PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Free Agency War Room: *crickets chirping*

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Well we're off and running on yet another FA period and as per usual it's just another hum drum day in the offseason as our beloved Steelers decide to do nothing...

Yeah I know, I get the whole "build through the draft" thing and I get the whole "most of the busy teams in FA early on are the ones who sucked the year before" and all that but damn wouldn't it be nice for us to actually go out and use FA to get some real quality players like we used too instead of being so stubborn and not utilizing the great talent that there is to be had out there to help our team. Just imagine if we could have gotten Faine, how that would sure up our OL and allow us to have 1 less thing to worry about..or Jerry Porter so we have a legit 4 man WR group right now and can bring along a draft pick in time..the list goes on and on and I guess Im just cynical at seeing all this talent go to teams other than us when we have holes that can be filled now and players that can be pushed harder for their starting jobs.

Building through the draft is priority #1, it always has been and that's the way it should be. Most of our team is draft picks but there is a lot of talent in FA that could come to Pittsburgh and help us out to complement our team.

AZ_Steeler
02-29-2008, 05:57 PM
The Steelers build through the draft.. :nahnah:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
The Steelers build through the draft.. :nahnah:

what's that you say, we let good talent slip away....oh ok :lol:

yinzer
02-29-2008, 08:34 PM
it will always be this way. i'm getting a little tired of it myself.

Stlrs4Life
02-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Ehhhh, no use beating a dead horse.

BlitzburghNation
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Ehhhh, no use beating a dead horse.

:ditto:

Stairwayto7
03-01-2008, 05:52 AM
The title of this thread is friggin hilarious! Still laughing!

This season, we need a few pieces to puzzle to be a legitimate contender. We need to act now, maybe not the first few days of FA. But atleast later in the week. There is not enough picks to fulfill our needs. Why waste any oppurtunity at all with Ben at the helm. Great QB`s do not come often in the Burgh. Hines Ward only has a couple years, at best , left in him. We need to act now.

yinzer
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
same situation every year with the same outcome... no quality FA's signed in the burgh. ho hum.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Berrian's gone, Justin Smith is gone, Stroud is gone, Faine is gone, any of the pipe dreams we all might have had for these guys are long gone...what else is new.

All I can say is we better get some depth on this team or we're going to be in serious trouble. This year it was exposed and now it's time to reload this team.

MOTORKRAFT
03-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Over priced free agents are not the Steeler way. However I hope the Steeler way doesn't blind the front office of a quality pick up.

JensK
03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
WEll atm, there is a lot going on which isnt the Steeler way. We pass the ball more than we run etc. No matter how much we loved the 70'th steelers, i think its about right time to move on, and realise that we may have to do a few things differend than the Steeler way, for example using the FA a little more. Imagine how it would be to get a FA starting center and drafting another one. Man we would be smocking, instead of this. Long term thinking is good, but i would still like to see them think on the current season aswell :(

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
03-02-2008, 12:29 AM
..Just read the Browns signed Donte Stallworth, just what they needed another offensive weapon.And what have we done so far??...hmmmm..an offer to Nate Washington..lol, another action packed FA period for us..good grief.

Stairwayto7
03-02-2008, 06:16 AM
..Just read the Browns signed Donte Stallworth, just what they needed another offensive weapon.And what have we done so far??...hmmmm..an offer to Nate Washington..lol, another action packed FA period for us..good grief.

Its to early for us, we let everyone spend the money, when the dust settles then we will grab another bench player. What we need is someone to cover kick offs. We better come up with a LB or another bench guy to fill those spots!

steelcitysfinestXL
03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
The Brown Jets and Bills are making moves in the AFC!!!We're sitting here with our thumb in our @ss!!!! I guess i knew it was coming, i hate FA weekend cause we never make headlines!!!!

Captcoolhand
03-02-2008, 09:44 AM
The Brown Jets and Bills are making moves in the AFC!!!We're sitting here with our thumb in our @ss!!!! I guess i knew it was coming, i hate FA weekend cause we never make headlines!!!!
You got that shiat right! :yesnod:
I think it's time that the Rooneys pass on the reigns to the next generation because they are surely showing that it's their Heads (not just thumbs) are up there *** as well.:yesnod:

Brady Quinn
03-02-2008, 10:19 AM
This draft is not that good in my opinion so waiting and over paying rookies might be an issue this year. From the reports the WR's are all 2s or 3s at best no stand outs. The corners are deep and maybe the TEs but that is not really going to help the Browns or the Steelers.

black an gold 4 life
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
You got that shiat right! :yesnod:
I think it's time that the Rooneys pass on the reigns to the next generation because they are surely showing that it's their Heads (not just thumbs) are up there *** as well.:yesnod:

i've couldn't of said it better my freind another question i have is why r we allways over the cap when we never break the bank 2 bring n an FA or our own people:scratch:...........man i hate 2 say this but the browns have taken leaps an bounds over the afc north an if they gel 2gether, they r gonna run the afc north an i will have another miserable season:evilshake::cursin::cursin:what's wrong with the rooneys:banging:we have an good team but there was an couple of guys that could of help us get 2 that superbowl hunt, now if we wait an build through the draft, it's gonna b about 3-5 more years b4 we get back n the hunt :cursin::cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-02-2008, 10:37 AM
This draft is not that good in my opinion so waiting and over paying rookies might be an issue this year. From the reports the WR's are all 2s or 3s at best no stand outs. The corners are deep and maybe the TEs but that is not really going to help the Browns or the Steelers.

This draft is deep in the areas we need it to be; OL, WR (day 1) , RB, DL,. Those are the areas we need depth in the most.

Let's not forget here people we're a pretty darn good team with a host of quality players so it's not like we're trying to fix things all over creation like other teams in the AFCN or teams like the Bears, Dolphins, Lions, 49ers, etc. What we need is depth and you don't normally go for depth on opening weekend.

Having said that yes I'd love for us to have gone out and gotten Faine to play Center for us, or Berrian at WR but the fact is no matter how much I don't like missing out on great talent what keeps us from having to go nuts in FA is having a quality team year in and year out. I wish to God this team would use FA and get us some depth and help so we can concentrate on certain areas of the draft that we know are deep enough for us to get good players. By not using FA we limit ourselves to what the draft has available.

Now though we need to restock talent at key areas on this team to help out and that's going to come in the draft so it is imperative for us to have a solid day all around and pick up couple key guys in FA at some point to restock our talent.

We were the #1 defense last year remember and Ben had a career year so it's not as if we totally suck. Yes we are getting old at some key positions so it's definitely to get some quality young players to not necessarily take over starting positions but if that happens then so be it, but to mainly be groomed to take over for guys that are getting older. Casey isn't getting any younger, neither is A. Smith, M. Smith. The key positions on the DL are were need serious young blood. On the OL we are young now but just not solidified with enough good talent in the right places. If we screw up this draft it could be disastrous.

SteelersfaninPhilly
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
The defense is getting long in the tooth. That and since cowher did not have a clue how to draft on day 2. Is coming back to bite us in the ***.

steelcityrockers
03-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Didn't we have only 3 million under the cap anyway?