PDA

View Full Version : Colon to LG?

K Train
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
With Max Starks signed for the upcoming season, the Steelers will take a look at Willie Colon at guard during offseason practices, which started Monday at the team's South Side facility.
Colon beat out Starks for the starting job at right tackle last season, but the Steelers have an opening at left guard because of the loss of Pro Bowler Alan Faneca to free agency.

Starks started four games at left tackle for Marvel Smith last season. Smith, who took part in yesterday's practice, apparently has made a full recovery from the back problems that plagued him in 2007.

The Steelers could move Colon to guard after seeing how he handles the position during offseason practices or have the third-year man and Starks again compete for the starting job at right tackle during training camp.

its what weve been saying all along...not a surprise

steelcityrockers
04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Probably were he would best fit. I really like Kemosomething but he really cant do anything save for run-blocking

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I think Willie Colon will be a nasty OG and really think its in his best interest to move to OG.....

K Train
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
i really think he will be ****ing awesome and taking fanecas spot is the best place for him imo

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
i really think he will be ****ing awesome and taking fanecas spot is the best place for him imo

I called it last year that he was better suited at OG....:lol: I just didn't see him as an NFL OT....I really think OL might be totally off the Steelers radar in the first round ...Now if Brandon Albert is there then I think they would draft him with his potential to play LT one day....

K Train
04-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I called it last year that he was better suited at OG....:lol: I just didn't see him as an NFL OT....I really think OL might be totally off the Steelers radar in the first round ...Now if Brandon Albert is there then I think they would draft him with his potential to play LT one day....

lol well you werent sold on that idea a few weeks ago, i like colon, i like him alot, hes got what it takes imo and hes nasty. he might not be the best tackle ever but he was more than sevicable and that experience only helped him if you ask me, he got thrown into the mix early and did ok

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
lol well you werent sold on that idea a few weeks ago, i like colon, i like him alot, hes got what it takes imo and hes nasty. he might not be the best tackle ever but he was more than sevicable and that experience only helped him if you ask me, he got thrown into the mix early and did ok

What wasn't I sold on? If you're talking about Willie Colon to OG...We argued last year about Willie Colon moving to OG...You stated you didn't want to play musical OL....As for Willie Colon being a serviceable OT is just laughable....I guess giving up a ton of sacks is serviceable? Now he will be a very solid OG and really think this move will help our OL....I stated a few weeks ago that I didn't know for sure that Willie Colon will move to OG since the Steelers coaches have never mentioned it until now...It was my opinion that he was an OG...Looks like I was right....

If you're talking about me not being sold on Brandon Albert playing LT...I never said that...I said I didn't care if he could play LT or not...I was happy with him being a dominating OG....Its funny you like Albert so much since you hate OL that can play multiple positions...lol

K Train
04-22-2008, 07:10 PM
What wasn't I sold on? If you're talking about Willie Colon to OG...We argued last year about Willie Colon moving to OG...You stated you didn't want to play musical OL....As for Willie Colon being a serviceable OT is just laughable....I guess giving up a ton of sacks is serviceable? Now he will be a very solid OG and really think this move will help our OL....I stated a few weeks ago that I didn't know for sure that Willie Colon will move to OG since the Steelers coaches have never mentioned it until now...It was my opinion that he was an OG...Looks like I was right....

If you're talking about me not being sold on Brandon Albert playing LT...I never said that...I said I didn't care if he could play LT or not...I was happy with him being a dominating OG....Its funny you like Albert so much since you hate OL that can play multiple positions...lol

no no i hate olineman that are said to play multiple positions because they suck at all of them lol...like mahan, they can sell him to us as versatile as they want...he sucks no matter where he is lol. Albert is just a pimp and will dominate anywhere on the line, i think hes better suited at tackle though with his long *** arms and great lateral movement. versatility usually means bum to me but there are exceptions lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
no no i hate olineman that are said to play multiple positions because they suck at all of them lol...like mahan, they can sell him to us as versatile as they want...he sucks no matter where he is lol. Albert is just a pimp and will dominate anywhere on the line, i think hes better suited at tackle though with his long *** arms and great lateral movement. versatility usually means bum to me but there are exceptions lol

I hear you K.......Yea I think Brandon Albert is "The Truth".......Play him at OG or LT....even center and he will be a badass....:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
If Albert is there, which he probably won't be, but if he is we'd be absolutely stupid to not take him. The dude can be the dominating Guard for us for a long time to come. This whole situation is one big pain in the *** because we've got a bunch of guys on the line who didn't play well last year so now we're trying them at different spots this year.

If Colon can play the position well then by all means let him go for it, get Max back at RT, Hartwig at Center and let's get this going.

TEEMONT
04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
The more I think about our line...especially with the signing of Hartwig, the more I think it can be better than last year, even without Faneca, who you all know I am a huge fan of.

Some reshuffling should in order, and I really feel Simmons needs to fight for his job this year, w/ Colon and Kemoatu.

Starks had better sign some kind of long term deal though, no way in hell is he worth that tender.

DIESELMAN
04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Starks had better sign some kind of long term deal though, no way in hell is he worth that tender.

Colbert has already come out and said they would try and get something long term done. So here's hoping they do get it done. :yellowthumb:

“It would give us salary-cap relief,” Colbert said. “It’s our goal and I know it’s his goal and (agent) Eugene Parker’s as well, so we’re going to keep those talks alive because there are benefits for everybody involved.”

Iron City South
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
So basically here's your opening day starting OL (w/o considering the draft):

Smith / Colon / Hartwig / Simmons / Starks

2nd Team / Bench:

Essex
Stapleton
Mahan
Kemo

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I still think Essex and Stapleton are on the hot seat...Stapleton especially because we now have Hartwig and Mahan who can both play Center. Essex because drafting a Tackle on day 1 will probably make him an odd man out too.

K Train
04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
mahan can play center? lol

$teelersRule
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
im not sure if we should get rid of Stapleton just yet because hartwig is only signed for 2 years and he might be ready step in by then. that is if he is showing anything to lead the coaches to believe that is the case now. but who knows? certainly not me :scratch:

Iron City South
04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Steelers will hang on to Stapleton. Long-snappers are in demand around the league.

K Train
04-23-2008, 11:02 AM
hes not a long snapper....

DIESELMAN
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
The Steelers seen something in Stapleton, hurt in preseason last year and being a UDFA, he still made the team ahead of Stephenson who supposedly had a better pedigree. He's gotten up to 315 lbs, so he shows he can add the bulk, he just needs to get stronger with that added weight.

ejsteeler
04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
So basically here's your opening day starting OL (w/o considering the draft):

Smith / Colon / Hartwig / Simmons / Starks

2nd Team / Bench:

Essex
Stapleton
Mahan
Kemo

Looks like an o-line that can give Ben a chance and Willie a couple fo steps to me. Not too deep though...

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I always felt that if Starks played to his potential he can be a great linemen. I've seen him play amazing at times and I've seen him play Horrible at times. But if i look at our line now there really is not any glaring needs the worst player on the line in my opinion is Hartwig. But I wish Capizzi will start for this team one day he's a monster. id rather us get Johnathon Stewert or Matt Hardy over a linemen because im confident in the group now because of Moving Colon back to his real postion.

but.. if Starks is still going to suck and Smith is never going to be the same and if Simmons is slowly getting worse then I would really want a linemen in the first round.

K Train
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
capizzi is just a huge *** dude who will go through life being that huge *** dude

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
did you see him in preseason tho he beasted... but it is just preseason

K Train
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
hes entirely to heavy on his feet, making him just a big *** dude

steelcityrockers
04-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Matt Hardy

Who in the hell is that?

TEEMONT
04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Who in the hell is that?

a WWE wrestler

K Train
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
james hardy....obviously

steelcityrockers
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I figured that, I just felt like being an ***.

K Train
04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I figured that, I just felt like being an ***.

i know i almost did the same thing lol

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-23-2008, 09:30 PM
sorry james hardy haha i watch way too much wrestling

Steel58
04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
let Kemotu play the position.

K Train
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
kemoeatu is just not very talented imo

BlackGold4vr
04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
kemoeatu is just not very talented imo

If he cannot secure a starting job this year he should be cut from the 45 man roster. Okay, you couldn't supplant a 7 time pro-bowler, thats understandable. But he is gone and it is an open competition for the spot that you were drafted for and you still can't win it outright? Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya! Back-ups are supposed to push the starters and make them play harder. Somehow I just don't think that Alan Faneca ever felt the hot acrid breath of Kemoeatu on his shoulders. :lol:

K Train
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
lol that was awesome

steelcityrockers
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Kemoeatu is a mauling run blocker. If he gets a hold of you, you are just done. He is a liability as a pass blocker and is basically useless pulling.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Kemoeatu is a mauling run blocker. If he gets a hold of you, you are just done. He is a liability as a pass blocker and is basically useless pulling.

Which puts in the backup category and leaning more towards the "Im not living up to the position I've been put in so I better watch my back or I'll lose my roster spot" category.

Iron City South
04-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Thank you. You just described a Full Back ....

Either make Kimo a FB or cut him ... :yesnod:

steelcityrockers
04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Actually, in some short yardage situations last yar, they did put him at Full Back.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah they did do that and he did pretty well as I remember. I've always liked Kemoeatu, he's got a mean streak in him, he's tough and powerful but when you can't pull and move as lineman on the Steelers you won't last long. This is a make or break time for him coming up. He'll probably still make the team regardless of whether he wins the LG job or not this July but if we have to count on him for any length of time I'll be pretty worried.