PDA

View Full Version : Jets offer Faneca contract...Update** It's now official

NOVA STEELERS
02-29-2008, 08:02 AM
NEW YORK (TICKER) —Linebacker Jonathan Vilma might be departing the New York Jets but guard Alan Faneca may just be arriving.

The New Jets were expected to offer Faneca a four-year, $32 million deal once the free-agency period officially opened at 12:01 a.m. EST on Thursday night, according to a report posted on the New York Daily News’ web site early Friday morning.

Faneca, an unrestricted free agent, has appeared in seven Pro Bowls during his 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers and would become the richest free-agent signing in Jets’ history.

The 31-year-old guard would help solidify a shaky offensive line, as the Jets went 4-12 last year for their second losing season in their last three.

:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin:

black an gold 4 life
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
good ridance i'm glad this story will finally b over

AZ_Steeler
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
That's the payday he was looking for.. not sure he will like the length of the deal :dunno:

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
He was never going to see that kind of money here. Alan was always about the $$$. Good riddance.

V_83
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
He was never going to see that kind of money here. Alan was always about the $$$. Good riddance.

:woot: Yeah it's definitely time to move on. He wasn't coming back and it will probably help us in the long run.

Koopa
02-29-2008, 05:02 PM
another cowher guy bits the dust, finally we can really start to see the tomlin era come into effect

Prosdo
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Later Faneca. Have fun on a losing team.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Jets, Rams, 49ers

Geez Alan I guess winning another ring is not at the top of the list. Enjoy missing the playoffs the rest of your career.

K Train
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
good riddance

SteelerSteve
02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Jets, Rams, 49ers

Geez Alan I guess winning another ring is not at the top of the list. Enjoy missing the playoffs the rest of your career. For Real:redcool:

Silverback 92
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
And I thought he would be a Card. next year

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
It's official now...

http://kdka.com/steelers/Alan.Faneca.Jets.2.666301.html

Report: Faneca Signs Deal With NY Jets
(KDKA) Alan Faneca's time as a Pittsburgh Steeler might be coming to an end, reports say.

According to ESPN.com, Faneca has agreed to a 4-year contract with the New York Jets worth $32 million, with about 23 of that in guaranteed money.

Faneca is expected to finalize the deal this weekend.

BlitzburghNation
02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
And I thought he would be a Card. next year

Me Too,,,,,,,,But I heard on sirius they were in cap hell with fitzgeralds current contract they haven't reworked yet !

Guess alan couldn't wait,,,,,,,,,:evilshake:

I wish him all the luck in the world,,,,,,,except when they play us :tt02:

Just wonder if he hadn't already won a ring,if he would've stayed here for less money ~~~:scratch: "Doubt he would've"

BlitzburghRockCity
02-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I just don't understand these guys leaving teams to go play for worse teams just for more money? I mean it's not like Faneca is hurting for money with all the dough he's made in his career and if Im him I'd rather take a few million less and play for a winner than take more money and play for spot on my couch in January.

I wish him the best though, I'm going to miss Big Red in the lineup for us. Thanks for the memories !

K Train
03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
i hope he fails miserably

steelerfan11
03-01-2008, 12:06 AM
the jets can keep taking our leftovers for as much as i care. I still wish him luck..but he is getting up there in age and we saw what happened to Kimo...the steelers know when to get rid of players for the most part.

AZ_Steeler
03-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I just don't understand these guys leaving teams to go play for worse teams just for more money? I mean it's not like Faneca is hurting for money with all the dough he's made in his career and if Im him I'd rather take a few million less and play for a winner than take more money and play for spot on my couch in January.

I wish him the best though, I'm going to miss Big Red in the lineup for us. Thanks for the memories !

Maybe they aren't feeling to good about their 401k's and this is their last chance to get it where they want it :dinno:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2008, 03:08 AM
i hope he fails miserably

I'm with you....I hope he is a free agent bust....:lol: **** on Faneca...lol He still wasn't a great protector even in his prime....

Koopa
03-01-2008, 04:47 AM
now that he's no longer a steeler, gonna move this to the nfl section, he no longer deserves to be talked about here lol

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Maybe they aren't feeling to good about their 401k's and this is their last chance to get it where they want it :dinno:

Playing for the Jets he'll get right where he doesn't want it, at home in Lousiana in January :lol:

steelersgal86
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
:cya:

BR7
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Add Faneca to the list of Steelers that made an impact with the Jets..

Faneca
Kimo V
O'DONNELL !

:rofl:

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Faneca to sign tonight according to agent

Friday, February 29, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Alan Faneca will decide among three NFL suitors by tonight and sign a contract tomorrow or early Monday that his agent said will make him the highest paid lineman in the league.

Faneca, who made seven Pro Bowls in his 10 seasons as the Steelers starting left guard, has offers from the New York Jets, the St. Louis Rams and the San Francisco 49ers.

The total amount of the deal, a source told the Post-Gazette, will average around $8 million a year and will contain no less than $20 million in guaranteed money. The three teams are talking about contracts for either four or five years in duration, so depending on the length it should be around $32 million or $40 million.

"He was the highest-paid guard the last three years and now he'll be the highest-paid offensive lineman in football," agent Rick Smith predicted. "I have personal satisfaction in that because if anyone deserves it, he does."

Smith called an ESPN report on Friday that Faneca had agreed to a four-year contract with the Jets "way premature" and that he still had not decided.

The Steelers tried to sign Faneca to a contract extension last year but did not come close to what he and his agent thought he should get at the time, and his new contract this weekend will show they were correct.

Faneca, 31, will not visit any of the teams until after he's agreed to a contract. He wants to decide quickly.

"When he makes his decision and flies out and signs the contract it will be a bittersweet day," Smith said. "When you play 10 years for a given organization in a city with the same teammates, it really is bittersweet. But it's a new chapter in his life."

There was little other news on other Steelers free agents, although linebacker Clark Haggans seems to be drawing the next-most interest after Faneca. The Cleveland Browns are reported to be looking at Haggans, as were the New England Patriots.

Allen Rossum, released by the Steelers last week, signed a one-year deal with San Francisco. He failed as a punt and kick returner after the Steelers traded a seventh-round draft pick this year to Atlanta for him to start the 2007 season.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Faneca being the highest paid OL in the NFL is a flat out joke..............His old tired *** isn't worth that type of coin....