PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu Is Not Cutting His Hair for Anybody

Deb
04-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Just So You Know, NFL: Troy Polamalu Is Not Cutting His Hair for Anybody (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/03/just-so-you-know-nfl-troy-polamalu-is-not-cutting-his-hair-for/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2008/04/troy-polamalu-hair-040308.jpg
So we know Herm Edwards (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/HermEdwards/) hates hippies and all they stand for (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/31/herm-edwards-on-nfl-hair-proposal-is-it-a-cultural-thing-no/). But the unintended consequences of the the proposed "hair rule" (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/21/nfl-could-ban-hair-flowing-out-of-helmets/) is some players might totally disregard it. Like, say, Troy Polamalu (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/TroyPolamalu/). At least that's what former teammate Clark Haggans, recently on Fox Sports Radio (http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors), thinks:
"Now they're diving into you got to wear your hair a certain way. I know Troy Polamalu is not going to cut his hair for anybody. He's going to grow his hair until the end of time. So with him, I don't know if he was suppose to rock a bun or something like that or go with a little scrunchy that girls wear. I know with him that's not going to happen because when he lets his hair out, its time to play. I would say it's personal preference. I mean you got players from the 70's that play in the NBA that have all kinds of afros, corn rows, and all that other stuff. Hockey has mullets. So why change your hair in football." Haggans makes a good point: Polamalu only "rocks a bun" during pregame warm-ups and formal occasions. Game time = go time*. And if hockey players can sport mullets, which presumably hide the name on the jersey, why is it an issue for the NFL?

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/nfl/)

SteelersWoman
04-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Troy's number is plainly visible on his helmet, and as of now, even on his jersey....don't really see why the name must be visible as well.

As long as they sign some sort of waiver that they won't hold the NFL financially responsible for head/neck/ (or whatever other injuries occur) as a result of being pulled down by the hair, then it should be player's choice.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
This will never fly in the NFL, they tabled it in this years discussions at the spring meetings but the players association would have a field day with this in court if the NFL tried to make them cut their hair. Im with Troy on this one and any other player that feels the length of their hair is proportionate to their culteral or religious beliefs. The NFL has more problems to deal with than the length of players hair!

TampaSteelGirl
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
There is no way the NFL should make people go against their cultural beliefs! I wouldn't cut my hair either! You can see his number, who cares about the name!! First you can't celebrate in the end zone then they want everyone to cut their hair off and now what next?? Let them just play some freakin football and stop with the petty rules!!!!!!! :banging:

Brady Quinn
04-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I would not cut mine for the league either, but I sure as hell would tackle some one by their hair and not feel bad about it at all. It is fair game.

Stairwayto7
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I would not cut mine for the league either, but I sure as hell would tackle some one by their hair and not feel bad about it at all. It is fair game.

I don`t Troy cares about getting dragged down by his hair!

Brady Quinn
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Its not that he cares, its just gonna hurt like hell. It is not just Troy, a lot of running backs have long hair sticking out too. Josh Cribbs would get the same treatment before I let him run a kickoff back.

Hawk Believer
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I think its reasonable to be concerned about cervical spine injuries due to being tackled by the hair. And I think that the NFL does have an obligation to be proactive in player safety issues. Some times they do need to be protected from themselves. Why can't he just tuck it into his jersey?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think anybody would fault them for the just bringing it up as a concern to the teams, maybe showing some videos of potential injuries, education on the subject, etc. but try and force them to cut their hair is just asking for trouble. When it comes to culture and religion individuals are hard core about and those players will pay the fine every week if they have to. They'll pay a fine for throwing a ball into a stand or wearing a jersey number that wasn't assigned to their position so you know they'll pay the fine if that's what it comes down to if the NFL wants to continue this.

memphissteelergirl
04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
You make a good point, Hawk. But there should be some room for compromise, here. I think Troy or other players have to learn to tuck the hair into their helmets some kind of way.

JoeThomas
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
it wouldnt of been forcing them to cut it, just making them hide it. i dont see why thats an issue. im all for it if you want long hair, and they dont complain when they are pulled down by it. until they do then i dont think you need a rule against it.

yinzer
04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I think its reasonable to be concerned about cervical spine injuries due to being tackled by the hair. And I think that the NFL does have an obligation to be proactive in player safety issues. Some times they do need to be protected from themselves. Why can't he just tuck it into his jersey?

he has a better chance of injuring his spine/spinal cord tackling somebody than he does getting tackled by his hair.

Hawk Believer
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
he has a better chance of injuring his spine/spinal cord tackling somebody than he does getting tackled by his hair.

That could be true. I really doubt there is any objective evidence either way. It would seem that the practice of tackling someone by the hair creates circumstances pretty similar to a face mask.

I guess it just seems like a reasonable thing to say that people need to tuck their hair into their jersey if they choose to grow it long. You aren't given that choice if you work in a machine shop, the military, or a lot of business jobs. Why is it such a travesty to say a football player has to do it for 3 hours a week?

K Train
04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
i think if the league says he needs to cut his hair he needs to cut his ****ing hair and not whine about it. hes already an underacheiver whos not commited to keeping himself at the best he can be, now hes not gonna follow the rules. to me if your gonna play in the nfl your gonna have to follow the rules, your the highest paid safety in the league and its the nfl paying you. Its not like the nfl is making the nation cut their hair, YOUR hair can be as long as you want, but its his job and other jobs have rules about dressing and what you look like....why wouldnt the nfl?

they wouldnt make him cut it anyway, they would have him keep it up...its not exactly rocket science, i just dont think troy has the right to bitch about anything, hes making a ton of money and just does whatever he wants both on the field with being out of position and off the field by not conditioning or lifting

DIESELMAN
04-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Troy needs to shave it all off and go bald, maybe allowing him to grow his hair back will be a better incentive to play like the USC Troy we all know, cuz the big, fat contract he got damn sure didn't do it.:greengrin:

TEEMONT
04-05-2008, 03:42 PM

Your getting paid millions of dollars to play ball...HARD (which troy didnt do last year), and present a certain image. You would do what the NFL told yo uto do.

K Train
04-05-2008, 03:44 PM
how the hell is he supposed to make the probowl if he cant look like a lion when he whiffs tackles

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Troy's new deal- Get 8 or more INT's and you can keep the hair.:steelerssign:

AR Steeler
04-06-2008, 11:07 AM
the refs call a number when a penalty is committed not a name !:tt02::bengalssign::bengalssign:

BlitzburghNation
04-06-2008, 12:54 PM
the refs call a number when a penalty is committed not a name !:tt02::bengalssign::bengalssign:

Exactly,,,,,,,,:plus1:

Bombhunter
04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. If that is what the NFL, which is a business, decides that's what they want, I think he should cut it or leave. I'd love to grow my hair long, or grow a beard, but my employer has rules against that. What would give me the right to say that I wasn't going to follow the rules set by them, and still expect to be employed by them? I really don't think the NFL is being unreasonable here...

K Train
04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. If that is what the NFL, which is a business, decides that's what they want, I think he should cut it or leave. I'd love to grow my hair long, or grow a beard, but my employer has rules against that. What would give me the right to say that I wasn't going to follow the rules set by them, and still expect to be employed by them? I really don't think the NFL is being unreasonable here...

:plus1:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
i look at it as the NBA and their rule changes in the last few years... players must be "professionally dressed" upon arrival on game day, that doesnt mean a suit but they cant have baggy *** sweats on and so forth!!! I think its a lil rediculous if he would have to cut his hair a certain length, but i would understand making him keep it concealed in his jersey or helmets. Plus they should have him, al harris, mike mckenzie and the likes sign a waiver saying they are souly responsible for any injury resulting from their hair!!!

portcityblackandgold
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
He's gonna tuck it or find something else to do with his time. Safety issues are non-negotiable. And in a TEAM sport he'll have to modify his personal feelings to compliance or find an INDIVIDUAL sport to participate in. Because his non-compliance will hurt the TEAM.

$teeler$guy
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
NO way troy way its a change from everyone else