PDA

View Full Version : SBI (Steelers Best Interest) Tested: The Ben Signing

swissvale72
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
The concept of SBI (Steelers' Best Interest) is most often referenced on these message boards when a poster, overly smitten with their football acumen (if you think I'm talking about you, I probably am) places a higher priority on "being right" versus a result that's in the best interest of our football team.

We've seen examples of this over the years. A convenient target, Still Mill of Stillers.com clearly engages in chest-beating and self-promotion when he correctly predicts Steeler playoff losses, and is chagrined when his anti-Steeler prognostications of Steeler losses do not come to fruition, hence his continuing to rail against the officiating in SB XL. Others have been known to trot out a parade of rolling smilies when players whom the Steelers have invested in heavily do not pan out, such as Duce Staley. I've been inclined to take to task those that prioritize "being right vs. SBI."

The Ben signing severely tests SBI as it places fans in the uncomfortable positon of choosing between SBI and BBI (Ben's Best Interest). I've maintained earlier today that while Ben, IMO, is an elite QB, that his payday of $102 million was not a victory for our football team, and believe that he could have made do with less jack, particularly given his role in Fathead commercials, et al.

Yet, here's what I've seen on the message boards of the day:
...Poll questions that ask if Ben was paid too much being shouted down by a count of 17 to 1 (lone dissenting vote cast by yours truely).
...Posters congratulating Ben on "getting his" and proud that he extracted every dime that he could from the Rooneys

I love Ben. He's as messianic a figure as this franchise has had since Franco Harris donned the black & gold in '72. That said, I wish that the Steelers had been able to sign Ben for the salary paid to the 424 legislators of New Hampshire's General Court, that being $100 per annum, plus travel.

The structure of this deal is a bit too rich and not sufficiently backloaded to suit my tastes. When it comes to SSI vs. BBI....my vote will be cast with Steelers Best Interest will win every time. Yesterday, however, both the checkbook and the fandom lined up behind Big Ben.

K Train
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
a true franchise qb to a team who hasnt had one in decades=priceless

DIESELMAN
03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Exactly!!!

The structure of this deal is a bit too rich and not sufficiently backloaded to suit my tastes. When it comes to SSI vs. BBI....my vote will be cast with Steelers Best Interest will win every time. Yesterday, however, both the checkbook and the fandom lined up behind Big Ben.
and in 2 years when he becomes a FA cuz we didn't give him a salary comparable to other good QB's in the league, what do the Steelers do then? Go back to the Stewart, McKneel and Tomszak days? We finally after many, many years have gotten our franchise QB.....over paying is one thing...keepng up with the market and keeping talent on your team is a totally different subject. As much as the Rooneys like to pay only what they think a player is worth...this signing and this contract is in the Best Interest of the Steelers.

swissvale72
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Lemme be clear...I"m glad Ben's locked up...gotta believe that it could have, and should have, been done for less.

And...I don't subscribe at all to the attitude I"m sensing of, "you go Ben...way to get paid."

RckyMtnStlrFan
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Exactly!!!

and in 2 years when he becomes a FA cuz we didn't give him a salary comparable to other good QB's in the league, what do the Steelers do then? Go back to the Stewart, McKneel and Tomszak days? We finally after many, many years have gotten our franchise QB.....over paying is one thing...keepng up with the market and keeping talent on your team is a totally different subject. As much as the Rooneys like to pay only what they think a player is worth...this signing and this contract is in the Best Interest of the Steelers.

:plus1: well said

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
it all comes down to the simple fact that we have a franchise QB, and if we didn't pay him 100+ million then somebody else would have and we'd be left holding our collective breaths at the next slash or tommy gun that we find flipping burgers who wants to come play QB for us because we're stuck & right back where we were right after Bradshaw.

If we're going to have a franchise QB then we're going to have to pay him like one, it's just the reality of todays NFL.

TEEMONT
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Lemme be clear...I"m glad Ben's locked up...gotta believe that it could have, and should have, been done for less.

And...I don't subscribe at all to the attitude I"m sensing of, "you go Ben...way to get paid."

who the **** r u .....Miss Cleo?

I think we are happy as fans of the team, not as fans of Ben.

BlitzburghNation
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
it all comes down to the simple fact that we have a franchise QB, and if we didn't pay him 100+ million then somebody else would have and we'd be left holding our collective breaths at the next slash or tommy gun that we find flipping burgers who wants to come play QB for us because we stuck right back where we were right after Bradshaw.

If we're going to have a franchise QB then we're going to have to pay him like one, it's just the reality of todays NFL.

:ditto:
Exactly what i was thinking,,,,,,,Well put TG :yellowthumb:

MOTORKRAFT
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Mr. Roethlisburger will be the face of the Steelers for a long time to come. Get used to it. The contract was media savy. That is all. When the time comes for him to be cap room friendly, it will happen.

MDSteel15
03-05-2008, 01:25 AM
What is wrong with you people??? Like it was said, in 2 years, it would have cost $15 million a year! Be glad we got him this cheap NOW....

swissvale72
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Been called many things....never Miss Cleo....congrats.

SteelersWoman
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I was almost sick to my stomach when I heard what his deal was for--but that's just on the hand that realizes that there's not a single person on the face of this earth who's worth that kind of money (or needs that much).

On the other, I know it's a necessary evil in today's market for good athletes--and it's just going to keep going up--and it's just reality that if we don't pay, someone else will.

That doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is.

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I was almost sick to my stomach when I heard what his deal was for--but that's just on the hand that realizes that there's not a single person on the face of this earth who's worth that kind of money (or needs that much).

On the other, I know it's a necessary evil in today's market for good athletes--and it's just going to keep going up--and it's just reality that if we don't pay, someone else will.

That doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is.

What makes these exhorbitant salaries possible is our cultures obsession with entertainment. We place a higher value on entertaining ourselves than we do in educating our children or feeding our homeless. Even in the projects people have their flat screen high def TV's and satellite dishes. The priorities in this country are twisted and self-indulgent. Entertainment has become a need instead of a want. As long as this is the case these athletes salaries will continue to spiral out of control. It will take another crash of our economy like the great depression before this countries citizens get their priorities back where they should be. :2cents:

yinzer
03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
regardless of how much money he got, whether too much or too little, is irrelevant. if the STEELERS didn't give it to him, someone would have. i don't want batch at the healm. people's ideas of what is "too much" or "too little" doesn't matter. this subject can be argued until the next Ben Roethlisberger comes to Pittsburgh. in MY opinion, he's worth every penny... for a lot of reasons.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think Miss Cleo is a Stiller fan. :hilarious:

ARKIESTEEL
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
you are damn right
How can you put a price on all the hell I have been thru with Kordell, Bubby, Neil, Tommy, Mike, Mark, and all the other bums that have took me right to the edge of shooting the TV set? Hell yeah we should have paid Ben have Dan call me and I will chip in what I can to help pay Bens way.

Way to go Ben now go get me another Super Bowl win

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think Miss Cleo is a Stiller fan. :hilarious:
Im not so sure swissvale is either...

steelcitysfinestXL
03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Look at todays nfl, if you didnt think this guy was gonna get his long term deal for $13mil + a year, you're insane!!! Do a little research on the Current QB's in the $100 mil club, Ben deserves to be right where he is at!!! If we would of got him for less it would have been great, but i will never complain about the deal he got and i, like everyone else, couldnt be happier knowing we have him locked up for years to come!!!!

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree that Ben deserves what he is getting in todays NFL. Just comparing that to Terry Bradshaws 250K salaries of the 70's and its hard to imagine players making 13 mil a year to play a game. What kind of a salary would a 4 time SB winner and 2 time MVP garner today? Terry played in the wrong era! :lol:

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree that Ben deserves what he is getting in todays NFL. Just comparing that to Terry Bradshaws 250K salaries of the 70's and its hard to imagine players making 13 mil a year to play a game. What kind of a salary would a 4 time SB winner and 2 time MVP garner today? Terry played in the wrong era! :lol:

That's for sure. TB would be right up there with him. I think it was a fair deal for both sides.

SteelerSteve
03-08-2008, 06:51 PM
All I know is that if we didn't have Big Ben, I probably would kill myself, so yeah, it was worth it. He is the one player that this team cannot afford to lose. I know that football is a team sport and that the credit can't usually be given to just one player, but in the pittsburgh steeler's case I believe that there is two major components that kept us competitive recently: the defense, and Big Ben.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey these players make money for these filthy rich owners....So I don't blame them for trying to maximize their own income.....The Rooney's have the money to pay Ben the big bucks and field a pro team.....