PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Pro day.....

DIESELMAN
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
It was Pro Day on the Auburn practice field. Some players - like Quentin Groves, Pat Sims, Carl Stewart, Pat Lee and Jonathan Wilhite - tried to improve on their NFL Combine performances. Some tried to make an impression for the first time.

Head coaches Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Marvin Lewis of the Cincinnati Bengals led the NFL contingent on hand to watch.
One of the most-watched players was defensive end Quentin Groves, who had already put up impressive numbers at the Combine.

"I think I had a pretty good day," said Groves, who could be a first-round pick. "It was a little tiresome doing linebacker and defensive line drills coming off symptoms of the flu last week. It was a great day, I think. I showed I can drop, showed I can catch, showed I can do the defensive line drills."
Groves said he got the impression that most NFL teams would like to see him at linebacker.
"Judging from today, all the people watched the linebacker drills," Groves said. "I think that's what everybody wants to see me do."
Groves, who often dropped into a linebacker-like position in former defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's scheme, said he draws inspiration from former Auburn defensive end Reggie Torbor. A member of the New York Giants' Super Bowl champions last season, Torbor has signed with the Miami Dolphins.
"He didn't have a lot of tape at linebacker and he's a starter with the Dolphins now," Groves said. He has a Super Bowl ring at linebacker. I'm not taking anything away from him, but I know if Reggie can do it, I'm pretty sure I could."

Defensive tackle Pat Sims passed up his senior season at Auburn. He, too, was strong at the Combine and is projected to go in the first two rounds. Sims said he doesn't know what to expect come draft day.
"It really doesn't matter," Sims said. "Whatever happens, happens. Hopefully, I'll get picked up early, late whatever, try to squeeze into the first round."
Sims said he is comfortable with his decision to make an early jump.
"Of course," he said. "I made a decision. I have to live with it."

Carl Stewart. who played fullback and some tailback at Auburn, opened eyes with some strong numbers at the Combine. He did it again Monday.
"I'm just going to be praying and see where I end up," Stewart said.
Stewart said he is frequently asked why he wasn't a more significant part of Auburn's offense. His answer is always the same.
"They ask me all the time," Stewart said. "I don't really know. I'm just happy I got to do my part for the team. I'm a team kind of guy. Whatever the coaches asked me to do, I did."
And that, Stewart said, is what he'll continue to do if he plays in the NFL.
"They can put me at offensive guard," Stewart said. "As long as they put me on a team, I'll be good with that."

Safety Eric Brock, nose guard Josh Thompson and tight end Cole Bennett were among those working out for the scouts and coaches for the first time. All believed they did well.
"The guys that go to the Combine know they have this to fall back on," Bennett said. "My type of guy, you have one shot at it. It helps that it's here, but there's a lot of pressure."

Some numbers from Monday's workouts:

Player/Height/Weight/40 time/Bench press reps/Vertical jump
Cole Bennett/6-4 3-4/ 255/4.77/23/29.6
Eric Brock/6-0/204/4.7/13/36
King Dunlap/6-8 1-4/311/5.26/20/30
Zack Gilbert/5-9/187/4.57/17.36.5
Quentin Groves/--/249/--/34.5
Pechae Rodriguez/6-4/207/4.64/8/35
Pat Sims/--/305/4.80/--/30.5
Carl Stewart/6-1/231/4.69/24/38
Josh Thompson/5-11/304/5.34/35/28.5
Jonathan Wilhite/--/187/4.42/--/35

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
If the top OL and DL talent are gone by 23 then Groves would be awesome if he is still there...He would be an OLB in a 3-4.....Just remember you can never have enough pass rushers for the 3-4.....But there are bigger needs but I always prefer best player available over need.....Sometimes you reach when you have a need...

DIESELMAN
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
If the top OL and DL talent are gone by 23 then Groves would be awesome if he is still there...He would be an OLB in a 3-4.....Just remember you can never have enough pass rushers for the 3-4.....But there are bigger needs but I always prefer best player available over need.....Sometimes you reach when you have a need...
Considering the possible conviction and suspension of Silverback with no reliable depth at OLB, who knows. Keep track of Tomlins Pro day visits, he didn't make that many last year and of course the one we all know about produced Timmons.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Considering the possible conviction and suspension of Silverback with no reliable depth at OLB, who knows. Keep track of Tomlins Pro day visits, he didn't make that many last year and of course the one we all know about produced Timmons.

Groves will be a beast as a 3-4 OLB.......He is on my draft board but I have others that are higher on who I want.....Which are OL and DL....

DIESELMAN
03-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Groves will be a beast as a 3-4 OLB.......
Yeah and he played with 3 broken toes last year :cope:Hes got a non stop motor and that instinct to Just get after it!!!

MDSteel15
03-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Yeah and he played with 3 broken toes last year :cope:Hes got a non stop motor and that instinct to Just get after it!!!

3 broken toes?!?! Welcome to Pittsburgh Mr. Groves....:cabbagepatch:

seth_westover
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
that would be nice to have him and woodley! all we'd have to do is get sum d-line depth! then we wouldnt even have to worry about the secondary! the qb wouldnt have time to get the ball off! lol!

DIESELMAN
03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
3 broken toes?!?! Welcome to Pittsburgh Mr. Groves....:cabbagepatch:
Not the whole season, just the 2nd half but still this guy takes over games.:yellowthumb:

that would be nice to have him and woodley! all we'd have to do is get sum d-line depth! then we wouldnt even have to worry about the secondary! the qb wouldnt have time to get the ball off! lol!:yellowthumb: I'm all for that, get to the QB in 2.1 seconds and we don't even need a secondary :lol: