PDA

View Full Version : Branden Albert scouting report

K Train
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Strengths:
Excellent size with a big frame and long arms...Fantastic athlete...Good quickness and agility...Strong and physical...Is nasty with a killer instinct...Mobile with decent range to pull and get to the second level...Smart with good awareness...Excellent pass blocker and also gets a decent push in the run game...Real versatile..Leader with great intangibles...Tough and durable..Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Still has some work to do in the technique department...Can be inconsistent with his leverage...Motor runs hot and cold at times..Not a dominant run blocker...Has to work on holding his blocks and finishing....He is still relatively new to the game.

Notes:
Did not begin playing football until his junior year of high school in 2002..Was also a standout basketball player as a prep...Stepped in as a true freshman and was a three-year starter for the Cavs ( 36 games )...Named a team captain as a junior in 2007...He started a couple of games at left tackle as a junior in place of an injured Eugene Monroe and could possibly play outside at the pro level as well...First-rate talent with exceptional physical tools....Already a great all-around player however his best days are still ahead...The rare offensive guard who is a legit first rounder

TEEMONT
04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I hate the word "upside", but his is scary.

K Train
04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
hes really grown on me...theres just about no one i would rather have at this point

TEEMONT
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
hes really grown on me...theres just about no one i would rather have at this point

If Chris Williams is available, I think I would rather have him, just b/c we need a legit LT, and then Starks becomes very expendable.

We have decent guards, Simmons is a legit starter IMO, and Kemoatu (sp?) and Colon can fight it out at the other spot.

K Train
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
williams is THE ONLY guy i would rather have....albert is a badass and i really think that if we draft him in the first its because we plan on moving him to LT soon. He wouldve played LT last year but both him and the dude he was gonna switch with (who will be a badass prospect in his own right) missed spring training so they just kept them where they were, but hes got excellent size and very long arms with probably the best footwork in the draft. Hes got all the tools to be a dominate tackle and hes described as nasty with killer instinct....whats not to love about that? From a pass protecting standpoint hes more than pro ready....and PP isnt something our guards can do, not even faneca could be considered a solid pass protector

TEEMONT
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I almost don't want a line that is good at PP, Ben is scary-good on the run...lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Chris Williams or Brandon Albert....Actually Ryan Clady...but thats not happening..lol But Williams 1a and Albert 1b for me....I don't think Williams will be there at 23 but I can hope.....

kgreen
04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I'll take any of these three in the first round:
-Gosder Cherilus
-Brandon Albert
-Chris Williams

I'll make exceptions for:
-Aqib Talib
-Antione Canson

I WILL NOT accept:
-LBs
-WRs
-SS, FS
-TE

I really want:
-Owen Schmitt
-Gosder Cherilus
-Chris Long (won't happen, but I can dream right?)
-Justin King

MDSteel15
04-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I have seen where the damn Deadskins are VERY hi on Brandon Albert! We better start figuring on Williams and Albert not making it to our roster any time soon.....

K Train
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I'll take any of these three in the first round:
-Gosder Cherilus
-Brandon Albert
-Chris Williams

I'll make exceptions for:
-Aqib Talib
-Antione Canson

I WILL NOT accept:
-LBs
-WRs
-SS, FS
-TE

I really want:
-Owen Schmitt
-Gosder Cherilus
-Chris Long (won't happen, but I can dream right?)
-Justin King
cason in the first would be straight retarded...and at this point i dont like talib there either, i love talib as a player but im morally opposed to drafting corners not named cromartie in the first.

we either go oline, dline, LB or WR in the first

Williams
Albert
Merling
Sweed
Groves
Kelly
Cherilus

thats how i would have our big board this year...If williams, albert, groves and merling are gone...dont be shocked at a WR with ben bitching for more weapons

I have seen where the damn Deadskins are VERY hi on Brandon Albert! We better start figuring on Williams and Albert not making it to our roster any time soon.....

skins need dline and safety....Derek Harvey (beast) or kenny phillips would be more likely picks imo.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't know if Id want a guard in the first round. I mean our line sucked even when we had Faneca how is Albert gonna change that???? I'd rather have an OT like Chris Williams than a guard because we need a tackle more than anything right now. plus we can move Colon to guard where he should be which he can fight it our with Kemoatu. and if we really wanted to have a more dominant running game we need not draft Bradon Albert we draft OWEN SHMITT

K Train
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Albert is gonna play tackle someday and a straight up badass is better than a scrub. and oh yea....schmitt...theres the answer...give me a ****ing break, hes a ****ing fullback

Captcoolhand
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't know if Id want a guard in the first round. I mean our line sucked even when we had Faneca how is Albert gonna change that???? I'd rather have an OT like Chris Williams than a guard because we need a tackle more than anything right now. plus we can move Colon to guard where he should be which he can fight it our with Kemoatu. and if we really wanted to have a more dominant running game we need not draft Bradon Albert we draft OWEN SHMITTDude I like shmitt and have even went as far to pimp him, but he will never go higher than the 3rd round IMO.
Now if they did something like that in the 3-4th round, I wouldn't complain.

TEEMONT
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Didn't we just cut Schmitt? He wore #35 right?

We don't need a FB, and I was one who was on Kreiders nuts.

SteelersWoman
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM

You're right--I heard on NFLN that Albert will go somewhere in the first 10 in the first round.

They said everyone's now seeing his potential and that he'll go much higher than originally expected.

So unless we do some sort of trading with our other round picks, no way we'd get him.

With all the off-season FA deals we've done (and needs we've filled), I certainly would like to see that happen after all I've heard about Albert.

steelcityrockers
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Chris Williams or Brandon Albert....Actually Ryan Clady...but thats not happening..lol But Williams 1a and Albert 1b for me....I don't think Williams will be there at 23 but I can hope.....

Clady tore a muscle at his pro-day I think (could be wrong) he very well may be there. And for the record, Antoine Cason will be the best CB in this class when it is all said and done. And Cherilus sucks. 2nd round at best.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't know if Id want a guard in the first round. I mean our line sucked even when we had Faneca how is Albert gonna change that???? I'd rather have an OT like Chris Williams than a guard because we need a tackle more than anything right now. plus we can move Colon to guard where he should be.

I agree that Williams would be our best bet cause we have 4 capable guards if you include colon. I'm not sold on any fb though we don't need to waste a draft pick on that's position!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Every day it looks like more and more we're going to have to trade up if we want Albert in the 1st. His stock seems to be rising almost by the day. With not much ammo in our arsenal only have 6 picks the possibility of trading up is not likely, although it is certainly possible.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08103/872732-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Draft provides a chance to replace Faneca
Saturday, April 12, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers looked for help in their offensive line, wanting to further protect their franchise quarterback and keep their renowned running game at full tilt.

Yet, with a late pick in the first round, it's rarely easy finding the ideal offensive lineman. Back in 1998, they not only found him, they drafted one of their best offensive linemen in history when they took Alan Faneca, a junior guard from LSU, with the 26th pick of the draft.

The franchise quarterback, Kordell Stewart, has long since departed but Faneca went on to play in seven Pro Bowls and was voted the only guard on their 75th Anniversary team.

The Steelers draft 23rd this year and would love to find Faneca's replacement in the April 26-27 draft. Yesterday, another junior guard with Faneca-like credentials paid them a visit, but they must have even better luck than they did 10 years ago to land such a lineman in the draft.

Virginia's Branden Albert has everything anyone is looking for in a guard: A former basketball player, he's extremely athletic and quick, and at 6-5 1/2, 309, he's a monster who will get only larger. He also has the ability to play left tackle.

Albert was among four college prospects to visit the Steelers yesterday as they continue to do their draft homework.

Once upon a time, say a few months earlier, it looked as if the Steelers might have a shot at Albert at No. 23. But the mock drafts that fill the landscape almost all have him chosen before the Steelers' turn. He's now considered a possible top 15 choice.

He's the best guard in the draft and on the rise with a bullet.

It appears the only way the Steelers can draft him now would be to move up in the first round -- the way they did to get safety Troy Polamalu in the 2003 draft, when they traded their third-round draft choice to move from 27th to 16th in the first round.

The Steelers, though, are less likely to trade away such high draft picks this year; they only have six and they need help in many areas. Nevertheless, stranger things have happened in the draft, like the time in 1987 when Rod Woodson slipped all the way to them at No. 10.

Blitzburgh55
04-13-2008, 05:24 PM
i really want Albert
he need a beast on the oline