PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to beat SD

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
HUGE absolutely HUGE game for us next week. We've got alot of time to prepare for it. Sunday night in SD. We went in there last year and layed the smack down on Brees, Gates, and LT. This year it's gonna be wild too, the chargers have the best D in the league right now, but Rivers is young and we can pressure/confuse him and cause mistakes if we play our game.

- Slow down LT. - You can stop LT, nobody can, but you slow him down and keep him in check. Hit him HARD everytime he gets the ball.

- Use every zone blitz scheme we have to confuse Rivers into mistakes.

- Troy needs to shadow Antonio Gates every play and punish him everytime he get the ball thrown his way.

- Ben to play mistake free football. No turnovers, no miscues on 3rd down. Just play his game use the weapons he has around him.

- OL needs to keep the pressure of Ben no matter what to keep him comfortable in the pocket and allow him to roll out when he wants too, not when he has too.

- Coaches need to call plays that will keep Ben in the zone, alot of high percentage passes, and let Willie get alot of work in. Take our shots down field when they present themselves but overall use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Our personnel is good enough to play with anyone against any defense.

Let's get a hat on a hat and go to WAR !! :tt02:

SteelerDan43
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Simple, no turnovers!

House of Steel
10-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Absolutely NO TO, is right on.

Perfection on the Play Calling.

Slow down LT.

You must remember this, gentleman, Cowher owns Schottenheimer.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Well is this game a must win so early in the season? I think it is. But the keys to the game for the Steelers is simple.

1. Win the turn over battle
2. Hold LT to under 70 yards rushing
3. Play better on special teams

House of Steel
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice Summary, bud.

PITT23
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
I think the first thing we need to do is make Rivers do something stupid. Make him throw and INT, misread something, anything to rattle him. That will force them to run and then we gear towards stopping LT.

Much easier said than done.

K Train
10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Ben needs a good first drive, come out throwing and get that first TD, he is a confident, poised player...he just needs that first one. LT has nothing on us and Polamalu owns gates.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Special Teams play is very key. Good point ! A good return or a big tackle can turn the momentum of a game, we need to have that working for us instead of against us !

AZ_Steeler
10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
The 2 biggest things in my book is get to Rivers and confuse him like he's never been confused before and no TURNOVERS! I think everything else will fall into place as long as these two things are done. I'm not worried about the D stoppping LT because they did last year, and as long as the coaching staff doesn't try to do things to fancy and keep it simple the Steelers will be fine!

Is it just me or is everyone else starting to get that feeling like when the Steelers were 7-5 last year?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I was thinking about that earlier this week. We're kinda in a funk right now and a win will go a long way to curing that. 7-5 last year, Ben was hurt, the offense was inept, defense was on the field all day. Then Ben came back, the offense clicked, the defense was playing dominant and making turnovers, everything fell into place.

Maybe this year we're getting the losses out of our system early so we can go on a nice long winning streak :greengrin:

augustashark
10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I will say this, we all know that SD will be bringing it next sunday eve. They are going to be pissed, that was a tough loss at Baltimore. I would have like to see them win that game. Button the chinstraps fella's, this is going to be one of those "if you aint bleeding then your not playing" games!

And to answer the question, no turnovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!