PDA

View Full Version : Steelers check out first-round draft candidate

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08101/872153-66.stm

Thursday, April 10, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, a candidate to be the Steelers' first-round draft choice, paid them a visit today at their facility in Pittsburgh.

Also visiting were cornerback Orlando Scandrick of Boise State and another running back, Chris Johnson of East Carolina.

They are definitely keeping their options open; this might very well be a smoke screen though too along with just covering all the bases so we don't get stuck with a guy we want when our pick comes around since anything can happen.

K Train
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
chris johnson....yeah baby

steelcitysfinestXL
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
chris johnson....yeah baby

DAMN SKIPPY!!! I'd be so **cking hype if we draft this dude... and he may be around in the 3rd!!!

K Train
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
no way he ran a 4.23 hes a definite second guy

Black@Gold Forever32
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
DAMN SKIPPY!!! I'd be so **cking hype if we draft this dude... and he may be around in the 3rd!!!

I like Chris Johnson as well but no way he lasts to the 3rd round...I think he goes early second round....His kick return ability alone might get him drafted that high...Plus he is a talented RB also and can play some WR....not much WR but at times you could see used as a Marshall Faulk type with his route running skills...

steelcityrockers
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
My problems with Johnson are a.) really don't need him now that MeMo is here, b.) he isn't a really tough runner, c.) all of his productio came against weaker schools.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
The Steelers don't usually make public any information as to who they are targeting or which position they might be leaning too but if we can take an interior lineman in the first I'd be quite happy with Johnson in the 2nd given our potential situation heading into 2009 at CB. I would just hate to see us really not take advantage of the OL class this year early on in the draft.

K Train
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
My problems with Johnson are a.) really don't need him now that MeMo is here, b.) he isn't a really tough runner, c.) all of his productio came against weaker schools.

hes so ****ing fast and elusive though

steelcityrockers
04-10-2008, 11:34 PM
K Train, just because you have not posted it, why do you think Mike Jenkins is a bum?

MillerTime83
04-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I am infactuated with Ray Rice from Rutgers. Dude is a mini tank and he hasnt got hurt. I like Chris Johnson, but id rather have :hail:Rice. :banana:

K Train
04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Because i think he projects at saftey and i cant stand when they are all over a CBs nuts because i think CB is a stupid position to draft in the first round because lot of guys just cant handle it. Sometimes you get a badass, bailey, hall, woodson, cromartie but most of the time you dont see an impact from rookie CBs. I think DRC is head and shoulders the best CB in this draft, and alot of sites agree with me now and bumped mclovin to #2. Mclovin is a better prospect for a short term deal but i think DRCs upside is to high to pass...same thing i thought when i wanted cromartie back when we drafted holmes, he was just a special player. DRC may not play anything more than NB his first year but he will make an imediate impact when he does play until he understands the pro game better....just a downfall to going to a small school.

Back to jenkins, he doesnt understand coverages well...theres just concepts you have to understand to play in a zone and he gets confused to much. Hes very rigid and has poor technique and theres just to much to be desired of his instincts. He played for a badass team that were underdogs all year long but USF is gonna be a beast of a program soon and i think he benefited to much from that underdog badass defense.

Im not just a hater though, i do like what i see from him sometimes, bum is just my word for overrated players. Hes a great athlete and does have good closing speed/ability to break on the ball. I just dont like him as a first round pick, but i feel that way about 90% of the corners who enter the draft

K Train
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I am infactuated with Ray Rice from Rutgers. Dude is a mini tank and he hasnt got hurt. I like Chris Johnson, but id rather have :hail:Rice. :banana:

the only thing that scares me about rice is a possible cedric benson syndrome, he was worked and worked and worked and worked and has alot of miles on him already

MillerTime83
04-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Funny you say that because I like Cedric Benson too. I think everyone underestimates how bad the bears O line was last year.Even the other Adrian Peterson didnt get good YPC. I say we trade for Cedric Benson or draft Ray Rice.... that would make me happy.... and everyone else want to kill some people from the Steelers orginization.

I like Smash mouth running backs like Bettis. I hate Wille Parker and I was hoping we got Tony Hunt last year, but I'd settle for Rice this year. Also I think we can grab Rice with a 3rd pick.:yellowthumb:

One more thing I would like to add that has nothing to do with RB's, but I remember reading an article (dont remember which) and Tomlin said he wants "big young players". So I have a feeling we are going to fill positions on the DL or OL.

Koopa
04-11-2008, 03:09 AM
cedric could be one bad mother ****er, but he has to much ricky williams in him, he idolizes him, he had long hair like him, when ricky cut it, so did he, i read he played summer baseball like ricky did when he was in college........... cedric will be out of the league in a couple of years and move in with ricky to smoke pot

also, bettis was a rare back, we'll never have a fat *** be as bad *** as bettis, and we probably won't see another fat *** be as bass *** as bettis was in this league period.......... y'all that want a bettis type seriously need to get over it already, just like y'all need to get over this "smashmouth" football, it doesn't win you jack **** anymore

steelcityrockers
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I like Rice but I don't think he will last, due to a heavy workload.

MillerTime83
04-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I didnt say get rid of Wille I just said i dont like him. They would compliment eachother like the saints RB's .Rice and Parker spliting carries......that would be badass.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
how do you not like a RB who has been a three year straight 1200+ yard seasons... our oline was horrible last year and our depth was pathetic at the rb possition!!! the reason that big bruiser back dont shine in this league is because they arent feature backs... the nfl is too fast for guys like ron dayne and the likes. Where bettis shined was that he had GREAT feet, VISION, and could make him self skinny when need be.... brandon Jacobs will be out of football in 3 years, he runs too high and take massive shots because of it... Steven Jackson is a Big back wh runs with Body lean and has explosive speed, that why he excels in the nfl... behind a good line!!! Last season there oline was horrible and he suffered because of it... like Ktrain doenst like big wrs i dont like big backs... they are too hard to come by any more...there is a reason Warrick dunn is one of the top in career rushing yards (active) you HAVE to possess speed at the RB position in today NFL!!!!

K Train
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
i hate fat backs and tall WRs....that doesnt mean i dont think willie is a scrub though

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Ummm......

Willie isn't a scrub, homeboy.

Not the best, no, but definitely not a scrub.

And I wouldn't say I hate fat backs nor tall wide receivers. Instead, I hate people who want a tall WR or a hefty RB regardless of if they can actually play football. Like Jovorskie Lane, who blows.

K Train
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Ummm......

Willie isn't a scrub, homeboy.

Not the best, no, but definitely not a scrub.

And I wouldn't say I hate fat backs nor tall wide receivers. Instead, I hate people who want a tall WR or a hefty RB regardless of if they can actually play football. Like Jovorskie Lane, who blows.

koopa sold the saying "willie just continues to show why he went undrafted when he plays against a respectable defense" which is absolutely true. Hes got alot to prove this year because he failed last season, i dont care how many yards he got...granted the line sucked but ive seen runners do more with less

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
If it is about lack of touchdowns, they always put the Super Pooper in near the goaline it seemed. Anyway, anybody having 1400 yard season is pretty much not a scrub. He mostly did do poorly against good defenses, but it is a little ard to run when there is three guys in your grill.

K Train
04-14-2008, 09:01 PM
its not about the touchdowns, its about the poor results, he had so many carries and not enough yards to match them if you ask me. i know the line sucked, but when you start to have people listing you in the top 5 RBs you need to produce, especially when your on a good team. he'll never be anything other than what he is, a system runner, hit the hole and go...no elusivness and **** poor vision

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Can't argue with the lack of vision or elusiveness. He does run hard though especially for someone his size. I honestly never thought he was in the upper echelon of RBs in the league. Hit the hole and go. That is what all RBs are told to do. It is also why RB is the easiest position to succeed in. Still, I think Willie is a solid starter.

K Train
04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
if he played for denver he would be unstoppable but our system asks him to do to much, we need another guy with him and get willie like 12 touches a game, thats when hes at his best

MillerTime83
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
i hate fat backs and tall WRs....that doesnt mean i dont think willie is a scrub though

Rice isnt a "fat back" hes only 199lbs. He reminds me of Tiki small little bruiser with a good amount of carries under his belt. Also he made his linemen look better than they really were with his vision and patience unlike wille.

steelcityrockers
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
K Train wasn't calling him a fat back

steelcitysfinestXL
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I dont know train:

1400 yards + Horrible o line = good back to me

His worst games were NYJ, Ari and Game one against BAL

The Baltimore and Arizona games Ben Had 250 yards and avg of 3 tds. The NYJ game ill give you they shut down the entire O. But when parker doesnt succeed ben does and we still win games. Thats the point!!! he never had a game w/ 30 carries or more like LJ, LT and Steven Jackson so to sat his number of carries were too high is a lil bogus. Yeah i'd like his YPC and TD's to be higher but he had a Probowl year.