PDA

View Full Version : How important is it really to try and keep Starks?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't be opposed at this point to trying to sign Hadnot and just letting Max walk. I know we are in dire need of Tackles on this roster but we are in equal need of a center if not more. Why not sign Hadnot, let Max walk and then use our day 1 picks to get 1 Tackle, 1 Guard, and then a WR or something.

The draft is more deep at T than it is at Center. We do have our 2 starting Guards right now penciled in with Simmons and Kemoeatu but I'd hope Colon gets a chance at Guard as well since he just didn't do that great last year. Just some food for thought though since that offer for Starks is looming with a big cap number if he does sign it.

yinzer
03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be opposed at this point to trying to sign Hadnot and just letting Max walk. I know we are in dire need of Tackles on this roster but we are in equal need of a center if not more. Why not sign Hadnot, let Max walk and then use our day 1 picks to get 1 Tackle, 1 Guard, and then a WR or something.

The draft is more deep at T than it is at Center. We do have our 2 starting Guards right now penciled in with Simmons and Kemoeatu but I'd hope Colon gets a chance at Guard as well since he just didn't do that great last year. Just some food for thought though since that offer for Starks is looming with a big cap number if he does sign it.

we need a center. all the games when ben was sacked 457 times was because mahan sucks and the guards/tackles have to come off their blocks to pick up mahan's mistakes.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
i have an odd feeling that we're not going to make any moves at the center position. :banging:

TEEMONT
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Do we have a choice, seeing as we already tagged him, and no on is trying to make a move on him?

DIESELMAN
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Thats the thing with tagging him, we can't just pull the tag cuz we don't want him anymore. Once you tag a player, your showing him and the rest of the team that your somewhat committed to him. So if you pull the tag your sending the wrong message to the rest of the team. Right now as it stands, its a standoff between us and the rest of the league. We're waiting on someone to set the market price on Starks, so far nobody has stepped up. Once someone offers a contract then either its cheap enough to match and keep him or we can let him walk. Then again, Starks could walk into the FO's office and say he wants to sign the TT, but just because he signs it doesn't mean we can't negotiate a multi year contract which would save us cap money.

BlackGold4vr
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
There is no way that you can justify giving a 3rd string tackle 6.7 mil per year when you shunned a 7 time pro-bowl guard who signed for 8 mil a year with somebody else. 7 pro-bowls isn't worth the additional 1.3 mil which is the difference between Faneca's new deal with the Jets and the transition salary Max will get? That is ridiculous! Starks is not worth that much coin and if you give it to him you create salary problems with other players down the road who will expect the same generosity. What will the starting tackles think when the 3rd stringer makes more than they do? Nothing in Starks level of play last year made him worthy of franchise player salary. They must pull the transition tag and give him a rational deal that won't upset the current order in the universe. If they don't that contract will come back to haunt them in spades! :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Im banking on somebody offering him some type of long term deal soon, not for what we offered him of course because that's pretty unlikely, but atleast something that can begin the bargaining process. Most times athletes don't like taking 1 yr deals because it creates uncertainty so Im figuring somebody would offer him a deal to come play and then maybe we can let him walk or match it depending on the price.

K Train
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
we need him...he needs us, just sign a more cap friendly deal

steelcitysfinestXL
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
we need him...he needs us, just sign a more cap friendly deal

:plus1: this dude was a starter on our SBXL team, his play is spotty but honestly he's one of the most experienced OL we have and he has shown signs of being a capable starting RT!!!! SIGN HADNOT!!!!!

DIESELMAN
03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
There is no way that you can justify giving a 3rd string tackle 6.7 mil per year when you shunned a 7 time pro-bowl guard who signed for 8 mil a year with somebody else. 7 pro-bowls isn't worth the additional 1.3 mil which is the difference between Faneca's new deal with the Jets and the transition salary Max will get? That is ridiculous! Starks is not worth that much coin and if you give it to him you create salary problems with other players down the road who will expect the same generosity. What will the starting tackles think when the 3rd stringer makes more than they do? Nothing in Starks level of play last year made him worthy of franchise player salary. They must pull the transition tag and give him a rational deal that won't upset the current order in the universe. If they don't that contract will come back to haunt them in spades! :2cents:
Your right, Starks isn't worth that much money. First off though, Faneca wanted out of Pittsburgh, I really don't think that he would've signed any offer made by the Steelers. After the drama in training camp last year and his contract not being already reworked, plus throw in his buddies Grimm and Whiz were gone, he had to of wanted out of Pittsburgh. Which is kind of ironic he lands in NY, everybody remember Fanecas comments on Ben his rookie year? Now hes in NY with who? Pennington and Clemens :haha:

When the Steelers put the TT on Starks there were consequences to think of 1. Starks would actually sign it and our cap would be screwed 2. Starks would get an offer from another team and we would either let him walk w/o being compensated or if the offer was low enough we would match it. There is still time and Starks hasn't even gotten a visit scheduled from another team. No way even Starks thinks hes worth that much money, the FO and Starks will sit down and get a contract done. Plus who's to say they're not talking right now on a contract, we just signed M&M and still bringing guys in, maybe the FO knows they have more money to play with then we know of.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I really think the Steelers felt like they could get Max to sign that deal and then redo a long term deal for a more cap friendly number in a fairly short time frame. It appears at least right now, that it may have backfired a little bit since Starks hasn't signed it yet nor has gotten any offers from other teams. Granted FA is only just begun so there's still time to work this out but at this point it's really imperative that we either get him signed or let him hope that now in this 2nd wave of FA's that he starts to get some offers so we can work something out. I wish he'd just take a long term deal with us and we could get out from under this issue with him before the draft gets here.

DIESELMAN
03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I really think the Steelers felt like they could get Max to sign that deal and then redo a long term deal for a more cap friendly number in a fairly short time frame. It appears at least right now, that it may have backfired a little bit since Starks hasn't signed it yet nor has gotten any offers from other teams. Granted FA is only just begun so there's still time to work this out but at this point it's really imperative that we either get him signed or let him hope that now in this 2nd wave of FA's that he starts to get some offers so we can work something out. I wish he'd just take a long term deal with us and we could get out from under this issue with him before the draft gets here.
Its still early, I'm pretty sure the Steelers will get something done one way or another that won't hurt us financially.

K Train
03-06-2008, 07:50 PM
they wont pay him all that money, id be shocked if they didnt get something worked out

K Train
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
ward really needs to rework his contract....hes making entirely to much money, we overpaid him in the first place and hes not getting any more dynamic with age....really i think we can all blame ward and troy for our cap issues right now

steelcitysfinestXL
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah ward got some serious dough he needs to give back, to help the FO!!! Im willing to give troy one more year, he earned his keep every year until 07, if he returns to form this year he was worth every penny!!!

DIESELMAN
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Just seen that 2 OT's that are about the same as Starks signed with teams. Maurice Williams signed a 4 year $16 million deal to stay with the Jaguars and Kwame Harris signed with the Raiders for 3 years and $16 million. So really the market is set for them to make a deal with Starks if they want to.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2008, 07:08 AM
According to the Post Gazette.. (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08067/863188-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML)We can pull that tag for Starks if we wanted too, so it just looks like right now they are willing to sit back and play the waiting game to see what kind of interest he is going to get from other teams before they try and start working on something more long term...

...the minimal room under the salary cap might not be the reason. The Steelers can easily create more room, a lot of it if they wish. They are holding nearly $7 million worth of cap space for tackle Max Starks since they named him their transition player. If they pull that tag, which they can do, they would have $8.3 million under the salary cap.

Stlrs4Life
03-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Thats the thing with tagging him, we can't just pull the tag cuz we don't want him anymore. Once you tag a player, your showing him and the rest of the team that your somewhat committed to him. So if you pull the tag your sending the wrong message to the rest of the team. Right now as it stands, its a standoff between us and the rest of the league. We're waiting on someone to set the market price on Starks, so far nobody has stepped up. Once someone offers a contract then either its cheap enough to match and keep him or we can let him walk. Then again, Starks could walk into the FO's office and say he wants to sign the TT, but just because he signs it doesn't mean we can't negotiate a multi year contract which would save us cap money.

Wow, I'm, feeling a little sick now. I thought we could pull it.

DIESELMAN
03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, I'm, feeling a little sick now. I thought we could pull it.
lol....that was just my opinion Dom as far as pulling the tag from Starks. The Steelers can pull the tag but I doubt they just pull it without giving him some kind of contract. Stranger things have happened though :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
According to what I've read (see above) and what I've been able to research, the tag can be pulled anytime they feel like it and they don't have to give Starks a dime...the tag is just a way to buy us time and let him know that we are interested in keeping him but it's no guarantee either way. The team won't pull the tag until they can either come a long term deal with him (without fear of him taking it somewhere else to get more from us) or he just walks and we let him go.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
From the Post-Gazette: (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08073/864801-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML)

The Steelers continue to have discussions with offensive tackle Max Starks, an unrestricted free agent whom the team named as a "transition" player -- a tag that would force them to pay Starks the average of the league's top 10 offensive linemen, or $6.9 million, in 2008

Starks, a two-year starter at right tackle who lost his job to Willie Colon last season, has not received an offer from another NFL team in free agency. The Steelers have the right to match any offer Starks might receive because of the transition tag.

Captcoolhand
03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
starks will be here next season like it or not, i just think that the plan they had to TT STARKS IS BACKFIRING IN THEIR FACE.
IF THEY DON'T COME TO TERMS WITH HIM AND WE ARE STUCK PAYING 6.8 FOR 1 YEAR IS GOT TO BE THE MOST DUMBEST THING I EVER SEEN COMING OUT OF PITTSBURGH

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 02:12 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557587.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 17, 2008

The NFL salary cap is at an all-time high. Teams are spending money like they're playing Monopoly. Free-agent offensive tackles, especially those bearing Super Bowl rings, are supposedly in huge demand.

So why is Max Starks still without a new contract?

And why does it seem like the Steelers know something that the rest of us don't?

Starks appeared to be in line for a significant pay increase when the Steelers made him a transition free agent at a cost of $6.9 million in 2008.

If Starks finds a buyer, it forces the Steelers to ante up nearly $7 million if they want to keep him, or lose him without compensation.

The Steelers, who have legitimate offensive line concerns, gambled teams wouldn't be beating down Starks' door.

Turns out, the Steelers were right.

Remind me to ask Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert to select my lottery numbers the next time I see him.

Unless some team has a change of heart and lavishes major dollars on Starks, he'll have to play on the Steelers' terms, or not play at all next season.

So far, so good for the Steelers -- and still no offers that we know of for Starks.

Hard to figure how the Steelers knew how the free-agent market would play out, especially the market for offensive linemen in a league desperate for tackles -- particulary tackles who have started in a Super Bowl.

At 26, Starks is still relatively young.

He was the starting right tackle in 2005. According to the Steelers media guide, he threw a key block during Willie Parker's record 75-yard touchdown run in Super Bowl XL.

Starks was the starting right tackle for 14 games in 2006. Depending on who you ask, he missed the last two games either because of a knee injury, or because the Steelers wanted to take a look at rookie Willie Colon, a fourth-round draft pick.

Apparently, the new coach saw the same thing the old coach did, because Colon was the starting right tackle in 2007, with Starks backing him up. Starks moved over and displayed versatility at left tackle when he filled in for injured starter Marvel Smith late in the season.

Starks, though, hurt his knee in the final regular-season game at Baltimore. Little-used Trai Essex replaced Starks in the playoff game against Jacksonville.

Since the season ended, Starks has been rehabilitating his knee and waiting for the phone to ring with good news.

Any day now, Starks may land the big contract that could finally force the Steelers' hand. Yeah, and cigarettes don't cause cancer, either.

DIESELMAN
03-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Maybe the injury along with our OL play scared a lot of teams off. Faneca has already established himself in the league but Starks hasn't. Who knows, but thats a hell of a gamble by the FO, knock on wood, it pays off. I still think with the way we're bringing FA's in here that maybe Starks and the FO are kinda talking. On another note, I think Colon would make a better guard then tackle.

Stlrs4Life
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I thought Alan Faneca threw that block to spring Willie on that TD run?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe the injury along with our OL play scared a lot of teams off. Faneca has already established himself in the league but Starks hasn't. Who knows, but thats a hell of a gamble by the FO, knock on wood, it pays off. I still think with the way we're bringing FA's in here that maybe Starks and the FO are kinda talking. On another note, I think Colon would make a better guard then tackle.

That's what many fans think and I've thought that as well but there's been no word from anyone in the organization at this point that I've heard that would suggest they think he might be trying out at Guard anytime soon. They feel right now Simmons is the guy at RG and now Kemeoatu is the guy on LG. Being thin enough as it is at Tackle right now with players' status up in the air I would think he'll probably stay put.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_558367.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 21, 2008

Max Starks isn't any more certain of where he stands with the Steelers than he was last season when he lost his starting job at right tackle to Willie Colon, a move that the fourth-year veteran called "unjustified."
"I don't know if they have me in their long-term plans," said Starks, who has been working out in Arizona because he is not under contract with the Steelers. "That's one thing I'm trying to find out: Am I part of their grand scheme, because I don't think I was last year."

The Steelers have indicated that they consider Starks a part of their future.

They made the 26-year-old lineman a one-year tender offer worth $6.9 million in late February. The team was required to do so after putting the transition tag on Starks, who would have been an unrestricted free agent. But director of football operations Kevin Colbert has said both sides are working toward a contract extension.

Starks, however, hasn't seen any indication that a new deal with the Steelers is forthcoming.
"It's a standstill right now," Starks said of contract negotiations. "It's totally up to them."

Indeed, the Steelers have all of the leverage in regard to Starks, even though he could make the average salary of the top 10 highest-paid offensive linemen in 2007 despite serving mainly as a backup last season.

The Steelers have the option of pulling the one-year tender offer they made to Starks, even if he signs it, until the middle of July. By using the transition tag on Starks, they effectively bought more time to negotiate while also retaining the right to match any other offer that is made to the former University of Florida standout.

While it may have been a sound business decision for the Steelers, their use of the transition tag still caught Starks by surprise.

"I couldn't be upset about it, but I definitely did not understand it," said Starks, who added that he hasn't attracted serious interest from any other team. "It was one of those things where we had had a conversation and it was like, 'OK, you can go into free agency, just keep us in mind.' Then I received this tag a week before free agency, so that pretty much scared all the teams off."

Starks served a valuable role for the Steelers last season, starting four games at left tackle when Marvel Smith was sidelined with back problems. The 6-foot-8, 337-pounder also played tight end in short-yardage situations and was on the special teams' kick-block unit.

Although he never publicly criticized the team for his demotion -- he had started the previous two seasons at right tackle -- Starks never understood it, either.

"Nobody ever gave me a reason how or why I lost my job," Starks said. "I wondered (if) it was because I got injured the year before? There were just questions that were left unanswered."

The Steelers' recent agreement on a two-year contract with center Justin Hartwig raised more questions about Starks' future in Pittsburgh because it minimizes the chance that the team will move Colon to guard.

Starks said he wants to stay with the Steelers, but he made it clear that he sees himself as a starter.

"Obviously, nobody wants to be the backup," Starks said, "and I started for two years, and I did not plan on being a backup this early in my career."

DIESELMAN
03-21-2008, 08:43 AM
If he would play with more consistency and show he would be worth the money to resign for a long term deal, then maybe he wouldn't be asking himself all these questions. Theres a new sheriff in town and you gotta actually play to earn your spot on the roster.

Captcoolhand
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
That's the thing i didn't get, If they pulled Starks from being Starter, why in the hell would they put the Tran. Tag on him. :scratch:
6.9 million is crazy money just for a back-up.:yesnod:

I bet before this is over we will keep Starks, he will be force into signing if he wants to play but, you got to believe the Steelers will Black Ball him in the end. :2cents::stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_559982.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Steelers remain interested in working out a long-term contract extension with offensive tackle Max Starks and will make that more of a priority after the owners meetings, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

The Steelers used the transition tag on Starks in February before he became an unrestricted free agent. The tag comes with a one-year tender offer that Starks can sign at any time, one that would pay him almost $6.9 million next season.

Starks said recently that negotiations on a long-term deal between his agents and the Steelers were at a standstill.

Colbert said he and coach Mike Tomlin have been busy the past couple of weeks attending workouts for draft-eligible players, which is why the Steelers haven't been able to devote more time toward locking up Starks beyond the 2008 season.

"We're still trying to work out something long-term," Colbert said.

It looks like they're going to make a pretty nice push for him to get him inked and free up some of that cap money they've allocated to him before the draft starts. If they can get him inked to a good deal that will really help us out and give us a good competition come this camp along with a top draft pick to fight it out for the starting positions. Marvel will still be the starter for this year on the left side but other than that it's all wide open as far as Im concerned. :cope:

Stairwayto7
04-01-2008, 06:39 AM
I agree TG, and let the fun begin!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
If Starks is in the teams long term plans this year that would really push Colon and give us a great battle in camp and preseason. This would let us draft a LT like Williams or Clady which would probably mean trading up right now but we'll see. From what I heard Albert isn't too keen on playing Tackle but he can do it in a pinch, similar to how Faneca was for us. Any of those positions will be a great help but Starks getting inked long term looks to have a big effect on how we might take with our pick.

Ambridge
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I believe the Steelers have the leverage on Starks.
I seriously doubt that another team is going to offer him a deal before the transition deadline which ends I believe sometime in June.

Hell!! If I were Starks I would sign the 1 year tender and make the Steelers over pay for my services for one season.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I think they have the advantage as well, they rolled the dice and offered him that big deal figuring nobody would be willing to go after him to offer him comparable money and so far it's paid off. Even though they can yank that tag anytime the fact that they haven't shows they've got good interest in him. God knows we could use some of that money so they better get the deal done soon IMO.

K Train
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
i heard its almost certainly gonna end up with a long term deal before the season

$teeler$guy
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
i hope that they get a deal for him