PDA

View Full Version : Ben grows as leader, QB

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2008, 06:28 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08114/875612-66.stm

"Whatever they decide to do in the draft, I guess we'll see how it fits in."
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
As a rite of spring, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger repeated his annual Steelers address yesterday. He wants to become even more of a leader, and it has nothing to do with his new $102 million contract.

"I'm just growing as a leader and a quarterback. That's my natural growing and maturation here on this team," Roethlisberger said after he and his teammates completed their second organized spring practice.

Even as he enters his fifth NFL season, Roethlisberger keeps learning that what he does and what he says can affect those around him. In mid-January, for example, he issued a wish list for the offseason.

He said he'd like a new contract, he'd like the Steelers to re-sign Alan Faneca and he'd like a tall wide receiver, explaining that he always will ask for a tall wide receiver.

More than a week later, Hines Ward did not react kindly to that latter thought by his quarterback, seeing it as a slap in the face to the current Steelers receivers. Roethlisberger immediately called Ward and the two had a long talk and reached a mutual understanding.

So when Roethlisberger was asked yesterday if a tall receiver in this weekend's draft might help the offense, he responded much more diplomatically.

"We have a great offense right now," he said. "We've added some weapons around the ball and some guys we feel can be very good. We have a lot of pieces to the puzzle in place, we just have to put them together. Whatever they decide to do in the draft, I guess we'll see how it fits in."

While needs in his offensive line, along with another receiver and a blue-collar back are obvious, Roethlisberger issued no wish list for the weekend's picks.

"I'll keep tabs when it's our pick," he said. "It may take four hours, five hours to get to our pick. I'll watch and see how we're doing. If we get an offensive guy at whatever position, I usually try to get his phone number and give him a call and tell him it's nice to have him, congratulations and stuff."

Roethlisberger did offer some public advice, from personal experience, to Willie Parker on how to come back from an injury: Have confidence.

"You have to, if you don't have confidence in your body and that it's going to hold up, that's how you get hurt. He's done a great job out here and he'll continue to grow and get better.

"That's the thing coming back from injuries -- can you let your body go, can you play like you used to? You can come out here and practice all you want.

"Once the hitting starts, then we'll see. I have all the confidence that Willie has confidence in himself in the healing that his body's done. And I think he'll be just fine."

I'm not sure any professional athlete can imagine how much influence they have on not only their teammates and the front office but with the city and fans in general. With a city like Pittsburgh that loves it's sports so much, when a guy with the status of Big Ben talks, people will listen no matter what he has to say.

steelersgal86
04-23-2008, 06:32 AM
nice read:yellowthumb: all that money would make me become a leader :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2008, 07:23 AM
When you have your own brand of beef jerky and you live in PA then people will listen to you regardless of whether you're a sports star or not :lol:

NOVA STEELERS
04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Good read :bigthumb: Thanks for sharing :clap:

Iron City South
04-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Ben loves to "wordsmith" when it comes to issues of leadership; In other words, "he talks a good game" ..... This is probably why his teammates turn the other way when it comes time to voting for the team MVP.

True leaders don't mind pissing off their lineman to perform at a higher level when they aren't getting it done. If Ben gave anymore false accolades to his lineman after they stunk it up in many games last year, I thought I was going to puke. You don't get knocked on your *** all game then give a post game interview talking about how "well" you thought your O'lineman performed.

TEEMONT
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Ben loves to "wordsmith" when it comes to issues of leadership; In other words, "he talks a good game" ..... This is probably why his teammates turn the other way when it comes time to voting for the team MVP.

True leaders don't mind pissing off their lineman to perform at a higher level when they aren't getting it done. If Ben gave anymore false accolades to his lineman after they stunk it up in many games last year, I thought I was going to puke. You don't get knocked on your *** all game then give a post game interview talking about how "well" you thought your O'lineman performed.

god dammit......i agree.

ejsteeler
04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree with ICS and TEEMONT to a degree. Berating them in a national interview would be very counter productive, in most cases. We can only hope he lays into these guys when he has the chance to do it in a more proper forum.
Hope is one of those four letter words that can be a person salvation or downfall though.....:scratch:

DIESELMAN
04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Gotta agree with ICS also. Kinda like Eli in NY, he kept taking crap and taking crap and talking like the nice guy until one day he snapped and went the **** off. So yeah a true leader speaks his mind when he needs to and doesn't pull a Peyton and throw anyone under the bus in public. Respect is earned through playing and also holding not only yourself accountable but everybody else around you.

Steel58
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Ben needs to take over and be a leader for this team.:tt02:

SteelerSteve
04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
If you think about it, our recieving core is actually pretty solid. We have a tough possesion wr in Ward, a speedy deep threat in Holmes and a big athletic target in miller. Not to forget a young guy with some speed and potential in washington.:2cents:

steelcityrockers
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
It isn't bad, but if we could add someone and make Nate the 4th, it would be much better.

SteelerSteve
04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
It isn't bad, but if we could add someone and make Nate the 4th, it would be much better.for sure, it could use improvement, Ward definitley isn't young. Who knows, maybe we'll get a solid guy in the draft.

Iron City South
04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
If you think about it, our recieving core is actually pretty solid. We have a tough possesion wr in Ward, a speedy deep threat in Holmes and a big athletic target in miller. Not to forget a young guy with some speed and potential in washington.:2cents:

They need to get Ward in the slot in his last few years; he'll better serve the team in that role. This means we need to find a worthy flanker opposite of Holmes. The Steelers still lack the big bodied, physical WR that has become the prototype around the league.

Limas Sweed would certainly look good in black & gold. :yellowthumb:

KSSteelerfan
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Gotta agree with ICS also. Kinda like Eli in NY, he kept taking crap and taking crap and talking like the nice guy until one day he snapped and went the **** off. So yeah a true leader speaks his mind when he needs to and doesn't pull a Peyton and throw anyone under the bus in public. Respect is earned through playing and also holding not only yourself accountable but everybody else around you.

Well said.:yellowthumb:

portcityblackandgold
04-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Leadership is a quality that a person obtains through their experiences. There is no clear cut way to become a successful leader. Big Ben's spirituality is very strong. His successes are a testimony to that. He will become the leader that the team needs.

SteelerSteve
04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
They need to get Ward in the slot in his last few years; he'll better serve the team in that role. This means we need to find a worthy flanker opposite of Holmes. The Steelers still lack the big bodied, physical WR that has become the prototype around the league.

Limas Sweed would certainly look good in black & gold. :yellowthumb: Well, now we have sweed:yellowthumb:

Iron City South
04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Tomlin was evidently reading this board ...

Stairwayto7
04-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Limas Sweed would certainly look good in black & gold. :yellowthumb:

Good call! And Ward should be the slot I agree!

K Train
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
ward played in the slot most of last year, he might be the best slot WR to ever live