PDA

View Full Version : What's the Purpose of continually parading FA's...**Salary Cap Update

Captcoolhand
03-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Steelers meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker

The Steelers are meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker today at their South Side practice facility.

Crocker, a free safety, had a career-high three interceptions for the Falcons last season and was credited with 55 tackles.
A third-round pick by the Browns in 2003, Crocker played three seasons in Cleveland before getting traded to Atlanta. The 5-11, 192-pounder turns 28 on Sunday. Crocker is the second safety to visit the Steelers this week as the team hosted Eugene Wilson on TuesdayThey continue to tell up that we are Cap strap but they bring guys in.

Do they think that maybe they will find someone elses throwback worth paying a few hundred K too. Hell, you can get that in the draft. Even may snag a diamond.:yellowthumb:

Like mentioned in another thread, tendering Starks might have been very dumb thing to do, only time will tell.....

I personally sure would like to know what kind of offers they are trying to give these guy. They certain must be trying to blackball them for them to just up and walk away.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
They will always bring in guys just to evaluate them and see if any of them are a vast improvement over what we currently have on the roster, or in case they do decide to make a move and release someone or restructure a deal they know what it's really available out there after having spoke with them.

In regards to safety they are just keeping their options open since Clark is still recovering and Carter had a not so good year last year. I like Carter but he just didn't play well when we needed him, I wouldn't mind releasing him and signing Wilson or Crocker for an all out competition in camp.

Koopa
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
They will always bring in guys just to evaluate them and see if any of them are a vast improvement over what we currently have on the roster, or in case they do decide to make a move and release someone or restructure a deal they know what it's really available out there after having spoke with them.

In regards to safety they are just keeping their options open since Clark is still recovering and Carter had a not so good year last year. I like Carter but he just didn't play well when we needed him, I wouldn't mind releasing him and signing Wilson or Crocker for an all out competition in camp.

carter didn't play well?? i could've sworn we had a couple of our best secondary games when he started and troy was in street clothes......:dunno:

K Train
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
carter played fantastic, your all just mad cause he missed a tackle on garrard...on a play that never even should have happened cause we had it locked up

Stairwayto7
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Besides we need some tackling dummies for our Not So Special , Special Teams

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Carter played ok in the regular season, I was quite pleased with him...but late in the year and in the playoffs he got torched. It wasn't just the missed tackle against Jax, he was out of position and missing tackles the last few weeks of the year. It's clear the team is looking at options at this position based on the safety play overall last year that was inconsistent from all of them.

V_83
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Besides we need some tackling dummies for our Not So Special , Special Teams

That pretty much sums up my opinion. :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Carter is a good option for back up, but with Smith/Clark battling for a starting job, Carter better provide some serious ST's duties if he wants to stay around... with all the safeties were bringing in i think "sawed-off" may be trade bait!!!!

black an gold 4 life
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
man they must not have faith in clark coming back at 100%, but we could use an up grade of depth at the position, i'm wondering if they don't sign an FA will they pick that cat from miami if he's their n the 1st round?

K Train
03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
theres better choices out there than kenny phillips who will be a first rounder because hes a safety from miami

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 08:29 PM
This could also be to help keep Anthony Smith on his toes..right now he's the #1 backup and has the job pretty much in the bag. If Clark couldn't return then Smith would be the man by default right now so bringing more guys just makes sense from a competition standpoint if nothing else and if we can afford any of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Friday, March 07, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have only $1.3 million in salary cap room left after signing one free agent and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to an 8-year contract Monday.

Only the Dallas Cowboys have less room under their salary cap, yet the Steelers continue to parade free agents through their UPMC facility on the South Side. They had five visitors the past week and signed one, running back Mewelde Moore of the Minnesota Vikings.

The latest to pay a not-yet-rewarding visit was Chris Crocker, a free agent safety from Atlanta. Crocker, 28, played at Marshall University. He started the past three seasons, two for the Falcons and one for the Cleveland Browns, where he broke into the NFL in 2003. He already has an offer from the Houston Texans.

Crocker has played both safety spots and is the second safety to visit this week; the other was New England's Eugene Wilson. Those visits show the Steelers might be anxious about their free safety position.

Starter Ryan Clark lost his spleen and his gall bladder after his blood reacted poorly to the high altitude in Denver Oct. 21. He has been working out at their complex for weeks. Second-year man Anthony Smith replaced Clark but was benched after he gave up a couple of long touchdown passes at New England and against Jacksonville late in the season.

On Monday, coach Mike Tomlin told everybody not to hold their breath if they expect more free-agent signings after they signed Moore.

So far, that has held true. But the minimal room under the salary cap might not be the reason. The Steelers can easily create more room, a lot of it if they wish. They are holding nearly $7 million worth of cap space for tackle Max Starks since they named him their transition player. If they pull that tag, which they can do, they would have $8.3 million under the salary cap.

They also could restructure some of their players' contracts, as they've done in the past. For example, guard Kendall Simmons signed a contract last summer through 2011. His salary for '08 is $3.4 million. They could reduce his salary to $1 million for next season and make up the difference by giving him a $2.4 million signing bonus, thereby reducing his salary cap number.

For salary cap purposes, signing bonuses are spread over the life of the contract on a pro-rated basis. Thus, that $2.4 million would count $600,000 in each of the next four seasons. While it would increase their cap number for Simmons by that much from 2009 on, it would decrease it by $1.8 million this year.

That move alone would more than double their available salary cap space from its current $1.3 million to $3.1 million. And Simmons isn't the only player they could restructure and pick up room under the cap.

"If we continue to move forward, if we sign more players, depending on the dollars, we might have to make some other adjustments," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

"We always know where the cap is, and we are aware of what we can and can't do. We have to work within those restrictions."

It's not necessarily creating cap room that will limit what the Steelers do in free agency. They don't believe in wholesale signings of other team's players, for one thing. And they also don't have the kind of ready cash that some of the richer teams can throw around, such as the Washington Redskins.

Neither do they want to get themselves in the kind of fix Washington found itself in two years ago, in which the Redskins pushed off so much cap room into the future that there would have been no way for them to get under the salary cap in 2006 if there hadn't been a last-hour collective bargaining agreement extension that pushed the cap for each team $17 million higher.

The term used by NFL owners is "cash over cap" and it has been Dan Rooney's pet peeve since free agency arrived with a new CBA in 1993. It was a loophole in the league salary cap system the players quickly exploited, and now has become an acceptable part of the deal whereby signing bonuses are paid out immediately but are spread out over the length of the contract in equal amounts for cap accounting.

It made cash king in the NFL -- as long as the salary cap for each team rose every year. The problem for smaller market teams is while they might have the room or are able to create more of it, they don't have the available cash to keep feeding the system.

The Steelers might sign another low-tier free agent or two in the coming days or weeks, but as for making any splash, it's best to keep Mike Tomlin's instructions from Monday in mind.

1.3 million, man that's next to nothing but then again that's how we always do it. It still drives me nuts how close we cut things and leave very little room available year in and year out to really go out and get a top notch FA just for once.

Captcoolhand
03-07-2008, 09:10 AM
1.3 million, man that's next to nothing but then again that's how we always do it. It still drives me nuts how close we cut things and leave very little room available year in and year out to really go out and get a top notch FA just for once.
You got to wonder what we would do in FA even if we had Clown money.
How in the heck they were able to sign all the near top FA's for like the past 3 seasons. plus sign top picks in draft....where do they get the cash.:scratch:

I understand the process for the most part but to have been able to do it continuesly season in and out.:cursin:
They sign players to big contract and then let them go but never seem to end up with a ton of dead money. while we year after year maybe go out pick up 1 maybe 2 FA's, sign a few of our own and then we are back where we started.... Broke Again!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
The Steelers spend every single dime available in cap wise, they don't usually have free money laying around like many teams do because they mainly try to keep their own people first and use FA as a last resort after the draft. You can't argue with the success over the years using that strategy but it has caught up with us in poor day 2 drafting the last several years. I'd just like to see us be more balanced and get some top quality guys available now and then too.

DIESELMAN
03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
You got to wonder what we would do in FA even if we had Clown money.
How in the heck they were able to sign all the near top FA's for like the past 3 seasons. plus sign top picks in draft....where do they get the cash.:scratch:

Here is 1 reason.....Read both pages to understand it better.

Manipulating the Cap (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/reuben_frank/03/01/cap.figures/index.html?eref=T1)

SteelersWoman
03-08-2008, 02:55 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_555953.html
Friday, March 7, 2008

As quiet as the Steelers have been during free agency, one thing that has become apparent since the signing period started a week ago is that their intent on improving at free safety.

The team hosted free agent Chris Crocker on Thursday, marking the second visit this week by a prospective free safety (Eugene Wilson met with the Steelers on Tuesday).

Crocker, who has also visited the Texans, said he was impressed by what he saw and heard from the Steelers. Of meetings he has scheduled with the Broncos and Titans, the fifth-year veteran said, "Let's hope I don't have to make those trips."
Crocker had a career-high three interceptions for the Falcons last season and made 55 tackles. The 5-foot-11 192-pounder played three years for the Browns, who took him in the third round of the 2003 draft, before being traded to Atlanta.

The Steelers had problems at free safety last season.

Starter Ryan Clark was lost in October because of a condition that eventually led to the removal of his spleen. Anthony Smith, who replaced Clark, floundered late in the season and lost his starting job to Tyrone Carter.

Crocker said the Steelers told him he'd have a chance to compete for the starting job at free safety if the two sides reached an agreement.
"(The Steelers) are very high on my list, but they have to make it easy," Crocker said. "It still is a business, but it's also about winning. The ball is in their court right now."

Note: Second-year defensive end Ryan McBean hurt his right foot and is on crutches. The injury happened recently, though Peter Schaffer, McBean's agent, declined to comment on the nature or severity of it. Schaffer, via e-mail, said he didn't want to comment before team doctors had a chance to examine McBean's foot.

I keep hearing how we need "this" position, "that" position, and the "other" position shored up--but I will have KITTENS on the day that center is "THE" position we need shored up.

I am beginning to despair...I just can not BELIEVE that this isn't an issue being discussed by ALL the coaches, etc.

JoeThomas
03-08-2008, 07:24 AM
crocker is a solid player. would be a solid addition. more like a 3rd safety with corner skills.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2008, 07:48 AM
It's just keeping the options open with the injury to Clark, the poor play by Smith down the stretch and the intermittenly poor play by Carter later in the season as well.

K Train
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Anthony smith will play great this year....hes gonna regain his composure and play like he did his rookie year and the start of last year

DIESELMAN
03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Anthony smith will play great this year....hes gonna regain his composure and play like he did his rookie year and the start of last year
Lets hope so, still got a feeling we'll draft a S if we don't pick one up in FA.

SteelerSal
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Smiths reputation is that of a hard hitter....his cover skills need more improvement. let's hope he's workin on that so we don't have to waste a pick on a safety.

K Train
03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
smith was awesome in coverage for his first year and a half...he has great instints and ball skills and his closing speed is top notch. hes WAYYYYY better in coverage than that fag with the hair

Captcoolhand
03-08-2008, 10:29 AM
smith was awesome in coverage for his first year and a half...he has great instints and ball skills and his closing speed is top notch. hes WAYYYYY better in coverage than that fag with the hairMan, that's alot of queers on a team Krazy Train..... :lol::lol:

Fan Of STEEL
03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
We need depth on both lines. Bring in as many to camp as we can. Hopefully we can get some people to re-structure their contracts to make a little cap room.