PDA

View Full Version : Ben signed, sealed, and delivered...$102 Million Extension

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Just got the text from KDKA...

Big Ben Signs $102 Million Extension With Steelers

http://kdka.com/local/Ben.Roethlisberger.deal.2.667707.html

Bob Pompeani

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― KDKA's Bob Pompeani has learned that the Steelers have signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a six-year extension worth $102 million.

That means Big Ben will be with the team at least eight more years because he has two years left on his previous deal.

Roethlisberger gets a $25 million signing bonus and an additional $11 million guarantee for a total of $36 in guaranteed money.

The new Big Ben deal will make him, by far, the highest paid player in franchise history.

The $102 million figure is double that of the previous highest Steelers deal according to Pompeani.

The new deal will be announced later today.

Roethlisberger has a terrific four year resume and last year proved that the previous season was an aberration.

He has emerged as a top tier quarterback and will now be paid accordingly.

Pompeani also reports that when he spoke with Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert last month, they both indicated that signing Roethlisberger was their No. 1 off-season priority.

--------

Updated***

Video press conference link

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08063/862152-66.stm

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Money well spent .... :yellowthumb:

Big Ben reportedly gets 8-year extension
Steelers quarterback will be paid $102 million $36 million guaranteed
SportsTicker
updated 9:28 a.m. ET, Mon., March. 3, 2008

Ben Roethlisberger will apparently be staying with the Pittsburgh Steelers for a long time to come.

ESPN.com reported Monday that the Pro Bowl quarterback has agreed an eight-year contract worth $102 million, a deal that would make Roethlisberger one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL.

According to the ESPN report, the contract includes more than $36 million in guaranteed money. The Indianapolis Colts gave Peyton Manning a $34.5 million signing bonus and the Atlanta Falcons gave Michael Vick $37 million in guarantees in deals signed in 2004.

An official announcement of the deal could come later Monday.

Roethlisberger turned 26 on Sunday. In 2007, he made the Pro Bowl after completing 264-of-404 passes for 3,154 yards with 32 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Roethlisberger also rushed for two touchdowns.

He finished the season with a 104.1 quarterback rating while leading the Steelers to an AFC North title.

Two years ago, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win the Super Bowl in NFL history, aged 23.

However, his 2006 season was marred by injury, including the after-effects of an offseason motorcycle accident in which Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet.

2008 PA SportsTicker
URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23446755/

DBR96A
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
After enduring Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham and Tommy Maddox at QB through the first 11 years that I followed the team, it's about time we found a good QB and kept him!

I think I'll wear my ROETHLISBERGER #7 jersey to class today! :D

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
:clap: AWESOME NEWS :clap: :bigthumb:

steelersgal86
03-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear it!!!! :yellowthumb::clap::clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I never thought I'd see the day when a Steeler player would sign a 100+ million dollar contract but the Rooneys came through and I'm sure made this as cap friendly as you can make a deal like this.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
A lone tear runs down my cheek after reading this post!!!! LOL, congrats to Big Ben... NOW EARN IT!!!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
WOOO HOOOO !!:bounce2::partytime::woot::jump1::party5:
:woodson:

black an gold 4 life
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
A lone tear runs down my cheek after reading this post!!!! LOL, congrats to Big Ben... NOW EARN IT!!!!!

i'm with u on this one, that's 2 much money an i don't believe he's worth it:evilshake:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
i'm with u on this one, that's 2 much money an i don't believe he's worth it:evilshake:

Well my tear was a tear of Joy... although i hate the thought of the steelers paying ANYONE this much money, in todays market he is worth every penny of that 102 million!!!! They couldnt pay him much less and expect this deal to get done!!!!

portcityblackandgold
03-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Maybe this will be his incentive to work with the WR's and TE's in the off season. So he can get to the next level as a QB.

Prosdo
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Great news for Steeler Nation. Nice to know Ben will be here for the long haul. Congrats Ben!

AZ_Steeler
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
:woot: :banana2: :woot:

Let's just hope he doesn't get the "Troy" syndrome ;)

:towelwave:

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
:woot: :banana2: :woot:

Let's just hope he doesn't get the "Troy" syndrome ;)

:towelwave:

Now Chris not a time to bring Negativity to the mix :nono: :lol:

GoBenGo
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
glad it is done and out of the way...not to be a distaction for 08...this is the best news i have heard in a while....locked him in and paid him his worth...
in it to win it...no wlet him concentrate on success in the upcoming season...

the rest of you long-timers can agree..suffered thru maddox, tomzak, stewart, malone, stoudt...glad to finalyy have a REAL qb..qnd one that merits his reward...

Thank you Mr Rooney

BlackGold4vr
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I knew they would get this deal done, they had to. Lot's of teams would have lined up to snatch him from us had they played the tightwads with his contract. This is a comforting transaction. Now we just need to beef up that O-line and protect our investment. I believe they will do that in this years draft. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Maybe this will be his incentive to work with the WR's and TE's in the off season. So he can get to the next level as a QB.

Ben worked alot with his weapons this past offseason and it his dedication showed in 2007 when he put up the best stats of any Steeler quarterback in team history and lifted this team to new levels in the passing game. Ben knows he is the leader of this team and we will go as far as he can take us; the front office knows this as well and has entrusted him as such.

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
If the Steelers get another Super Bowl or two out of this kid ..... this contract will be the deal of the century.

Win/Win for both sides IMO.

Captcoolhand
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Good to hear the great news.....Now if we can just get him some protection. :scratch:

I hope this doesn't mean we will be looking to the 4th-7th Rds to help with this.:2cents:

More and more is this years draft looking to be a critical one. Only time will tell.:dunno:

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm just glad we signed him. I hope there is some money left to keep some other guys we will need to keep!!
:tt02:Congrats Ben!!!! :tt02:

introyitrust
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm psyched! It's finally official and now the F.O. can focus on the draft and need for linemen.

This is an important day in Steeler history.

AZ_Steeler
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Now Chris not a time to bring Negativity to the mix :nono: :lol:

I know... I thought about that after I posted it, oh well :D

Does this deal start this year or after his current contract expires?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I know... I thought about that after I posted it, oh well :D

Does this deal start this year or after his current contract expires?

Usually the deals start right away. We can now rest easy knowing we have a franchise QB that is most likely going to finish his career in Pittsburgh :towelwave:

Here's his video...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08063/862152-66.stm

-------------

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a six-year extension worth $102 million.

That means Big Ben will be with the team at least eight more years because he has two years left on his previous deal.

Roethlisberger gets a $25 million signing bonus and an additional $11 million guarantee for a total of $36 in guaranteed money.

The new Big Ben deal will make him, by far, the highest paid player in franchise history.

"I'd like to say thank you to the Rooney family, the Steelers, Coach Tomlin, Omar, Kevin, my agents Ryan and Bruce, my teammates, my family. There are a lot of thank yous," said Roethlisberger. "As Mr. Rooney said, it was my birthday yesterday and this is a great birthday present to know that I'm going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for a long time. And I told him that I didn't want to go anywhere the day I walked in and that stays true. So I'm glad that I have the opportunity to be here a little bit longer and hopefully finish my career – do another one of these – and finish my career in the black and gold. "

Roethlisberger has a terrific four year resume and last year proved that the previous season was an aberration.

He has emerged as a top tier quarterback and will now be paid accordingly.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani also reports that when he spoke with Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert last month, they both indicated that signing Roethlisberger was their No. 1 off-season priority.

Roethlisberger went on to say the contract extension will allow him to help others as well.

"It's an opportunity now for me to get more involved in the community, more involved with foundations and helping other guys out as well as my own," said Roethlisberger. "Just trying to be a leader and a figure for the Pittsburgh Steelers for many years to come. So I'm very glad and thank you again to the Rooney Family."

The $102 million figure is double that of the previous highest Steelers deal according to Pompeani.

Steelersfan
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
After reading that is doesn't look like it takes the place of his current deal. Just an extension to it.

Glad they got it done though. Now to fix the damn o-line!

Stairwayto7
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Damn and I thought my daughter did well on her birthday! LOL

NOVA STEELERS
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
March 3, 2008

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger agreed to an eight-year, $102 million contract extension this morning. The $36 million in guaranteed money is a staggering figure -- especially for this franchise. :yesnod:

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo signed for $30 million in guarantees during the season, and Roethlisberger's representatives worked off that contract. The 26-year-old completed more than 65 percent of his passes and finished with a passer rating of 104.1 in 2007. :plus1:

The Steelers will apparently have a news conference to announce the new contract later today. The franchise had to do this sooner or later, and there was no reason to wait.

Roethlisberger had a nightmarish 2006 that began with his motorcycle accident. He bounced back and had a superb 2007 season, performing like a top-five quarterback in the league. He's now the richest man in the history of the franchise.

In talking to members of the organization this season, the most impressive thing about Roethlisberger's performance was that he was playing behind a suspect offensive line. His ability to improvise and make smart decisions under constant pressure erased any doubt the club may have had about his future.

Teams can't afford to let their franchise quarterbacks get anywhere close to free agency, and with two years left on Roethlisberger's original contract, the Steelers did the right thing. Look around the league right now. You don't see teams making playoff runs with a mediocre quarterback at the helm. :clap:

At this point, I think Roethlisberger is the fifth-best quarterback in the league. I'd love to see your top five. I'll provide mine at some point. :yellowthumb:

Couldn't have said it better myself :yesnod:

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Great news, now let's get back to work!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Is anybody really worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so....But I don't care we needed to keep Big Ben....Plus he won't see 100 million dollars....Only 36 million of it is guaranteed.....For the few that is complaining about this contract...Yes lets not resign Ben and go back to the bums at QB like O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox....So have a nice glass of STFU for the few that is hating on this contract....

Congrats Rooney's.....You got the deal done way before then I though you would....I thought this was going to be a nasty and heated battle like when Hines Ward's contract was up....

Silverback 92
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
OMG Thats great news and its Monday , thats strange.....

stillers4me
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I read that Ben gave his Superbowl ring to his dad.

That leads me to believe that he is planning on replenishing his supply. :greengrin:

I'm relieved and overjoyed to know that he plans on doing it Pittsburgh. :yellowthumb:

Congrats and Happy Birthday, Ben Roethli$berger! :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Is anybody really worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so....But I don't care we needed to keep Big Ben....Plus he won't see 100 million dollars....Only 36 million of it is guaranteed.....For the few that is complaining about this contract...Yes lets not resign Ben and go back to the bums at QB like O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox....So have a nice glass of STFU for the few that is hating on this contract....

Congrats Rooney's.....You got the deal done way before then I though you would....I thought this was going to be a nasty and heated battle like when Hines Ward's contract was up....

Very true, there's nobody in sports that should be paid that much money to play a game but the fact is if we didn't pay him somebody else would have in a hot second. Todays sports is what it is and the Rooney's stepped up to the plate to help ensure that we have a top notch QB for a good long time. Anybody who thinks Ben's deal was not a good one really needs to step back and realize today's NFL isn't like yesterday's league. As the salary cap continues to go up (hopefully we still have one) in the coming years there will be more and more 100+ million dollar players and Ben certainly deserves to be part of that group.

"He's a Steeler," team chairman Dan Rooney said. "He'll always be a Steeler."

yinzer
03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

you're smoking crack.

K Train
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
to me hes shown hes worth it and has earned it...congrats to him, now keep it up and make yourself the best

floodcitygirl
03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Definately great news! I got the text while sitting at a training seminar....had a hard time containing myself. :banana:

swissvale72
03-04-2008, 07:50 AM
First the good. Should Ben be paid as an elite QB....a Top 3 or Top 5? Yes he should.

Look at it simply:

2004: Ben wins 14 games in a row
2005: Ben wins an SB
2006: I give him a pass. A life-threatening accident, an appendectomy, a concussion later...what would one expect. Granted Ben didn't use it as an excuse; reflects his character
2007: Ben's breakout statistical year

At one time, Yards per Attempt was the only measure used to rank QBs. Ben's YPA has been good to superior, 8.9 each of his first 2 years, dipped to 7.5 in '06, was 7.7-7.9 last year (I forget, and I'm not searching).

The bad:
No wish list for Ben, 'cause all the dough went his way. I predicted a backloaded deal with $32 mil in the last two years. I was wrong. Last two year's aren't much different from the middle, about $26 mil there, versus about $23 in any middle two years.

Okay....this will be anathema to many, but.....talk all the **** you want about Brady, but he did accept a deal that left his team resources to put pay other guys. Brady had some credibility when he called out Patriots management after Deion Branch left, and he had a gang of hobos to throw to. Sorry....Ben can't try that. Just look at the PG headlines..."Steelers break bank...," something to that effect.

Glad he's locked up......dissappointed it's for that much. Good thing the guy's used to being knocked on his ***...likely be a good deal more of that in his future.

JoeThomas
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
its a good move. i think they overpaid but they have there guy for a long time. was worth it.

DIESELMAN
03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Damn good to hear!!! In this day and age you gotta spend that money if you want to keep your franchise QB.

steelerschick1220
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Congrats to Ben. I'm glad the Rooney's paid him and that we have him locked up as our QB for many years to come. There is no one else I would want on my team right now.

NOVA STEELERS
03-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Yesterday's contract numbers sent Hefren-Tillotson's Mr. McGee, for one, to his calculator. "The first thing that popped in my mind was, 'OK, you got this huge contract. You got all this money. How does that break out at a per-game basis?'" By Mr. McGee's computations, a 20-game schedule -- regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl---- would break down to $10,625 per minute, "whether the defense or offense is on the field." Using Mr. Roethlisberger's stats from last season, it also comes out to $31,875 per pass attempt and $398,437.50 per touchdown. -- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not a bad day at the office :evilshake: It's actually pretty sad when you look at the big picture, Men and Women lay there life on the line every day in the Military, Law Enforcement, FireFighter etc... and don't make that in a career. But yet if you can throw, catch or run with a ball to play a game you are set for life, just doesn't seem right :scratch: :dunno: Am I the only one who feels that way :dunno:

Part II
Look at it this way, as Hefren-Tillotson senior vice president Kenny McGee did: If Mr. Roethlisberger takes the signing bonus alone, roughly half of which will go to federal, state and local taxes, and invests the remaining $12.6 million in a portfolio that makes 9 percent annually before taxes, he could become a $100 million man. "Tax it, take it, invest it and grow it," Mr. McGee said. "By the time he's 60 ---- and I think he'll be retired by then -- he'll have $100 million. Capitalism at its best." -- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dang, give me 1% of that :evilshake:

yinzer
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
we get it... Ben has a lot of money. so what? he deserves it. should i digress about the train wreck qb's we've been STUCK with for decades to remind everybody?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
If I could have just 10 minutes of his salary I'd be happy as a lark :lol:

AZ_Steeler
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
If I could have just 10 minutes of his salary I'd be happy as a lark :lol:

10 minutes :eyecrazy: Give me 5 minutes and I'm happy! :D

TEEMONT
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I think it's a known fact that athlete's are overpaid, so what. If they weren't then the owners would be. The only way to kill it would have been to avoid free-agency, and keep ticket prices lower. The players are the ones doing the entertaining so naturally they should be getting a piece of the overpaid pie.

Blitzburghpete
03-09-2008, 09:21 AM
For all the times we've bemoaned the tight rooney family for not splashing the cash in FA or on players i think they deserve credit for having the balls to spend this much cash on Ben who - was our sole reason for being in the playoffs last year and lets face it on course to become a HOF QB - the stats don't lie .....
$102 i think is worth every cent!