PDA

View Full Version : Mewelde Moore soon to be a Steeler..**Update, signs 3 yr deal**

DBR96A
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467

In addition to a pay raise, the Steelers are also in the process of adding another weapon to Roethlisberger's arsenal. Pittsburgh hosted former Vikings running back Mewelde Moore on Sunday and his signing appears imminent.

Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked. He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Thoughts?

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Well its good to see our FO knows that FA has started... good pickup in my eyes cause this gives us rb depth and a return man!!! Im starting to get a lil curious about a possible trade involving a "contributor" from this team. We seem to be looking to add depth at pos's that are second priority ie: RB and S with the visit from eugene wilson!!! I think we may see a trade coming from the FO real soon!!!!!

DBR96A
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
All the Viking fans I've talked with on another board have given pretty much positive reviews on Moore. He always seemed like a decent player; it's just with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, Moore was kind of the odd man out in Minnesota. He'll get more playing time with us, for sure.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
He'd be an interesting pick up. The rb position is getting a little crowded now ,something has got to give there....

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
He's going to mainly be a return guy I would imagine, he's not a battering ram by any means but he could see some 3rd down action and mixed in with some WR packages. At this point Im for any guy that can come in and help us in the return game. He'll come at a decent a price for us too.

Prosdo
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I would be cool with this pick up. From what I remember seeing of him he was a good player. The only thing that concerns me is where are the O-line and D-line pickups?

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
He's going to mainly be a return guy I would imagine, he's not a battering ram by any means but he could see some 3rd down action and mixed in with some WR packages. At this point Im for any guy that can come in and help us in the return game. He'll come at a decent a price for us too.

:ditto: Moore will definately be an upgrade in the return game and could definately get some time out of the backfield as well. Would be very happy with this signing :yesnod:

AZ_Steeler
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
A couple years back Moore was flat out awesome. Not sure if the Vikings just got to many people around him and not knowing how he would pan out but the times he did get to plya he was impressive. I like this signing, I think it was a move in the right direction as well.

GoBenGo
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
moore has a lot of positives...be interesting to see if he can break out...he was an oft-producing fantasy player...runs with intention, and can bust holes...could be the thunder for the lightning...najeh had the same kind of feel when we picked him up...but imo moore is much more physical...and a harder runner..getting more of the tougher yards...(ones fwp, and dook didn't get)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
A couple years back Moore was flat out awesome. Not sure if the Vikings just got to many people around him and not knowing how he would pan out but the times he did get to plya he was impressive. I like this signing, I think it was a move in the right direction as well.

It seems to be just a case of a crowded back field and he was just odd man out there. Taylor and Peterson are the main guys and Im sure Moore wanted to go to a place where he can get some more playing time and atleast compete for a backup role if nothing else. He knows FWP is the starter but if he can contribute on ST and in a role situation on offense we'll do well to have brought him to the team.

BlackGold4vr
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
This was one of the areas that had to be addressed and now it has been. One of the things I like about letting Rossum go and signing Moore is we just got a whole lot younger in our kick returner. Moore is only 26 years old and will be entering his 5th season in the NFL. He is listed on the Viking roster as 5'11 209 lbs. which is a durable size. Well done! Would love to see at least 1 or 2 more moves made to lessen the importance of this draft classes success. A defensive end or a center would help. :crossfingers:

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
No problem w/this move at all. Players like Moore sitting behind Peterson/Taylor are diamonds in the rough just waiting for a team to show them the love.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
He reminds me a lil of Burner Turner and Leon Washington, i think he has "that" kind of talent... hopefully this deal can give him a chance to shine!!!!

Stairwayto7
03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
positive news

DBR96A
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I would be cool with this pick up. From what I remember seeing of him he was a good player. The only thing that concerns me is where are the O-line and D-line pickups?

I imagine that we'll draft three offensive linemen, and then sign a free-agent offensive lineman after June 1. Remember, this is only the first of two periods of free agency. Keep your coo. :yellowthumb:

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Roundup: Steelers bolster offense with running back Moore
March 3, 2008, 2:36 PM ET

The Steelers, who locked up franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday with an eight-year, $102 million contract extension, added depth to their offense by reaching a three-year, $4.95 million deal with Vikings halfback Mewelde Moore.

Moore, 25, is an elusive back who was signed to back up Willie Parker and work with big back Najeh Davenport. He was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2004. In his second season, he started eight games and rushed for 662 yards and caught 37 passes for the Vikings in 2005. Moore will received $1.35 million to sign.

Because he has good speed, Moore has a 4.9 yard per carry average and is considered to be a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

It's Official :bigthumb:

Captcoolhand
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM

The Steelers, who locked up franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday with an eight-year, $102 million contract extension, added depth to their offense by reaching a three-year, $4.95 million deal with Vikings halfback Mewelde Moore.

Moore, 25, is an elusive back who was signed to back up Willie Parker and work with big back Najeh Davenport. He was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2004. In his second season, he started eight games and rushed for 662 yards and caught 37 passes for the Vikings in 2005. Moore will received $1.35 million to sign.

Because he has good speed, Moore has a 4.9 yard per carry average and is considered to be a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.

It's Official :bigthumb:Well that's cool but no one mentioned that he was also injuried 2 seasons ago that left him unable to preform to his capabililties last season and has me wondering what Parker will be able to do this season when he returns:2cents::scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM

It's Official :bigthumb:

Sounds good to me, this should hopefully sure up our return game now and give Ben yet another weapon ! :banana:

Koopa
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
tomlin starting to bring in his guys, i like the signing, maybe we'll finally have a decent running back on this team :lol:

GoBenGo
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
can he catch....

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Tampa was trying to get him last year when Cadillac Williams went down.

Quick Facts:

Moore averages 5 YPC for his career
He returned 2 kicks for TD's in 4 years
He has a career QB rating of 90.
Moore is only 25.
Moore is the same size as Parker - 5'11 210

I like this signing for a number of reasons:

- Young guy (26) in going into the prime of his career and hungry ...
- Averaged over 10 ypc last year on 46 catches - which is one less than our third leading receiver in Miller.
- Averages nearly 5 ypc as a running back. And has shown the ability to maintain a decent-sized workload with 155 carries in 2005.
- Upgrades the ST's Unit: Averages 10 yards per return as a punt returner.

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Can't hurt, but I don't think he beats out Bloom on return team.

Koopa
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM

bloom won't even make it past the 2nd game of the preseason

steelcityrockers
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM

FALSE! Bloom couldn't make the Eagles return team despite the fact that the Eagles had no viable alternative at the time (Reno Mahe wasn't signed) leading to the Green Bay loss.

Troyisabeast_43
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
The Mewelde Moore signing today I think is a good one as well. He is a good rb who has some speed and can return kicks and gives the Steelers some more depth at that position. He is still young at 26 and can still be a very productive player for a long time. They wouldnt have given him a 3 year deal if they thought otherwise. It allows them also not to focus on rb so much in the draft but more so on the o line and the defense.

TEEMONT
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
tomlin starting to bring in his guys, i like the signing, maybe we'll finally have a decent running back on this team :lol:

please tell me you are not saying Moore is better than Parker.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I like the signing of Mewelde Moore....He will help in the return game which is a need and also serve depth at RB....He can catch the ball well out of the backfield....Can't complain about a signing like this....

PsychoWard
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I like this signing. It adds depth to our running game and gives us a decent pr/kr. Good work Guys!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I like the signing of Mewelde Moore....He will help in the return game which is a need and also serve depth at RB....He can catch the ball well out of the backfield....Can't complain about a signing like this....

Plus the cap hit on him is very friendly...if he works out we'll have gotten him for a real cheap price and if he doesn't we won't have lost too much. I like this signing a lot too, good speed and hands are key in the return game and he's got both not to mention his experience to boot.

Silverback 92
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I sure miss those 240-250 lbs. type guys as RB

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM

We have one of those already in Davenport....The Steelers brass thinks so much of him that they added Moore...lol Get over it the Bus isn't coming back....:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
We have one of those already in Davenport....The Steelers brass thinks so much of him that they added Moore...lol Get over it the Bus isn't coming back....:lol:

Yeah do appear to have a good amount of faith in Najeh that he can be that tough runner they want. He did do well last year, but I think Tomlin would do well to have an open competition at RB this camp and see who wants it most because the RB's are somewhat inexperienced and on the smaller side behind Najeh and Willie so a shootout at St. Vincent Corral would be wise IMO :yellowthumb:

kgreen
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
This was one of the areas that had to be addressed and now it has been. One of the things I like about letting Rossum go and signing Moore is we just got a whole lot younger in our kick returner. Moore is only 26 years old and will be entering his 5th season in the NFL. He is listed on the Viking roster as 5'11 209 lbs. which is a durable size. Well done! Would love to see at least 1 or 2 more moves made to lessen the importance of this draft classes success. A defensive end or a center would help. :crossfingers:

Good points dude. Yeah Rossum had his 15 minutes of fame and it was time to get younger.

stillers4me
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Since I don't know anymore about this guy that what has been written today, I'll trust Tomlin on this one. Moore was a Viking for the last 4 years.......that means Tomlin knows him and he woildn't bring anyone on board that wasn't Steeler grade.

Koopa
03-03-2008, 08:38 PM

that laughing smile there was the indicator that i was just joking around

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Rather saying that he is .. or he's not, let's just say ..... we'll soon find out. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
that laughing smile there was the indicator that i was just joking around

Hey man, I know ur a Willie hater, so I just wanted to make sure.

Rather saying that he is .. or he's not, let's just say ..... we'll soon find out. :yesnod:

I have never seen 15 words put together that made less sense.

AZ_Steeler
03-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Sounds good to me, this should hopefully sure up our return game now and give Ben yet another weapon ! :banana:
He wasn't really given the chance to do anything especially since Peterson was drafted. He's not only had time to heal but he should be well rested and ready to go.

I hope he doesn't try to bring the whole team b/c the Vikings weren't exactly great ;)

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
I like the Moore pick up, i would love to see us cut Ced and Ried and pick up Javon Walker, he was hurt last year but i think he's got alot of game left.

steelcityrockers
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Please tell me you are joking. I really am not in the mood to have this argument again but since when does it really matter how big the guy is? Dookie is huge and runs soft, conversely (and contrary to popular belief on this forum) Willie Parker is small and runs hard.

And I like Moore. He will never be more than a backup due to injury issues but he excels in that role.

K Train
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

what we need to do is make willie eat lots of cake to make him a powerback.

:greenbounce2:

steelcityrockers
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
That's right KT. He can go on the Duce Staley diet.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Please tell me you are joking. I really am not in the mood to have this argument again but since when does it really matter how big the guy is? Dookie is huge and runs soft, conversely (and contrary to popular belief on this forum) Willie Parker is small and runs hard.

And I like Moore. He will never be more than a backup due to injury issues but he excels in that role.

:plus1: big backs are over rated... brandon jacobs, ron dayne, we were just lucky to get Bettis in his prime!! The only reason a guy like Jamal Lewis(in his prime) and Larry Johnson ball out is because he has amazing speed for their size!!! A big back in the NFL w/ out speed is just a big target!!!
Our next priority should be to extend willies contract from last year now b4 he consistantly challanges for the rushing title, is a perenial(spell check) probowler and commands highest dollar!!!!! When we get and O-line worth a damn this dude combined with Ben is gonna be a probowl tandem for years to come!!!

DIESELMAN
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Good, good, good signing :yellowthumb: Moore is a classy, low key guy who will fit in real nice here in Pittsburgh. Hes a good return man, he can pass block and he'll bring valuable experience for some of our young guys.

stillers4me
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Credit goes to Tomlin for this one........he was a Viking and I believe Tomlin was waiting for him to become available and then snatch him up!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Good, good, good signing :yellowthumb: Moore is a classy, low key guy who will fit in real nice here in Pittsburgh. Hes a good return man, he can pass block and he'll bring valuable experience for some of our young guys.

I agree Diesel..........He will be our 3rd down back and return man....Good pickup....

K Train
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
all i can say is he better be a ****ing awesome return man

Black@Gold Forever32
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
all i can say is he better be a ****ing awesome return man

I don't know if he is the awesome class as return man go...But he is consistent in the return game....The Steelers got nothing from their return game in 07........Rossum had that one return for a TD and that was it...lol

Plus Moore will be the 3rd down back...He is very good in blitz pickup and has great hands.....Davenport did ok as the 3rd down back but Moore is better.........

DIESELMAN
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Moore has a 19.3 yard average on kick returns and a 10.3 average on punt returns. Out of 100 total returns, hes only fumbled 3 times. Plus like BGF32 said as far as having good hands, he can be a weapon coming out of the backfield, granted that Ben uses him, might cut down on his sacks a bit to.

Iron City South
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Moore = Better field vision and better hands out of the backfield than Parker. :yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I think Moore could be a bail out guy for Ben....Kind of like how Keven Faulk has been a bail out guy for Tom Brady for years....Plus he can pickup the blitz....To me that will prove his worth to this team...He can also spell the RBs from time to time...

He might not be an elite return guy but he can do it....The Steelers should still think about bringing another return man into camp....Maybe a draft pick or an undrafted FA.....Just to have another option in the return game...I still wouldn't mind seeing Holmes field some punts or kicks from time to time...Doubt that happens though...

Koopa
03-05-2008, 01:08 AM
ben won't even use his badass tight end as a bail out, he uses the sack as his bail out, i think if we had the most dominate oline in the history of this sport, ben will still be sacked a lot cause he refuses to throw to his rb's and te's for a quick 5 to 10 yard pick ups

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
ben won't even use his badass tight end as a bail out, he uses the sack as his bail out, i think if we had the most dominate oline in the history of this sport, ben will still be sacked a lot cause he refuses to throw to his rb's and te's for a quick 5 to 10 yard pick ups

Typical negative Koopa response....:lol: Miller had a career high 47 catches this year with 7 TDs....I don't know what you thought Miller's catches would be last season...But I thought 50 at most considering that Ward and Holmes would get their share of balls......So I'm fine with the way Miller was used....I remember the days when Steelers TEs would have 18 catches on the year....There is only one football...

Dookie also caught 18 balls and Parker had over 20....Yea Ben never throws to his TEs and RBs...I guess you want the RBs and TEs to lead the team in receptions?

Maybe if you would stop and think for a minute that maybe having a guy like Keven Faulk on 3rd down that maybe Ben will throw to the RBs alittle more in 2008? Moore could be that guy?

Koopa
03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Typical negative Koopa response....:lol: Miller had a career high 47 catches this year with 7 TDs....I don't know what you thought Miller's catches would be last season...But I thought 50 at most considering that Ward and Holmes would get their share of balls......So I'm fine with the way Miller was used....I remember the days when Steelers TEs would have 18 catches on the year....There is only one football...

Dookie also caught 18 balls and Parker had over 20....Yea Ben never throws to his TEs and RBs...I guess you want the RBs and TEs to lead the team in receptions?

Maybe if you would stop and think for a minute that maybe having a guy like Keven Faulk on 3rd down that maybe Ben will throw to the RBs alittle more in 2008? Moore could be that guy?

that 47 could have easily been 67 had ben not always looked to score on the first possible play

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 01:35 AM
that 47 could have easily been 67 had ben not always looked to score on the first possible play

Yea and my aunt would be my uncle if she had balls....:lol: So whats your point? Like always just alot of hot air...lol

Koopa
03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
and it's not that i'm being negative, i'm just looking at what i've seen over the years, he's been in the league for 4 years now, he is who he is, i'm not saying that's a bad thing, but we shouldn't be counting on him using a bail out more often because he's always gonna be looking for the espn highlight, and there ain't nothing wrong with that if he plays like last year

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2008, 07:05 AM
You can't have too many weapons at a QB's disposal. Injuries will always happen and you need everybody available on your team that you can gather to help the cause. Even if we don't get bit hard by the injury bug the more options available to Ben the better. We need to be as diverse on offense as possible and this signing is just another piece to the puzzle.

NOVA STEELERS
03-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Mewelde Moore: Looking to Carve Role as Pittsburgh’s Third Down Back

Mar 4, 12:18 pm EST

Update: Moore will head into the 2008 season with a good chance of becoming the Steelers’ third down back and return man on both punts and kickoffs.

Recommendation: Pittsburgh recently cut kickoff man Allen Rossum, opening the door for Moore. He could also have a nice third-down role, given the need for a back with soft hands coming out of the backfield.

Sounds good to Me :bigthumb:

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Moore = Better field vision and better hands out of the backfield than Parker. :yesnod:

lol...better vision? whats this based on, Moore;s one 1,000 yard season?

Ambridge
03-05-2008, 05:35 PM
What special thing did Moore do in Minnesota that makes anyone think that he's going to do anything special in Pittsburgh??

Ask yourself a question-Are the Steelers a better team now that he's on the roster????

NO!!

He's an NFC Bum!!

K Train
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
What special thing did Moore do in Minnesota that makes anyone think that he's going to do anything special in Pittsburgh??

Ask yourself a question-Are the Steelers a better team now that he's on the roster????

NO!!

He's an NFC Bum!!

i think you should return kicks for us then

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM

NO!!

He's an NFC Bum!!

Did I read one post stating Moore was going to do special things in Pittsburgh?...I don't think I did....All the talk was about Moore filling a role...Last time I checked you need role players.....

BlackGold4vr
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM

NO!!

He's an NFC Bum!!

We needed depth at RB, he gives us more depth.

We needed a punt and kick returner other than Willie Reid, he gives us both.

Great move by the FO in filling several critical needs with one player!

This is a proven NFL player who has proven he can return kicks which allows us to fill other needs more urgent. I love the move! :clap:

V_83
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
We needed depth at RB, he gives us more depth.

We needed a punt and kick returner other than Willie Reid, he gives us both.

Great move by the FO in filling several critical needs with one player!

This is a proven NFL player who has proven he can return kicks which allows us to fill other needs more urgent. I love the move! :clap:

Exactly, it's a great move. This is one of the areas we needed somebody. I mean come on, we just lost Rossum who we picked up to do this same job. Everybody always complains we don't do schiat in FA, but when we do you're not satisfied. I don't get it. :scratch:

JensK
03-05-2008, 05:56 PM

NO!!

He's an NFC Bum!!

He had an amazing season a couple of years ago! He was well over 1.000yard, but when you have Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson it is rather hard to show that you can do something special. So yes, i for one actually expect that he does some special for us on the return game! Im not saying that he is anywhere close Hester or anything, but Moore is a big upgrade for us in the return game, compared to last year.

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM

I hear ya, don't want to become the Vikings.

Ambridge
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Give me a break with the arguement that he's a Kick Return Specialist....(He's an average punt and kickoff return guy at best and not to be confused with a Devon Hester........or a 3rd down/short yardage back.....Let him grow another 2 or 3 inches and put on another 25lbs.......or a role player......Yeah....bring him in on 2 point conversions.

He's a second tier player along the likes of Verron Haynes.....OH Yeah....he's still on the roster too isn't he??

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Give me a break with the arguement that he's a Kick Return Specialist....(He's an average punt and kickoff return guy at best and not to be confused with a Devon Hester........or a 3rd down/short yardage back.....Let him grow another 2 or 3 inches and put on another 25lbs.......or a role player......Yeah....bring him in on 2 point conversions.

He's a second tier player along the likes of Verron Haynes.....OH Yeah....he's still on the roster too isn't he??

So what you are saying is he isn't Devin Hester...no ****...he isn't Willie Parker either, but I still like this signing.

He creates competition, which is huge, you have a 3rd down back position that is supposedly open. Competition makes everyone better, maybe this will finally light that fire under Dookie's *** that we have all been waiting for. I for one would love to see Parker, Dookie, Moore, as our 3 RBS. Thats 3 guys with starting experience. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Quick note
Our top 3 RB's career YPC's

Parker: 4.4
Dookie: 4.7
Moore: 4.9

Btw, who here said that Moore has rushed for 1,000 yards in a season, I checked...he hasn't.

K Train
03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
he had 1001 yards rushing/receiving in 05 662 rushing and 339 receiving

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Who the **** said he was Devon Hester?.....Nobody ever compared him to Hester.....Just a few years ago Moore had over 1000 combined yards rushing and receiving.....So he is a good football player.....He will be the 3rd down back...Faulk has been key for Brady over the years as his bail out guy at times....So Moore has the potential to do that...

As for the return game....I'm not expecting him to be great...But he can do it.....Plus this signing doesn't cost the Steelers to much...lol Don't understand the bitching about this signing...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
At this point any guy who doesn't fumble and gets us 10 yds per return is an improvement over what we've had the last 2 years. Plus he came at a bargain price, he's young, hungry,and has a lot of potential. I like this signing a lot.

Ambridge
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
So what you are saying is he isn't Devin Hester...no shiat...he isn't Willie Parker either, but I still like this signing.

He creates competition, which is huge, you have a 3rd down back position that is supposedly open. Competition makes everyone better, maybe this will finally light that fire under Dookie's *** that we have all been waiting for. I for one would love to see Parker, Dookie, Moore, as our 3 RBS. Thats 3 guys with starting experience. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Quick note
Our top 3 RB's career YPC's

Parker: 4.4
Dookie: 4.7
Moore: 4.9

Btw, who here said that Moore has rushed for 1,000 yards in a season, I checked...he hasn't.

I mentioned Devin Hester in a Sarcastic comparison...again the guy is a mediocre player who has played in a weak conference and on a regularly pathetic team.......I wouldn't consider him a high quality player to drive the competition.

If you're going to compare YPC's you need to show the number of attempts as well.

Parker-945
Davenport-384
Moore-264

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
At this point any guy who doesn't fumble and gets us 10 yds per return is an improvement over what we've had the last 2 years. Plus he came at a bargain price, he's young, hungry,and has a lot of potential. I like this signing a lot.
Exactly...plus we don't have the cap space to go after most of the over rated FA's on the market. If we can get someone on the cheap who fits our system and is a definite upgrade from last year then so be it.

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I mentioned Devin Hester in a Sarcastic comparison...again the guy is a mediocre player who has played in a weak conference and on a regularly pathetic team.......I wouldn't consider him a high quality player to drive the competition.

If you're going to compare YPC's you need to show the number of attempts as well.

Parker-945
Davenport-384
Moore-264

He is better than what we have had returning kicks.

I listed YPC simply to show that we have 3 backs in the backfield who have over 4 yards per carry over their careers. I dont think Moore is better than Dookie or Willie, I just think he can push Dookie for playing time.

Ambridge
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM

I listed YPC simply to show that we have 3 backs in the backfield who have over 4 yards per carry over their careers. I dont think Moore is better than Dookie or Willie, I just think he can push Dookie for playing time.

Maybe he'll show something that he didn't in Minnesota???
Hopefully he does.

steelcityrockers
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

I am 94% sure that Moore is better than Dookie. Moore has GREAT hands and can pass block very well. He is a slippery runner and plays his size unlike Dookie.

K Train
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
i still like davenport alot....whos got great speed and hands as well. the pass blocking is where im not gonna miss najeh

GoBenGo
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
i still like davenport alot....whos got great speed and hands as well. the pass blocking is where im not gonna miss najeh i just don't think we saw naj's best...utilizin that speed and those hands out in the flat and swings...not trying to make him the next bus...we still lack that bulldozer hardyard back...fwp aint it...and that was not naj's forte..least not here...i wanna see a bigazz morris/bettis/foster type back that fwp can compliment...get on the supps fwp:ktrain:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
i still like davenport alot....whos got great speed and hands as well. the pass blocking is where im not gonna miss najeh

I don't think Davenport is going anywhere this year....I'm sure he will be the top backup to Parker this year.....Moore will be the 3rd down back and spell the other from time to time....

You're right Davenport has nice speed for a man his size and has good hands....He does struggle with blitz pickup....

steelcityrockers
03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh come on. WE DO NOT NEED A BIG BACK FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 10:09 PM

lol...is there someone else in your head?

K Train
03-05-2008, 10:10 PM
i just don't think we saw naj's best...utilizin that speed and those hands out in the flat and swings...not trying to make him the next bus...we still lack that bulldozer hardyard back...fwp aint it...and that was not naj's forte..least not here...i wanna see a bigazz morris/bettis/foster type back that fwp can compliment...get on the supps fwp:ktrain:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

things like this make me lose respect for people

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
first things first.....fix the o-line so our backs don't have to stay in and pass protect all the time. Whatever back we have that can catch out of the backfield, whether its Najeh or M&M, Ben needs to learn how to use that. It does no good to have all these backs, if we can't use them to their potential. We all know the OL needs to be fixed thats a dead horse a million times over. The main thing and the only thing I care about as far as M&M is his return ability, granted not great but he is consistently good. Its also a area of need thats not really a priority in the draft anymore.

K Train
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
i like how you didnt even include willie in the conversation of catching out of the backfield lol.

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
i like how you didnt even include willie in the conversation of catching out of the backfield lol.
lol yeah we all know why lol thats the thing with Willie, hes one dimensional...speed. If he could add to his game especially receiving then other teams would have something more to worry about.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
first things first.....fix the o-line so our backs don't have to stay in and pass protect all the time. Whatever back we have that can catch out of the backfield, whether its Najeh or M&M, Ben needs to learn how to use that. It does no good to have all these backs, if we can't use them to their potential. We all know the OL needs to be fixed thats a dead horse a million times over. The main thing and the only thing I care about as far as M&M is his return ability, granted not great but he is consistently good. Its also a area of need thats not really a priority in the draft anymore.

See I just don't want to pin all our hopes on Moore being the return man...I still think it would be wise maybe to draft a player that can play a position and also serve as a return man....If one isn't drafted then bring in a undrafted FA....If Moore gets hurt or just stinks up as a return guy then again there will be a void....I still would like to see Holmes get some return action...But that seems to be a pipe dream.....

If Moore could be an awesome 3rd back then I will be happy...If he is consistent in the return then thats just gravy...

GoBenGo
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
things like this make me lose respect for people
not intentional...imho i feel with the line in the state it is in, a back that can break through a tackle or 2 is a huge advantage...i didn't want to bring up the tired line woe...we call on our backs alot..they get hit at the line or behind it alot..least last year...fwp's speed could be a bigger factor outside...but that's another tired argument...i guess i just miss the bus

K Train
03-05-2008, 10:43 PM
your never gonna see another bus...he was special...his footwork and vision were out of this world, and he had a badass line. throwing a fat dude back there would give us less yards and a big target in the backfield

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 10:51 PM
See I just don't want to pin all our hopes on Moore being the return man...I still think it would be wise maybe to draft a player that can play a position and also serve as a return man....If one isn't drafted then bring in a undrafted FA....If Moore gets hurt or just stinks up as a return guy then again there will be a void....I still would like to see Holmes get some return action...But that seems to be a pipe dream.....

If Moore could be an awesome 3rd back then I will be happy...If he is consistent in the return then thats just gravy...

I hear ya and I agree, I seriously doubt Reid (if he even makes the team) or any other lower tier player beats out M&M for being the return guy though. Signing M&M does give us more options in the draft and if we sign Hadnot from Miami, it gives us even more options. We do need a CB and a WR and if we can draft a CB/KR or even a WR/KR, then I'll be tickled. FA isn't over with yet, so it will be interesting who else we sign if any. All that will point to the draft, if we can add good, consistent guys through FA then we have the luxury of actually drafting BAA.

K Train
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
i want hadnot so bad...

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
i guess i just miss the bus
We all do one way or another, but it's time to move on.:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I hear ya and I agree, I seriously doubt Reid (if he even makes the team) or any other lower tier player beats out M&M for being the return guy though. Signing M&M does give us more options in the draft and if we sign Hadnot from Miami, it gives us even more options. We do need a CB and a WR and if we can draft a CB/KR or even a WR/KR, then I'll be tickled. FA isn't over with yet, so it will be interesting who else we sign if any. All that will point to the draft, if we can add good, consistent guys through FA then we have the luxury of actually drafting BAA.

Its to bad about Willie Reid.......I have given up hope on him as well.....Hell yea Moore gives us options....I don't think he will be a total failure as a return guy also...I just know since Randle El left the Steelers have been hard pressed to find a replacement in the return game....So I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers.........

DIESELMAN
03-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Its to bad about Willie Reid.......I have given up hope on him as well.....Hell yea Moore gives us options....I don't think he will be a total failure as a return guy also...I just know since Randle El left the Steelers have been hard pressed to find a replacement in the return game....So I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers.........

Notice how slowly but surely a lot of Cowhers "projects" are moving on to the soup line? lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2008, 11:04 PM

The problem is right now we really don't know what kind of potential we have in these back of ours other than FWP. Carey Davis is ok blocker but not great and he can catch out of the backfield. Davis is a complete unknown. Najeh is decent but last year he showed both signs of brilliance and being completely average. Now we add M&M to the mix to be another compliment and the return guy and we have a group of guys that really don't have a niche on this team completely beyond the starters. Hopefully camp and preseason can set a clear cut line of who is doing what so we're not giving FWP all the carries and leaving everybody else out in the cold.

We would be wise to bring in somebody else to return kicks for us as well because we certainly just can't do into the season with 1 guy. Najeh can do it in a pinch and he's ok at it and Willie Reid, well unless he has a total 180 degree turn around he won't even make the team.

steelcityrockers
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Should have quoted. It was in response to GoBenGo's statement of how we need somone fat in the backfield.

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
i want hadnot so bad...

Sadly it's not going to happen. He left with out signing a contract. Not over yet, but we just don't have the money.