View Full Version : Cherilus Means Business

Black@Gold Forever32
04-14-2008, 02:02 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_562192.html

Cherilus means business

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 14, 2008

Boston College tackle Gosder Cherilus is really a linebacker at heart. An offensive lineman with the mentality of a defensive player, Cherilus (SHARE-uh-luss) has a budding reputation for being as tough as he is big (6-foot-7, 320 pounds).

Welcome to the NFL, Mr. Mean.

"That player on the other side of the line, he might be a nice guy, but he's not my friend," said Cherilus, regarded among the top offensive linemen in next week's draft, a likely first-rounder and a possible target for the Steelers, who have the No. 23 overall pick.

"Football's what I do, not who I am. I'm not a dirty player, I play hard. There's a difference. I played four years in college and never had a personal foul. It's nothing personal. Just football."

Somewhere, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is rubbing his hands together in anticipation. And smiling.

Speaking with reporters at the recent owners meetings in Florida, Tomlin confessed to having a fondness for offensive linemen who play with a chip on their shoulder.

"Well, you know, you like guys who have the potential to fly off the handle within the rules of the game," Tomlin said.

Like Gosder?

"Every time a coach puts you in position to go at a guy running the ball, you appreciate it a lot more because you're just not sitting there receiving," said Cherilus, who visited the Steelers on March 27 at their South Side facility. "You're getting to go at them, show them what you've got, beat them up a little bit, put your hands on them, put them on the ground, do what you have to do. If you're an offensive lineman and you don't like to run the ball, there's something wrong with you."

Cherilus' words are music to former Pitt star Jim Sweeney, a classy offensive lineman for 16 NFL seasons, the last four with the Steelers. As Cherilus' eyes and ears leading up to the draft, Sweeney said his pupil's on-field ferocity shouldn't be underestimated.

"As soon as he crosses the white line he becomes a different personality. In college, he wasn't satisfied if he didn't dominate," said Sweeney, who retired as a player following the 1999 season and is an assistant coach at South Fayette. "As an offensive lineman, you always have to stay in control, but you can also have a little tenacity to you. He gets after people."

The protector of quarterback Matt Ryan's blind side in 2007, Cherilus faced the creme de la creme among defensive ends playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference: Clemson's Phillip Merling, Miami's Calais Campbell, Virginia Tech's Chris Ellis and Georgia Tech's Darrell Robertson.

Early in his career, Cherilus battled North Carolina State's Mario Williams, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"The top defensive ends that got drafted the last three years, I faced them all. I never had a week off," said Cherilus, who started at right tackle his first three seasons before switching to left tackle his senior year. "As a sophomore, I was thrown out there against Mario Williams. He's one of the most freakishly athletic guys I've ever seen in my life, but I'm a fighter. At the end of the day, he didn't get to my quarterback once.

"There are a lot of great offensive linemen in this draft, but nobody's faced the type of players I've faced. I played 51 straight games in college, never missed a start. I played against some very good players and was very successful against them. The league really prepared me for the next level."

BC has the track record of producing quality NFL OL....I'm not totally against the drafting of Gosder....I just prefer other OL and players....If the Steelers could trade down and still draft Cherilus that would be sweet...Takes two to tango though...

BlackGold4vr
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I like Gosder Cherilus and I wouldn't mind at all if we selected him. He wouldn't have been my first choice at OT but you take what you can get. I have seen several mocks now with us taking Jonathan Stewart. I wouldn't mind that pick either as long as we still address the O-line with pick 2.

Who else remembers Willie Parkers first year with the Steelers? Jerome Bettis had to take Willie under his wing and coach him on slowing down a bit and allowing the play to develope. Willie was hitting the line before the O-lineman had even had a chance to engage their blocking assignments. Jerome taught Willie patience and to wait for the blocks to happen before choosing a running lane. If the Steelers choose to ignore the O-line again and pretend that a temporary patch like Justin Hartwig will cure all their ills we may suffer through another season watching Ben run for his life and the RB's getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage. :nono:

Even if the rookie O-lineman we drafted didn't win a starting job this year they would still likely get some valuable reps this year and learn the offense which could prepare them for competing for a starting job next year. We have got to get at least one fresh horse for both the O-line and the D-line and preferably with early picks and not late ones! :yesnod:

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I want nothing to do with Cherilus. He could never play LT in the NFL and that is what is needed, not a RT.

Koopa
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I want nothing to do with Cherilus. He could never play LT in the NFL and that is wat is needed, not a RT.

we need everything, we ain't nowhere near set at RT, so if we can get any badass OL it would improve our line a lot

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 04:26 PM
If we draft a tackle that can pass block, we could move Marvel to RT where he belongs.

Koopa
04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
ppl here keep saying he would be moved to RT, but have the coaches shown any signs that they would move him there??

BlackGold4vr
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
we need everything, we ain't nowhere near set at RT, so if we can get any badass OL it would improve our line a lot

Think of where we would be this year if we had taken Ben Grubbs or Justin Blalock in last years draft? Both players were starters for their teams last year and figure to be future stars. We still could have taken Woodley in the second round, but we would have had an answer now for Faneca's departure! :yesnod:

I will say it. We could have made a smarter pick than Timmons who might still not crack the starting line-up this year.

Koopa
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Think of where we would be this year if we had taken Ben Grubbs or Justin Blalock in last years draft? Both players were starters for their teams last year and figure to be future stars. We still could have taken Woodley in the second round, but we would have had an answer now for Faneca's departure! :yesnod:

I will say it. We could have made a smarter pick than Timmons who might still not crack the starting line-up this year.

it's easy to say that now about those two players, but they didn't have the info they have now at last years draft since these guys had never played in the nfl, and last year linebacker was more of an issue.........

Black@Gold Forever32
04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
ppl here keep saying he would be moved to RT, but have the coaches shown any signs that they would move him there??

Marvel Smith started his NFL career at RT...He only moved to LT after Wayne Gandy left......He has done a solid job but he is far from an elite LT....I would like to see the Steelers get an athletic pass protecting LT.....Then move Smith bact to RT which he is better suited for....Cherilus won't play LT but I also wouldn't throw if he is drafted....I want Chris Williams or Brandon Albert.....I think both them will be gone at 23....

K Train
04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
cherilus a badass, he will start at RT but after some reps he can definitely slid over to the left, he just needs some time develop to lateral movement needed for LT

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
He will not effectively play there in the pros. He just isn't athletic enough.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I just dont see where your dislike for cherilus comes from. As far as him not being atheletic, he ran pretty good 40 yard at the combine (i know 40 means little in terms of football skill, but if anything its a measure of atheletic ability) and at 6'6 310-320lbs he has good quick feet. I think Cherilus or Groves are gonna be the guys we should look to trade back and get if/when Albert and Williams are gone.

steelcityrockers
04-17-2008, 04:48 PM
He played pretty bad at LT in college, which does not give me much confidence that he can do it in the NFL. He is also really overrated.

Steelers7fan
04-19-2008, 02:14 PM
This guy is a true Steeler player. everything about the way he plays and his attitude spells Steelers all the way.
Having said that if we could get a D-end like the guy from N.Carolina or some stud CB we could than draft an OL like Mcglynn later on.
This draft is going to be really interesting. I have a feeling some Steeler fans may be dissapointed, because I think their going somewhere other than OL in the first round.