PDA

View Full Version : No worries yet.

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
So far I have seen nothing in this free agent season that should be any cause for alarm. Lots of big names moving around and lots of mad cash being given away but I haven't seen any moves that will drastically upset the balance of power. Last year it was scary the moves that New England was making to an already good team. This year it looks as though some of their talent is being bled off. That coupled with the fact that their defense is another year closer to the geriatric center and I believe they will come back to the NFL a bit. The Jets appear to be getting better and should be able to give the Patriots a little more competition next year for the division. The AFC South will continue to be the toughest division with 3 teams that are legitimate playoff contenders. The Browns look to be the team that will challenge Pittsburgh for the North. Cincinatti looks like its defensive problems worsened with the losses of Justin Smith and Madieu Williams and rumors abound about Ocho Stinko leaving as well. Baltimore still has no quarterback and if they draft a new one there will be several years of growing pains that follow, meanwhile their defense continues getting older. If the Steelers can address their offensive line and go into the season with something halfway functional, I believe we are still the team to beat in the North. I realize that we have an extremely tough schedule this year but so does the rest of our division with the AFC South and NFC East on everybodies schedules. 9-7 may be good enough to win the division this year. I don't think the North will produce a wild card this year so the division winner may be the only representation in the playoffs. I still like our chances! :tt02:

yinzer
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
So far I have seen nothing in this free agent season that should be any cause for alarm. Lots of big names moving around and lots of mad cash being given away but I haven't seen any moves that will drastically upset the balance of power. Last year it was scary the moves that New England was making to an already good team. This year it looks as though some of their talent is being bled off. That coupled with the fact that their defense is another year closer to the geriatric center and I believe they will come back to the NFL a bit. The Jets appear to be getting better and should be able to give the Patriots a little more competition next year for the division. The AFC South will continue to be the toughest division with 3 teams that are legitimate playoff contenders. The Browns look to be the team that will challenge Pittsburgh for the North. Cincinatti looks like its defensive problems worsened with the losses of Justin Smith and Madieu Williams and rumors abound about Ocho Stinko leaving as well. Baltimore still has no quarterback and if they draft a new one there will be several years of growing pains that follow, meanwhile their defense continues getting older. If the Steelers can address their offensive line and go into the season with something halfway functional, I believe we are still the team to beat in the North. I realize that we have an extremely tough schedule this year but so does the rest of our division with the AFC South and NFC East on everybodies schedules. 9-7 may be good enough to win the division this year. I don't think the North will produce a wild card this year so the division winner may be the only representation in the playoffs. I still like our chances! :tt02:

I'm just wondering how you're equating us to have 7 losses...

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm just wondering how you're equating us to have 7 losses...

I believe that out of our 16 game schedule we have 9 games against playoff teams from last year including games against 3 of the 4 teams that played in the conference championship games last year. We were 3-3 against playoff teams last year and 2 of those wins came at the expense of the Browns. Take away the games in our division and we were 1-3 against the other playoff teams. Being realistic about next years expectations with a very tough schedule. 5-5 outside the division and 4-2 in the division would be a success IMO. :yellowthumb:

yinzer
03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I believe that out of our 16 game schedule we have 9 games against playoff teams from last year including games against 3 of the 4 teams that played in the conference championship games last year. We were 3-3 against playoff teams last year and 2 of those wins came at the expense of the Browns. Take away the games in our division and we were 1-3 against the other playoff teams. Being realistic about next years expectations with a very tough schedule. 5-5 outside the division and 4-2 in the division would be a success IMO. :yellowthumb:

i get what you're saying. i just hope that next year, we actually beat who we are supposed to beat.

kgreen
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
i get what you're saying. i just hope that next year, we actually beat who we are supposed to beat.

If we do that even with the kind of schedule we have, we'll still be lucky to manage 10-11 wins. Our schedule is crazy.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
The Jets are hell bent on closing the gap with new england, it's apparent they want to win now and they are pulling out all stops and making no bones about it. I hope they do indeed make things more interesting in that division.

yinzer
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
If we do that even with the kind of schedule we have, we'll still be lucky to manage 10-11 wins. Our schedule is crazy.

ya but we are a couple solid lineman away from being an absolutely stellar team. let's start filling some o-line gaps and get one for the other thumb!

Stairwayto7
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM

So we won`t improve?

V_83
03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
So we won`t improve?

That's what I'm wondering. There is no reason for us to worry, but apparently we won't be as good as last year? Not only does that not make since, I don't really agree with it.