PDA

View Full Version : Who is....

ARKIESTEEL
03-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Who is your all time favorite Steeler and why??

Mine is "the Bus". I was a huge fan of Jack Lambert for many years he was my all time favorite, but when Bus took the pay cuts to stay on the team and held the team together to win SB XL it sealed the deal for me.

My top five would be

1. Bus
2. Lambert
3. Greene
4. L C Greenwood
5. Iron Mike Webster

Lets hear yours

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
The one and only Jack Lambert. The ultimate warrior, he showed up for every play and played with his head, tenacity and the will to kill the guys with the ball. He put the "team" in teammates, never left a guy hanging out to dry, always had everybody's back. One of the best MLB's in NFL history!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Lambert hands down easy pick. The way he tossed that cowgirl player down after messing with Gerala on the FG attempt sealed the deal. He epitomized what it takes to be a STEELER !!

steelcitysfinestXL
03-18-2008, 10:31 AM
in not particular order

1. Jack Lambert
2. Greg Lloyd
3. Jame Farrior
4. Joe Green
5. Joey Porter

When picking favorite steelers, theres no room for Wr's or Rb's IMO... Just Four Bad-*** linebackers and a DT who revolutionized the position!!!!!

Fan Of STEEL
03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Past favorite STEELERS would be

Mike Webster - Biggest arms I ever saw - a true beast
Jack Lambert - Jack Splat - nuff said
Joe Green - The heart of the curtain
Franco Harris - One of the best RBs in history and has the rings to prove it.
John Stallworth - Lynn Swann gets the glory, but Stallworth was the money.

Recent favorite STEELERS would be

Hines Ward - wish we had a team of Wards
Casey Hampton - fat casey, the strong man
Kimo Von Olhofen - What he did to Palmer accident or not was a thing of beauty.
Heath Miller - Get this man the ball damnit!
Willie Parker - The longest rushing TD in Superbowl history
Ben Rothlisberger - Anyone in their right mind wish we had picked up Rivers?

Honorable mention -

LaMarr Woodley

ARKIESTEEL
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
in not particular order

1. Jack Lambert
2. Greg Lloyd
3. Jame Farrior
4. Joe Green
5. Joey Porter

When picking favorite steelers, theres no room for Wr's or Rb's IMO... Just Four Bad-*** linebackers and a DT who revolutionized the position!!!!!
I strongly disagree when you see Ward slam d-backs blocking for a run play or Bus running over guys then they are just as bad *** as the guys you talked about

Stairwayto7
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
1. Lambert is a true Steeler in every sense of the word.
2. Llyodd
3. Woodson
4. Bradshaw
5. Mel Blount

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM

The Bus woulda flattened Lambert, and Mean Joe Greene

My order:

1. Bryan Hinkle
2. Louis Lipps
3. Alan Faneca
4. Dermontti Dawson
5. Willie Parker

AZ_Steeler
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
My all time favorite is Rod Woodson! The dude was a warrior and brought it every single game. The one memory that sticks out the most was SB XXX, when he broke up a pass on the sidelines and jumped up pointing to his knee! :cope:

Fan Of STEEL
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM

The Bus only averaged 3.4 yards/carry the last 4 years he was a STEELER and was only 3.9/carry his entire carrer. Bettis best attribute was his gift as one of the teams inspirations to win the Superbowl and he did wear down opposing defenses.

Lambert and green would have flattened Bettis, because of the fact that the entire defense in those days hit hard and stopped the run, not just one player.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Greg Lloyd no question, his intensity was rivaled by nobody in the game at that time. He would rip your head off for looking at him the wrong way and would go to bat for anybody on the team during the game. He wasn't afraid to call out his teammates either.

Woodson
Lipps
Dawson
Lake
Ward
Kirkland
Greene

were also some of my favorites of all time.

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
The Bus only averaged 3.4 yards/carry the last 4 years he was a STEELER and was only 3.9/carry his entire carrer. Bettis best attribute was his gift as one of the teams inspirations to win the Superbowl and he did wear down opposing defenses.

Lambert and green would have flattened Bettis, because of the fact that the entire defense in those days hit hard and stopped the run, not just one player.

That doesn't matter. Today's atheletes are far superior to yesterdays. Bettis was a freak in his prime. He would have torn up to 70's. Plain and simple.

ARKIESTEEL
03-18-2008, 03:31 PM
That doesn't matter. Today's atheletes are far superior to yesterdays. Bettis was a freak in his prime. He would have torn up to 70's. Plain and simple.

Not saying anything bad about the old guys that played in the 70's but Bettis size alone would carry him over most of them guys

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I agree in a limited extent that most, not all of todays athletes are superior in some ways to the athletes of yesterday. But, what those guys lack in so called "superior" qualities, they make up for in cunning, tenacity and the love of the game to put a lot of the todays athletes on their ***. The Bus might have knocked Lambert on his *** the first time, but how much you wanna bet it wouldn't happen again? I'd bet a paycheck on that.

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd bet a paycheck on that.

And if there was a way to settle this argument, I would take that bet in a hearbeat.

You don't think the Bus was tenacious, or cunning? He was, and he always has been.

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
You don't think the Bus was tenacious, or cunning? He was, and he always has been.
I agree, he was but so was Lambert. All I'm sayin is just because the athletes of today are "superior", doesn't mean they would win every fight. The yesterday athlete had a lot of pride and guts that makes up for whatever they maybe lacking physically compared to todays athlete.

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I agree, he was but so was Lambert. All I'm sayin is just because the athletes of today are "superior", doesn't mean they would win every fight. The yesterday athlete had a lot of pride and guts that makes up for whatever they maybe lacking physically compared to todays athlete.

So you think todays athletes get to where they are by not having that same pride and guts.

GoBenGo
03-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Bradshaw....Joe Greene...Lambert...Roethlisberger...dawson

honorable mention: swann...blier..woodson..foster

worth mentioning : Randle el, Kevin Greene

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
So you think todays athletes get to where they are by not having that same pride and guts.
Todays athletes have pride and guts but its fueled more for money then for the love of the game. Bettis is an exception and so are a lot of them but I just don't like the "todays athletes are superior so they would win every time argument."

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't think today's players can hold a candle to the toughness, tenacity, pride, and love for the game that yesterdays players had. There are exceptions in today's NFL but they are few and far between. Bettis was certainly one of them, Hines Ward is too, perhaps Ben will fit into that category someday but when you look at how little the players had financially during the 60's and 70's versus what is available now you can see that those guys then played for their lives and pride of the team more than today's players as a whole do.

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
lol...you guys are such old-heads.

DIESELMAN
03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
lol...you guys are such old-heads.
:lol: Thats right :yellowthumb:

AR Steeler
03-18-2008, 05:04 PM
mine are:Bradshaw, Ward, Lambert, Roethlisberger, Mean Joe.:helmet:

V_83
03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Kimo Von Olhofen - What he did to Palmer accident or not was a thing of beauty.

Amen.

Also I would probably have to choose Hines Ward. But James Harrison was my breakout player last year, and I've got home high hopes for him.

PsychoWard
03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
mine are woodson, lloyd, lambert, bettis, and big ben.

Stairwayto7
03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
This list is almost impossible! I would not put Bettis on any of my list though! Unless it were Top 50 Steelers players ever. Its just my opinion though!

Bettis didn`t start his career here, he did get some yards, but almost cost us a Super Bowl. Then the SuperBowl became more about him and Detroit, than it did the rest of the team. He wasn`t even a starter, and his fumble should have cost us. But Ben came through! Ben is flying up my list, but needs a few more years for top five, but he is on his way!

GoBenGo
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
lol...you guys are such old-heads.:yellowthumb:no skool like the old skool:greengrin:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

This list is almost impossible! I would not put Bettis on any of my list though! Unless it were Top 50 Steelers players ever. Its just my opinion though!

Bettis didn`t start his career here, he did get some yards, but almost cost us a Super Bowl. Then the SuperBowl became more about him and Detroit, than it did the rest of the team. He wasn`t even a starter, and his fumble should have cost us. But Ben came through! Ben is flying up my list, but needs a few more years for top five, but he is on his way!
:yellowthumb:

Stlrs4Life
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
The one and only Jack Lambert. The ultimate warrior, he showed up for every play and played with his head, tenacity and the will to kill the guys with the ball. He put the "team" in teammates, never left a guy hanging out to dry, always had everybody's back. One of the best MLB's in NFL history!!!

Ditto for me!

yinzer
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
1. Lambert-nasty, just nasty
2. Mike Webster-best center ever
3. Greg Lloyd-2nd only to Lambert
4. Dermonte Dawson-2nd only to Webster
5. Big Ben-need I say more

:tt02::cope::greenbounce2::banana:

Koopa
03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
mine is hines ward cause he will lay someone the **** out, and instead of jumping around flexing his muscles acting like he's the man, he does it all with a smile

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I can't have any of the 70s Steelers on my list...I didn't see them play..lol Born in 79....lol.....When I was 9-10 years old Bubby Brister was my favorite Steeler...lol Still have his starting lineup figure...lol

But here is my favorite Steelers of all time....

1. Rod Woodson....The best all around corner ever when he was in his prime....He could do it all...Plus was one hell of a return man....

2. Greg Lloyd....He was just nasty and one hell of a football player.....Imagine if he hadn't those couple serious knee injuries...He could have been that much better....What I loved about Lloyd the most he just didn't give a ****...lol

3. Darren Perry.....Perry is the most under-rated player from those 90s Blitzburgh defenses.....He never made a Pro Bowl which was a shame....Its easy to get lost on a defense with so many stars especially being in the same secondary with the great Rod Woodson and another damn good DB in Carnell Lake....I just always liked Perry and thought he was a badass football player in his own right....Perry is tied for 7th on the Steelers alltime INT's list with 32....Tied with the great Jack Ham....

4. Hines Ward....He is starting go alittle diva at times since winning the Super Bowl MVP award....But still I just love his passion for the game and how he plays...The guy is a warrior and I enjoy watching him play....The best blocking WR in the game and in his own right one hell of a WR.....

5. Jerome Bettis.....I loved the Bus.....I was so glad when the Steelers traded for him......To bad the Steelers didn't have Big Ben earlier in Jerome's career...I'm sure Bus would have had more then one Super Bowl ring....

Honorable mentions......

Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, Dirt Dawson, Big Ben

Silverback 92
03-19-2008, 12:26 AM
58 no need to explain

steelcitysfinestXL
03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Really, are yinz guys serious, if JOE GREEN isnt on your list you havent seen him play... dude pratically invented the O line double team.. o line men from the 70s have admitted they never doubled anyone until they played joe green!!! he re-invend the DL position almost as much as LT re-inented the LB position.
Hines is the best WR to don the black and gold and thats sayong some thing with swanny and stallworth beings HOF's!!! Hines was born to be a steeler, no doubt Hines= Heinz, you dont get muh more pittsbrgh than that!!!
But linebackers and ceters win my praise, Dawson and Webster were beast, but LB's are the ALPHA MALES of football, always have been always will be!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Really, are yinz guys serious, if JOE GREEN isnt on your list you havent seen him play... dude pratically invented the O line double team.. o line men from the 70s have admitted they never doubled anyone until they played joe green!!! he re-invend the DL position almost as much as LT re-inented the LB position.
Hines is the best WR to don the black and gold and thats sayong some thing with swanny and stallworth beings HOF's!!! Hines was born to be a steeler, no doubt Hines= Heinz, you dont get muh more pittsbrgh than that!!!
But linebackers and ceters win my praise, Dawson and Webster were beast, but LB's are the ALPHA MALES of football, always have been always will be!!!!

I only pick players that I have seen play....I didn't see Mean Joe play......Ok when I was 1-2 years old watching with my mom I saw him play...lol Wasn't old enough to remember.....I was alittle older when Webster was in his final years with the Steelers.....Don't really remember seeing him play that well....So thats why I just picked players that I actually saw and that I can remember seeing them play...

From 1989 and on I can remember well.....

steelcitysfinestXL
03-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I only pick players that I have seen play....I didn't see Mean Joe play......Ok when I was 1-2 years old watching with my mom I saw him play...lol Wasn't old enough to remember.....I was alittle older when Webster was in his final years with the Steelers.....Don't really remember seeing him play that well....So thats why I just picked players that I actually saw and that I can remember seeing them play...

From 1989 and on I can remember well.....

I hear ya man, im only 26 but i knew about Joe Green from the moment i started watching football from my dad and uncles. I played LB/DE/MLB so i tried to study players like the deacon, mean joe green, Jack Lambert and Lawrence Taylor!!! And from what i saw and read about Green he was one of the best!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-19-2008, 12:51 AM
I hear ya man, im only 26 but i knew about Joe Green from the moment i started watching football from my dad and uncles. I played LB/DE/MLB so i tried to study players like the deacon, mean joe green, Jack Lambert and Lawrence Taylor!!! And from what i saw and read about Green he was one of the best!!!

I study the history of the game as well....So yes I know all about the great Steelers before my time and the great NFL players....Trust me I think Joe Greene is one of the greatest football players of all time...But I can't put him as one of my favs since I never seen him play....Wish I did see him instead of watching highlights from NFL films....

I'm glad you mentioned Deacon Jones...Have you read his book Head Slap? Its a great book and I enjoyed reading it....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Mike Webster was a warrior, that guy never missed a game and always jumped up from the huddle and jogged to the line leading his group and ready for battle.

Bucsfan4ever
03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Being an oldie, the ones I remember the most are Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann and Mean Joe Green...loved his commercials for Coke.

swissvale72
03-19-2008, 08:53 AM

My order:

1. Bryan Hinkle
2. Louis Lipps
3. Alan Faneca
4. Dermontti Dawson
5. Willie Parker

Hinkle's a really odd choice.

Anyway......Greene/Lambert

steelcitysfinestXL
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I study the history of the game as well....So yes I know all about the great Steelers before my time and the great NFL players....Trust me I think Joe Greene is one of the greatest football players of all time...But I can't put him as one of my favs since I never seen him play....Wish I did see him instead of watching highlights from NFL films....

I'm glad you mentioned Deacon Jones...Have you read his book Head Slap? Its a great book and I enjoyed reading it....

Nah i'm not much into reading unless its on the internet or magazines (so sad) but Deacon was a mean S.O.B.!!! I watch every piece on him and the dynasty teams that i can, i watched Joe closely, he'd destroy anyone they put infront oh him!!!

TEEMONT
03-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Hinkle's a really odd choice.

Anyway......Greene/Lambert

why is Hinkle an odd choice? He was my favorite player growing up, when I first remember watching the team, and he always took time to sign autographs with his fans. I have four or five cards/footballs with his autograph on them. Plus, he was the guy the bridges the gap between the Steel Curtain, and the Blast Furnace.

That D had some pretty decent players in it too, who I would have included, like Woodson, Everett, and a few others, but Hinkle, to me, always had that Steeler attitude.

swissvale72
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
You've given a very good reason for your odd choice.

TEEMONT
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
You've given a very good reason for your odd choice.

It's not an odd choice.

Because I don't go with the flow and suck the dick of the entire 70's D, my choice is odd?

The fact of the matter is, Lambert was great, yes, but he was great because of his great D-Line. Not one of those players would have been great on their own. The 70's Steelers don't owe their greatness to any one player, but to great drafting by the Emperor.

Not all of us grew up in the 70's or watched the 70's teams play, so picking a player from the 80's is not an odd choice, it's just not your choice.

ARKIESTEEL
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I always liked Eric Green back when he played TE for us but he is far from a favorite of mine

BRICKTOWN BEAST
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
theres way too many to choose from lol

BlitzburghNation
03-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Mine are my truck number,,,,,,, :beer1:

Lambert & Polamalu
Always love a players intensity and these two have always given 100%

ARKIESTEEL
03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Matt Jones hehehehehehehe:nahnah:

swissvale72
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
It's not an odd choice.

Because I don't go with the flow and suck the dick of the entire 70's D, my choice is odd?

The fact of the matter is, Lambert was great, yes, but he was great because of his great D-Line. Not one of those players would have been great on their own. The 70's Steelers don't owe their greatness to any one player, but to great drafting by the Emperor.

Not all of us grew up in the 70's or watched the 70's teams play, so picking a player from the 80's is not an odd choice, it's just not your choice.

It's just odd meaing that it's unusual, Tee. But the guy signed autographs for you, stuff like that, so it's understandable.

If 200 people posted honestly their favorite Steeler of all time, "odds" (pardon the pun) are that you would be the only one naming Hinkle. Oh...still remember his pic vs. San Fran in '84, setting up the winning score, right? The 9ers only loss of the season.

Oh...and point of correction. Joe Greene not only "would have been great" on his own. He WAS great on his own. He had no supporting cast in '69, his rookie year.....and he was an effin' beast.