PDA

View Full Version : NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren - Update 3/26 PM: No go, booger failed physical

Koopa
03-26-2008, 02:54 AM
The Steelers came to another contract agreement with one of their own players yesterday when long-snapper Greg Warren reached terms on a three-year contract. He will receive $2.3 million, including a signing bonus of $395,000.

Warren made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2005 and has been their long snapper since. He became a restricted free agent Feb. 29. Yesterday, the Steelers entertained another veteran free agent and three college prospects.

Anthony "Booger" McFarland, released last month by the Indianapolis Colts when he failed their physical, came to a contract agreement with the Steelers last night after meeting with team officials and taking a physical earlier in the day. He is a defensive lineman who is 6 feet, 300 pounds. He spent all last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Colts acquired McFarland in a trade with Tampa Bay in October 2006 for a second-round draft choice.

He was the Buccaneers' first-round draft choice in 1999 from LSU and played for Tampa Bay when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the secondary coach there.

The Steelers are set with their three starters in the defensive line, ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton. They are thin behind them, especially at end. They re-signed end Travis Kirschke, 34, before he would have become a free agent Feb. 29. Ryan McBean, a rookie who spent most of last season on the practice squad, recently had foot surgery and still cannot work out.

The three college prospects who visited the Steelers yesterday were Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable and linebacker Jerod Mayo of Tennessee.

The Steelers also announced that center Justin Hartwig finally signed his contract, one week after he agreed to a two-year, $3,725,000 with the team as a free agent from Carolina.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08086/867942-66.stm

yay, we are getting older..........dumb****s.........

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 07:11 AM
First off congrats to the team on resigning Greg Warren to a nice cap friendly deal. Warren is a good long snapper and this just sures up yet another part of the team.

As far as McFarland here, it's not as bad as you think. Take into consideration right now the team is happy with Keisel, Hampton, and Smith. All they have behind them now is Kirschke who has a chronic bad back; and McBean who barely made the team last year and did nothing. Do you really want to go into the 2008 season with that kind of talent, or lack thereof, behind the starters? McFarland still has a few years left in the tank and he didn't play at all last year. The dude was good when he playeed and he's got experience.

This doesn't mean we aren't going to draft a DL next month, because I think we still will but this does give us some veteran, experienced depth until we can bring a long a draft pick so will hopefully be able to step up to the challenge and push for a starting job in a year or 2.

Just because Tomlin wants us to get younger doesn't mean he's going to start bringing in all young guys and leave us vulnerable.

Stairwayto7
03-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Good Deal! We needed Warren signed, and we needed a steady backup on the D-Line. If the booger can stay healthy, he could be a steal!

Friday133
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Frankly, I can't believe how active they've been this offseason.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM

This is what we needed..some fresh blood in there making stuff happen, I can picture Tomlin bugging the crap out of the rooney's like a little kid begging for a new toy.Atleast there doing something!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Yeah, granted several of prospects we've signed in FA have been our own players but still we've brought in a ton of prospects and actually signed a few of them to help our team in various areas of need. Resigning the RFA's is no surprise, giving Ben the extension wasn't a surprise other than maybe how fast they got it done, the signings of Hartwig, Fox, and Moore all address areas of need last year, and now with McFarland it gives them some veteran depth while they hopefully grab a good draft pick to step up to the challenge.

ARKIESTEEL
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
What did we do with Hoke

Prosdo
03-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Glad Warren is locked up. McFarland should provide some nice depth for the D-line.

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
McFarland is a waste of money... Sure he's a good player back in the day but hell, he couldn't even pass a freak'n physical.:evilshake:
I'd like to know what exactly they gave him because I can't imagaine they got him for more than a year or 2 at best.

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
McFarland is a waste of money... Sure he's a good player back in the day but hell, he couldn't even pass a freak'n physical.:evilshake:
I'd like to know what exactly they gave him because I can't imagaine they got him for more than a year or 2 at best.

:plus1: Old - Broken - Worn out "It's like putting bald tires on your car"

:lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
we need veteran depth on the d-line, if mcfarland stays healthy he will b an awsome back up,the steelers don't sign injured players, the colts didn't want 2 pay mcfarland...........i'm surprise that they r still actived after they signed hartwig,my hats off 2 the front office an the rooneys 4 bringing n the right pieces, i think mcfarland will b an excellent back up, it depends on how much he wants 2 prove he can still play

Stairwayto7
03-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Thats what I want to know, how much $$$$$$$$$$$ ? We may have got a steal!

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
McFarland, 30, was due a base salary of $6.85million

McFarland missed the ’07 season after tearing the patella tendon in one of his knees during the first week of training camp. The Colts acquired him in a 2006 trade with Tampa Bay, sending the Buccaneers a second-round draft pick.

McFarland started 15 games with Indy, including its Super Bowl win over the Chicago Bears.

There was no comment from the Colts on the moves.

Bernard had hoped the team would at least approach him about addressing McFarland’s contract to lower the prohibitive cap number. That never happened.

“It’s a little disappointing because there was no attempt to redo the contract, and that’s something Anthony would have been interested in,’’ Bernard said.

“It’s also disappointing because of how the team brass acknowledged his contributions when he played and the fact he’s well ahead of schedule with his rehabilitation.”Well at least that's a good thing to know. :yesnod:
If he was willing to take a pay cut from Indy and never got it, how much of a cut did he take to come to pittsburgh when He was due a base of 6.85 million. :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
The Steelers wouldn't break the bank on a veteran like this. Im sure they give him a nice cap friendly deal and considering McFarland probably wasn't going to get that many offers for big money with teams who are good he probably figured this was a good option for him. It makes sense if you ask me.

Hoke is still the main backup for Casey; there's no quarantee that McFarland will make the team once camp is over but he does bring some veteran depth to help out Hoke plus when they go with 4 defensive lineman in certain situations that's when McFarland will really be able to step up and help in those rotations.

Iron City South
03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
6 ft. 300 lbs? .... WTF? Mother loven doughtnut eat'in Twinkie loven cakehole stuffing half healthy knocked knee old timer who couldn't even pass a motherfluffing physical for another team!

:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin:

V_83
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I really don't have an opinion until the dollar amount comes out. This could be a steal like Clevestinks says.

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
According to sources at scout.com (Jim Wexell report) the Steelers HAVE NOT signed Booger McFarland and have no plans to sign him after he barely passed their physical. Stay tuned for more confirmation on this story.

:clap:

Prosdo
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Hmm... odd KFFL reported they agreed on a deal. I wonder what's going on.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
yeah the PG reported that they "agreed to terms" but not they actually "signed" him yet. Guess we'll find out soon what the deal is. The depth certainly needs addressed here but having someone to backup Hoke who already backups Hampton is alittle odd unless they planned on playing a lot more 4 man fronts this year to compliment Lebeau's ever changing defensive schemes...which is entirely possible and the reason I assumed they wree thinking of when they signed him.

DIESELMAN
03-26-2008, 02:59 PM
According to sources at scout.com (Jim Wexell report) the Steelers HAVE NOT signed Booger McFarland and have no plans to sign him after he barely passed their physical. Stay tuned for more confirmation on this story.

:clap:
Sweet!!! don't the Colts run a 4-3? Like the bald tire analogy by the way :yellowthumb:

GoBenGo
03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
The Steelers also announced that center Justin Hartwig finally signed his contract, one week after he agreed to a two-year, $3,725,000 with the team as a free agent from Carolina. ...hopefully this means no more Sean "swinging gate" Mahan...amf

Prosdo
03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I think Sean Mahan is pretty much going to be a backup now. Hartwig should easily overtake him.

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Our D-line is getting old and needs some youth infusion like a Merling or a Langford, not an old retread like Booger McFarland. I will be happy if the Steelers took a pass on the "Booger". :crossfingers:

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
scout.com is reporting McFarland never signed. steelers.com shows nothing. Tribune-Review is reporting that McFarland never signed.

TampaSteelGirl
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Stupid question....whats a long snapper? :scratch: Sorry

V_83
03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Stupid question....whats a long snapper? :scratch: Sorry

The person that snaps the ball in the punt or PAT formations.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I think Sean Mahan is pretty much going to be a backup now. Hartwig should easily overtake him.

Yeah Hartwig should easily win the starting Center job and Mahan will be the main backup at Guard/Center for 2008.

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
scout.com is reporting McFarland never signed. steelers.com shows nothing. Tribune-Review is reporting that McFarland never signed.
I was thinking the same thing and I'm sure it would be pending upon if he can pass a physical or not........:yesnod:

K Train
03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
The Steelers agreed to terms with DT Anthony McFarland, formerly of the Colts. It's a little surprising Booger passed a physical considering he's coming off a torn patellar tendon and isn't expected to be ready for Week 1. McFarland has very little experience in a 3-4, but could help in a rotation at defensive end. He isn't a threat to Brett Keisel or Aaron Smith's starting jobs.

:dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
So now he did sign.. :wtf: which is it ?

TEEMONT
03-26-2008, 05:14 PM

saw the same thing...who reported he signed?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
saw the same thing...who reported he signed?

Post Gazette shows an article stating he agreed to a deal but no terms were disclosed...

Black@Gold Forever32
03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
God I hope they didn't sign McFarland......He is 30 and out of shape....He also never played in a 3-4.....

K Train
03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
he wouldnt play very much and hes better than eason for a late in the year option in the rotation

Black@Gold Forever32
03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
he wouldnt play very much and hes better than eason for a late in the year option in the rotation

Is that really saying much that he is better then Nick Eason.....:lol: McFarland is going to play DE in a 3-4?.....He has never played in a 3-4....If he plays NT...Well Hampton and Hoke would be ahead of him on the depth chart....I don't know I say pass....

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
he's still a waste of Cap space:yesnod:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed this move is for a back up end. he doesnt have to be a probowler... just a capable body to spell Smith and Diesel. If the numbers are right i have zero problem with this move!!

K Train
03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
no...polamalu is a waste of cap space, this guy is dirt cheap and another body on the defensive line.

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
no...polamalu is a waste of cap space, this guy is dirt cheap and another body on the defensive line.
And you know this how K?

K Train
03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
im very wise.

he'd come in as a 3rd or 4th string dlineman.....and he would get paid like a 3rd or 4th string dlineman..then we can say goodbye to eason

Captcoolhand
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
im very wise.

he'd come in as a 3rd or 4th string dlineman.....and he would get paid like a 3rd or 4th string dlineman..then we can say goodbye to eason
Either way, If we signed him it's going to be to much. His knee will never be the same.:2cents:

K Train
03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
which is why he'd be a backup :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Yahoo Sports is also reporting that they signed him :dunno:

yinzer
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
:dunno:

then why bother?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
then why bother?

for depth, that's what this team needs on the DL right now. We don't need starters, they are happy with the front 3 but they have nothing behind them that scares anybody other than Hoke. If McFarland were to come at a very good price and could play in a jumbo package on the DL using 4 DL for example he could work out ok. At this point we still don't even know for sure if he's even been signed. One would think they'd go after a DE for depth; unless they think McFarland could play DE in the 34?

BlackGold4vr
03-26-2008, 08:29 PM
What is the local area sportsnews saying about this McFarland signing? By now you would have thought a reliable source would have nailed this one down. :scratch:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

for depth, that's what this team needs on the DL right now. We don't need starters, they are happy with the front 3 but they have nothing behind them that scares anybody other than Hoke. If McFarland were to come at a very good price and could play in a jumbo package on the DL using 4 DL for example he could work out ok. At this point we still don't even know for sure if he's even been signed. One would think they'd go after a DE for depth; unless they think McFarland could play DE in the 34?

They might be happy with Smith and Hampton but I have a hard time believing that they are 100% sold on Kiesel. They must be watching different games than I did. Kiesel is a situational player and special teams player at best. Expecting anything more is not being realistic. I was really hoping that a Merling or Langford could fight Kiesel for that spot in camp this year.

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Mahan will move to Guard more thasn likely. Starting that is.

yinzer
03-26-2008, 09:15 PM

i agree with ya, Top. but do you think booger is the answer even for the short term? i guess if we can't get any better then he will have to suffice... :evilshake:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

What is the local area sportsnews saying about this McFarland signing? By now you would have thought a reliable source would have nailed this one down. :scratch:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

They might be happy with Smith and Hampton but I have a hard time believing that they are 100% sold on Kiesel. They must be watching different games than I did. Kiesel is a situational player and special teams player at best. Expecting anything more is not being realistic. I was really hoping that a Merling or Langford could fight Kiesel for that spot in camp this year.

Kiesel produced squat last season. he's not getting any younger either. but again, i don't think booger is the answer even if it is temporary. that's a HUGE slot to fill.

Stlrs4Life
03-27-2008, 12:31 AM
The Colts Fans seem to like him:

http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=30014

K Train
03-27-2008, 12:56 AM
The Steelers appeared set to sign free-agent defensive lineman Anthony McFarland on Tuesday night. But after working him out Wednesday morning, they withdrew their offer. A Steelers spokesman said late Wednesday afternoon that no deal has been struck with McFarland. Apparently, McFarland flunked his physical. A 10-year veteran with 85 career starts, McFarland missed last season with a knee injury. McFarland played for Tampa Bay and Indianapolis.

there goes that lol

TEEMONT
03-27-2008, 01:14 AM
How is your **** so ****ed up that you fail an NFL physical? lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Well there goes that, the dude is done in the NFL..if he failed the physical for 2 teams like the Colts and Steelers then his only chance is to go down and sign with Browns...they're always happy to get Steelers castoffs :lol:

Captcoolhand
03-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I figured this would happen.....It's hard to pass a physical that soon after already failing 1.:yesnod:
Who knows this may been for the better IMO. Now we can look at different avenues and try to make something else happen. I have notice that Tomlin is much like other HC's in the NFL...he looks for players that play or has played for his former teams.:2cents:

BlackGold4vr
03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Looks like Jim Wexell at scout.com is once again a reliable source of inside information. Yesterday, he called "no deal" when everybody else was calling it a "done deal". :yellowthumb:

steelcurtain09
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
How is your shiat so ****ed up that you fail an NFL physical? lol
hes still rehabbing from a torn patellar (sp?) tendon. would u expect him to pass a physical?

TampaSteelGirl
03-27-2008, 01:13 PM
The person that snaps the ball in the punt or PAT formations.

Oh ok, thank you!

stillers4me
03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Well there goes that, the dude is done in the NFL..if he failed the physical for 2 teams like the Colts and Steelers then his only chance is to go down and sign with Browns...they're always happy to get Steelers castoffs :lol:

He should call Whiz.

GoBenGo
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
we picked a booger:hilarious:

steelmann58
03-30-2008, 11:33 PM
we get eason back instead