PDA

View Full Version : Titan's Haynesworth loses his cool

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2006, 02:43 AM
If anyone finds the vid of this on youtube or something please post it up. Did anyone see the highlights of that game or watch where after the Cowboys scored, Haynesworth ripped off the helmet of the cowboys center, Jerrod, then stomped on his head while he was on the turf !! :eek:

House of Steel
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
He deserves to be suspended for the entire season for that fiasco. What was the fat *** thinking? That is some bullshit unsportsmanlike conduct.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Im gessing they'll give him about a 4 game suspension for this, without pay. He basically just lost his cool and let the frustration of losing get out of control. He seems like a decent enough guy and his apology on ESPN last night was sincere...still though, you just can't do something like that, it's completely uncalled, unprofessional, unsportmanslike, and just downright stupid.

House of Steel
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflfilms/demand/s2006/nflcom/w04/Cowboys_Titans_Short_300k.rm&rpcontexturl=http://www.nfl.com/fieldpass/includes/2006_week4_recap&rpcontextwidth=500

That is the best video I've found, but it is a game summary of the game. The incident is on it.

AZ_Steeler
10-02-2006, 10:53 AM
ESPN showed the highlight! It was totaly uncalled for and the Cowboy required like 30 stitches or something. I don't know if a 4 game suspension is sufficient? He basically used his cleats as a weapon and assaulted another player, this is kind of like the hockey player who used his stick to knock that dude out and put him in the hospital! I would say kick his *** out for the rest of the season, send him to anger management classes and re-evalute him before the start of next season. That was way beyond a personal foul!

House of Steel
10-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Titans' Haynesworth Suspended 5 Games

UPDATED: 5:20 pm EDT October 2, 2006

NEW YORK -- Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was given a five-game suspension -- the longest for on-field behavior in NFL history -- for stomping on Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode's head and kicking him in the face Sunday.

The NFL said Monday that Haynesworth was suspended for flagrant unnecessary roughness. The suspension, which is without pay, is effective immediately. Haynesworth will be eligible to return Nov. 19 for the Titans' game at Philadelphia.

"There is absolutely no place in the game, or anywhere else, for the inexcusable action that occurred in yesterday's Titans-Cowboys game," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

Haynesworth was penalized and ejected from the game early in the third quarter after stomped on Gurode's head, causing his helmet to pop off, then kicking him again following a 5-yard touchdown run by Julius Jones of the Cowboys.

Gurode received stitches above his forehead and beneath his eye.

"What I did out there was disgusting," Haynesworth said Sunday. "It doesn't matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can't describe it."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher said Haynesworth's actions were unacceptable.

"I felt there needed to be some serious action taken from a discipline standpoint, and I believe that what the league has done right now is adequate," Fisher said.

Jones had just scored on a 5-yard run, putting Dallas up 20-6 in what wound up as a 45-14 victory. Gurode said they hadn't been talking or having any exchanges that led to Haynesworth kicking him twice.

"In all my years of football, this has never happened to me. I've never been kicked in the face like this, and I've never seen anybody kick nobody else in the face," Gurode said.

Before Monday, the longest suspension for on-field behavior was two games for Green Bay defensive lineman Charles Martin for throwing Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon to the ground during a game on Nov. 23, 1986. McMahon landed on his shoulder.

It's the first suspension since 2002 when Rodney Harrison, then with San Diego, was suspended one game for hitting Oakland's Jerry Rice with his helmet. Earlier that season, Denver's Kenoy Kennedy was suspended for a game for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Chris Chambers of Miami.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

He got what was coming, but I think he should of been suspended for the rest of the season for that flagrant Bullshit display he put on. That is too light in my opinion.

Prosdo
10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Damnnnn! What a moron!

Steelersfan
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I agree with you HoS. He should have been suspended longer than 5 games. There was no call for what he did.

AZ_Steeler
10-03-2006, 12:29 AM
This should have been a suspension for the rest of the season! He used his cleats as a weapon!

House of Steel
10-03-2006, 12:30 AM
That is exactly my thoughts. He got off pretty lightly in my opinion. That guy had 30 stitches in his face from that Bullshit melee. That is an assault.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
He should be gone for the year. This five game suspension is :bsflag:

AZ_Steeler
10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Cowboys' Gurode must decide if Haynesworth's suspension is enough

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoO7n7l3X2oj0xZ54sJ0_IlDubYF?slug=ap-titans-haynesworthsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The NFL needed only 24 hours to punish Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth with its longest suspension for on-field behavior.

Now, Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode must decide if five games without pay is enough punishment for Haynesworth.

Gurode has 30 stitches closing the cuts left when the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth knocked off his helmet, then kicked and stomped his face with cleats. Gurode's agent told Nashville police the center would talk with his family about whether to press criminal charges.

"The police department will assist Gurode if he desires to pursue that course of action," the Metro Nashville Police Department said in a statement.

Seemingly everyone who saw repeated replays of the incident wants to help punish the act by a tackle whose temper has gotten him into trouble with teammates and coaches for years.

Nashville police and the local district attorney are the only ones who can help Gurode if he wants to prosecute Haynesworth, and they contacted the Cowboys' general counsel Monday offering to do just that.

However, Gurode wasn't in the Dallas locker room.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said the center lifted weights and could practice Wednesday. Before the suspension came down, linebacker Greg Ellis, the players' union representative, said he had talked with Gurode and thinks it is worth pressing charges or suing if things don't get properly resolved with the league.

Haynesworth apologized to Gurode after being ejected from Sunday's 45-14 loss to Dallas, and said he was disgusted by his own actions.

"I'm not apologizing because I got caught. I'm actually apologizing because of what I did," Haynesworth said. "Even if I didn't get caught, it still makes me sick."

His contrition wasn't enough for new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The league suspended Haynesworth more than twice the length of the previous longest suspension for flagrant unnecessary roughness. It's effective immediately, and it will cost him approximately $190,000.

"There is absolutely no place in the game, or anywhere else, for the inexcusable action that occurred in yesterday's Titans-Cowboys game," Goodell said.

Haynesworth was ejected early in the third quarter following a 5-yard touchdown run by the Cowboys' Julius Jones. He can be seen stomping on Gurode's head, causing his helmet to pop off, then kicking him again.

Jones' touchdown put Dallas up 20-6 on their way to a 45-14 victory. Gurode said after the game he hadn't been talking to Haynesworth and there weren't any exchanges that could have led to the incident.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher said Haynesworth learned of the suspension a few minutes before the league's announcement and that the tackle was remorseful and embarrassed. Haynesworth gave no explanation for his actions.

"This is unprecedented suspension, but I feel like his actions on the field were also unprecedented," Fisher said.

The Cowboys declined to comment after the suspension. Before the announcement, Parcells said Fisher apologized to him and the team after the game. He also thought Haynesworth was contrite after the game, which he was glad to hear.

"Other than that," Parcells said, "it was unfortunate."

Dallas nose tackle Jason Ferguson agreed a suspension was needed and said nothing should push a player that far.

"With the head uncovered, you don't go for that. You're not trying to kill anybody out there," Ferguson said.

Haynesworth's previous problems had been hidden from attention because they took place in practice. As a sophomore at the University of Tennessee, he fought with tackle Will Ofenheusle and left practice, returning with a long pole before coach Phillip Fulmer stopped him. He was suspended for half a game.

During Titans training camp in 2003, Haynesworth kicked center Justin Hartwig, now with Carolina. Charges for an alleged road rage incident earlier this year were dismissed.

Fisher said Haynesworth had been making progress in recent years.

"I am shocked and appalled for this to take place regardless ... whether there have been behavioral issues in the past or not. To me, there's no place for this type of condition on the field," Fisher said.

Before Monday, the longest suspension for on-field behavior was two games -- handed to Green Bay defensive lineman Charles Martin for throwing Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon to the ground during a game on Nov. 23, 1986.

It's the first suspension since 2002 when Rodney Harrison, then with San Diego, was suspended one game for hitting Oakland's Jerry Rice with his helmet. Earlier that season, Denver's Kenoy Kennedy was suspended for a game for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Chris Chambers of Miami.

If charges are brought against Haynesworth, it wouldn't be the first time police got involved following an incident in professional sports.

In the NHL, Todd Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to causing body harm in Vancouver and missed 20 games for a blindside punch that left Colorado forward Steve Moore with broken bones in his neck. And Marty McSorley was convicted of assault with a weapon also by Vancouver authorities for slashing Vancouver's Donald Brashear in the head with his stick in February 2000.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
He needs to let it go, IMO. Haynesworth has a 5 game suspension, without pay, and that's enough. Dragging this out is only going to be a distraction. Yes it was a terrible thing to do, no excuse period, but he's not permantly injured, his career isnt in jeapordy and it's best to just let it fade away.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Haynesworth should be suspended for a full year. This five game slap on the wrist is crap. The NFL needed to send a message that players acting like thugs needs to stop now. I'm sick to my stomach that Haynesworth only got five games. If I would have done that to Top Gun or anybody else on the street. Then I would have been in jail.

AZ_Steeler
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
The hockey dude was suspended for 20 games and how many games to they play 80? 90? So when you look at being suspended 5 games over a 16 game season then it seems to fall right inline with other sports and is acceptable.

I was all for the year suspension but after seeing what others who have used equipment as a weapon got for their suspensions I feel the 5 games is a good number.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
The hickey dude was suspended for 20 games and how many games to they play 80? 90? So when you look at being suspended 5 games over a 16 game season then it seems to fall right inline with other sports and is acceptable.

I was all for the year suspension but after seeing what others who have used equipment as a weapon got for their suspensions I feel the 5 games is a good number.

You make a solid point. But don't you think its time for the NFL to send a message that the NFL will no longer tolerate some of their players acting like thugs? Thats why I wanted him to be suspended for a full year.

AZ_Steeler
10-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Considering the guy won't be paid for these 5 games, and he could even face legal charges... I think that is enough of a penalty. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson and is enrolled in some anger management classes and somthing like this won't happen again. The other thing, this is the biggest suspension ever sent down by the NFL for a personal/flagrant foul penalty.

augustashark
10-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Haynesworth should be suspended for a full year. This five game slap on the wrist is crap. The NFL needed to send a message that players acting like thugs needs to stop now. I'm sick to my stomach that Haynesworth only got five games. If I would have done that to Top Gun or anybody else on the street. Then I would have been in jail.

You're actually sick from this? Wow.

BBG7
10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I can't believe anyone would be that stupid to act like that. I think he definately got what he deserved.

Steelersfan
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
You make a solid point. But don't you think its time for the NFL to send a message that the NFL will no longer tolerate some of their players acting like thugs? Thats why I wanted him to be suspended for a full year.

Another thing to consider is if the NFL would be able to uphold a longer suspension once the players union filed a greivance. Most likely they would lose if they went to far so I'm sure that played a part of the decision by them.

Steelersfan
10-05-2006, 01:14 AM
The union has said it won't appeal his suspension.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9704964

BBG7
10-05-2006, 01:15 AM
good they shouldn't. What he did was completely uncalled for.

augustashark
10-06-2006, 12:59 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-titans-haynesworthsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

Steelersfan
10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I merged this with the original story Shark just so you know.

I'm not sure he got what he deserved myself. I'm sure if anyone signed this guy to their team in the future there would be some kind of clause in his contract to protect the team.

AZ_Steeler
10-06-2006, 03:02 AM
I saw on FoxSports the other night they were interviewing Eddie George and he said this guy has had outburst like this before during practice. This dude obviously has a screw lose and needs to seek some help!

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Titans are not finished yet. More in house discipline comimg....