PDA

View Full Version : Madden Monday: Steelers no different than Bengals

Captcoolhand
03-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Imagine the following scenario: four Mellon Bank executives are involved in domestic abuse cases. Women’s rights groups and domestic abuse centers would picket. It would be the subject of endless media coverage. The response would be overwhelming. We’d pick at it like a scab.

Here’s a scenario you don’t have to imagine: Four current Steelers have been involved in domestic abuse cases, namely Santonio Holmes, Najeh Davenport, Cedrick Wilson and (most recently) James Harrison, who has admitted to striking his girlfriend.

The response has been underwhelming.

TV coverage has been minimal. The newspaper articles that did appear were mostly concerned with the possibility that the NFL might suspend Harrison, last year’s team MVP. This is about wins and losses, after all. There’s been no comment from the Steelers organization. They want this to go away.

It will.

But the stories are out there, mostly on the down-low.

A previous girlfriend of one of the Steelers involved now dates a friend of a friend. When this Steeler’s domestic abuse case became public knowledge, she broke down. Turns out this Steeler used to beat her, too. She didn’t turn him in. Now she feels responsible for what’s happened since.

Bethany Wingerson works at Women’s Place, which counsels victims of domestic abuse. Wingerson says her group has called the Steelers several times but received no response.

Mark Pudlowski of the Domestic Abuse Counseling Center says his group — which counsels and reforms abusers — sees no need to contact the Steelers. The Steelers can call him. Maybe that’s par for the course in this pursuit, but when something seems epidemic, being proactive makes sense.

Make no mistake, this is epidemic. Steelers fans glory in knocking the Cincinnati Bengals for all their legal peccadilloes, but eight percent of the Steelers’ roster has been involved in domestic abuse. Yet few seem to care. There is zero public rancor.

Making the situation more ironic is the club-fueled myth that the Steelers don’t employ bad apples, they strive for a better class of people. There is no lower class of person than a domestic abuser.

It makes you realize how mighty the Steelers really are. They may be the most powerful entity in Western Pennsylvania. No one wants to ruffle their feathers. If this were Mellon Bank, Federated Investors, Bayer or one of the other sports teams, it would be a feeding frenzy in the media.

But no one — especially the media — wants to anger the Rooneys. If you’re not embraced by the Steelers, what would you lead telecasts with during sweeps week? Actual news? Don’t be silly. Shouldn’t Sally Kalson, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s designated feminist, be all over this in her column?

I’m more disappointed in the women’s groups and the domestic abuse centers. It looks like the glory of football has skewed their priorities.

So, what should the Steelers do? Nothing too complicated. Locker-room awareness generated by mandatory counseling for the entire team, suspension without pay for first-time offenders, and second-time offenders should be released regardless of how much they mean to the team. It should be made clear that employees will not get away with hitting women on the Rooney family’s watch. Right now, that’s not so clear.

The Steelers should also make a forceful public statement condemning these instances of abuse, not just call them a “personal concern” for the player involved (as team spokesman Dave Lockett said in regard to Harrison). The club should also make substantial contributions to domestic abuse centers and use their considerable media influence to further the cause.

What will the Steelers do?

Nothing, of course. Why should they care if nobody else does?:willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Well of course nobody cares about this because it happens far less times with Steeler players than it does with Bengals. We don't have fights in the locker room, call out our coach, call out our teammates, throw temper tantrums on the sidelines, have players thrown in jail and then come back to play...gimme a break we aren't anything like the Bengals...what a retarded article!

Sounds like the rantings of a Bengal fan tired of seeing his team underachieve and only make the news when another player screws up with the law.

Stlrs4Life
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
F^%K Madden, he was always an idiot anyway.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Madden should check out steelersfever.com.....there is plenty of Steelers fans over there that want Harrison cut.....Now I would never hit a woman and I think its rather disgusting...But I'm willing to give James Harrison another chance before calling for his head...Nobody is perfect.....I never heard of Harrison doing anything like this before.....I think to that James probably feels horrible and stupid that he lost his cool like that.....

Comparing the Steelers to the Bengals is just stupid....Chris Henry and O'Dell Thurman had multiple arrests themselves...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Madden should check out steelersfever.com.....there is plenty of Steelers fans over there that want Harrison cut.....Now I would never hit a woman and I think its rather disgusting...But I'm willing to give James Harrison another chance before calling for his head...Nobody is perfect.....I never heard of Harrison doing anything like this before.....I think to that James probably feels horrible and stupid that he lost his cool like that.....

Comparing the Steelers to the Bengals is just stupid....Chris Henry and O'Dell Thurman had multiple arrests themselves...lol

Anybody who seriously thinks Harrison needs cut because of this 1 offense, even if it is a bad thing, really needs to take a step back. Teams don't just cut players and give up on them for a misdemeanor offense. Im not downplaying the fact that what he did was wrong because it most certainly was but it's not like he killed a bunch of dogs or anything here ;)

James made a mistake, he'll pay for his actions and move on with his life hopefully to never go through this again.

SteelersWoman
03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
There's nobody ANY more against domestic abuse than I am (having experienced it myself in the past)...but if I'm not mistaken, there were no marks on Najeh's ex-g/f, and I don't remember reading where there were any on Ced's ex either. Now, these are big strong guys--I'm sure if the women were hit (or grabbed, or kicked, etc), there'd be marks of some kind.

Santonio was young and stupid (although I don't really know that whole story, so I don't know if there was actual physical stuff going on), but James had no excuse. That NEVER should've happened, no matter how mad he was. Men (and women) get mad all the time, but you don't resort to physical violence. Besides, it's so cowardly for a man to use that against a woman...

It DOES look bad for a Steeler to do that, and it needs to be addressed either through counseling or anger management or something, but cutting him isn't the answer--some sort of help is.

TEEMONT
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
It's never ok to hit anyone really, not just women.

Madden is still a douche though. Let Harrison be fined and suspended. Madden just wants chicks to think he is sensitive, b/c he is a fat slob and can't get any pussy otherwise.

yinzer
03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
What a dumb *** article.

stillers4me
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
You might be like the Bengals if:
Your head coach blames the police for profiling his players.

Your head coach blames society for his players crime sprees.

One of your players is charged with a gun felony while wearing his own jersey.

Said same player is arrested for buying alcohol for minor girls.

Said same player is socializing with another Bengal who is serving a one year suspension, that is caught driving drunk, and said player is puking out the window..........all caught on video tape.

A player who has served consecutive years suspensions is reinstated and you welcome him back into the locker room.

Your "star" wide receiver puts his coaches in headlocks in the locker room during halftime of a playoff game.

You actually draft players that already have criminal records.

All of this seems perfectly normal to you and nobody cares as long as you win.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Hopefully Madden dies a horrible death, and soon.

DIESELMAN
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Madden is an idiot, never has done anything with his life except cause people grief with his stupid comments and articles. Lex Luger should've kicked his *** :greengrin:

Fan Of STEEL
03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Madden is a douchebag more often than not.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Madden has a hard on for the STEELERS, since they supposedly cot him a jod on WTAE, oor one of the local channels. I DO NOT condone any form of domestic abuse , but get the person help that should be the ultimate goal !!

portcityblackandgold
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
A football player is a man subject to all the faults and downfalls that men will face. While some maybe role models from time to time they are just men. "Let he who is not without guilt cast the first stone"

TEEMONT
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
My issue with this article is not the content, it's the writer.

For several years Madden was an announcer on WCW, where obviously, stylized violence was glorified. Madden himself even partook a few times in getting beat on. So essentially what Madden is telling us is only violence is only unacceptable if it is a man hitting a woman. While that is wrong, I just have issues with his double-standard. Madden likes to bash anything that isn't the Penguins when it comes to Pittsburgh sports.

Oh, and speaking of double standards, this is the guy who wanted to the Steelers to sign PacMan Jones and Randy Moss...sounds like a conflict of interest for the fat ****.

Stlrs4Life
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Besides, if we did cut him, he would be signed so fast you couldn't even blink.

SteelerFan87
03-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Oh, and speaking of double standards, this is the guy who wanted to the Steelers to sign PacMan Jones and Randy Moss...sounds like a conflict of interest for the fat ****.

LOL! Great point! Let's see, Moss was accused of domestic violence and had a restraining order on him. Pacman Jones beats women at strip clubs.
But he's fine with saying the Steelers should sign them, because when they don't, he can call them cheap and say they aren't dedicated to winning. And now that Harrison hits his girlfriend, he suddenly thinks hitting women his horrible and the Steelers should be ashamed of themselves. It's so obvious his sole purpose is to portray the Steelers in a negative light whenever he can. Because he thinks the Rooneys are out to get him. lol

Anyway, let's examine this "epidemic".
Santonio Holmes: Charges were, IIRC, dropped.
Najeh Davenport: No evidence that he hit the woman, and in fact he claims she tried to grab his son out of a moving car!
Cedrick Wilson: His crazy girlfriend threatened to shoot him. Where's the part where he committed domestic violence?
James Harrison: Ok, obviously he did it. He admitted it. That's certainly not acceptable and he should be fined, suspended, whatever, and he should take anger management classes.

But, to compare the Steelers to the Bengals? When you have ONE confirmed case, and 3 suspect or outright ridiculous accusations, over a 3 year period compared to a team that had NINE ARRESTS IN ONE YEAR and multiple players arrested multiple times for all sorts of crimes ranging from drugs to waving guns at people? Come on. We all know you think the Steelers are out to get you Mark, but please, don't be ridiculous.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Well Madden will have more ammo.....Its being reported that Cedric Wilson has been arrested....lol No link yet.......

K Train
03-20-2008, 12:14 AM
thats ok...it was worth it

Iron City South
03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Looks like Rooney made Madden look like more of a horses *** than he already is by terminating Wilson's contract.

Personally, I think Madden owes the Steelers an apology and a follow-up article titled:

Why the Steelers aren't like the Bungals

Reason #1 - We are 5 time Super Bowl Champions. They are pussies.
Reason #2 - They are "soft" ... we are not.
Reason #3 - They hold their employees accountable for their character and their actions and don't tolerate issues detremental to the success of the organization.

SteelerFan87
03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Looks like Rooney made Madden look like more of a horses *** than he already is by terminating Wilson's contract.

Personally, I think Madden owes the Steelers an apology and a follow-up article titled:

Nah. I know exactly what Madden is going to say. He's going to say the Steelers only released Wilson because he's a useless backup, so it's easy to cut him to "send a message", but they would never think of punishing Harrison like that because he's an important player. He's going to accuse the Steelers of acting too late, and giving preferential treatment to their stars. Any way he can twist a story to portray the Steelers negatively, he will.

And then he'll attack Pittsburgh fans because we never really liked Cedrick Wilson, and we're so horrible for considering the football implications of all of this. Mark Madden is a one trick pony.

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Madden paid Wilson to hit his girlfriend just so Madden could claim to be a genius and a prophet and whatever other self-aggrandizing compliments he'll pay himself, pat himself on the back, and say "I told you so" to the Steelers and everyone else he can reach with his megaphone. (reference to a great article about him that he once criticized on his show and insulted the writer, because he called Madden "a message board troll with a megaphone")

Black@Gold Forever32
03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Madden is a douche and I never agree with anything he says...I just know he has more crap to talk now with Wilson being arrested.....But Wilson was cut ....Thank God....

Brady Quinn
03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree this article was dumb. I am not a Madden fan. He is an idiot!