PDA

View Full Version : Draft Trade Rumor

K Train
03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I was reading on another board and apparently theres some whispers of us trading our 1st and 3rd round picks for the texans 18th overall.

If we did that i would think we would almost have to be targeting chris williams

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Did they say where the whispers are coming from at all? Several of the mocks I've seen show Williams and Clady going in the top 15 if not the top 17 so if they are thinking along those lines it's a risk because if he's gone they consider trading back down closer to their original spot to get Albert.

K Train
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
it probably wouldnt happen until the 18th pick comes up...but houston would be a great option to have there as leverage with that pick because they would be almost certainly looking at a tackle prospect, and if they go into draft day interested in moving back 5 spots and picking up an extra 3rd rounder that would work out great for us.

and the source was out of houston

Iron City South
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I also heard the Easter Bunny is giving out crack this year in lieu of chocolate. :eyecrazy:

Giving up our 1st and 3rd for the 18th overall pick would be the dumbest possible thing I ever heard of knowing we should be in the business of trying to accumulate picks rather than giving them up.

TEEMONT
03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
While I don't see this happening, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of trade on draft day. We have addressed quite a few needs through FA, and we can afford to give up a draft pick, especially with out recent track record of drafting 3rd rounders.

I don't see any glaring holes on this team right other than OT OG and some DL.

Ambridge
03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I also heard the Easter Bunny is giving out crack this year in lieu of chocolate. :eyecrazy:

Giving up our 1st and 3rd for the 18th overall pick would be the dumbest possible thing I ever heard of knowing we should be in the business of trying to accumulate picks rather than giving them up.

Thank You!!

Giving up the 1st and the 3rd just to move up five spots in the draft would be one of the most monumental draft blunders in NFL history.

V_83
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM

I also think that trading up for this pick would hurt us more than help us. Especially since we only have 6 picks already.

K Train
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Thank You!!

Giving up the 1st and the 3rd just to move up five spots in the draft would be one of the most monumental draft blunders in NFL history.

one of the greatest draft blunders in history???

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/K-Train89/duncegizz.gif

TEEMONT
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank You!!

the only thing your "giving up" is a 3rd rounder. Think about it.

K Train
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
id rather have one quality lineman over 4 late round waste of spaces

BlackGold4vr
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
the only thing your "giving up" is a 3rd rounder. Think about it.

I don't like the idea. A 3rd rounder is a player in the top 100 picks. In our case it would be the 85th overall pick in round 3. You stand to pick up a pretty good player with that pick. If it was switch positions in the first and give up a 5th or a 6th round pick it would be a lot more palatable. A 3rd rounder is too high of a price. I would rather go the other way and pick up more picks from somebody else to be honest.

Let's say it is Houston that we made that deal with. They would be getting 4 players in the top 85 players coming out of college, while we got only 2.

Steelers would have picks 18 and 54

Texans would have picks 23 - 49 - 80 - 85

We aren't that great of a team that we don't need the picks. Our special teams sucked last year and those are your back-up position players. Please don't tell me that we can't do any better than that with some fresh blood! :evilshake:

K Train
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
it doesnt matter.....what if those 2 are all stars? if we know who we want we need to get him and thats that

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Our history of day 2 draftees is not anything to write home about. If they honestly want Williams or whoever it is and they are will to give up a 3rd rounder to get him then they better come up huge on day2 this year.

Iron City South
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
If we do anything regarding trading pics, I see us trading out our 1st or 2nd round pick to secure additional pics in later rounds.

Personally, I think we sit tight and take what's given to us at the time of our pick.

black an gold 4 life
03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
If we do anything regarding trading pics, I see us trading out our 1st or 2nd round pick to secure additional pics in later rounds.

Personally, I think we sit tight and take what's given to us at the time of our pick.

yea i'm with u on this one because this draft is rich n what we need most, stay were we at an get atleast 4 good picks out of 6

TEEMONT
03-20-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm pretty sure our fist two picks won't go anywhere unless we use the 1st Rd in a package deal to move up in the 1st round. We need 1st and 2nd Rd talent for the line, not 3rd and 4th Rd.

Although with us cutting Ced, the idea of trading away a pick just got a whole lot less likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3rd Rd pick go towards a WR.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure our fist two picks won't go anywhere unless we use the 1st Rd in a package deal to move up in the 1st round. We need 1st and 2nd Rd talent for the line, not 3rd and 4th Rd.

Although with us cutting Ced, the idea of trading away a pick just got a whole lot less likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3rd Rd pick go towards a WR.

Yeah I was thinking about that too, with Wilson gone our only viable WR's with any experience are Ward, Holmes, and Washington. Depending on who we take in the 1st round and who they feel is available in the 3rd they might even try and move up in the 2nd to take a WR.

K Train
03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
either way...we are a better team now

Brady Quinn
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
If you can get an instant OL starter go for it.

K Train
03-20-2008, 12:01 PM
exactly

steelcitysfinestXL
03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
it probably wouldnt happen until the 18th pick comes up...but houston would be a great option to have there as leverage with that pick because they would be almost certainly looking at a tackle prospect, and if they go into draft day interested in moving back 5 spots and picking up an extra 3rd rounder that would work out great for us.

and the source was out of houston

Just when i think you cant be any dumber, you go ahead and say something like this... AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!!! LOL, im just playin... as usual i agree with u, this would be a money deal for us if Williams or Clady was available!!! But like you, think/hope we'd wait til Houston was on the clock and the player we wanted was still on the board!!!!

I think we were gonna go after a C in the third, thats not a 3rd round worthy concern after picking up Hartwig. We are gonna need a WR now (i still have a semi-chub knowing Wilson was released in such an embarassing fashion) and i think we can get that in the 4th or day two.

Getting Williams would allow us to some serious dealing with a few linemen we have on the roster, not to mention give us an instant contributor at left or right tackle!!!!

Stlrs4Life
03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
No way do I give that up just to move up 5 spots.

Steelers7fan
04-19-2008, 09:55 AM
You can't give away picks when you only have six and you need help at various positions.
The Steeler way is pick the best player available at the different positions in need. This is why I would not be shocked if we went DE,DT,WR,RB in the first round.

steelcityrockers
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I would do it if Williams/Albert/Otah/Clady were still on the board.

MOTORKRAFT
04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I would never give up a 3rd round draft choice to move up in the first. The draft has thought me one thing. College studs can turn into pro duds. In the 04 draft we took Big Ben in the first and Max Starks in the third. That year the Chargers took Philip Rivers. I sure am glad we didn't trade up that year. Other 3rd. round picks include Mel Blount, Mike Merriweather, Carnell Lake, Neil O'Donnell, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, Chris Hope, Ike Taylor, Matt Spaeth. And others. Alot of people I never heard of also. I would rather have 2 chances at success, than 1 chance at a bust.

steelcityrockers
04-19-2008, 09:37 PM
The draft is so much of a crapshoot that I don't think it matters a whole hell of a lot.

portcityblackandgold
04-20-2008, 06:05 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: now that was funny iron city

:steelersrule:

ejsteeler
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
The draft is so much of a crapshoot that I don't think it matters a whole hell of a lot.

So true. All the speculation is good for entertainment only. You can't possibly know what you are getting until after the fact. However, I do not think we should trade up at this point. We need bodies, plural, so we need picks, plural and so we should play the odds and keep more picks.