PDA

View Full Version : Steelers opposed to playoff seeding changes

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/87930/

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

They’re on board with Commissioner Roger Goodell’s initiatives designed to protect what’s being referred to as the integrity of the game, things such as random spot checks of locker rooms and team facilities to serve as a deterrent to cheating.

They’re not opposed to proposals that would implement some kind of direct coach-to-player communication for the defense, similar to what already exists for the offense.

They’re willing to listen to the idea of implementing some kind of moratorium designed to prevent tampering before the official start of free agency.

When the NFL owners gather for several days of meetings that begin on Sunday, March 30, the Steelers will be attending with an open mind about everything that figures to be discussed, with one notable exception:

The seeding of teams for the playoffs.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are believed to be the team that will propose a change to the NFL’s current system of postseason seeding, which places division winners above wild card qualifiers, regardless of overall record. The Jaguars’ proposal would seed teams for the playoffs based on overall record.

“We’re going in with an open mind on most things with one exception – playoff seeding with regard to the division winners,” said Steelers president Art Rooney II. “That’s one thing we’re opposed to, and we have always been opposed to ideas like this that diminish the value of winning the division.”

The Jaguars’ position can be seen as self-serving, because if the seedings of the AFC teams in the 2007 playoffs had been done strictly by overall record, the Steelers would have played the Wild Card Game in Jacksonville.

As it was, the 10-6 Steelers hosted the 11-5 Jaguars at Heinz Field, because Pittsburgh won the AFC North while Jacksonville finished second in the AFC South to 13-3 Indianapolis.

“We always have felt that (winning the division) is an important part of the season, an important part of the way the fans appreciate the season,” said Rooney. “We just don’t see any reason to fool with that at this point.”

Rooney also addressed the other issues likely to be presented at the NFL meetings, which will conclude on Wednesday, April 2.

On Commissioner Roger Goodell’s steps to protect the integrity of the game:

“I certainly agree that it’s an issue that needs to be addressed, and what we’ve heard from the commissioner so far makes sense, but obviously we’ve got to hear more details,” said Rooney. “It sounds like he’s going to put measures in place that should make a difference, certainly make people think twice if they are having thoughts of trying to skirt the rules.

“These days, you have to say there is an opportunity to exploit technology to gain an advantage that is not part of the rules. That is something that will probably an ongoing challenge as technology continues to advance. There is enough opportunity for people to be crafty with those things, and so the Commissioner is right to look at putting in place some measures to make sure people aren’t playing games with those kinds of opportunities.

“Little things – like inspecting the locker room before the game and having random spot checks of facilities and things like that – hopefully will prevent the kinds of things you don’t even want to have people being accused of.”

On providing the defense with the same kind of coach-to-player communication that already exists for the offense:

“I think it’ll help,” said Rooney. “The offense has had an advantage, and it’s something that’s recognized that the defense deserves to have their chance. The issue the last couple of years has been how to police it because there is so much substitution on the defensive side. As long as they can work through all of that, I think it’s a good thing.”

Other on-field issues to be discussed include the abolition of the 5-yard facemask penalty, expanding the use of replay to allow for field goal attempts to be reviewed to make sure the ball was inside the uprights, and what can be called the hair-out-of-the-helmet rule, which would ban players from wearing their hair in such a way that it covers the name on the back of the jersey.

“I think we probably would be inclined to be opposed to that change,” said Rooney about adopting a hair-out-of-the-helmet rule. “But I would say there probably needs to be some consideration on what it too much. What’s too much? Hair out of the helmet is one thing; hair halfway down a player’s back is something else. I don’t know. Should there be some kind of rule? I don’t know if that’s something we’d be prepared to vote on now, but it seems to be fair game for discussion.”

I don't think they would get enough interest at this point to change the playoff seeding scenario but some teams will make a stink about it, most notedly teams like Cleveland and Jax for instance. I'm kinda torn with this but winning the division should count for something otherwise teams that win it perhaps in a weak conference may never get a chance to be in the playoffs because stronger divisions will get all the seeds. I think at this point I like it the way it is.

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm with the Steelers, leave it the way it is.

yinzer
03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DIESELMAN
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
The Jags are being selfish, winning a division title is way more important. No ones fault they are in the same division as the Colts, they need to do a better job of winning the division instead of whining about being a visitor as a wild card team.

yinzer
03-26-2008, 08:25 PM
The Jags are being selfish, winning a division title is way more important. No ones fault they are in the same division as the Colts, they need to do a better job of winning the division instead of whining about being a visitor as a wild card team.

del rio is a bit of a cry baby anyway.

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2008, 08:31 PM
del rio is a bit of a cry baby anyway.

Del Rio is a dumbass. They shouldn't devalue the importance of winning the division especially since a home game is their reward for winning it. The Rooney's are right. It's absolutely stupid.

yinzer
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Del Rio is a dumbass. They shouldn't devalue the importance of winning the division especially since a home game is their reward for winning it. The Rooney's are right. It's absolutely stupid.

exactly. the JAGOFFjuars will be crying if the rule is changed and they are in a position to get home field.

Ambridge
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
What of load of steaming Crap!!
Division Winners should always get the higher seed........PERIOD!!

This reminds me of how the Kansas City Chiefs pissed and moaned after the
'05 season trying to make an arguement that more teams should be allowed in the playoffs only because they narrowly missed getting the last wild card spot on the final weekend of the season.

Koopa
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
i actually would like the change, no fair that a team that is in an **** *** division gets home field because they were lucky to win while another team has a better record and is in hard division to win is punished

Black@Gold Forever32
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
i actually would like the change, no fair that a team that is in an shiat *** division gets home field because they were lucky to win while another team has a better record and is in hard division to win is punished

Ok then get rid of divisions all together....It would make winning a division title pointless........The Jags shouldn't have choked against the Colts.....Jags are a bunch whining *** bitches....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Del Rio has always been a whiner, he was that way back when he played in the league and he's that way now. When something doesn't go his way he'll **** and moan. If they had won their division they wouldn't be griping about this right now. Just win your division by taking care of business in the regular season and then you won't have to worry about it.

stlrbum
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Those that can can, Those that can't bitch and moan

Steelers 5 Lombardi's
Jaguars 5 playoff appearances

Ambridge
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Changing the seeding would do nothing but open Pandora's Box.

Next thing you know there will be two teams from the same division making the playoffs.....one team the division winner and the other the wild card team. There could be a scenario that the two teams meet in the divisional round and where the wild card team could have swept the division winner during the regular season and make the claim that since they swept the division winner that they should be awarded the home field game.

If a team is in a tough division then that's too bad....you want a first round home field game then win the division championship. Why should you be rewarded because you have an equal or one game better record than an actual Division winner.

Keep F'n with the game.....Changing the playoff seeding, sending regular home games over to Europe and elsewhere.....owners crying poormouth and they will eventually start chasing fans away.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Changing the seeding would do nothing but open Pandora's Box.

Next thing you know there will be two teams from the same division making the playoffs.....one team the division winner and the other the wild card team. There could be a scenario that the two teams meet in the divisional round and where the wild card team could have swept the division winner during the regular season and make the claim that since they swept the division winner that they should be awarded the home field game.

If a team is in a tough division then that's too bad....you want a first round home field game then win the division championship. Why should you be rewarded because you have an equal or one game better record than an actual Division winner.

Keep F'n with the game.....Changing the playoff seeding, sending regular home games over to Europe and elsewhere.....owners crying poormouth and they will eventually start chasing fans away.

They're already heading down that road...the NFL thinks they are doing everybody a favor with all this crap when in reality when you miss with something like the tradition of the game, that doesn't need to be changed, you are digging your own grave. NFL fans aren't stupid, we know what works and what doesn't. Some things can be overhauled like technology used in the games, some rules but leave the tradition of the game alone. It's worked for longer than anybody in the league has been around...if it broke don't F'n fix it!