PDA

View Full Version : Steelers anthem ready for a change

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06272/726048-66.stm

Friday, September 29, 2006
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Online Poll: Results

We asked readers to vote for their favorite lyrics, written by Roger Wood, for an updated version of "Here We Go." In all, 14,653 votes were cast. Here are the results:
Track 1: "The best fans ..." -- 45.8% (6,713)
Track 2: "Stand up and chant ..." -- 30.3% (4,440)
Track 3: "Promise to Dan ..." -- 12.6% (1,850)
Track 4: "One for the fans ..." -- 11.3% (1,650)

Almost 15,000 members of Steelers Nation had a say, and now a lyric of a Black & Gold anthem will be updated.

Earlier this month, Roger Wood, the creator and performer of the infectious "Here We Go" song, agreed to allow post-gazette.com to conduct a three-week long poll to replace the following lyric:

... Cowher Power will get the job done, this is the year we'll get that one for the thumb ...

For obvious reasons -- as in the earning of that fifth Super Bowl ring in February -- that lyric had become antiquated.

And with the polls closed after 14,653 people had a say, there is a winner.

The following lyric garnered 45.8 percent of the vote (6,713 votes in all) in a poll of four potential replacements:

... The Steelers Nation has the best fans. We're from Pittsburgh the five-time Super Bowl champs ...

Wood, 43, is a Richland resident and said he'll waste no time incorporating the new lyric into the song that has been a staple at tailgate parties and Steelers gatherings since 1995.

"I'm going into the studio on Monday," Wood said. "It will take a week or so and I'll get it done and then all that happens is we need to get the CDs out.

"To be honest, this was my favorite one of the four potential lyrics and I'm glad it won."

The updated version of "Here We Go" will be available in mid-October at some local Wal-Mart and Kmart stores, other various retailers and on the Internet at www.steelersfightsong.com

I completely forgot about that lyric now being out of date. It stood for so long it'll be weird singing the fight song without it. Im sure glad we can finally say 5 time super bowl champs though !! :tt02: :banana: :tt02: :banana:

AZ_Steeler
09-29-2006, 02:04 AM
I think it was Steelersfan that posted the link so we could go out and vote a while back, but most people on here took it as he was asking them to come up with something new :dunno:

I don't remeber which one I voted for now, I'll have to find that thread and see if I posted it up in the board :scratch:

Prosdo
09-29-2006, 02:06 AM
I think I voted for track 2. Not positive though lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2006, 06:09 AM
I can't remember which one I liked either, but I remember somebody posting up about it before.

ah well doesn't matter now, they already decided :lol:

suitanim
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Having to change the song because we have too many super bowl wins is a pretty nice problem to have!

SteelerFan87
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Having to change the song because we have too many super bowl wins is a pretty nice problem to have!

:iagree:

Although I don't think any of these new ones sound as good as the old one. But I'm glad we've been forced to change it. :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
09-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I voted for Track 2 but it was a toss up between 1 and 2... here was the link to vote on the songs if anyone is interested in hearing the tracks again...

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Ah what a great way to start out the day listening to Steeler fightsongs at work :lol: