PDA

View Full Version : NFL Apologizes For Screwing the Steelers

Deb
04-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Three Months Later, NFL Apologizes For Screwing the Steelers (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/02/three-months-later-nfl-apologizes-for-screwing-the-steelers/)

Three months later, the NFL has said it's sorry.

On the key fourth down and two late in the Jaguars playoff game, director of officiating Mike Peirera said the Jags should have been flagged (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08093/869712-66.stm) for a holding penalty. That holding penalty would have wiped away David Garrard's 32-yard scramble and would have given the Jaguars a fourth and 12 instead. If Pittsburgh had held on fourth and 12 (which seems pretty likely), they would have advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

While it's nice to hear that, it just confirms what the Steelers already knew. Casey Hampton was tackled on the play, something that's pretty obvious on the replay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7jbqP-NPk

But the apology doesn't change anything, it just reminds us Steelers fans of the pain that we felt that night. Personally I can't do anything but shrug my shoulders at the news.

Besides, I'm still holding out for an apology for the illegal forward lateral that was crucial to the Patriots AFC Championship win over the Steelers in 2001.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/)

TEEMONT
04-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Apologies do nothing for me.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks for nothing...maybe next time try and get it right when it can actually still make a difference :evilshake:

steelersgal86
04-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks for nothing...maybe next time try and get it right when it can actually still make a difference :evilshake:

:ditto: too late now :cursin:

portcityblackandgold
04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
The NFL changed the play off selection process for officials from crews to individual officials. Three officials missed the call on that play. I applaud Mr Peirera for admitting to the missed call:clap: But why now? What's the purpose?:scratch:

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-03-2008, 07:19 AM

:deadhorse: Thanks for cheering us up Deb!! :lol:

DIESELMAN
04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
BOOOOO!!! Apology? We don't need no stinkin apology!! They can take that apology and shove it!!

Steelerlyn
04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I wonder if there is a poll (for lack of a better word) out there that states how many times the NFL has apologized to the Steelers as opposed to other teams in the NFL because it surely seems to me that in the last 5 years the NFL has apologized too many times to the Steelers. Possible game changing decisions, they generally do it the week after play.......why did this take 3 months?

Iron City South
04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I think when the league met this past week to pass the new rules, they also passed this one:

- No less than once per year, we will issue an apology to the Pittsburgh Steelers for skewing the outcome of a game and fu<king up their season. This apology will be sincere and express our deepest regret. This apology is to be issued in the off-season or no later than prior to the start of the NFL Draft for the following season.

yinzer
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I wonder if there is a poll (for lack of a better word) out there that states how many times the NFL has apologized to the Steelers as opposed to other teams in the NFL because it surely seems to me that in the last 5 years the NFL has apologized too many times to the Steelers. Possible game changing decisions, they generally do it the week after play.......why did this take 3 months?

because the officials were probably scared for their lives!

Brady Quinn
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
They could appoligize to all teams. There is holding on every play. There are penalties on every play. If they called them all the game would last 10 hours. It sucks, but it is a reality!

K Train
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
yeah well we screwed ourselves so you cant really be bitter since we DID call a qb run lol

BlitzburghNation
04-03-2008, 01:51 PM
yeah well we screwed ourselves so you cant really be bitter since we DID call a qb run lol

EXACTLY :plus1:

JensK
04-03-2008, 02:02 PM
They could appoligize to all teams. There is holding on every play. There are penalties on every play. If they called them all the game would last 10 hours. It sucks, but it is a reality!

This is indeed very true, but its not acceptable that it happens in a play-off game, at a very crusial time. That call won the game for Jaguars. If it had happened at pretty much all other plays, it wouldnt be such a big deal, but seeing when it happened and how it happened (because it was rather obvious...), its not acceptable that they miss it.

I do have to agree with ktrain though. We had alot of chances to get the job done, and we didn't. My point still stands though... Pretty much last and most crusual play in a play-off game, is not where you miss such an obvious call!

memphissteelergirl
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
This is indeed very true, but its not acceptable that it happens in a play-off game, at a very crusial time. That call won the game for Jaguars. If it had happened at pretty much all other plays, it wouldnt be such a big deal, but seeing when it happened and how it happened (because it was rather obvious...), its not acceptable that they miss it.

I do have to agree with ktrain though. We had alot of chances to get the job done, and we didn't. My point still stands though... Pretty much last and most crusual play in a play-off game, is not where you miss such an obvious call!

:ditto:

steelcityrockers
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I don't care.

GoBenGo
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
...other than that mrs lincoln, how'd you like the play?...

kgreen
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
To little too late. I could care less. But hey, if there is a team who would LOVE an apology for bad calls, it is the Cryhawks.

DBR96A
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
You know, if we played well enough to begin with, then we wouldn't have had to worry about this ****. We didn't deserve to win that game, just the same way the Seattle Seahawks didn't deserve to win Super Bowl XL. Let me put it another way: the best boxers don't rely on TKO's. They go for KO's. I said it after Super Bowl XL, and I'll say it again: sore losers blame the refs.

(ASIDE: I admire how Mike Tomlin and the front office have been very quiet about this, instead of crying about it.)

TampaSteelGirl
04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
You know, if we played well enough to begin with, then we wouldn't have had to worry about this shiat. We didn't deserve to win that game, just the same way the Seattle Seahawks didn't deserve to win Super Bowl XL. Let me put it another way: the best boxers don't rely on TKO's. They go for KO's. I said it after Super Bowl XL, and I'll say it again: sore losers blame the refs.

(ASIDE: I admire how Mike Tomlin and the front office have been very quiet about this, instead of crying about it.)

Totally agree here! We didn't play as well as we should have and that call shouldn't have been the deciding factor in the game anyway! Garrard shouldn't have ever gotten that far down the field anyway! When i read that article the comments from people at the end of course list the freaking Seahawks fans all squaking about the SB XL again!! I"m so sick of hearing that!! NO Offense Hawkbeliever but i'm so sick of hearing that, we take all our loses gracefully! We've had some bad ones and you don't hear us crying about it!! It wouldn't have made a difference with the TD with Ben! They didn't have any decent plays the entire game!! Geeez!!! GET OVER IT!!!

Stairwayto7
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
@#$%^&*()_!@#$%^&*()_+!@#$%^&*()_