PDA

View Full Version : Groves, Steelers strike chord

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Groves, Steelers strike chord
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 7, 2008

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.
As much as the Steelers seem to like Groves, a two-time all-Southeastern Conference selection, Groves has even deeper feelings for the Steelers.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"I'm kind of an old-school guy. Mean Joe Greene, he was probably one of the best I've ever seen doing what he does. I didn't grow up watching them but back over time, you watched guys like Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann -- how did he make that catch, how did he make that throw? I've got a chance to be a part of that if Pittsburgh drafts me. It's just those guys, and the things they did for that organization.''

The Steelers' feeling about Groves is apparently mutual. And the Steelers have plenty of company.
Groves is also scheduled to visit Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, New Orleans, New England, the Giants and Jets.

Give or take Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, a likely top-10 selection, Groves is considered the best defensive end/outside linebacker in the April 26-27 draft.

In case you missed coach Mike Tomlin's memo, the Steelers, who have the No. 23 overall pick, could use another pass rusher off the edge.

Groves led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007. A classic speed rusher, he's Auburn's career sack leader with 26.

"A lot of the great players in the NFL are from the SEC. It speaks to the level of competition I faced. The competition is unbelievable,'' Groves said. "Every team's looking for that great pass rusher since the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. I'm athletic enough to play linebacker, but I'm also strong and physical enough to play defensive end. I feel like I can take my ability to the next level.''

The Steelers thought enough about Groves' potential to send Tomlin and other staff members to observe Auburn's Pro Day on March 10.

Recovering from a severe case of the flu that resulted in him losing 10 pounds, Groves received motivation from an unlikely source.

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

That's when Groves came to realize how the Steelers -- his Steelers -- really felt about him.

"That did two things for me,'' he said. "It let me know that, hey, they're really interested in me as a player. And it gave me motivation to do even better.''

Groves plays with a non-stop motor, but he's so much more. He's an energy guy with talent who dominated in the best conference in college football. The Steelers apparently like what they saw on tape. Today they hope to learn more about the player under the helmet.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_560987.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_560987.html)

Quentin Groves is currently three on my Steelers draft board behind Chris Williams and Brandon Albert...But really if the Steelers drafted Groves over those two even if both were still on the board (which is very unlikely) I wouldn't mind it at all....I'm really high on Groves and think Woodley and Groves would be very special duo at OLB....Harrison would start until Groves is ready but I think Harrison eventually could slide inside to replace Farrior down the road.....Plus when Timmons beats out Foote....The Steelers could have the makings of really special LB core again...Which you need in a 3-4....The current core is solid...But solid doesn't cut it for a 3-4....

Koopa
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
i've never seen him play, but i just read his profile on nfl draft countdown, and they called him a classic workout warrior.......... so in other words he's a bum lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
i've never seen him play, but i just read his profile on nfl draft countdown, and they called him a classic workout warrior.......... so in other words he's a bum lol

He played his senior season with broken toes...Yea he is a bum alright...:lol: Groves will be a badass....

K Train
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
the man is made to rush the passer

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
the man is made to rush the passer

The 3-4 was made for pass rushers like Groves....:lol:

DIESELMAN
04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I won't have no problems if we drafted Groves. He had a chance to declare for the 2007 draft but came back for his senior year.

K Train
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
honestly with guys like groves and woodley on the outside and harrison who can play all 4 spots and farrior who is obviously being phased out since hes so old but he still can play all four spots...timmons and footw fighiting over that spot, we could break sack records lol.

The reason we didnt get alot last year was cause tomlin played haggans way to much, air can block him. harrison would get double teamed and now with woodley who is just an amazing pass rusher our sack total should sky rocket. adding groves into the mix would be scary considering even though we play a 34 him and woodley could line up at DE in a 43 look and they would be crazy, especially since harrison would still be on the field and have to be accounted for too. you cant ever have to many pass rushers, and even though the dline needs to be addressed this wouldnt hurt

DIESELMAN
04-07-2008, 08:00 PM
harrison would get double teamed
That and all the holding calls not called, hopefully since Silverback made the Pro bowl, the officials will start throwing those flags.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
honestly with guys like groves and woodley on the outside and harrison who can play all 4 spots and farrior who is obviously being phased out since hes so old but he still can play all four spots...timmons and footw fighiting over that spot, we could break sack records lol.

The reason we didnt get alot last year was cause tomlin played haggans way to much, air can block him. harrison would get double teamed and now with woodley who is just an amazing pass rusher our sack total should sky rocket. adding groves into the mix would be scary considering even though we play a 34 him and woodley could line up at DE in a 43 look and they would be crazy, especially since harrison would still be on the field and have to be accounted for too. you cant ever have to many pass rushers, and even though the dline needs to be addressed this wouldnt hurt

Post of the year so far....I couldn't have said it better myself.....In a 3-4 defense the LBs have to be special and make big plays constantly....This current core last year didn't do that enough on a consistent basis.....Having Groves and Woodley at the OLB spots....Moving Harrison inside when Farrior is done and having Timmons at the other ILB spot the Steelers could have a LB core at the level they had in the mid 90s with Lloyd, Greene, Brown and Kirkland.....I know thats asking alot....But Groves, Woodley, Timmons are young enough and have the talent...Harrison is a badass we all know that now.....

steelcityrockers
04-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't really want him in the first. There are too many holes to fill to da=raft a luxury pick.

K Train
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
stewart would be a luxury pick...groves is a legit need, harrison isnt a young dude and farrior is fading fast

steelcityrockers
04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I would much rather have an OL. Plus, they could get someone later anyway. I wouldn't cry if we took him but he is not my first choice.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I would much rather have an OL. Plus, they could get someone later anyway. I wouldn't cry if we took him but he is not my first choice.

and you're entitled to that....can't say you're wrong...I just disagree....But I do agree that OL is the bigger need....But I don't think the Steelers have any shot at Jake Long or Ryan Clady...after that the only two OL that I want in the first round are Chris Williams or Brandon Albert....Its possible both of them won't be there at 23....Plus even if both were there I still wouldn't be upset with Groves being the pick...You can't have enough quality pass rushers....I agree you might be able to pick one up later in the draft.....Shawn Crable or Brian Johnston...But I in my opinion both of them are not as good as Groves.....

Really though I just was a quality good football player period....really the position doesn't matter just as long as the Steelers draft right....I think you would agree with that....:yellowthumb:

K Train
04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
i need me some impact players worth a 23rd overall pick...thats what would make ktrain happy

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 12:57 AM
i need me some impact players worth a 23rd overall pick...thats what would make ktrain happy

Thats what makes me happy also....Thats what I meant with a quality football player...It should be expected a first round pick has to be an impact player.....

K Train
04-08-2008, 12:59 AM
i dont care if its someone i absolutely hate, if they come in and make a differnece **** it, if they win im happy lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 01:07 AM
i dont care if its someone i absolutely hate, if they come in and make a differnece **** it, if they win im happy lol

even Otah...:lol:

K Train
04-08-2008, 01:27 AM
no **** otah lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 01:28 AM
no **** otah lol

I agree.....:lol: just checking....lol

K Train
04-08-2008, 01:35 AM
otah is my this years version of adam carriker

steelcityrockers
04-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Adam Carriker who had a very strong season? Otah has a very high ceiling and I wouldn't really mind him either.

K Train
04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
he would fail in a 34 and he was a part of a terrible defense, there wasnt a player on the rams who had a very strong season

steelcityrockers
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Carriker and Clifton Ryan and OJ Atogwe all had nice seasons. Atogwe was a Pro Bowl snub and had an NFC leading 8 Interceptions. I think that would constitute a very solid season, no? The Rams defensive problems came from very little outside pass rush, a below average linebacking corps, and poor play by the corners.

Offensively, no one had a good season. The main reason for that was an injured O-Line, and poor depth there.

I don't think Carriker would fail in a 3-4. He is strong and well built and holds up well against the run. Also provides pass rush. I think the Rams did play him where he will be most successful though.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
who cares about the rams!!! In the last 10 drafts the steelers have drafted 5 probolwers in the first round, 3 of which made the 75th anniversary team!! If colbert and tomlin draft this dude its because he would make our defense into something real speacial. I agree o-line is apressing need but if there isn't a guy with 23rd overall value then were not the type of team to reach to fill a void! They have said all offseason no position is ruled out except TE and Qb so groves would not suprised me in the least... But is there a possibility we could trade down and still get him and squire a few more picks?

K Train
04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
we dont reach....its not really our style, and some of you are gonna say timmons was a reach but he was valued fine at that pick and hes gonna make an impact this year, if theres not quality lineman out there we will get the best player available

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
we dont reach....its not really our style, and some of you are gonna say timmons was a reach but he was valued fine at that pick and hes gonna make an impact this year, if theres not quality lineman out there we will get the best player available

cough cough....um Troy Edwards....That was a reach....:lol: In my opinion the Steelers could have still traded down a few spots and drafted Timmons.....So it was a slight reach...But whatever just as long Timmons makes plays and becomes a very good player then it won't matter....But I'm still not over the reaching of Troy Edwards in 99 and never will be...lol

Koopa
04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
cough cough....um Troy Edwards....That was a reach....:lol: In my opinion the Steelers could have still traded down a few spots and drafted Timmons.....So it was a slight reach...But whatever just as long Timmons makes plays and becomes a very good player then it won't matter....But I'm still not over the reaching of Troy Edwards in 99 and never will be...lol

i still think you are wrong about that they could have traded down, if you look at the players that were drafted after him, there wasn't going to be any interest in the 15th pick

anyway........ i guess i'd be fine with groves just because he's a steelers fan, he'd probably play harder since he's playing for the team he grew up rooting for

K Train
04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
lol troy edwards....i was a baby back then lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2008, 10:42 PM
lol troy edwards....i was a baby back then lol

You were a baby and I was 20...lol

K Train
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
i was like 9 lol

steelcitysfinestXL
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Thats exactly what i said! Edwards was a bust... not to many people expected that out of him, i know i didnt!!!! Like i said, its hard to say the steelers would "reach'' for anyone because of the fact they are one of the few teams year to year that have to ability to draft the best player available!!! So we tend to get value no matter who we pick! Groves would be one hell of a value as a guy who says he can play a 3-4 OLB or DE if needed and be comfortable doing both!!!
Plus, like mentioned, Him, woodley,silver back, foote, Farrior and Timmons, would be a beast of a LB corp, flat out the best!! Im not buying into this whole "Foote is a mediocre player" shiate!!! Dude has given this team quite a few quality years!!! With that being said i do believe he would be the odd man out of that crew due to contract/money issues and age. Farrior has NOT started slipping yet and any talks of so is moronic!!! His age is getting up there and his contract is up soon (i believe). So drafting a LB would not be a bad move if the value is there and it is with Groves

Black@Gold Forever32
04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Thats exactly what i said! Edwards was a bust... not to many people expected that out of him, i know i didnt!!!! Like i said, its hard to say the steelers would "reach'' for anyone because of the fact they are one of the few teams year to year that have to ability to draft the best player available!!! So we tend to get value no matter who we pick! Groves would be one hell of a value as a guy who says he can play a 3-4 OLB or DE if needed and be comfortable doing both!!!
Plus, like mentioned, Him, woodley,silver back, foote, Farrior and Timmons, would be a beast of a LB corp, flat out the best!! Im not buying into this whole "Foote is a mediocre player" shiate!!! Dude has given this team quite a few quality years!!! With that being said i do believe he would be the odd man out of that crew due to contract/money issues and age. Farrior has NOT started slipping yet and any talks of so is moronic!!! His age is getting up there and his contract is up soon (i believe). So drafting a LB would not be a bad move if the value is there and it is with Groves

I knew Edwards was going to suck so it didn't surprise me that he faded away after a solid rookie season....But the Steelers could have traded down in 99 and still drafted Edwards....Thats called reaching...lol

As for Larry Foote...He is a good player but really in a 3-4 this defense asks more out its LBs.......Dude I want to get back to the days of having four bad *** play making LBs.....Groves, Woodley, Harrison and Timmons sounds good to me...I think Harrison could slide inside to replace Farrior since Farrior is in the last year of his contract....Farrior is still playing at high level but I don't know if he will be resigned due to his age....

K Train
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
farrior will take a paycut to stay and harrison is way better suited inside imo

MillerTime83
04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I love how people say we could have traded down for the same guy. There is nothing set in stone or predictable in the NFL. Never was never will be.:nono:

Black@Gold Forever32
04-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I love how people say we could have traded down for the same guy. There is nothing set in stone or predictable in the NFL. Never was never will be.:nono:

Thats why I said in my opinion...lol Its my opinion and thats all it is...so **** off...:lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
farrior will take a paycut to stay and harrison is way better suited inside imo

true that harrison is one hell of a FORM tackler, plus he plays with great natural instincts!!! He would be a pretty good ILB!!!

steelcityrockers
04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Just asuggestion man, calm down with the excalmation points.

K Train
04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
true that harrison is one hell of a FORM tackler, plus he plays with great natural instincts!!! He would be a pretty good ILB!!!

he was farriors backup for a few years and he killed it when he got to play at that spot

steelcitysfinestXL
04-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Just asuggestion man, calm down with the excalmation points.

why... why do you do it? when i want your input on what i should do, i'll let you know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-EXCLAMATION-

steelcityrockers
04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Why don't I do it? It makes you look immature, unprofessional, and makes your posts look kind of crappy.

$teelersRule
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
steelcityrockers i completely agree with you on that one i think it looks pretty dumb. no offense though man. like he said its only a suggestion.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-17-2008, 01:27 PM
wow, i guess every forum has its people who want to harp on somthing that has nothing to do with the topic. Regardless im not gonna jack this thread by arguing with you because its obvious you have some kinda issue with me/my posts. I feel stupid for even sinking to this level and talking to you. Rockers, if you dont have any FOOTBALL related things to say to me, do me a favor and keep your suggestions for me, to yourself.

steelcityrockers
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Calm down, homie. Like I said, just a suggestion.