PDA

View Full Version : Will we draft a Wide Receiver?

BlackGold4vr
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Now that we have cut Cedric Wilson it almost makes drafting another wideout a necessity. After Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes we are pretty thin at the position. Nate Washington is coming along but is still not consistent. Willie Reid will be lucky to make the team since he was drafted to be our kick returner and has failed miserably to hold onto it. Dallas Baker is another project who spent most of last year on the practice squad. Could there be a day 1 wide out taken? :yesnod:

K Train
03-20-2008, 11:37 AM
its very possible...i like me some dexter jackson. but theres alot of 3rd and 4th round guys out there too...bowman, hawkins just to name a few

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I also heard rumors that Devin Thomas' stock might be slipping and he could fall to the 2nd round but it would be an early round pick and we'd have to trade up to get him. He doesn't have that much experience but seems to have a good upside from what I've heard. If he doesn't fall then there's also Manningham, Hardy and Doucet that might fall to us or we could move up in the 2nd to snag one depending on how high of a priority they want to put on this position this year.

I don't know that we'd take on this early but atleast in the 3rd wouldn't surprise me one bit. Unless we get a FA the WR position has suddenly become a bit of a need.

K Train
03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
there are so many WRs with first round talent....but WR is not a great first round position to be in.

Kelly
Jackson
Thomas
Sweed
Hardy
Manningham
Doucet

at least half of them are gonna be there in round 2....along with dexter jackson, lavelle hawkins (who is better than desean jackson) and several other guys....lots of oline and WRs in the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
yeah I hadn't realized how deep this draft is on day with WR's till I really started looking at it. There doesn't seem at this point that there will be a huge run on them in round 1 so we should have a nice selection in rounds 2 or 3 if things shake out correctly. If you can't help your OL and WR in this draft then there is something seriously wrong..LOL

steelcityrockers
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
I really like Bowman. He is not very fast and he will drop to like the 4th-5th round. Also like Dexter ackson and Pierre Garcon (big time sleeper from Mount Union.) Lance Leggett (from Florida or Miami, can't remember) has had some good work outs.

K Train
03-20-2008, 03:34 PM
bowman will be thats kind of WR/TE tweener, he wont kill you with speed but hes an animal.

Jackson is just a badass plain and simple

Black@Gold Forever32
03-20-2008, 03:42 PM
WR was a need before Wilson being a cut.........Ward is still very good but I would like to inject some more youth in this core...Holmes is young and is badass...Nate I still have high hopes for and he had a solid season.....I think Nate will be a solid NFL WR.....But after that its real thin.....I with Ktrain in thinking Hawkins is better then his fellow Cal WR Jackson.....I wouldn't mind Hawkins at all....I think Bowman is solid also....

I would like James Hardy but we can't take him in the first...Unless he is the best option at that point which I don't think he will be....Williams, Albert and Groves are all players I would take over Hardy at 23.....One of those three will be there at 23....I doubt Hardy falls to us in the 2nd and oh well....Great value through out this draft at WR.....

K Train
03-20-2008, 03:46 PM
i think i would really like doucet too.

and what do you guys think about arrington? i always though him and manningham were kind of the exact same player playing across from each other but hes ranked really low

MDSteel15
03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
i think i would really like doucet too.

and what do you guys think about arrington? i always though him and manningham were kind of the exact same player playing across from each other but hes ranked really low

Suposedly he has off the field issues that knocked him down...

Captcoolhand
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers sign ex-Spartan Matt Trannon

The Steelers on also added Matt Trannon, a 6-foot-6 receiver who starred at Michigan State but was not drafted last year. He signed with the Arizona Cardinals but did not make the season-opening roster. He later spent time with the Cardinals, Chiefs and Raiders as a practice squad player.What's the deal with this guy? Is he just another crash test dummy for training camp?

K Train
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
he will get eaten alive

steelcityrockers
03-20-2008, 10:18 PM
He is absolutely terrible.

MOTORKRAFT
04-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I want Mario Uritta out of Louisville in round 6 or 7. There is a reason why Brian Brohm would have went earlier last year. Mr. Uritta was hurt this year. Mr Brohm payed for it. If Dallas Baker can do anything this year and Mario makes the team. 2 years from now teams will have so many match up problems with this offense it would be amazing.

steelcityrockers
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Nope. If you want a Louisville receiver try Harry Douglas.

MDSteel15
04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Mario Uruttia, Adrain Arrington and Adarius Bowman would all be nice additions late or via free agency. I like all 3 of these guys....

MOTORKRAFT
04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't follow college football alot. Most of my draft knowledge comes from this and other websites. They say Harry Douglas is 3rd. to 4th. round. They say Mario Uritta is 6th to 7th round. I'd rather take a W.R. in the 6th or 7th than the 3rd or 4th. I accidently watched some Louisville games 2 years ago and Uritta was impressive.

K Train
04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
the thing is....the reason most WRs last til the 6th or 7th is because they are failures....we need contributors with every pick...not projects

Brady Quinn
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
You need a receiver and you need him early or you will be getting a project

Steelers7fan
04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't want Manningham Period. I heard him on Sirius NFL Radio with Adam Schein and he was horrible. This guy is not a Steeler. He's more trouble than he's worth. Trust me we need better Character guys than him.
If I had my choice I'd take Thomas or Hardy.

Steelerlyn
04-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I agree we need a fast, young WR but first we need to address the OL. There are a ton of talented players out there, hopefully, there will be plenty of talent to cover both areas for us.

K Train
04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
the oline has become a very overrated issue imo, its an issue without question but weve blown it up quite a bit

Black@Gold Forever32
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't think OL is over blown at all...Its just after Long, Clady, Williams and Albert there isn't an OL I would take in the first round...plus the Steelers have a ton of OL under contract....Looks like there are happy to give the guys on the roster another chance...But mock my words the OL will be just as bad and Ben will take a beating once again...lol

Smith is the best OT on the team and he battled injuries last year...Still needs to move to RT but will be LT due to the fact he is the best OT on the team by default....

Starks has been very inconsistent in his career and really Willie Colon didn't prove to be that much better then Starks at RT last year....Colon gave up a ton of sacks last year...He should move to OG but I don't expect that now....

Then at OG you have Kendall Simmons who was average at best last year and the still unproven Chris Kemoeatu.....I think the center spot did get better with the signing of Hartwig.....He can't be as bad as Mahan was last year...lol Hopefully if the center spot is stable with Hartwig then it will trickle down make the rest of the OL better...Thats my hope at least...

TEEMONT
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
What's the deal with this guy? Is he just another crash test dummy for training camp?

Dude is from MSU, that should tell you all you need to know.