maybe a Silva in the 5th.

ITS SO FRUSTRATING NOT HAVING EXTRA PICKS AND WATCHING GUYS YOU LIKE COME OFF THE BOARD.:eyecrazy::banging::eyecrazy:

K Train
04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
it was an awesome feeling sitting there when washinton was on the clock and knowing we were almost certainly walking away with groves or sweed lol

BlackGold4vr
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Langford is gone! :cursin:

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Like Sweed, didn't think they would go WR that early.

TampaSteelGirl
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Very impressive, I wanted to say that their QB looked great too so with an awesome QB like Ben he are going to have an explosive offensive. Just still very concerned about our Oline becuase without a great line it doesn't matter who we have offensively without Ben not having access to get the ball down the field to our WRs.

Mike Tomlin
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
How many teams 4th or even 3rd corner can hold this guy one on one. If he use his size to his advantage like he did in college he'll be instant redzone offense....just add water.

SteelerSteve
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Ben will throw for over 4,000 yards and 35 td's this year! mark it down :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Ben will throw for over 4,000 yards and 35 td's this year! mark it down :yellowthumb:

I called Ben throwing for 30 TDs last year....I agree he could throw for 35+ but I don't see 4000 yards....It would be hard for any Steeler QB to throw for 4000 yards....I think 3500 is more like it....Maybe 3700 at tops...

SteelerSteve
04-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I called Ben throwing for 30 TDs last year....I agree he could throw for 35+ but I don't see 4000 yards....It would be hard for any Steeler QB to throw for 4000 yards....I think 3500 is more like it....Maybe 3700 at tops...
:lol: well, maybe I am just a little excited about getting another great wr, I will be happy with 3500 yards. I still will say 4,000 and hope for the best though lol. Actually the main concern for me is alot of td's and few int's.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I want to see Sweed make an impact right away on this team in 2008. He's got the physical tools plus he'll be playing with a chip on this shoulder that he dropped to late round 2. He's gone to push Nate right off the bat and we've now got 4 legit threats at WR plus Heath and Matt Spaeth. Ben must be drooling over the chance to run this offense this coming year.

SteelerSteve
04-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I want to see Sweed make an impact right away on this team in 2008. He's got the physical tools plus he'll be playing with a chip on this shoulder that he dropped to late round 2. He's gone to push Nate right off the bat and we've now got 4 legit threats at WR plus Heath and Matt Spaeth. Ben must be drooling over the chance to run this offense this coming year.
For sure, and with the no.1 ranked defense last year I cant wait to see this team in action:yellowthumb:

Koopa
04-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Limas Sweed, the son of a preacher man, got most of his professional teaching from his mother. She was the sports person in the family, not his father, who really wasn't into the "whole sports thing."

But Sweed's mom, a self-avowed sports fan, knew mostly about basketball. So she wanted her son, who was 6 feet 2 in the seventh grade, to be a basketball player and pushed him in that direction.

"From the time I was born, basically, I thought I was going to be a basketball player," Sweed said. "Then I played my first football game and caught my first pass, my eyes were so big and I was so nervous ... but I can remember catching that pass and having that feeling.

"And from then on it was just football, football, football."

Turned out to be a good decision, not only for Sweed, a 6-41/2, 219-pound wide receiver from the University of Texas, but also for the Steelers, who used their second pick in the NFL draft, 53rd overall, to select him -- a player they had rated among the top 25 overall prospects in the draft.

"He made up his mind, that's what he's going to do," said Glen West, Sweed's head coach at Brenham High School in Texas. "He said, I'm going to play professional football ... With him, it was matter of fact."

After he was drafted by the Steelers, Sweed received a congratulatory call from another former Texas receiver -- Roy Williams, a player to whom Sweed has been compared.

But Williams, the seventh overall pick of the Detroit Lions in the 2004 NFL draft, is faster than Sweed, who was timed at 4.5 in the 40-yard dash.

"He's kind of been like a brother to me, a mentor," Sweed said.

There was another reason for the comparison: Sweed chose to wear No. 4 at Texas, the number Williams used to wear with the Longhorns.

"A lot of people worried when Limas tried to wear the same one," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "But he represented that number well. Limas has left a legacy at Texas. He's got great speed and great hands. We think he can be a true star in the NFL."

Curiously, Sweed had a chance to skip his final year at Texas and enter the NFL draft after the 2006 season. But he decided to return for his senior year and get his degree, even though the decision might have cost him a few bonus dollars. Bothered by a wrist problem that had been nagging him since August, Sweed had surgery to correct ligament damage and missed the final seven games last season.

The Steelers, though, are convinced Sweed's wrist injury is fully healed and will not be a problem when he gets to training camp.

Sweed ran, but did not catch passes, at the NFL's Scouting Combine in February, leading some to believe his injury was not fully healed. But, in an attempt to convince NFL scouts and coaches otherwise, he caught passes and ran again during his Pro Day workout.

Make no mistake, Sweed can run. And jump. In high school, he ran track and competed in the 110-meter high hurdles, finishing third in the state finals. The combination of size, speed, vertical leap and strength -- he could bench-press 325 pounds as a senior -- made him difficult to defend. It was the reason he had 31 touchdowns among his 71 career receptions.

Sweed began his high school career as a safety, starting as a sophomore. But when the offense got near the goal line, he was used as a receiver. He started at receiver as a junior.

"His mom really wanted him to be a basketball player because he was always a big individual," West said.

At Texas, Sweed finished second in school history with 20 touchdown catches and fifth in yards receiving (1,915). What's more, he started 39 games in a row before he had surgery Oct. 16 to correct ligament damage in his wrist and missed the final seven games of the 2007 season.

That injury may be why he slipped to the second round.

"That was unexpected," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "Like [Rashard] Mendenhall was unexpected at No. 1."

He was smiling when he said that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08119/877256-66.stm

good read imo.......... now that i think of it, being second all time in tds for ut is amazing, he'd have so much more if he didn't play two years with vince young, i love vince, but not even roy williams would have had that many tds as he finished with had he played all his career with vince.......... limas is gonna be a bad *** third option

it gives me chills thinking about next year, we got ward, holmes, heath and now sweed in the passing game, then you got willie and mendenhall in the running game....... we are gonna be so badass especially if aaron smith comes back heathly and helps our dline........ damn i can't wait lol

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Plus you know his pride probably has to be stung even alittle bit not going in the 1st round or early 2nd so he'll definitely be looking to prove to the rest of the league that they made a mistake passing on him.

Steel58
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
can't wait and see what this kid can do!:cope:

Steel58
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
I can't wait and see what this offense is going to do!!!:cope::helmet: