PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Hartwig!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 06:33 PM
A year after signing center Sean Mahan as a free agent in the hopes that he would fill the void created by the retirement of Jeff Hartings, the Pittsburgh Steelers have added via free agency another new center, who might bump Mahan out of the position.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Steelers have agreed to terms with former Panthers center Justin Hartwig. Per Schefter, it’s a two-year deal worth roughly $4 million, with a $975,000 signing bonus.

Is Hartwig supplants Mahan, the former Bucs could possibly slide to guard.

Such instability at the center position is a dramatic change for the Steelers, who had only three starters at the position (Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, and Hartings) for more than 30 years.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

If its true he can't be worse then Mahan...lol

Koopa
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
well if it's true, we don't have to worry about drafting a center on day 2, he will for sure be the starter because mahan is a bum and won't compete much

K Train
03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300560

i just busted a nut

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
well if it's true, we don't have to worry about drafting a center on day 2, he will for sure be the starter because mahan is a bum and won't compete much

I agree Koopa...No need for a center this year which is good since this is a very weak center class......Plus he is an upgrade over Mahan.....hopefully...I think he is but you never know....:lol: But I like the move if it is true...lol

Stlrs4Life
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Glad you posted the ESPN link K, didn't want to believe the PFT link. Well, it is a step in the right direction, and Essex and Keometeau (sp?) signed 1 year tender offers today also. I still want some OL in the draft.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 06:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300560

i just busted a nut

:lol:....

K Train
03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
omg im so excited lol

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey all I know **** the notion the Steelers are quite in free agency...The Rooney's have resigned Ben long term which in its own right was a huge move....

Plus Moore, Fox and Hartwig all fill needs on this team....Yes these are not super star signings....But I'm just glad the Steelers at least addressed some issues on this team....Here is to a great draft......Keep it up Steelers......

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
If he is fully recovered form a bad groin injury he suffered in 2006, then I got no problems. He was playing hurt last year, at least this gives us more options in the draft.

Koopa
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
lol, look who negotiated his contract, Drew Rosenhaus is the greatest agent ever lol

K Train
03-18-2008, 07:15 PM
the rooneys like rosenhaus....i do too, everyone just bitches about him cause hes got a few high priced diva clients

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
the rooneys like rosenhaus....i do too, everyone just bitches about him cause hes got a few high priced diva clients

I think maybe Rosenhaus just respects the Rooney's and knows he can't pull any BS antics with them since they won't give in anyway.....:lol: The Rooney's stick to their plan/way.....So they don't care if you're Alan Faneca or Drew Rosenhaus.....:lol:

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I think maybe Rosenhaus just respects the Rooney's and knows he can't pull any BS antics with them since they won't give in anyway....
:yellowthumb: Thats it right there....The Rooney's are the Godfather's of the NFL.:helmet:

Stairwayto7
03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
If he is fully recovered form a bad groin injury he suffered in 2006, then I got no problems. He was playing hurt last year, at least this gives us more options in the draft.

I agree, now we can focus on other positions in the draft and address center next season!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
omg im so excited lol

WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot:

This is great !! Now we can concentrate on Tackle in the draft on the OL. This is great, I didn't think we were realistically going to sign him but the Rooney's came through. :tt02:

Stairwayto7
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree TG. It s not the most exciting thing that could happen. But fits are need!

yinzer
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
this is great!!! goodbye gayhan and good ridance!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe Tomlin was checking out SA and saw all of us screaming to address the Center position on this team :lol: Really though Im just glad the team stepped up and made a change that will allow us to have some competition at Center with a real, viable candidate who can step up and hopefully take charge of the position. This will really solidify things for us on the OL if he works out like we hope.

MDSteel15
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree with everybody, but can we at least pick up maybe a RFA center at the end of the draft to maybe have some insurance??? Never know, Legursky may fall to FA status....

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Good move. I wonder if Mahan is looking for a ticket out of town now .

BlackGold4vr
03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
#75 Justin Hartwig | C »

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/mugs/65x90/3749.jpg

Full Name: Justin James Hartwig
Born: November 21, 1978
Mankato, MN
Height: 6-4
Weight: 312 lbs. Age: 29
Pos: C
Experience: 6 years
College: Kansas
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:6 Pick:15, Titans

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 65 | Key
Alert: I

Comment: Hartwig is strong, versatile and fairly athletic. He plays big and could fill in at guard. He has good initial quickness and understands body position and angles. He is smart, instinctive and efficient. He can handle the calls and adjustments on the line. He is a solid technician who can get position and wall off. He stays balanced and in control when slipping off combo blocks to get to the second level. He can short pull, then locate and hit moving targets. He can slide and mirror off short pass sets. He has strong, active hands. He plays with awareness and reacts well to zone dogs and stunts. But Hartwig is tall for a center and doesn't play with ideal leverage. He isn't very explosive and fares best using angles instead of drive blocks. He sometimes struggles to maintain pocket depth against bull rushers. He had been durable before spending most of 2006 on injured reserve (groin).

When you have a guy who has been nicknamed "Turnstile" there is no place to go but up! :lol:

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Mahan is not going anywhere, this year anyways, unless we trade him. Can't cut him, it would cost us to much money.

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Comment: Hartwig is strong, versatile and fairly athletic. He plays big and could fill in at guard. He has good initial quickness and understands body position and angles. He is smart, instinctive and efficient. He can handle the calls and adjustments on the line. He is a solid technician who can get position and wall off. He stays balanced and in control when slipping off combo blocks to get to the second level. He can short pull, then locate and hit moving targets. He can slide and mirror off short pass sets. He has strong, active hands. He plays with awareness and reacts well to zone dogs and stunts. But Hartwig is tall for a center and doesn't play with ideal leverage. He isn't very explosive and fares best using angles instead of drive blocks. He sometimes struggles to maintain pocket depth against bull rushers. He had been durable before spending most of 2006 on injured reserve (groin)
He does give us versatility at being able to play 3 different spots on the line. With Hartwig, he can show Stapleton how to play C, while Mahan can show Stapleton how not to play C. :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
He does give us versatility at being able to play 3 different spots on the line. With Hartwig, he can show Stapleton how to play C, while Mahan can show Stapleton how not to play C. :greengrin:

Mahan can fetch the coaches gatoraide and launder the jock straps between practices and games.

:haha:

Captcoolhand
03-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Mahan is not going anywhere, this year anyways, unless we trade him. Can't cut him, it would cost us to much money.
exactly, and this guy hasn't proved to be any better.:stirpot:

K Train
03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
hes better by default

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 10:03 PM
exactly, and this guy hasn't proved to be any better.:stirpot:
True dat.....he had a serious groin injury in 2006, serious enough to remove muscle. Last season he suffered a knee injury, I haven't found out how serious it was but there was high hope for him going into Carolina, but he's been injured most of the time.

Captcoolhand
03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
well it will be proven in camp but i still think we will draft someone:2cents:

Koopa
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
well it will be proven in camp but i still think we will draft someone:2cents:

but there isn't really anyone that spectacular in the draft that could play center, maybe some projects, but i rather have an nfl veteran this year until next year when there is probably better options at center in that draft

plus, regardless of what injuries he's had, he's already 32342756914561947856147569134785613945861948756194 78561984756129847561847561247865147856147835612347 568134275619475 times better then mahan

and it's not like we are breaking the bank on him, seems like a low risk signing

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
This was a way for this team to address the Center position with a guy who's proven he can play in the league. The Panthers released him for cap purposes, he's a good Center and hopefully he does well for us. Unlike Mahan was released from the Bucs and somewhat forced to play Center for us. He even said during camp he was mainly a Guard but he would play Center if he had too so he could get on the field. There's no 1st round Center prospects and even a 2nd round Center is a bit of a reach so I think they feel this signing is equal to anything they could have gotten on day 1 plus Hartwig is still on the young side of his career.

portcityblackandgold
03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I saw Mahan whiff on too many assignments to even believe he would make a decent guard. His heart is in question..

Captcoolhand
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
but there isn't really anyone that spectacular in the draft that could play center, maybe some projects, but i rather have an nfl veteran this year until next year when there is probably better options at center in that draft

plus, regardless of what injuries he's had, he's already 32342756914561947856147569134785613945861948756194 78561984756129847561847561247865147856147835612347 568134275619475 times better then mahan

and it's not like we are breaking the bank on him, seems like a low risk signing
you got a point... I can't argue that:scratch:

K Train
03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I saw Mahan whiff on too many assignments to even believe he would make a decent guard. His heart is in question..

its not a heart or passion thing, its a skill and ability thing....hes not physically capable and hes probably to ****ing stupid...hes a piece of **** and i hate him being on this team, at least tomlin is admitting his **** up which cowher would never do. the only thing i would question about his heart is whether to feed it to the vultures or pack it full of firecrackers

steelcitysfinestXL
03-18-2008, 11:17 PM
its not a heart or passion thing, its a skill and ability thing....hes not physically capable and hes probably to ****ing stupid...hes a piece of shiat and i hate him being on this team, at least tomlin is admitting his **** up which cowher would never do. the only thing i would question about his heart is whether to feed it to the vultures or pack it full of firecrackers

HAHAHAHA, really i played o line y entire football career. Sean Mahan missed assignments.... PERIOD!!! Weather he's stupid or just didnt have enough time to learn this O, he blocked the wrong man, doubled to let a free man by or just plain whiffed on his blocks every game!!!! Hartwig WILL BE AN IMPROVEMENT!!!! Ill gaurantee( spell check) it!!!

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I like this signing, how can you not like this signing?

As far as Mahan goes, he was always a back-up, a high-priced terribly signed back-up. He will back up G and C this year.

Our line just got a whole lot better:

LT: Draft Pick
LG Draft Pick/ Kemuatu (sp?)
C: Hartwig
RG: Colon (he better step the **** up this year)
RT: M. Smith (I have a feeling we take the trans tag off of Starks, with the resigning of Essex)

K Train
03-18-2008, 11:25 PM
no way...steelers called starks right, he almost wont have a choice but to sign a normal deal now....we wont have 2 rookies starting, probably albert, but starks and smith will be our tackles...they might switch spots though...

Prosdo
03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Damn! I'm excited. I was getting a little anxious because the Steelers were not addressing their biggest need, but here we go. I love this signing. Great job by the FO to get us a new center and protect Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Some more info on the deal..

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the second time in little more than a year, the Steelers signed a free agent they expect to become their starting center, one of three moves made yesterday to strengthen their offensive line.

Justin Hartwig, released last week by Carolina even though he was their starting center, came to a two-year contract agreement with the Steelers for $3,725,000 and a signing bonus of $975,000.

Justin Hartwig
Position: Center
College: Kansas
Drafted: 6th round of the 2002 draft by the Tennessee Titans.
Years pro: 6

Last year, the Steelers signed Sean Mahan from Tampa Bay for $17 million over five years with a $4 million signing bonus to become their starting center. However, they were not satisfied with Mahan's performance in 2007 and went looking for a replacement.

Mahan, like Hartwig, also can play guard. He and Hartwig will compete at center, but Mahan likely will become the swing man as a backup at guard and center. Chris Kemoeatu is the heir apparent to Alan Faneca as the starting left guard but it's possible Mahan also could compete for that job.

The Steelers yesterday announced that Kemoeatu and offensive tackle Trai Essex had signed one-year contract tenders as free agents.

The club did not announce the signing of Hartwig.

The Panthers released Hartwig, 29, in a shakeup of veterans in their offensive line. Carolina also released starting left guard Mike Wahle.

Two years ago, Hartwig signed a five-year, $17 million contract with Carolina as an unrestricted free agent from the Tennessee Titans.

"We had decided to go in another direction at center and Justin would have been able to come in and compete for the starting spot at right guard," Carolina general manager Marty Hurney said March 11 after releasing Hartwig.

"But we decided probably the right thing to do for Justin was make this move now and see if he can get with a team that would consider him as a starter at center."

Hartwig (6-4, 312) missed all but one game of the 2006 season with a groin injury. He missed the last game of last season in Carolina after his right MCL in his knee was sprained Dec. 24.

Hartwig played at the University of Kansas, where he started three seasons at right tackle and was a sixth-round draft choice of the Titans in 2002.

He became their starting center in '03 and started every game but one for them over the next three seasons before leaving for Carolina as an unrestricted free agent.

Hartwig will become part of a shakeup in the Steelers offensive line for the second year in a row, only in a different manner than existed for him with the Panthers.

It appears now that the offensive line could have two and perhaps three new starters next season.

Last season, the Steelers had two new starters in the line.

Faneca left as a free agent to sign with the New York Jets, and now they have a new center in Hartwig. If they keep their transition player, Max Starks, he will get an opportunity to compete for the job he lost to Willie Colon at right tackle last season.

Mahan, who played for the Buccaneers when Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was Tampa Bay's secondary coach, replaced retired Pro Bowl center Jeff Hartings last season. He started every game after a training-camp competition with holdover Chukky Okobi, who was released.

However, Mahan did not have the bulk at 6-3, 301 to handle some of the bigger nose tackles he faced, and he lost weight as the season wore down. At less than 300 pounds, he went up against some nose tackles who outweighed him by almost 100 pounds.

Strengthening their offensive line was a stated goal of Tomlin this year. While the Steelers were the No. 3 rushing team in the NFL, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times, second most by a quarterback in team history.

"We have to play better," Tomlin said about his offensive line after the 2007 season. "We have to get better technicians. We have to communicate better. We have to coach better."

Blitzburghpete
03-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I like this singng a lot but like someone said on the thread i still think the steelers first two picks in the draft need to be Guard and then Tackle.

Our best guard for this year played tackle last ( colon ) and Keau Reeves whatever his name is is not gonna be making the HOF any time soon. Back up these two with "saloon door Mahan" and we got a hole to fix!

Hate to say it but i like the way the Jets have got their line together

B'Ferguson, Faneca, that centre and couple others, i'd trade for that line. LOL

JensK
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Interresting signing indeed. Good way to fix our biggest need right now. I don't see it as a permanent solution, so hopefully we'll draft a center no matter what. And who knows.. Mahan may start to performe when shown some real competition.

ARKIESTEEL
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it is a step in the right direction:yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I think one person we are all forgetting about is Simmons. I haven't heard his name mentioned at all in this thread. Didn't we sign him to a long term deal too, like last year? He will start for at least the next two years, maybe a rookie, Colon, and Kemoatu fight for the other spot.

I wouldn't put it past Tomlin starting two rookies, he the sooner he gets his future line together, the sooner they gel up and protect the $102 investment.

GoBenGo
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
thank god...so much for the wasted year on mahan...i like this signing ....like it alot...i would love to see him step in and improve the line from day one...:yellowthumb:

black an gold 4 life
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
now we can focus on defense, move that bum mahan 2 guard an with the signings of tre essex an kemo we should b ok on the o-line we should put maxs at right tackle an colon at right guard,with smith taking care of ben's blind side, the o-line should b alright now, i hope we secure some defensive help we need back ups at every position except line backer

steelcitysfinestXL
03-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I wonder if they are going to want to pay Mahan his near $20mil to be a back-up for years to come!!?!?!? I would love to see his monkey-*** dealt away!!!

BlackGold4vr
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I wonder if they are going to want to pay Mahan his near $20mil to be a back-up for years to come!!?!?!? I would love to see his monkey-*** dealt away!!!

The problem would be finding any takers for the price we are paying. We bought the luxury edition and showed the rest of the league that the only amenity was 4 bald tires and a bad engine. Any takers? :lol:

K Train
03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
they will almost certainly make him restructure his deal, whether we hear about it or not....it will happen after this year

BlitzburghNation
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
thank god...so much for the wasted year on mahan...i like this signing ....like it alot...i would love to see him step in and improve the line from day one...:yellowthumb:

:ditto:
Got excited & pumped my fist,,,,when I heard this in my rig on sirius :greengrin:

HUNT4SEVEN
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
dito, what a waste of 17 million, based on his preformance, he should give the steelers back there money

Captcoolhand
03-20-2008, 04:20 PM
dito, what a waste of 17 million, based on his preformance, he should give the steelers back there money
With any luck maybe he will play better in different position.....

K Train
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
dont count on it

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
they will almost certainly make him restructure his deal, whether we hear about it or not....it will happen after this year

oh no doubt he'll be redoing his deal to make it more cap friendly then it already is. He will be the prime backup to both Center and Guard so it's not as though he won't be an important piece of the puzzle on this team still but hopefully it won't ever be in the Center capacity anymore :crossfingers: . Stapleton hopefully wins the prime backup spot at Center because he can also play Guard from what I understand plus he comes at a cheap price. It should be an interesting training camp with the battles going on for positions on the line.

NOVA STEELERS
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/03/26/10/08_Hartwig_NewsConfrence_41_87897.jpg
A perfect opportunity for Hartwig
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Free agency is definitely about opportunity knocking and when it did for Justin Hartwig allowing him the chance to become a part of the Steelers offensive line, there was no doubt the veteran center was taking advantage of it.

“The Steelers gave me a great opportunity to come here and hopefully get on the field,” said Hartwig. “My job is to get on the field and play and help this team win. I thought this was the best opportunity for me.”

Hartwig was attracted to the team because of a number of things, but he couldn’t help like the success they have had throughout the years in the post-season.

“The Steelers are a first-class organization,” he said. “They are going to be in the playoffs every year just about. They are going to be right there in the thick of things. That’s what Coach (Mike) Tomlin stressed to me – that they are a championship organization and that is their goal every year. That was one of the biggest reasons why I am here.

“He told me they are straight shooters here, everybody comes to work and they work hard. They have great ownership. We know what our job is and that is to win games. We are a blue collar mentality. I grew up in the Mid-West and that is why I am where I am today, because of that mentality. I worked hard to get where I am.”

Hartwig officially signed with the team on Tuesday and immediately got to work participating in the offseason program. He is attacking it with a goal in mind – winning the starting center job.

Sean Mahan signed with the Steelers as a free agent from Tampa before the 2007 season and started at center last year, but Hartwig was told that he would be given a chance to compete for the position. It was a major draw for him.

“They told me it’s a competition,” said Hartwig. “That’s the way it is every year in the NFL. You are going to have to compete for your job. They told me they have Sean here and there is an opportunity to come in and compete with him and that is all I can ask for.

“I think there is an opportunity to start but that is what training camp is for. We’ll see what happens. That is my goal like it is everybody else on this team, to be a starter and be productive.”

Hartwig spent the last two seasons with the Carolina Panthers, starting 15 games last season but only one in 2006 after he was placed on injured reserve with a groin injury. The Panthers released Hartwig in early March, instead likely going with former second-round draft choice Ryan Kalil at center. Hartwig might have been able to remain with the Panthers if he switched to guard, but he wanted to remain at center.

“Playing guard isn’t anything I am against, but I have been starting in the league for five straight years playing center and I think that is my best opportunity to be on the field and it’s my best position,” said Hartwig. “They decided it was best to give me the opportunity to go elsewhere and play center.”

The Steelers have had a strong history at center, dating back to Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson and most recently Jeff Hartings. That isn’t something that is lost on Hartwig, who was actually told by a former Steelers player to use Dawson as an example of how to play the position when he first came in to the league with the Tennessee Titans.

“I had a chance to play with Neil O’Donnell for a few years in Tennessee and he just kept telling me ‘Justin, turn on a tape of Dermontti Dawson. Watch Dermontti Dawson and you will know everything you need to know,’” said Hartwig. “I am well aware of the history of centers here. I am aware of what kind of line the Steelers have had in the past and the tradition. They have always had one of the best lines in the league. It’s a good opportunity and a chance to be a part of something special.”

So aware that he shied away from taking number 64 when it was offered to him to wear because it’s the number Hartings wore. His other options were 66, but declined because of Alan Faneca’s legacy. He chose number 62, and hopes to live up to the expectations of those that wore that number before him, most notably Tunch Ilkin.

And the Steelers need him to step up big. Last season was a tough one for the offensive line as they allowed 47 sacks during the regular season.

"My biggest challenge right now is learning the offense and getting comfortable with it,” said Hartwig. “Once I get that confidence in what I am doing I plan on stepping up and being a vocal leader. Once I learn who the guys are and their personalities, going into my seventh year hopefully I can provide that leadership. That is also the job of the center – being a leader. You are the guy making most of the line calls. I think I can bring that to a table.”

:cope: :helmet: :tt02: Definate upgrade in the middle :2cents:

GoBenGo
03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
“He told me they are straight shooters here, everybody comes to work and they work hard. They have great ownership. We know what our job is and that is to win games. We are a blue collar mentality. I grew up in the Mid-West and that is why I am where I am today, because of that mentality. I worked hard to get where I am.”

Hartwig officially signed with the team on Tuesday and immediately got to work participating in the offseason program. He is attacking it with a goal in mind – winning the starting center job....:yellowthumb:..
That's what I'm talking about....fill a much needed void...I like this guy already:greenbounce2:

Sean Mahan signed with the Steelers as a free agent from Tampa before the 2007 season and started at center last year...
...amf !!

, but Hartwig was told that he would be given a chance to compete for the position. It was a major draw for him....naturally, he's seen tape of last year...knows there is blood in the water...he's has singled out the weak from the herd....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
It's not going to take much of a competition to beat out Mahan this summer. Hartwig should win that job pretty easily. He sounds like a perfect fit for the Steelers and somebody will respect the position and work hard. If he's watching tapes of Dawson then he's already on the right track.

BlackGold4vr
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
If he can fog a mirror, he can beat out Mahan aka "Turnstile". I think if Hartwig can anchor the center of that line we will see a vast improvement over last year regardless of who plays LG.

I love the Steelers FO moves thus far. Efficiently going about filling needs without breaking the bank. The idiots on NFL network the other day were all saying the Brownies will be taking over the AFC North. Because of all the off-season moves yada yada yada....the Browns are the most improved team in that division. I guess we will see about that. For you clown fans, just because your team goes on a drunken spending spree does not give you the keys to the division. Just ask Daniel Snyder of the Redskins how spending doesn't always guarantee you success. In the decade of 2000, we are 15-2 against the Browns. So in my mind until you take the division from the Steelers you will always have to feed from our table scraps. :yesnod:

DIESELMAN
03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
They told me they have Sean here and there is an opportunity to come in and compete with him and that is all I can ask for.
Like taking candy from a baby, I wonder how hard he was laughing on the inside when he said that.....:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
If he can fog a mirror, he can beat out Mahan aka "Turnstile". I think if Hartwig can anchor the center of that line we will see a vast improvement over last year regardless of who plays LG.

I love the Steelers FO moves thus far. Efficiently going about filling needs without breaking the bank. The idiots on NFL network the other day were all saying the Brownies will be taking over the AFC North. Because of all the off-season moves yada yada yada....the Browns are the most improved team in that division. I guess we will see about that. For you clown fans, just because your team goes on a drunken spending spree does not give you the keys to the division. Just ask Daniel Snyder of the Redskins how spending doesn't always guarantee you success. In the decade of 2000, we are 15-2 against the Browns. So in my mind until you take the division from the Steelers you will always have to feed from our table scraps. :yesnod:

These were the same idiots who said we'd finish 3rd or 4th in the division in 2005, 4th in 2006, and we'd finish 3rd behind Cincy and Balt last year. :evilshake:

black an gold 4 life
03-27-2008, 10:31 AM

:hilarious::bluelol::greengrin::lol: a drunken spending spree:hilarious: man i couldn't of said it better myself, at the end of the year the clowns fans will b doing this more an more:banging: an i'll b doing this in c-town all year:banana:

SteelersWoman
03-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Sean Mahan signed with the Steelers as a free agent from Tampa before the 2007 season and started at center last year, but Hartwig was told that he would be given a chance to compete for the position. It was a major draw for him.

“They told me it’s a competition,” said Hartwig. “That’s the way it is every year in the NFL. You are going to have to compete for your job. They told me they have Sean here and there is an opportunity to come in and compete with him and that is all I can ask for.

“I think there is an opportunity to start but that is what training camp is for. We’ll see what happens. That is my goal .....to be a starter and be productive.”

If he has seen ANY tape of last season, he already knows he's got the starting job--he's just being tactful :yellowthumb:

Stlrs4Life
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
It's not going to take much of a competition to beat out Mahan this summer. Hartwig should win that job pretty easily. He sounds like a perfect fit for the Steelers and somebody will respect the position and work hard. If he's watching tapes of Dawson then he's already on the right track.

No doubt a upgrade over Mahan. Definately like this guys attitude.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
If he has seen ANY tape of last season, he already knows he's got the starting job--he's just being tactful :yellowthumb:

Let's just hope his work ethic is as good as it appears to be from what we've heard now. Mahan was pretty much told the same thing last year and he barely beat out Okobi in camp so now it's up to Hartwig to get in there and anchor our line like we are accustomed to.

steelcityrockers
03-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I bet he gets injured this year

I hope Darnell Stapleton gets a fair chance as well.