PDA

View Full Version : I hate us....but heres what i see

K Train
04-20-2008, 08:05 PM
There is not a team in the world that i hate more than the pittsburgh steelers come the month of april. They drive me up the ****ing wall, and listening to experts and fans talk about them drives me even more insane. its not that im always right and know whats best for the team its....well actually its exactly that.

Heres my breakdown of the team.

Quarterback:

Ben Roethlisberger is a superstar, he shut everyone up last year....even ****ing teemont. Theres not a QB i would rather have leading this team, he might make stupid mistakes and force **** but i wouldnt have it any other way. Im sure he could have a brick wall blocking for him and he would still roll out to either side to buy more time. Ive never seen a man that big that elusive. Hes a winner plain and simple and the only QB that coulve thrown for 32 TDs behind that line last year. Charlie Batch is a solid backup but hes cant stay alive forever, Zabranski is an interesting little dude, he was part of the best game ever played so thats gotta count for something. Nothing gets addressed at QB this year.

Runningback:

****. I love willie, but i hate him so much at the same time. He is a good player but not what hes made out to be. His speed is astounding, we all know that but his vision and elusivness...or lack therof just pisses me off so much. Hes really come a long way and really has the bus to thank for his entire career but i think willie has peaked now and what we see is what we get...hes not gonna get any better. Willie with 10-12 touches a game=awesome, willie with 30 touches a game=failure. After willie it gets complicated. Davenport is decent, hes nimble for a fat man, hes got good vision and his hands are great. He runs a nasty screen too. Then we got MeMo who is awesome out of the backfield and a solid, though not spectacular returner and basically a worthless inside runner. I still like Gary Russel alot, hes a bruiser and i would like to see more of him, but i really dont know what to think. Davis is our fullback and hes solid, blocking gets better with time and he got better late in the year. Hes an awesome weapon and inside runner in his own right though.

Posibilities in the draft: We not looking at much, if stewart is there we should take him because he is THAT guy, he would take willies job the instant he took the field and he would make all of you shut the **** up who cry for that powerback. He does it all, hes my #1 NFL ready back this year....(i think mcfadden ended up being 9th on that list btw.). Before we got moore i thought chris johnson would be a sweet second round pick. a 4.23 40 is incredible, hes a sick returner and an OUTSTANDING blocker.

Fullback:

Carey Davis is fine, i dont want to hear the name owen schmitt again

Wide Reciever:

Holmes is a badass, straight up. Ward is old and dying, making entirely to much money and can be a big part of the thanks to why we dont have any cap room. He needs to take a paycut soon. That being said, while hes not worth the money hes getting, he might be the best slot reicever thats ever lived and is still money for us. Nate is really coming along and he is best when hes on the outside, hes a great leaper and his concentration has really improved, not to mention hes blazing fast. After that we got ****...reid is trash and ced is gone :greenbounce2:. I dont have much faith is Baker but who knows.

possible solutions: Sweed or thomas in the first is a possibility, i think thomas will be long gone though. Sweed would be pretty sick on this team and he can even block on mass protect situation. In the second round i would love doucet or hawkins...who is better than desean jackson. In the third we can go with jerome simpson who might need a little work but has got all the tools to be awesome. Malcolm Kelly might be a 2nd or 3rd round option despite his horrific workouts and i want no part in manningham.

Oline:

This is just a big giant cluster****. Smith has a bad back but SHOULD be good to go. Starks signed his thing and should be good to go. They could potentially switch spots being that starks played much better on the left and smiths natural spot is on the right. Im not to confident in either one of them though. I think both essex and colon would be better guards and kemoeatu and simmons are both average....but we dont need all stars at every spot and the fact that mahan will be on the bench is huge because he was a huge part of the problem last year. Hartwig needs to hold his own, he doesnt have to be a superhero and everything looks alot better...who knows maybe we can even move the TEs into pass patterns...gasp. The line isnt in that bad of shape....i guess we'll see.

Solutions: Cherilus in the first...maybe, after that its not really special. Baker or Rachel in the second. Maybe throw Nicks or cousins into the mix. I wish albert wasnt showing off how ****ing awesome he is lol.

TE:

:yellowthumb:

Dline:

This is the biggest issue on the team imo, Casey is to fat, Keisel is to weak, and yet smith excels at his position....simple solution....get another one of him. Easier said then done.

Now lets say casey gets a little leaner and we get smith back to 100%. DEs for a 34 are the hardest guys to find, but i think Kentwan Balmer would fit nicely. Hes a big man at 6-6 310 pounds and he could slide Keisel to ST and backup/nickle where he belongs. Eventually i think he could even take over for casey at NT but balmer would be awesome on our line. A few guys that are more projects include Dre Moore a second round guy or Kendall langford a 3rd round guy....but they are hit or miss imo.

Linebacker:

Our LBers are awesome. Harrison was great, farrior was better than ever last year. Haggans is GONE, and woodley will lead the team in sacks this year. Foote is likely to be pushed by timmons for playing time, even if timmons doesnt start he will play alot.

What could make them better?:

If we drafted groves and had him and woodley on the outside, move harrison inside where he belongs and rotate foote and timmons at MLB....farrior can play all 4 spots, and timmons likely can too. I think LB is something that needs to be addressed in this draft and they might not be able to pass on groves. Crable and Avril are alsoo later round options that will be looked into

Defensive Backs:

I Hate polamalu, smith will bounce back and be the badass we all saw his first year and a half. Ike is our guy, deshea and Mcfadden will continue to wrestle and gay will get some playing time. We are ok here...maybe a corner in the 3rd or 4th round....Justin King or Trae Willaims being my picks.

All in all, i hate us and the 26th cant come fast enough....i hope im not all pissed off at the end of the day lol

steelcityrockers
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Gary Russel might have a future too.

Carey Davis...I am a fan, but he is very replaceable. His blocking is quite sub-par.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Don't know why people talking about the Steelers would drive you insane?lol Kind of strange if you ask me...lol I like reading other peoples opinions even when I disagree...Yes I might act like a horses *** sometimes when I debate but I love to argue...lol If you hate it so much then why post or even come to the site?lol

Really didn't disagree with your thoughts on the team and the players you mentioned as possible draft picks.....I do have my worries on Balmer playing a 3-4 though....But if Balmer is drafted its not like I will break my computer......He is a very talented player and he could very well be a badass DE in a 3-4....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Russel might have a future too.

Carey Davis...I am a fan, but he is very replaceable. His blocking is quite sub-par.

I'm not willing to give up on Russell yet also...I agree Carey Davis wasn't all that last year...Don't think he was horrible but is very replaceable....

K Train
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
i meant russel the first time i mentioned davis lol...fixed it

its not that they **** me off, just around now hearing about tall WRs and fatbacks gets to me lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
i meant russel the first time i mentioned davis lol...fixed it

its not that they **** me off, just around now hearing about tall WRs and fatbacks gets to me lol

Well some fans are going to love power football and are always going to wish for the next Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis...I'm fine with Parker as the starter but at the same time I wouldn't mind Stewart at all in the first round....He is a very good player that will help the team win...which is the bottom line...

As for the tall WR...I'm a fan of a tall WR that can dictate coverage and I never will change...But however I don't want to draft a WR just because he is tall...All tall WRs can't play....I would be just fine with Dexter Jackson also....even though he is short...He is badass and would fill the need a kick returner also...Moore is solid but both Chris Johnson or Jackson would be an upgrade...

DIESELMAN
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Theres nothin wrong with getting a big back.....if it works. Only a big back could run behind the OL we had last year and Dookie proved that. Now if FWP's vision would've been better, we would've seen a lot more long runs from him. I would love to see us draft Stewart but don't see it happening (anything is possible in the draft). We've shored up the middle of the O line with us signing Hartwig (on paper anyways lol). Smith coming back healthy is one of the keys to our OL success, Colon is a better G then a OT, Essex didn't play to bad as OT in the last few games last year (forgetting about the 3rd and whatever against Jax). I think our DL is in worse shape then the OL, age wise, depth wise and talent wise.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
I really don't see Marvel moving back to the right side, the dude is in the last year of his deal and we have 2 RT prospects right now in Starks and Colon. Marvel will finish out this last year of his deal and fade off into the black n gold sunset while he pursues the next NY Jets offer that Faneca landed. Starks and Colon will battle it out on the RT and the loser will be the prime backup. Essex will be the backup RT if he makes the roster and the team should take this opportunity in the 1st or 2nd round to get that big LT we need for the future so he's ready for 2009 when Smith leaves. Guard is where the real cluster**** is because you've got Simmons who underachieves, Kemoeatu who can't pull or run, Mahan who's just a disaster if he has to start, so realistically Guard is a major concern right now to where if we took say a T and G in the first 2 rounds I'd be happy as anything. The only real certainty on the OL this year is that Hartwig will be worlds better than Mahan was.

Having said that the need for a skill player at WR, RB to help Willie, and of course DL are all needs.

We have too many needs to fill in this draft alone so therefore you concentrate on the biggest ones and then fill in the others as best you can.

OLB depth is a concern...behind Wood and Silverback we've got a whole lotta nothing so once again this is a need but probably won't be real high on the priority list this draft because of other needs and because we spent 2 high draft picks last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Only problem with drafting a LT after Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams and even Brandon Albert there isn't really anybody worth drafting in the first round...Cherilus can't play LT in the NFL.....He is strictly a RT.....There is Sam Baker and Anthony Collins....But some how I don't think those two are the next Marcus McNeil and Tony Ugoh....It would have been nice trading down last year and drafting Tony Ugoh...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
So what about taking Cherlius as the next RT for this team and then moving Starks to LT next year? If he can improve his footwork and get those clod hoppers he calls feet to move he could be a solid LT for us as we've talked about before...I just don't see Marvel moving to RT for just one year left on his deal.

You're right though the Tackle prospects drop off considerably after the 1st round so it's really a make or break type deal. If they don't go T in this draft early on and they take Albert for example then next year Starks could still move to the LT spot and Colon would battle it out with a draft prospect in the later rounds this year or in the 2009 draft :dunno:

God I hate this, just draft somebody already :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
So what about taking Cherlius as the next RT for this team and then moving Starks to LT next year? If he can improve his footwork and get those clod hoppers he calls feet to move he could be a solid LT for us as we've talked about before...I just don't see Marvel moving to RT for just one year left on his deal.

You're right though the Tackle prospects drop off considerably after the 1st round so it's really a make or break type deal. If they don't go T in this draft early on and they take Albert for example then next year Starks could still move to the LT spot and Colon would battle it out with a draft prospect in the later rounds this year or in the 2009 draft :dunno:

God I hate this, just draft somebody already :lol:

You can't be serious about Max Starks being the future LT?:lol: Starks was a very inconsistent RT...lol I know he looked ok filling in for Marvel Smith last year in that limited time...But I think those sloppy conditions at Heinz helped Starks a ton....I think Starks is average at best....Really hate the fact he signed that huge tender....Really I hope he isn't back next year....

In fact after Long, Clady, Williams and Albert I wouldn't mind this team completely ignoring the OL all together....lol I don't see a Marcus McNeil or a Tony Ugoh in the second round of this draft.....The later rounds it becomes tougher to find quality OL as we have proven the last few years since all of our late round OL picks have failed lately...lol Willie Colon and Max Starks have been the best OL picks the last years and really they have been average at best so far....lol

Gosder Cherilus would be ok only if we can trade down and draft him...I want no part of him in the first round....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know that Starks is the future for us at either T position but the team must think he's got something to offer or they would have just let him walk. I think getting benched last year did him a lot of good and made him realize how hard he has to work and how much is at stake every week in the NFL. I look for Starks to have a good year for us probably at RT this year because at this point I think he'll beat out Colon unless Willie really steps up this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Colon try to get in the mix at Guard with Kendall, Chris K. and a draft pick because he's versatile and the Steelers love lineman that can play more than 1 position. There's been no firm word on that happening though so I wouldn't count on it at this point.

K Train
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
colon shifting inside is a strong possibility, tomlin really likes him and wants him on the field

BlackGold4vr
04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
From another thread, if we can't grab Williams, Clady, or Albert I see us taking a RB or DE in the first. Maybe a Rachal or Cousins in round two. I agree with whoever said the D-line is a bigger concern. I was dissappointed that they resigned Kirschke and Eason because IMO they are holding spots for the 2 D-lineman we need to draft this year. People forget that for every rookie that makes the team a veteran needs to pack his ****. Balmer, Merling, Campbell, Langford......we need two young BAD-ASSES! :yellowthumb:

K Train
04-20-2008, 10:40 PM
campbell? no thanks

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is a superstar, he shut everyone up last year....even ****ing teemont.
I still think he's a douche.

Anyways, I see no issues with anything you wrote. With the exception of the LB situation. If we could move Harrison inside, and we draft Groves, either Foote or Farrior should be gone. I love them both, but with this lineup:

OLB: Woodley
OLB:Groves (or Harrison if they dont draft or feel comfortable with Groves starting right away)
ILB: Harrison
ILB: Timmons/Foote/Farrior

It's a case of having too much of a good thing. Plus we still have Keisel who IMO is more of a OLB than and could step in if needed. Foote has a huge on-field ego, and I don't know how well he would react to being a back-up for Timmons.

Farrior is the QB of the D, and has two years left IMO, so I can't see him riding the pine. On the other hand, a non-injured Timmons has too much talent not be playing. It's an eff'd up situation no matter what happens, but I guess it's a good problem to have. If we draft Groves (which I wouldn't be upset about) it will be a very interesting couple of months until camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
They were talking about that very thing on FSN the other night; why in the world they resigned Kirschke and Eason; 1 guy who's got a chronic bad back and the other did nothing last year and is currently on crutches. Neither one of them though is a sure fire bet to be on the roster after camp though, if they could get somebody decent to play DE in the draft I would hope they wouldn't have a problem letting Kirschke go and / or Eason for that matter. McBean was a flop but he's still young that maybe they think there's hope for him yet too. DE is such a weak link for us behind the starters right now that it would be hard to pass up a guy like Langford or Dre Moore if the those players are available in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

K Train
04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
i wouldnt call mcbean a flop yet, it is a tough position to learn.

and that would be a beast of a group of linebackers...and i think they would all stay for at least a year if that happened cause groves and timmons probably wont start, but they (or timmons at the very least) are gonna get an awful lot of playing time because we have enough packages and you cant have to many LBs in a 34

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2008, 11:02 PM
This is a big time draft for Tomlin, the next few drafts will shape this team into either a continued contender that is able to take the next step towards multiple championships or it's going to put this team down the ladder a few more steps. We've waited too long and gotten too old at key positions that now it's time to start building back up. The Cowher players that have been here will start to fade away in the next 5 years so now is the time to set this thing in motion because the rest of the AFCN is always chomping at that bit to get a crack at us.

McBean wasn't very impressive last year but I do hope he's taking advantage of every chance this offseson to get himself ready because we could really use him this coming year. I don't think Tomlin is going to take a LB on day 1 this year after spending 2 picks on them last year. Farrior is playing at a high level still and even though his deal is up soon he could resign for a 2 yr extension to continue to help out but if not then Timmons and Foote will be there in 2009 ready to take over the main guys in the middle. There's no way that Silverback moves to the inside unless we get hammered with injuries at that position IMO. He can play inside which is a plus though for sure. That group of LB's you mentioned would be beastly though I'll give you that.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree with Ktrain on McBean...You can't call the guy a flop yet...It took Aaron Smith a year to learn our defense....Plus it took years for guys like Chris Hoke and Brett Keisel to become contributors....This is a make or break year for McBean...

BlackGold4vr
04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Kenny Phillips is ranked mid twenties and is supposed to be the top safety in this years draft. I have never seen him play. With Ryan Clarke a question mark and Anthony Smiths implosion last year they could surprise us all and take the top safety. I do think that safety is a need for us. We are deep at CB but at safety we are thin. Is Phillips the prototypical thug football player that Miami tends to produce?

K Train
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
phillips is no thug but hes no ed reed or sean taylor either. no thanks, anthony smith will be fine

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Kenny Phillips is ranked mid twenties and is supposed to be the top safety in this years draft. I have never seen him play. With Ryan Clarke a question mark and Anthony Smiths implosion last year they could surprise us all and take the top safety. I do think that safety is a need for us. We are deep at CB but at safety we are thin. Is Phillips the prototypical thug football player that Miami tends to produce?

I rather have DeJuan Morgan or Tyrell Johnson then Phillips....I also wouldn't draft a safety in the first...

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
ok Carey Davis is NOT the answer at fullback. I like the guy he runs like a bull but he's not the blocking fullback that this team needs. He's not a Pittsburgh Steelers fullback that paves a path for the guy behind him. a guy like that is..... you guessed it OWEN SHMITT so i pray we draft him and next year u'll see what an impact he has on our team.

steelcityrockers
04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Only a big back could run behind the OL we had last year and Dookie proved that. .

Huh? He had one good game (the Rams) who were very pourous on D anyway.

K Train
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
ok Carey Davis is NOT the answer at fullback. I like the guy he runs like a bull but he's not the blocking fullback that this team needs. He's not a Pittsburgh Steelers fullback that paves a path for the guy behind him. a guy like that is..... you guessed it OWEN SHMITT so i pray we draft him and next year u'll see what an impact he has on our team.
please refrain from talking

steelcityrockers
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Way to spell his name right. Believe it or not "Steeler" football left with Whiz and Cowher. I for one don't have a problem with it and I struggle to see why others do. It is called progress. I don't want Owen Schmitt (yes, that is how it is spelled.) I am not saying he is a bad player, but on a roster so depleted of depth, he is not necessary. If we were to draft a Full Back (And I hope we don't) I would prefer Jacob Hester of LSU. A tweener who isn't big enough for a full back nor fast enough for Running Back, but he has that mentality of Boxer from Animal Farm (a classic peice of literature) "I will work harder."

Anyway, where do you rank Full Back in terms of a need? Carey Davis is, like I said, very replaceable but there are many other positions on the roster that take precedent over Full Back: LB, DL, OL, DB, RB, WR, etc. (not in that order) Full Back is probably the least of our worries. In Carey Davis, we have someone cheap, athletic (for a Full Back) and he has solid hands. His blocking is below-average and needs a lot of work, but he is ok for the offense they are running now.

Steelers7fan
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't be shocked if the Steelers trade down and get an extra second round pick.
I think if our first pick in the draft was in the second round JAmes Hardy Wr would be the pick...than we would start a DL,DE, or OL with the next pick.

steelcityrockers
04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Not a Hardy fan. Not like I would throw a chair if we took him but I would prefer someone else.

DIESELMAN
04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Huh? He had one good game (the Rams) who were very pourous on D anyway.
Yeah he had 1 game of over 100 yards but over all he had almost a 5.0 yard average. There were a lot of situations where he could of been used more but thanks to BS play calling, that never happened.

kgreen
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Players I want:
1. Gosder Cherilus or Chris Williams
2. Quentin Groves or Kendall Langford
3. Jordy Nelson
4. Orlando Scandrick or Justin King
5. Mario Uurutia

I don't know these are just the names I like. I haven't been reading into to draft as much as I usually do, as a result I just don't know a whole lot.