PDA

View Full Version : Parker to Blame for Losses?

Iron City South
04-20-2008, 08:28 PM
There's also a glaring need for a banger at running back behind Willie Parker. When the Steelers needed the tough yards last season, oftentimes they weren't able to get them, and leads and games were lost because of it. Someone to take some of the carries off Parker and do it off tackle would be a welcome sight at Heinz Field against the toughest schedule in the NFL.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08111/874987-66.stm.

If I read this correctly, it's implying the Steelers need a "banger" .... a "Fat back" that can either move the pile or break tackles at the 1st level ..... Really? .... Wow, this is certainly an interesting development. What poster said this time and again last year and others wanted to immediately call for a public flogging? ..... Oh, I know where I've heard it before.... ICS said it! :yellowthumb:

Bring on Stewart .... :cope:

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Get that **** the **** out of here.

You could have had God in the backfield (I believe he weighs in at 240-250 and is 5'11") and he wouldnt have made a difference with that O-line.

O-line is the issue, not RB.

I hate the terms fatback, banger, and power back. All 3 are overrated.

Congrats you agree with Ed Bouchette.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh man ICS :rolleyes: For God sakes dude you act like Dan Rooney himself made this proclamation and it was signed by the entire 53 man roster and the coaching staff. It's the opinion of a sports journalist and nothing more than that so it's not like it's all of the sudden gospel just because you were able to twist a few sentences around to fit your train of thought..

Nowhere in that article does it say or imply that Parker is to blame for the losses. Blame to offensive line for not blocking if you're going to try and put it on Parker because they go hand in hand. There's nobody on this board that would deny that having a big bruiser to compliment FWP is be a good idea but this team is not a fat back bruiser style of offense anymore. Get an offensive line that can block with a damn and you'll have your tough yards. Go ask San Diego how a smaller back like LT can make those tough yards? Because he has a line that blocks for him and he has great vision. Don't say Turner got all the tough yards either because he didn't.

We fix the offensive and the running game is right back to where everybody wants it to be. If we draft Stewart I'll be very happy, I'd like to see him in the black n gold to simply take some of the pressure off FWP and give us a nice change of pace so we don't wear either one of them out. Certainly though with a line blocking the way ours did last year, if you can call it that, even the great Bettis himself would have found the yards tough to come by.

:greengrin:

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
There's also a glaring need for a banger at running back behind Willie Parker

I think the bold word says it all......ICS there is a reason you don't make football decisions.

DIESELMAN
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
The team lost games as a team, thats it. No way you can point fingers at 1 single player at lay it all on him.....thats just ****ing nuts!!!

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
.thats just ****ing nuts!!!

consider the source

DIESELMAN
04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
consider the source
I was :haha:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
He must have been bored and knew we'd all go ape **** at such a ridiculous statement...he's probably sitting back drinking a beer just waiting for the next person to post up and call him crazy :rolleyes:

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
He must have been bored and knew we'd all go ape shiat at such a ridiculous statement...he's probably sitting back drinking a beer just waiting for the next person to post up and call him crazy :rolleyes:

He probably cant mix alcohol with his meds.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 09:48 PM
He's viewing this thread now....

Hold on ICS, I need some :popcorn:

:lol:

Iron City South
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
He must have been bored and knew we'd all go ape shiat at such a ridiculous statement...he's probably sitting back drinking a beer just waiting for the next person to post up and call him crazy :rolleyes:

:beer3: ,,,, Entertaining to say the least.

There's a reason Parker didn't start in college and went undrafted into the NFL .... and it wasn't because he was "misunderstood." If you don't have a top tier line in the league, you better damn well have an all-around back that can do it all. Parker is far from that "complete" back ....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
That's it??? comon man you can do better than that ! :D

I think Willie can be a complete back for us but it's going to take better play from the OL to get him the similar production in the 4th quarter that he's able to put out in the first half of games. That's the main thing that this team lacked in the running game. It's not that Willie can't do the job, the dude didn't get 1300 yds last year by accident. He was a big reason we were successful on offense. He did most of it on his own though which makes you think if he actually had blocking for him how much better could he be, especially in the 4th quarter when we need to put teams away. FWP can do that, Stewart could do that for us, hell you could Tim Whorely back there and glue the ball to his hands and he'd do ok...

well maybe not Tim but.... :lol:

Stlrs4Life
04-20-2008, 10:19 PM
The team lost games as a team, thats it. No way you can point fingers at 1 single player at lay it all on him.....thats just ****ing nuts!!!

Exactly. ..................

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
:beer3: ,,,, Entertaining to say the least.

There's a reason Parker didn't start in college and went undrafted into the NFL .... and it wasn't because he was "misunderstood." If you don't have a top tier line in the league, you better damn well have an all-around back that can do it all. Parker is far from that "complete" back ....

wow....really.....wow

K Train
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM

ummm...i dont know how to say this.

i agree?

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
ummm...i dont know how to say this.

i agree?

bite your ****ing tongue....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
The issue with Willie is the expectations that go along with being a Steelers RB.

Everyone rode the Bus' dick for years, and he never really had much of a YPC. Since everyone is talking so much **** about a big back, I'll use Bettis as the example (I love him to death, so it kills me to use him as a negative example).

Bettis had the charisma and he got everyone pumped up, and sure, he ran over somebody every now and then. He only had a YPC of over 4 yards three times in his career as a Steeler. Parker has had 3 years as a starter, and 3 years with a YPC over 4.

For those of you who say he breaks a ton of big runs, I say sure he does, but its not that big of an affect. The last 2 years he had 12 20+ yard runs in both seasons, last year his longest was 32 yards. His 4.1 per carry was somewhere in the top 10 last year, which I'm willing to accept for the amount of money he makes. The dude is a bargain plain and simple.

Koopa
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
so ics and ed bitchette think the same, know wonder i don't like either of them......... we don't need a fat back, we just need a back that has talent not just fast.......

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Blaming just Willie Parker for the teams losses is crazy.....I remember at times the defense just falling apart at times in games...Plus our supposed to be top 3 safety Troy P played like a complete bum all year......lol I think the OL with getting our QB sacked 45+ times again is to blame as well.....I don't think Parker had anything to do with the poor special teams kick coverage at times...lol

Willie Parker is far from perfect and has his own faults.....But he has down far more good then bad for this team the past couple years....There were many reasons for the teams losses last year and just calling out Willie Parker is flat out wrong....

K Train
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
lol i love when koop says bitchette

FAB802
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
So a total of three stooges think Willie's the problem?

TEEMONT
04-21-2008, 12:44 AM

well...ICS is more than a stooge.....but yeah.

K Train
04-21-2008, 01:19 AM

i just agreed with the one statement made, i think it was quite obvious cedric wilson was the problem

ejsteeler
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I think it's quite obvious there were several problems. There is no way anyone person can get the finger on this except for the coach. It is his job to take the blame. Otherwise, it falls on numerous people.
:2cents:

Iron City South
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
You homers can polish Willie's knob all you want, it won't change the fact that he isn't an everydown back. Now, before you accuse me of being a Willie "hater" ... let me just preface my comments by saying, "I actually like Parker" .... I think he's a very servicable back in this league, but there's no denying he doesn't have the best hands, his blocking is below average as well as his field vision, he doesn' t make the best of reads, and he can't break tackles at the 1st level. All that combined screams "average to slightly above average." I like Willie the same way I like Kiesel, in a very specialized role; a situational player. Just becasue I don't like them as an every down starter doesn't mean I don't want them on the roster.

They are who they are . . .

ejsteeler
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry man, I can't take anything you say seriously with that avitar and signature......you obviously have issues.:nahnah:

Iron City South
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry man, I can't take anything you say seriously with that avitar and signature......you obviously have issues.:nahnah:

lmao .... . like anybody asked you Snellville Waterboy. There's something strangely funny about a guy who can't get over another persons avatar after looking at your's! :eyecrazy:

Either engage in the discussion or stay the fu<k out of the thread. :yesnod:

ejsteeler
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
lmao .... . like anybody asked you Snellville Waterboy. There's something strangely funny about a guy who can't get over another persons avatar after looking at your's! :eyecrazy:

Thank you for proving my point.:lol:

steelcityrockers
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
You homers can polish Willie's knob all you want, it won't change the fact that he isn't an everydown back. Now, before you accuse me of being a Willie "hater" ... let me just preface my comments by saying, "I actually like Parker" .... I think he's a very servicable back in this league, but there's no denying he doesn't have the best hands, his blocking is below average as well as his field vision, he doesn' t make the best of reads, and he can't break tackles at the 1st level. All that combined screams "average to slightly above average." I like Willie the same way I like Kiesel, in a very specialized role; a situational player. Just becasue I don't like them as an every down starter doesn't mean I don't want them on the roster.

They are who they are . . .

True.

Willie does have insane speed (speed is a bit overrated, but he has it none the less) and he runs very hard for his size. I think he could be very effective in the Dallas type of Split-Back system.

TEEMONT
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Tactful indeed.

Iron City South
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I think he could be very effective in the Dallas type of Split-Back system.

BINGO . . . we have a winner! :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Remember here too, Willie was a UFA that came to us with really very little RB experience at any type of highly competitive level so he's had to learn everything mostly from scratch. He's come a long way and obviously still has some work to do but I think he can do it for us if the stays committed.

Iron City South
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Remember here too, Willie was a UFA that came to us with really very little RB experience at any type of highly competitive level so he's had to learn everything mostly from scratch. He's come a long way and obviously still has some work to do but I think he can do it for us if the stays committed.

I think you're wrong. There are some skills that aren't learned and crafted through repetition. You either have good field vision or you don't, you either make good decisions or you don't. Like I said, will will be a good servicable back, but he's not going to be in the circle of the leagues elite. I think he'd be better complimenting someone who has "all around" skills.

TEEMONT
04-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I think you're wrong. There are some skills that aren't learned and crafted through repetition. You either have good field vision or you don't, you either make good decisions or you don't. Like I said, will will be a good servicable back, but he's not going to be in the circle of the leagues elite. I think he'd be better complimenting someone who has "all around" skills.

EHHHHHHHH WRONG

Field vision is not just some gift. You "learn" it through being in game situations. Obviously you have never played a down of ball.

Willie is already in the league's elite, hate to burst your bubble. He would be better at only 20 carries per game IMO, but it isn't going to happen this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
The only thing you can't really teach is speed, either you have that or you don't. Any other skill can be learned if the player has the right teachers and commits himself to the task. You can learn to have better vision, learn to hold onto the ball, catch the ball out of the backfield, learn to pick the right gap, learn to block, etc. Obviously some have a knack for it more than others but to say you either have it or you don't is way off man.

I agree giving him say 20 carries per game and complimenting him more with another solid back would him a world of good as well as the offense by keeping them both fresh and keeping the defenses honest.

Iron City South
04-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I did happen to play ball in my youth Teemont, and if you did then you would already know that "Field vision" relies on a person's instinctivness; this is why National Scouting and Blesto both place such a heavily weighted emphesis on it when scouting kids out of college and even out of HS.

I have a good friend who works for BLESTO and he basically said they look at the “Measurables” first — height, weight, speed, strength and production — Then they combine the measurables with intangibles such as character, intensity, and instinctivness. Players also are tested on their ability to learn, retain, and comprehend.

TEEMONT
04-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I did happen to play ball in my youth Teemont, and if you did then you would already know that "Field vision" relies on a person's instinctivness; this is why National Scouting and Blesto both place such a heavily weighted emphesis on it when scouting kids out of college and even out of HS.

I have a good friend who works for BLESTO and he basically said they look at the “Measurables” first — height, weight, speed, strength and production — Then they combine the measurables with intangibles such as character, intensity, and instinctivness. Players also are tested on their ability to learn, retain, and comprehend.

wow really? Is that how it happens? People are just born with field vision?

No, field vision, like most football skills, is something built from putting yourself on the field over and over again. Willie is getting there, and hasn't hit a plateau yet, and wont for a few more years.

If Willie put on 10-20 more pounds he would be top 3 in the NFL, easy.

Iron City South
04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
If Willie put on 10-20 more pounds he would be top 3 in the NFL, easy.

Time will prove you a fool and I will be there to remind you. :yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Time will prove you a fool and I will be there to remind you. :yellowthumb:

Willie has already proved you a fool......

and here's me...reminding you.

DIESELMAN
04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Field vision is an acquired trait through repetition of being on the field. Athletes especially RB's can do eye training and exercises to improve their whole game. The eyes is where it all begins, seeing the field, translating that info into reactions. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the retirement of Dick Hoak hurt FWP, a lot, last year showed that.

Iron City South
04-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Field vision is an acquired trait through repetition of being on the field. The eyes is where it all begins, seeing the field, translating that info into reactions.

Agreed. My point was that once you get to the professional level, you either have it .... or you don't. Scouts see a players "instinctivness" at a very young age. You don't make it to the NFL with poor or even average field vision and hope that your NFL reps will one day allow you to take your game to a whole 'notha level. It just doesn't happen that way.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the retirement of Dick Hoak hurt FWP, a lot, last year showed that.

Agreed.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Willie has come a long way since he was first signed; back then all he did was run to daylight and try to outrun the field. He's learned to be more patient, handle the ball better, follow his blockers, run with some power and authority, and generally see the field better.

That's his biggest hurdle right now is continuing to learn to see the field although it didn't help much last year when all he saw was defenders in his face 2 yds after getting the handoff or watching a hole close immediately because the lineman couldn't hold their block. Willie will continue to learn and improve on his craft but the upgraded blocking will help tremendously as well.

Koopa
04-22-2008, 01:15 AM
while i'm one of the willie haters, i do not think he was the reason for our losses, we lost to the pats and he tore them up, we had a lot of defensive let downs, mainly the guy that was getting paid the most in steeler history, he didn't do **** this year, he helped more when he was hurt and not leaving our secondary out to dry with him always being out of place................ then theirs mahan who made the other guys on the line have to try to guard more guys then they would have to if we had even a decent center............ then there was bruce arians play calling, while ben had the best season a qb in steeler gear has ever had we seemed to come up empty in the red zone way to much, 3 points just don't cut it in this league.......... so blaming willie is ****ing retarded

i'm giving willie one more year to improve his game before i totally give up on him, if he's still the same running back as last year then he isn't elite, he's just another fast guy that can get yards in spurts but not consistently

TampaSteelGirl
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
First of all how can you possibly blame Willie for losses when the O line stunk up the place last year!! Bens sacks speak for itself! Without our O line making holes for him to get thru, of course he's not going to get the yardage he needs!! We all know he's a small running back so more reason for our Oline to step it up and make him a hole! They play as a team, lose and win as a team as Dieselman said! No one player can be blamed for losses. I think it would be a good idea to have a "big" back such as Jerome to compliment Willie, but once Willie gets thru a nice hole he's gone and then he's everyones hero!! Give the guy a break!! With a decent O line the guy will excel!! :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
First of all how can you possibly blame Willie for losses when the O line stunk up the place last year!! Bens sacks speak for itself! Without our O line making holes for him to get thru, of course he's not going to get the yardage he needs!! We all know he's a small running back so more reason for our Oline to step it up and make him a hole! They play as a team, lose and win as a team as Dieselman said! No one player can be blamed for losses. I think it would be a good idea to have a "big" back such as Jerome to compliment Willie, but once Willie gets thru a nice hole he's gone and then he's everyones hero!! Give the guy a break!! With a decent O line the guy will excel!! :yellowthumb:

Very well put. Willie will get better still, though as DIESELMAN said, slower wiithout DH.