PDA

View Full Version : Browns Moves Put Steelers On Defensive

Deb
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Browns Moves Put Steelers On Defensive

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2008/03/shaun-rogers-tackle.jpg

We can debate the long-term wisdom of the Browns' decision (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/02/the-cleveland-browns-think-draft-picks-are-almost-as-overrated-a/) to give up the entire first day of their 2008 draft, but make no mistake, the moves the Browns have made in the past couple of weeks will give the Steelers plenty of problems when they teams play twice next season.

Last year Cleveland had a good offense, thanks to Derek Anderson, an outstanding offensive line and a solid receiver corps, but its defense was several steps behind, thanks in part to an extremely mediocre defensive line. That was a big reason the Steelers ended up winning the division while the Browns were sitting home come playoff time.

But by adding Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams, Cleveland appears to have fixed the defensive line problems. If they can find a better complement to Kamerion Wimberly at outside linebacker they should have most of their defensive problems licked.

Rogers especially should give Steelers fans, and Willie Parker, reasons to worry from now until September. Although he's not always the most motivated player, Rogers is a nimble 340 pounds, capable of destroying running plays and also sacking the quarterback. And now he'll be playing nose tackle, he'll be lining up over the Steelers center. As of today, that's still Sean Mahan, the same center who got picked up and tossed into the backfield by nose tackles around the league last year. With little cap room, the Steelers don't seem capable of really fixing their center problem this offseason (unless Kendall Simmons is a significantly better center than guard), which means there's plenty of reasons to worry that Rogers is going to create havoc when the Steelers face the Brownies next year.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/03/browns-moves-put-steelers-on-defensive/#cont)

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
They are still the brownies !!

DIESELMAN
03-03-2008, 09:29 AM
The only problem, however, is that when teams start packaging a bunch of draft picks, they're basically saying, "we're playing for next season; we'll worry about the future, um, in the future." Fair enough. The only problem is that if Williams or Rogers don't work out, the team is out a lot of coin and a second- or third-rounder.
That says it all right there. I'm pretty confident we'll fix our OL problems and the Brownies will realize that trading your future for "now" is not the way to be successful in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
:blah: just another year of the Browns fans yapping about how great they are and how they'll win the division, they are better than we are.... :sleepy:

Get over it guys, you haven't even played a down yet and already they will crowning themselves division champs.

That thread title makes me want to :barf:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah im snoozing on this one too... I like Rogers alot and Corey Williams had a "solid" year with GB... but this team is "to me" a flash in the pan team, much like the 05-06 bengals!!! Last year was as good as it gets for the browns due to the fact that there will be injurys and they still dont have depth... They will be a good team but i still dont expect them to be a "serious" contender... Being 2nd place in the AFCN in 08 wont mean much as the ravens and bungles will prob. regress even further than last year!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah im snoozing on this one too... I like Rogers alot and Corey Williams had a "solid" year with GB... but this team is "to me" a flash in the pan team, much like the 05-06 bengals!!! Last year was as good as it gets for the browns due to the fact that there will be injurys and they still dont have depth... They will be a good team but i still dont expect them to be a "serious" contender... Being 2nd place in the AFCN in 08 wont mean much as the ravens and bungles will prob. regress even further than last year!!!!

I agree not having any draft picks in the first 3 rounds it will hurt the Browns depth wise not only this year but for years to come if these free agents they signed in Stallworth and Williams and Rogers. The Browns keep in mind lost Lee Bodden as well one of their better corners. So while the Steelers schedule might be the toughest in the league next year I think they still are the team to beat right now in this division until the Browns beat the Steelers on the field and prove otherwise. Derek Anderson has yet to prove himself so will see if this guy is for real next year or a flash in the pan. That will determine a lot on how far the Browns go and improve for next year.

SteelerSteve
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I do think that we shouldn't take this team lightly, and while I am sure we will still own this division, the browns are really the best competition our division can give us. I have a feeling it will probably be: Steelers
Browns
Bengals
Ravens

Stairwayto7
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow they had such a great season winning against only ONE team with a better than .500 record. WOW! Over rated!

kgreen
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I do think that we shouldn't take this team lightly, and while I am sure we will still own this division, the browns are really the best competition our division can give us. I have a feeling it will probably be: Steelers
Browns
Bengals
Ravens

I agree they give us fits at the end of the year this past year and whos to say they won't do it again this year. They have everyone back. I think they be good enough to win the division, but we are better. The Bungles won't put up a fight and the Rats are in a transition year. the Browns are the only team that can challenge us right now.

I think it'll be:
-Steelers
-Browns
-Ravens
-Bengals

SteelerSteve
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I agree they give us fits at the end of the year this past year and whos to say they won't do it again this year. They have everyone back. I think they be good enough to win the division, but we are better. The Bungles won't put up a fight and the Rats are in a transition year. the Browns are the only team that can challenge us right now.

I think it'll be:
-Steelers
-Browns
-Ravens
-Bengals Yeah, I am really torn between who will be worse, the Bengals or the Ravens? the funny thing is that these teams were considered to be the two fighting for the division this season and the Steelers and Browns would be the ones fighting for the scraps.

Stairwayto7
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM

I think it'll be:
-Steelers
-Browns
-Ravens
-Bengals

The second game against them. They had a special teams TD, and another set up by ST. Other than that they had a first down on the opening drive and not another until the last drive of the game. They had like 143 total yards of O. They beat nobody and proved nothing to me. Did they get better yes, but aginst nobody this year they get the tough schedule

kgreen
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I am really torn between who will be worse, the Bengals or the Ravens? the funny thing is that these teams were considered to be the two fighting for the division this season and the Steelers and Browns would be the ones fighting for the scraps.

Yeah the critics always overrate the Rats and Bungles. They never learn their lesson:nono:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

The second game against them. They had a special teams TD, and another set up by ST. Other than that they had a first down on the opening drive and not another until the last drive of the game. They had like 143 total yards of O. They beat nobody and proved nothing to me. Did they get better yes, but aginst nobody this year they get the tough schedule

Still........we shouldn't shove them aside like they are the Dolphins or something. They will play for the division.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Stop the presses the stains might contend next year. Yeah you can tell it is the off season. :lol:

Stairwayto7
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah the critics always overrate the Rats and Bungles. They never learn their lesson:nono:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Still........we shouldn't shove them aside like they are the Dolphins or something. They will play for the division.

I will not compare them to the fins. the fins were pathetic, they werent even trying to win.

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
OK, guess the Browns don't play any other team next season except the
Steelers. If the Browns make there moves just to beat the Steelers, they are dumber than I thought. I'll donate our 2 games to them if that's all they win next season and go 2-14. Sure glad the Steelers don't make the same moves just to beat 1 team.

dawgs
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Steelers. If the Browns make there moves just to beat the Steelers, they are dumber than I thought. I'll donate our 2 games to them if that's all they win next season and go 2-14. Sure glad the Steelers don't make the same moves just to beat 1 team.

wow you think that low of your team?? You guys talk about how great the steelers are. So if the browns build to beat the steelers then they should be able to beat other teams as well.

SteelerSteve
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
wow you think that low of your team?? You guys talk about how great the steelers are. So if the browns build to beat the steelers then they should be able to beat other teams as well.lol it would **** me off if a team that went two and fourteen got its only wins against us.

blackngold29
08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
The Browns' propaganda machine cranks new stuff out every year, but there's only one thing that matters: the final score of the game. We could break stuff down for the next ten years, but as long as the Stillers are at the top I couldn't care less what order the divisions ends up in.

Phenomenal TJ
08-09-2008, 10:31 AM
lol it would **** me off if a team that went two and fourteen got its only wins against us.

Can't imagine how Baltimore feels :lol:

Anyway, the Browns had us dead to rights last year, and they couldn't get it done. It's the same team, and they seem to have a mental block on beating us, since they haven't done it since 2003.

The Browns secondary is a joke. The Linebackers are solid, but McGinest is old. Wimbley takes horrible pursuit angles, the only one I give complete props to is Davis. The defensive line is subpar, even with Shaun Rogers, who's not exactly in the kind of shape to chase Ben around in the backfield.

dawgs
08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Can't imagine how Baltimore feels :lol:

Anyway, the Browns had us dead to rights last year, and they couldn't get it done. It's the same team, and they seem to have a mental block on beating us, since they haven't done it since 2003.

The Browns secondary is a joke. The Linebackers are solid, but McGinest is old. Wimbley takes horrible pursuit angles, the only one I give complete props to is Davis. The defensive line is subpar, even with Shaun Rogers, who's not exactly in the kind of shape to chase Ben around in the backfield.

wow everything here is wrong. Im not even being a homer, Anyone with knowledge can see how wrong you are.

1. this is not the same team as last season.
A. new def coach.
B. new def line.
C. more experience, it was andersons first full year.

2. What part of the browns secondary is a joke?? the starters looked real good, And don't say anything about the 2 big plays the browns gave up against the jets, Because the guy who got burned will be cleaning houses after preseason.

3. wimbley is a very good LB, made some great plays the other night. Last season he was taking on 2 OL plus the RB every play. Not no more. davis is are worse LB by the way. mcGinest is old but he is first down guy. Still a very good run stopper.

4. What is wrong with the browns DL? Im guessing u watched none of the preseason game when the jets could hardly get past the line of scrimmage.

5. Rogers is in better shape then people think. This guy has speed for his size. So in a race of course ben would win, but rogers can chase him around the field.

Don't go by last season. New season, everybodys record is 0-0, and every person has a new chance to show how hard they worked in the off-season. lets see what they got.

SteelerSteve
08-09-2008, 09:05 PM
wow everything here is wrong. Im not even being a homer, Anyone with knowledge can see how wrong you are.

A. new def coach.
B. new def line.

2. What part of the browns secondary is a joke?? the starters looked real good, And don't say anything about the 2 big plays the browns gave up against the jets, Because the guy who got burned will be cleaning houses after preseason.

3. wimbley is a very good LB, made some great plays the other night. Last season he was taking on 2 OL plus the RB every play. Not no more. davis is are worse LB by the way. mcGinest is old but he is first down guy. Still a very good run stopper.

4. What is wrong with the browns DL? Im guessing u watched none of the preseason game when the jets could hardly get past the line of scrimmage.

5. Rogers is in better shape then people think. This guy has speed for his size. So in a race of course ben would win, but rogers can chase him around the field.

Don't go by last season. New season, everybodys record is 0-0, and every person has a new chance to show how hard they worked in the off-season. lets see what they got.I agree that going by last season isn't right, but were going by what has happened pretty much every season since the 1990's, save a couple rare cases and we own the browns and this division. I may sound arrogant but it the cold hard truth.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 09:07 PM
wow you think that low of your team?? You guys talk about how great the steelers are. So if the browns build to beat the steelers then they should be able to beat other teams as well.

No, but I don't want the Steelers drafting and practicing just to beat the Browns. There is 14 other teams that we have to worry about.

SteelerSteve
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
No, but I don't want the Steelers drafting and practicing just to beat the Browns. There is 14 other teams that we have to worry about.
Yep and most of the teams on the schedule are better than the browns, so once the steelers get done with some tougher opponents, we'll be more than ready to take on the flashy overrated browns.

dawgs
08-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Yep and most of the teams on the schedule are better than the browns.

wow, whats the lottery numbers??

SteelerSteve
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM

A. new def coach.
B. new def line.

Don't go by last season. New season, everybodys record is 0-0, and every person has a new chance to show how hard they worked in the off-season. lets see what they got.
Wow! Everything you said was pretty much wrong and it all starts with you basing most of your opinions on a preseason game lol.

1.)New defensive coach and new defensive coach and d line means that they will take a while to gel as a unit and figure out how they work best together.

2.)Okay, the db's looked "really good" lol but it was the Jets, it'll take alot more than a decent preseason performance against the Jets O to convince me they are anymore than below average.

3.)Wimbley is okay, but the other lb's dont scare me at all.

4.)D-line, see number 2. Its the ****ing Jets!!!!!

5.)Okay, the thought of Rodgers chasing Ben around the field is pretty humorous, even if he did get to him he probably wouldn't bring him down Ben would just shrug him off, he would need another defensive player or two to bring him down. Rodger's only chance would be a blindside hit lol.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

wow, whats the lottery numbers??
Pats,Colts,Chargers,Cowboys, Jags just to name a handful that are better than the browns

dawgs
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
steelersteve

1. not when are new def coach was are DB coach. the whole team knows him already and tucker knows the system, but will take most of preseason just to get his feet wet.

2. So the browns corners should suck because the jets are not a real good team?? You play who the leauge tells you to. B-mac made a GREAT tackle to force a 4th and inches, which rogers stuffed.

3. wimbleys a beat. jackson is a speed demon who hits hard. jackson had over 100 tackles last season and was hurt a good part of it. davis is one of the smarter LB's in the leauge, this is his year to show what he gots. other outside spot is a concern, but if this alex hall kid who is 6'5 255 could play like he has been in camp, then we got a huge steal in the 7th round.

4. see 2 also.

5. ROGERS IS 6'4 365POUNDS. all he needs to do is grab ben and just fall. Plus its a 3-4 def, if rogers forces ben to the outside, thats where the 4 LB's come into play. among other things.

All those teams are better then the steelers also.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Steve..you gotta just let the Browns fans go. This is the only time of year they can walk around with their head held high.We all know once the season starts the huge hand of reality comes slapping..and it's the Browns that get the first pimp smack of the season.Even when they do have a winning season everyone makes it a point to say it's the surprise of the season...a surprise that the Browns are actually good. Granted, they have gotten better,but, and i mean a Casey Hampton size But, Until they win atleast a few division championships, and do it consistantly they are and never will be on our level.They know, we know it..and they can throw all kinds of stats here and there but the bottom line is they are still the shiat stains on the backside of our 5 time Super Bowl Champs Underwear.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Agreed! Seems the Browns are only obsessed with beating the Steelers!! What a bunch of morons, we will beat them again and again and again. They maybe getting a little better each year but until they get to ONE playoff game all that talk don't mean shiat!!! :nono:

dawgs
08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I like how everyone keeps saying browns fans are talking ****. look just on this page alone I got this.

1. Yep and most of the teams on the schedule are better than the browns.

2. we'll be more than ready to take on the flashy overrated browns.

3. it's the Browns that get the first pimp smack of the season.

4. a surprise that the Browns are actually good.

5. and do it consistantly they are and never will be on our level.

6. still the shiat stains on the backside of our 5 time Super Bowl Champs Underwear.(you have **** stains on your underwear?)

7. What a bunch of morons.

thats only a few. So STOP saying browns fans are talking all kinds of crap. Because you guys are doing all of it right now.

by the way, browns also have 5 championships, which was the superbowl. I don't care long long ago it was, still counts.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I like how everyone keeps saying browns fans are talking shiat. look just on this page alone I got this.

6. still the shiat stains on the backside of our 5 time Super Bowl Champs Underwear.(you have shiat stains on your underwear?)

thats only a few. So STOP saying browns fans are talking all kinds of crap. Because you guys are doing all of it right now.

by the way, browns also have 5 championships, which was the superbowl. I don't care long long ago it was, still counts.

The reason is because you are coming on this board talking how great your Browns are...ok yes we've all admitted that you are getting to be a much better team..I admit that but the Browns are not Steeler caliber as i've said in another post, You don't have 5 SB's like the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers etc... look everyone loves their own teams but you can't come onto a Steelers message board talking alot of crap and not expect to get it back. We love fans of other teams who come on here to enjoy football talk, that's one thing that's made this board special, but until your team has done something solid more than one year you have to expect people to say these things. Let's just enjoy football!!

dawgs
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I never said they were great. But we are contenders now and not pretenders thats for sure. I have only really been defending my team.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I never said they were great. But we are contenders now and not pretenders thats for sure. I have only really been defending my team.

Understandable..yes they are contenders, we are not doubting that. Good Luck to you this season.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Look man we all gave your team props for improving the past few years.:clap:But if you came here to feel all warm and fuzzy about your team then i advise you to hit up some Browns Forums.We respect all fans in here but this is SteelerAddicts....not BrownsGonnaBeGreatSomeday Addicts. If you think you can sit on here and talk up the Browns and not catch a rash of sh*t,then your crazy.

It's like you joined a Mustang club and wonder why everyone looked at you funny when you pulled up in your hoopty *** chevette.

But it does make the Steelers-Browns game that much more fun.:cope:

SteelerSteve
08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
steelersteve

1. not when are new def coach was are DB coach. the whole team knows him already and tucker knows the system, but will take most of preseason just to get his feet wet.

2. So the browns corners should suck because the jets are not a real good team?? You play who the leauge tells you to. B-mac made a GREAT tackle to force a 4th and inches, which rogers stuffed.

3. wimbleys a beat. jackson is a speed demon who hits hard. jackson had over 100 tackles last season and was hurt a good part of it. davis is one of the smarter LB's in the leauge, this is his year to show what he gots. other outside spot is a concern, but if this alex hall kid who is 6'5 255 could play like he has been in camp, then we got a huge steal in the 7th round.

4. see 2 also.

5. ROGERS IS 6'4 365POUNDS. all he needs to do is grab ben and just fall. Plus its a 3-4 def, if rogers forces ben to the outside, thats where the 4 LB's come into play. among other things.

All those teams are better then the steelers also. No, Just because the Jets arent good doesnt make the Browns suck. I said that playing decent against the Jets offense doesn't make them anything special, when they shut down a real offensive team then we'll talk. Rodgers just "grabbing" Ben is alot easier said than done lol. You really think that coaching DB's is the same as D-line? Theres always gonna be a transition period for a new coach. The D-line was not coached by this guy last year was he? didn't think so.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I like how everyone keeps saying browns fans are talking shiat. look just on this page alone I got this.

6. still the shiat stains on the backside of our 5 time Super Bowl Champs Underwear.(you have shiat stains on your underwear?)

by the way, browns also have 5 championships, which was the superbowl. I don't care long long ago it was, still counts. Jesus! We say these things because they are TRUE!!! Are you saying that the Browns werent a surprise last year? They arent on our level yet, until they prove it. Last year they didn't prove they are on our level yet, because we SWEPT them. The thing they proved last year is that yes they did improve, but still have to get a whole lot better to be an elite team, I dont care who you are but one 10-6 season doesn't solidify you as an elite team or franchise. About the pimp smack thing, what did you expect him to say, that the Browns will give Pitt the first pimp smack of the season? I would expect you to say that the Browns will win, and you should expect any steeler fan to say the steelers will beat the Browns. Oh and by the way, the Browns did win five nfl championships in the 50's but it wan't the superbowl, the superbowl didn't exist back then. If it is the same as the superbowl then where are all of their lombardi trophie's?

Stairwayto7
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM

A. new def coach.
B. new def line.

This is good stuff! LOL :rant2:

Dean Denton
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
This is good stuff! LOL :rant2:

Thats great. That was posted before my birth here on the forum so I never got to put in my 2 cents...how funny is that????? lol

Stairwayto7
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Thats great. That was posted before my birth here on the forum so I never got to put in my 2 cents...how funny is that????? lol

LOL, that was just a little out of him! He always called us "homers" when we tried to explain why our team was better. The truth is, it was just a fact. They showed a little last season, but against terrible teams. They were over rated and the tougher schedule proved it.

$teelersRule
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Dawgs was so dumb i almost want him to come back! he was always good for a laugh :lol:

Dean Denton
01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Browns should be better next season....lol

JoeThomas
01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
well he was kind of right on a few. some of 2, the corners played solid, the starters, mcginest actually played well and 5 with rogers. about the only bright spots. luckily he is right with the last one, next year everyone starts 0-0. im torn though with this game. who do i root against, haha. im thinking i wont root for or against anyone and just root for a good game.

Stairwayto7
01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
well he was kind of right on a few. some of 2, the corners played solid, the starters, mcginest actually played well and 5 with rogers. about the only bright spots. luckily he is right with the last one, next year everyone starts 0-0. im torn though with this game. who do i root against, haha. im thinking i wont root for or against anyone and just root for a good game.

yeah but these were mild, readd all of his. He talked smack about the browns, in the Steelers Only area of this site, then claimed that we were homers because we defended our team. He has ZERO credibility around here.

JT - your fine, you talk as if you kow football, we uderstand that your a browns fan, we don`t know why LOL, but at least you don`t make them out to be more than they are. It takes more than one descent season to make a team a contender. Look at cinci a few years back, playoffs. now where are they. 0ne playoff game in 18 years. but that season all the bungles fans were here, and we had to fight them all off. Same with the browns one descent season here and there and people like dawgs start coming around tooting thier horn. Come on get over it. Like i said JT you and BQ are alright in my book, and most here would agree. dawgs is just someone that wants to get arise out of everyone. he probably goes to all kinds of forums and does the same thing. Our team backed us up. If you looks ack at his posts, his knowledge is minimal, he ased everything off of a so so season where his team won some games against medicore teams.