PDA

View Full Version : What are we going to do for a FB?

Captcoolhand
03-13-2008, 11:37 AM
We let Keider walk and have no replacement so what do we do for a FB????????????Owen Schmitt might be a good fit COME DRAFT DAY 2

http://bleacherreport.com/image/file/16046/article/random_key_90813_file_Schmitt.Owen.1.jpg
This past week, I had the chance to see West Virginia University fullback Owen Schmitt in the NFL combines and I was reminded of the first time I ever saw him play.
In 2005, I traveled to Morgantown to watch the Mountaineers’ spring game. It was a bright sunny day. The air was cool outside the stadium, but it was almost too hot with the sun beating down on us in the bleachers.
That day I saw a Mountaineer player, a number 35, who was certainly not on my radar. Despite the fact the guy was huge and tough, he was remarkably fast for his size. I was immediately impressed with his blocking and running skills. Then I noticed that he had good, soft hands when catching the football. That, too, was unusual for a player of his size.
I flipped through my program and saw the name “Owen Schmitt.” It was name worth remembering, because it had greatness written all over it!
After the game, the fans were permitted to go down on the playing field for pictures and autographs with the players and coaches. One of the pictures we took was of my daughter standing alongside the extremely personable, young number 35.
When I returned to work, I immediately told my Mountaineer friends about a sophomore player, named Owen Schmitt.
“You keep watching for number 35!” I said. “This kid is going to be something special.”
Little did I realize just how prescient those words would turn out to be!
Owen Schmitt would eventually enter the radar screens of Mountaineers everywhere with his gutsy, facemask shattering 80-yard performance on only 6 carries against the Maryland Terrapins.
But those are just the statistics. The numbers simply do not adequately tell the story of what this Fairfax, Va., resident and Wisconsin-River Falls transfer has meant to the Mountaineer football program!
In three short seasons, Owen Schmitt has come to epitomize the tenacious, blue-collar spirit of the Mountaineer football program and its devoted fan base. Schmitt has quickly become an honorary “West Virginian,” a state known for its rugged mountains and strong sense of family.
In the three short years he has been in Morgantown, Schmitt’s exploits have become legendary. Nearly everybody has heard about his 10 broken facemasks. You will struggle to find a football fan who has not heard about Schmitt banging himself in the head with his helmet after a bad pooch punt. Then there is the incident where he jumps up off the ground yelling, after he makes a big tackle that knocks his helmet from his head. That is Owen Schmitt at his best!
Owen clearly symbolizes the heart, strength, and pride of an entire state! His toughness and blue collar work ethic have won the love of blue and gold fans throughout the state. However, this is the same “tough guy,” who was crying like a baby after his last game wearing the blue and gold uniform of the state and university he has come to love!
Schmitt runs with power and reckless abandon, he hurdles opposing players like a track star, and he dives for the end zones like a swimmer at the gun. In addition, he rarely misses a block. And “blocking” is a polite word for what the tough fullback does to his opponents. When trying to open a hole, Owen brutally drives them off the playing field and dumps their bodily remains in the cheap seats.
Schmitt is a warrior whose best games always come in the big games! In three straight bowl games, the Mountaineer fullback has had a run that went for over 50-yards.
There is no need for me to tell people to remember Owen Schmitt. I just dare you to try and stop them! Any place that Mountaineers gather, his name will eventually come up in conversation. Porches, backyards, and tailgate parties—anywhere that resonates with the sounds of Mountaineer football will fondly recall his exploits. Moreover, any future list of Mountaineer greats will immediately be scoffed at if it fails to include the legendary fullback.

yinzer
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
the kid is definitely a stud but he might not be around long enough for us to grab him.

Captcoolhand
03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
the kid is definitely a stud but he might not be around long enough for us to grab him.
that's true but if he is and we just pass over him will drive me nuts

V_83
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love schmitt, but don't we already have Carey Davis? He's a pretty big guy.

Captcoolhand
03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love schmitt, but don't we already have Carey Davis? He's a pretty big guy.
is he an every down FB? i would think not. We need a lead blocker that can get job done

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
The steelers have and will continue to phase out the fullback.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Davis is the starting FB of this team, I wouldn't expect us to draft one at all really at this point. We do need someone to back him up which is here Haynes always fit; he could do double duty with Kreider if need be. Davis is a threat to catch the ball probably more than he is a true FB; which is why Arians likes using him.

If a guy like Schmitt was available later day 2 it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a look because you have to have somebody to back up Davis.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I gotta say, Davis may not be the Dan Krieder or Lorenzer Neal type "power" full-back but Parker had a career year behind a pathetic O-line with Davis as his FB!!!! Carey Davis is the right step towards making this Bens team!!! Najeh, Parker and Davis are all threats for screens and swing passes and all are rather good pass blockers (yes even willie) !!! With Mewelde we have four threats in the backfield to catch the ball and do some damage!!!

Koopa
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I gotta say, Davis may not be the Dan Krieder or Lorenzer Neal type "power" full-back but Parker had a career year behind a pathetic O-line with Davis as his FB!!!! Carey Davis is the right step towards making this Bens team!!! Najeh, Parker and Davis are all threats for screens and swing passes and all are rather good pass blockers (yes even willie) !!! With Mewelde we have four threats in the backfield to catch the ball and do some damage!!!

willie had a career year?? he had 11 less rushing tds, 0 recieving, his ypc was down........ so he didn't actually do good without a badass fullback.......i'd like Owen Schmitt, willie really needs someone in front of him that can block, if he doesn't have that he becomes useless

K Train
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
ok, schmitt is a badass. BUT i like davis, hes a good lead blocker for what he is....which is a solid weapon out of the backfield. its out oline that couldnt run block and our RB that couldnt find any holes. davis is a beast and he makes this team better....everyone is just all over kreiders nuts

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
willie had a career year?? he had 11 less rushing tds, 0 recieving, his ypc was down........ so he didn't actually do good without a badass fullback.......i'd like Owen Schmitt, willie really needs someone in front of him that can block, if he doesn't have that he becomes useless

Yeah I don't know that FWP is a RB that can flourish without a lead blocker. I mean look at LT, all those years he's had with SD and he racks up 1000 yd seasons like they are nothing but he had a lead guy in front of him. The colts offense, which is basically our offense now (or atleast what Arians hopes it will be) is one where the FB is not a main cog like it was back in the Cowher days. Bruce will still use the FB but it will be for as much of a weapon in the passing game as it is in the blocking game. This is a big year for Willie,even more than last year because we need to have a balanced attack on offense.

yinzer
03-13-2008, 05:17 PM
IMO, willie needs a full back. he's used to it. i'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to be great without one but last year wasn't as good as everybody thinks. carey davis is "good" but this kid from WVU is an absolute head hunter! he was diverse at WV but he thrives on busting skulls.

dick rasile
03-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I think every post on Schmitt is funny. I remember when Franco was picked and some of the less then knowledgeable dudes said who's he, man all he did was block for the running back. So he ended up a less then average blocker and I guess we saw the results.
I watch FB and the OL in high school and college and I've seen some great looking Running Back but make no mistake Schmitt is a Full Back first and a crazy man once he gets in the clear.

steelcityrockers
03-14-2008, 07:43 PM
davis is a beast and he makes this team better

I think you just went a little overboard with that statement. He is a pretty below-average to average blocker. He is athletic and has good hands but I dont really trust im to block all that much.

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
All I can say is, Carey Davis stinks.

Captcoolhand
03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
If a guy like Schmitt was available later day 2 it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a look because you have to have somebody to back up Davis.
I would bet that Schmitt would be the first FB taken in this year draft. and if we where lucky enough to get him, He would beat out the staring spot from Davis.:2cents::stirpot:

Fan Of STEEL
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Davis is our FB going into this season. He has shown some nice ability catching and running with the ball. The only problem is he is not the best blocker. Hopefully he can get some help in learning this important concept.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
We have greater needs on both lines than we do at FB.