PDA

View Full Version : TOP TWELVE

swissvale72
03-15-2008, 08:09 AM
In no particular order, Top Twelve Steeler games of all time...a single play to remember each by. A very quick snapshot look.

1. December 23, 1972: AFC Divisional Playoffs....Steelers 13 Raiders 7
Immaculate Reception

2. 1974 AFC Championship Game: Steelers 24 Raiders 13 (my personal favorite Steeler game of all time). Steelers holding a 17-10 lead, 4Q, Raiders hit a pass to Cliff Branch, off to the races. Jack Lambert appears on the TV screen, 40 yards downfield, to make the tackle.

3. Super Bowl IX: Steelers 16 Vikings 6. Reversal of the Larry Brown fumble, with Steelers holding a 4Q 9-6 lead. Steelers retain possession, go on to score the final TD, on a pass, Bradshaw to.....Larry Brown

4. 1975 AFCCG. Steelers 16 Raiders 10. John Stallworth leaps high over Neal Colzie for a 4Q TD pass

5. Super Bowl X: Steelers 21 Cowboys 17. Many plays to choose from in this game. We'll go with the FG miss, which ironically gave Roy Gerela his greatest notoriety. Trailing 10-7, Gerela misses, as he so often did in the playoffs. Dallas safety Cliff Harris pats Gerela on the head; Lambert hurls Harris to the turf, nearly gets tossed from the game (ref actually told Lambert he was gone, but then took it back when Jack protested). Inspired, Steelers score 14 unanswered points

6. 1976: Steelers 7 Bengals 3. Must win game during the Steelers 9 game season-ending win streak. Steelers win in the snow in Cincy. Don't have a particular play

7. Super Bowl XIII: Steelers 35 Cowboys 31. Franco Harris, after having words with the Cowboys for roughing up his QB, breaks a 3rd & long draw for a TD. Official throws a good block for us on the play

8. Super Bowl XIV: Steelers 31 Rams 19. 70 yd. TD, Bradshaw to Stallworth on 3rd & 10, Steelers down 19-17, 4Q

9. 1994 Div. Playoff: Steelers 29 Browns 9. Yancey Thigpen catches a TD just before half, pulls a Terrible Towel from his jersey, waves it, ignites the Stadium. Closest I've ever had to a religious experience.

10. 1995 AFC Championship game. Steelers 20 Colts 16 Game's final play. Steelers narrowly avert disaster on Harbaugh's Hail Mary

11. 2005 Divisonal Playoff: Steelers 21 Colts 18. Latter day version of '74 AFCCG. The Fumble/The Tackle

12. Super Bowl XL: Steelers 21 Seahawks 10. Willie Parker's 75 yard TD run...absolute perfection

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll make a case for the divisional game vs the Colts during our SBXL run. We came out firing and totally caught the Colts off guard with our offense from how we played them earlier in the year. Then narrowly avoiding defeat after Bettis' fumble and Ben's famous "tackle" to save the day...followed up by Vanderjact missing that FG to seal the win for us.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd like to throw the 2002 wild card game against cleveland in the hat!!! Great game lots of drama, and another brownies loss!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
I'd like to throw the 2002 wild card game against cleveland in the hat!!! Great game lots of drama, and another brownies loss!!!!

That was great wasn't, man all that snow and the great come from behind win...man it was awesome so see the looks on the Clowns fans after that :greengrin: