PDA

View Full Version : Is Big Ben an elite quarterback?

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
March 3, 2008

This past December, Hashmarks senior correspondent Mike Sando took a fascinating look at some of the top young quarterbacks across the league. He talked to personnel directors, scouts and assistant coaches about 11 franchise quarterbacks who are under the age of 30.

Mike left Alex Smith and Matt Leinart out of the mix because he didn't feel like either player had established himself as the long-term solution. That left 11 starters for his esteemed panel of experts to evaluate.

Now that Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has been signed to the richest contract in franchise history, it's sparked a discussion on whether or not he's already reached "elite" status. If you were starting a franchise today, would you rather have Big Ben or Tony Romo?

In Mike's story, only one quarterback ended up in the "underperforming" category. And that quarterback is now a Super Bowl champion.

Won't even hesitate Big Ben without a doubt, he has proven himself in big games and when the team needed him he shined, needs to still get rid of the :cursin: ball when there is nothing there but still will roll with Ben anyday, anytime against any team :yellowthumb: :helmet: :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Well of course Big Ben is a QB I'd want to start my franchise with. He's been in the league 4 years and has won a SB and set team records for passing TD's and has proven he is the man. I wouldn't want anybody else leading this team.

V_83
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Well of course Big Ben is a QB I'd want to start my franchise with. He's been in the league 4 years and has won a SB and set team records for passing TD's and has proven he is the man. I wouldn't want anybody else leading this team.

Agreed, he set a rookie record winning his first 13 games, and became the youngest QB to win a Superbowl. Plus the fact that he is very comfortable with the offense already = Ben, hands down. Tony Romo is completely overrated. Too bad it will take a couple more years of him choking in the playoffs for people to realize it.

GoBenGo
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Is Big Ben an elite quarterback?
.....yes..been so since draft day...money doesn't equal elite...talent and ability and the where with all to use it makes him elite...
some qbs get $ but are not elite: romo,mcnabb,anderson:lol:,mcnair...

steelcityrockers
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
If the tier below Tom Brady and Peyton Manning classifies as elite than yes

JensK
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
The simple answer to this is: yes

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't care what they say about Ben. I'm just glad he is on my team!

Troyisabeast_43
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I agree I wouldnt want anyone else leading this team as the QB. The Steelers did a good thing getting this done early on in the off-season so it will no longer be a distraction any longer. More importantly like Ben said today at his press conference the Steelers can now put this behind them and focus on adding more pieces of the puzzle for this team to compete and like Ben said win more rings and championships.

TEEMONT
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
If the tier below Tom Brady and Peyton Manning classifies as elite than yes

Ben is in the same category as Brady and Peyton. He beat Peyton in the playoffs, and has beaten Brady to end a pretty hefty win-streak.

Right now, give me Big Ben over any QB in the league.

SteelerSteve
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, the question "Ben or Tony Romo" makes me laugh, Ben is leaps and bounds ahead of Tony. As for an elite qb? well, if some people call Carson Palmer an elite qb then I would say that Ben is too. I honestly don't know to many qb's besides Brady and Manning that I can really say are still better(though not by a whole lot) than Ben.

PsychoWard
03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
All I Can say is I am glad ben is at the helm of this team!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Agreed, he set a rookie record winning his first 13 games, and became the youngest QB to win a Superbowl. Plus the fact that he is very comfortable with the offense already = Ben, hands down. Tony Romo is completely overrated. Too bad it will take a couple more years of him choking in the playoffs for people to realize it.

I can still remember that game against the ratbirds in Baltimore when Tommy took that hit on his elbow and Ben came into the game. We lost the game but man you could just see even then in the face of so much adversity that Ben was going to be something special.

SteelerSteve
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I can still remember that game against the ratbirds in Baltimore when Tommy took that hit on his elbow and Ben came into the game. We lost the game but man you could just see even then in the face of so much adversity that Ben was going to be something special.Thank God Tommy got hurt :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Ben is in the same category as Brady and Peyton. He beat Peyton in the playoffs, and has beaten Brady to end a pretty hefty win-streak.

Over any QB even your boy Peyton.....:lol: Teemont what has become of you?lol Told you in the past Ben would be the man...lol I'm glad you saw the light...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I was so great to see and hear Ben talk about how much he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, finish his career here, and how he really wanted to give back to the community more and help lead this team to more SB's. The dude is a Steeler through and through and his teammates have his back 100% as he mentioned.

Stairwayto7
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
How many Qb`s get 102 million bones for not being elite?

SteelerSteve
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Over any QB even your boy Peyton.....:lol: Teemont what has become of you?lol Told you in the past Ben would be the man...lol I'm glad you saw the light...lol
WOW!!! Teemont said that? I never thought that I would see this day! :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
WOW!!! Teemont said that? I never thought that I would see this day! :lol:

Yea Teemont is starting to like Ben some....Actually he gave Ben props all season.....:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Yea Teemont is starting to like Ben some....Actually he gave Ben props all season..... :tt02:

It's the offseason so he's probably just trying to shake things up and throw us off his trail a bit more before he drops the bombshell as soon as Ben throws an INT next year :bluelol:

kgreen
03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes, Ben arrived this year. Now if we could do something about that line..........

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

How many Qb`s get 102 million bones for not being elite?

Yeah and the Rooney's NEVER over-pay players so they had a few reasons to pay Ben all this money.

1. The guy won a Super Bowl his second season
2. 32 TDs with a bad O-line
3. We haven't had a franchise QB since Terry Bradshaw so here we go

TEEMONT
03-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey, unlike all of the retarded Willie-hating (sounds like a lesbian convention) that goes on around here, I can admit when I'm wrong. Ben proved me wrong. Do I think he can still get better? Yes, a lot better. I hate his work ethic, and the fact that he spends more time with Carson Daly than his receivers in the off-season. The dude got the payday, so now it's time to prove the Rooneys were smart.

If he Troys it this year, I will go back to my hating ways.

His mistakes can be cut down a lot, he needs to learn to get rid of the ball, and not worrying about making a TD happen on every play. I really think he could have easily had about 5 more INT's this year, but him slowing himself down could have also cut that number by 5, if that makes any sense.

yinzer
03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
ben could run circles around tony homo. i'm still waiting for romo to actually DO something.

K Train
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM

no ****ing way...

yinzer
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
no ****ing way...

really? how do you think the immobile duo, tom brady and peyton manning would do with ben's line?

steelcityrockers
03-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Actually, Peyton and Brady would have probably taken less sacks than Ben because they get the ball out very quickly. That being said Ben is definitely the best QB to run this offense.

K Train
03-03-2008, 11:22 PM
really? how do you think the immobile duo, tom brady and peyton manning would do with ben's line?

no that was a no ****ing way to teemonts comment...i was stunned

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
His mistakes can be cut down a lot, he needs to learn to get rid of the ball, and not worrying about making a TD happen on every play. I really think he could have easily had about 5 more INT's this year, but him slowing himself down could have also cut that number by 5, if that makes any sense.

He learned a lot from 2006 that really served him well in 2007. He learned not only do you have to work at this job virtually year around but that also you can't always try to do it by yourself. This past year he let his weapons make more plays for him and that's a step in the right direction. He was more accurate and made a ton less mistakes. There is always room for improvement, there is no doubt of that, but I like his direction...now it's time to take it to the next level.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Actually, Peyton and Brady would have probably taken less sacks than Ben because they get the ball out very quickly. That being said Ben is definitely the best QB to run this offense.

Thats a good point... but i really think if you would have just put Brady in our offense for a game last season, he would have thrown 5 picks or taken 7-10 sacks. I think it has alot to do with the routes that are ran aswell as the pass pro!!!! Peyton or Brady would have had 25 td, 20+INT, 60+sack seasons last year at the helm in our O... im convinced of it!!!!

Is he Elite... i dont think there is a question about it!!!!

Brady Quinn
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
He is definately good, but elite is not him. He is not close to the status of Peyton or Brady. There have been a bunch of QBs that have gotten 100 million and did nothing afterwards. Mike Vic, Cullpepper and they were talking about that on espn last night. He deserves the money but he is not elite.

V_83
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
He is definately good, but elite is not him. He is not close to the status of Peyton or Brady. There have been a bunch of QBs that have gotten 100 million and did nothing afterwards. Mike Vic, Cullpepper and they were talking about that on espn last night. He deserves the money but he is not elite.

Don't forget Mcnabb. One of the most overrated players in the NFL, IMO. Ben is the only quarterback I want running this offense, Peyton is awesome, but not suited for this type of offense. Brady, I just hate, so Ben is by far the best choice.

JensK
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM

There is a difference between being Elite and having the same Status. Both Brady and Peyton have been in the game for much longer time than Ben. They have both shown that they can play like an Elite QB every year. That have to give them some status, thats sure, but it dosnt mean that they are better quaterbacks. They have just been in the game for longer time, which have to give them a better reputation than Big Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Being in 100 million club isn't the reason he's elite, that's just the benefit of being elite. He's elite because of the records he's broken, the super bowl he won in his 2nd year, and the way he leads this team. he is a top 5 QB in this league, there is no denying that plain and simple.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey, unlike all of the retarded Willie-hating (sounds like a lesbian convention) that goes on around here, I can admit when I'm wrong. Ben proved me wrong. Do I think he can still get better? Yes, a lot better. I hate his work ethic, and the fact that he spends more time with Carson Daly than his receivers in the off-season. The dude got the payday, so now it's time to prove the Rooneys were smart.

ben needs 2 go out an earn this money, if he does the the things u posted he will b n the class of peyton, an brady those guys take there careers seriously, an ben is an bit 2 cocky,he needs 2 work on his arm strength,he needs 2 make better decisions with the football, he needs 2 get rid of the ball sooner etc..............let's c if he really wants 2 b considered n the elite q'b's converstaions his work ethic will show if he's serious or if he just wanted an big pay day like so many other athletes................

TEEMONT
03-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Ben is not a Mike Vick type player...he isn't going anywhere.

Culpepper was good b/c he had Moss, Ben doesn't have anyone nearly as good as Moss.

You get 100 mil b/c you are elite, not b/c you can become elite.

A clowns fans' viewpoint is obviously skewed.

TampaSteelGirl
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Well he was rated #2 behind Brady last year!! How can you say he's not an elite QB??? If it weren't for our crappy O-line I'm sure his year would have been better. :yellowthumb:

GoBenGo
03-04-2008, 03:53 PM

lol...troys it...
that is funny, dude:yellowthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM

I gotta say i disagree with just about everything you just said!!!!

1. Peyton- Has had a team actually taylor made for him him since his 3rd year in he league. Think about it Edge, Marvin, Pollard (was a good te in that O) saturday at C with host of o-line. Dude has been given every possible oppourtunity to succeed. Now w/ Wayne, addai, Clark and Marvin he has 4 probowl weapons at his disposal. And it took him what 9 years to win a superbowl.

2. Brady- Walked into a team that was a contender for a couple seasons under bledsoe. Great coach, top notch organization playing in the AFCE, they have no competition in that division and havent in years!!!( minus a couple seasons that the Jets were a decent team) Dude has mad talent, dont get me wrong, but IMO he isnt as good as Manning, yet!!

3. Mike Vick- Had ZERO talent at WR since he emerged in the NFL. When D.V.D. was at its best Vick was a beast and you cant deny that. Crumpler was his only target ever!!! I always wanted to see mike Vick get traded to see what he could do in a better O!! Dude was the face of the NFL and thats why he got that 112 mil, and at the time he deserved it. Every kid had his jersey, knew his name and he carried that organization to the playoffs and damn near a superbowl all in his own!!!! He ruined what could have been a great career!!!

Bens career has be great to this point. He had one off year and with all the injuries its hard to say that it was due to lack of ability!!! His achievements speak volumes for his age!!! He is a top 5 qb in this league, top 3 in my book. I'd say he is elite and he did it in a hurry!!!

steelerschick1220
03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
IMO, Ben is the third best QB in the league right now. He's the leader of that tier of guys behind Brady and Manning. If he keeps improving every year, there is no reason he can't join their level. His stats were only behind Brady this year and if he had done a couple of things differently, they would've been better. He holds on to the ball too long sometimes, though, and that is one thing he needs to improve.

Tony Romo is overrated. I think the Cowboys paid him way to much dough and will find that out in the next couple years. It was entertaining to see every commentator on ESPN fawn all over him this year and then watch him choke in the playoffs-again!

yinzer
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Ben is not a Mike Vick type player...he isn't going anywhere.

Culpepper was good b/c he had Moss, Ben doesn't have anyone nearly as good as Moss.

You get 100 mil b/c you are elite, not b/c you can become elite.

A clowns fans' viewpoint is obviously skewed.

exactly. nobody expects a silly clowns fan to give ben props.

SteelerSteve
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Thats a good point... but i really think if you would have just put Brady in our offense for a game last season, he would have thrown 5 picks or taken 7-10 sacks. I think it has alot to do with the routes that are ran aswell as the pass pro!!!! Peyton or Brady would have had 25 td, 20+INT, 60+sack seasons last year at the helm in our O... im convinced of it!!!!
it!!!! Thats right, the Giants showed how Brady performs when he is actually getting pressured like Ben has.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

IMO, Ben is the third best QB in the league right now. He's the leader of that tier of guys behind Brady and Manning. If he keeps improving every year, there is no reason he can't join their level. His stats were only behind Brady this year and if he had done a couple of things differently, they would've been better. He holds on to the ball too long sometimes, though, and that is one thing he needs to improve.

Tony Romo is overrated. I think the Cowboys paid him way to much dough and will find that out in the next couple years. It was entertaining to see every commentator on ESPN fawn all over him this year and then watch him choke in the playoffs-again! I hate to bring any negativity, but didn't Ben choke a little in the playoffs this year too? having said that, he did almost bring them back to win the game. Thats what I like about him, if he has a rough first half he usually brings the team back in the second half to either win or be in a good position to win games.

steelcityrockers
03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
3. Mike Vick- Had ZERO talent at WR since he emerged in the NFL. When D.V.D. was at its best Vick was a beast and you cant deny that. Crumpler was his only target ever!!! I always wanted to see mike Vick get traded to see what he could do in a better O!! Dude was the face of the NFL and thats why he got that 112 mil, and at the time he deserved it. Every kid had his jersey, knew his name and he carried that organization to the playoffs and damn near a superbowl all in his own!!!! He ruined what could have been a great career!!!

I guess Roddy White who ad well over 1000 yards isnt a good receiver?

K Train
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
roddy white is ok....not exactly a superstar....but vick sure as hell didnt make him any better

BlitzburghNation
03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Is he an elite QB,,,,,,,,,Ofcourse he is and I'm thrilled he's gonna be a steeler his whole career :towelwave:
This past year really showed alot of doubters ,,,,,,, Just how good he is and how much better he's gonna be and I'm looking forward to him filling that trophy case up ~~~~~ :towelwave:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-05-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess Roddy White who ad well over 1000 yards isnt a good receiver?

This was the first full year he was a starter/contributor. He was in his rookie and sophmore years when Vick was their and he was a non-factor... so no at that time he wasnt a good WR but he showed a little promise. Before this year he was an after thought to guys like Price, Lelie and a bunch of under achieving young players like Jenkins. Im not sayin Vick was an elite QB... im sayin he was that entire franchise, and before he ruined his career off the field, IMO he had a pretty decent one on the field for the talent that was around him!!!! Jut sayin i would of liked to have seen him get a chance else where in his career... too late now though!!!