PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tender offer to WR Washington

Friday133
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Steelers tender offer to WR Washington
Thursday, February 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers issued a one-year contract tender today of $1,417,000 to wide receiver Nate Washington, a restricted free agent, Washington's agent, Tom Tafelski, said.

By doing so, the Steelers not only maintain their rights to match any contract Washington might sign with another team, starting tomorrow, but they would receive a second-round draft pick in return if they decline to match.

The Steelers have four other potential restricted free agents: offensive tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, long-snapper Greg Warren, and linebacker Andre Frazier.

The club had to decide whether to issue tenders and at what level to each of those by yesterday. There was no immediate word on tenders regarding the others besides Washington.

Post-Gazette (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08059/861232-66.stm)

AZ_Steeler
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
1.5 Million! :eyecrazy: Nobody in their right mind would offer Mr. Stonehands that kind of money!!!

Ambridge
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM
1.5 Million! :eyecrazy: Nobody in their right mind would offer Mr. Stonehands that kind of money!!!

I have to agree with you there!!
Nate is on the verge of Bumhood and not worth that kind of money.

V_83
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM

I might, depending on the draft. Washington is a good receiver IMO, and he did have his moments. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure he had two touchdowns against the ravens, in our throwbacks, and against the Rams. Although 1.5 mil is stretching it pretty far.

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Nate isn't as bad as everybody says he is, every WR in the league drops a few passes.Now, is he worth that much? Maybe not, but if he signs maybe the Steelers renegotiate afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
Updated:

Steelers tender offer to four players
Thursday, February 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers issued a one-year contract tender today of $1,417,000 to wide receiver Nate Washington, a restricted free agent, Washington's agent, Tom Tafelski, said.

They also issued tenders to three others: offensive tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, and long-snapper Greg Warren. They did not make one to linebacker Andre Frazier, thus making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers refused to divulge publicly the amount of the tenders issued to each player, although they must set those amounts when they report the moves to the NFL today.

The amount of the tenders is important because it will determine what compensation the Steelers receive if a player signs elsewhere and they decline to match. The amounts of the one-year tenders can range from $2,562,000 to $927,000 and the compensation can range from first- and third-round draft picks to none.

By giving Washington his tender, the Steelers not only maintain their rights to match any contract he might sign with another team, starting tomorrow, but they would receive a second-round draft pick in return if they decline to match.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861232-66.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861232-66.stm)

Stairwayto7
02-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I`m on the fence here, I wish he were better, but he is a lower option

K Train
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
i love it....

K Train
02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
he may not be the most polished WR, but the skills, the work ethic and the all around potential is all there....the dude makes plays and opens **** up. he doesnt have hands of stone and thats an inaccurate label, some of you are to hard him but he brings alot to the table and is only gonna get better as he plays more

V_83
02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
he may not be the most polished WR, but the skills, the work ethic and the all around potential is all there....the dude makes plays and opens shiat up. he doesnt have hands of stone and thats an inaccurate label, some of you are to hard him but he brings alot to the table and is only gonna get better as he plays more

Exactly what I was thinking. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Nate is the fastest player on the team and he makes some circus catches. Granted he's normally followed those up with a drop right in his hands but this year he showed some real potential. If he continues to commit himself he might really blossom into something for us. This is a move by the FO that shows confidence in Nate and also allows them a safety net if another team does offer him more money and he leaves. I really don't see anybody else giving him that much so yeah he'll be back with us and they'll probably use this year as the real barometer for him to see if he'll get an nice big deal after the 2008 season.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess a few in this thread didn't see how Nate turned it on at the end of the year and made some nice catches.....Nate will never be a superstar but I think he can a solid player....Plus 1.5 million isn't all that much....Piece of trash Cedric Wilson makes more....

K Train
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Piece of trash Cedric Wilson makes more....

only differnece is...i have a problem with that lol

DIESELMAN
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm glad to see he'll be back. This will be Nate's 4th season...C'mon Nate show us how good you really can be!!!!!

Ambridge
02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
This will be Nate's 4th season...C'mon Nate show us how good you really can be!!!!!

This is Nate's last chance to show that he can consistantly catch and hold onto the ball.
The good thing is that he only got a one year deal so the Steelers can unload him next year if they have to.

K Train
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
what exactly do you expect from an undrafted 3rd/4th wr? even the great hines ward dropped easy ones this year, but everyones to busy being all over his nuts to criticize him at all. nate played very good this year your just to used to hating on him to give him any credit

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 08:40 PM
This is definitely Nates time to shine, if he comes up big this year he'll be able to command a good contract next year. If the Steelers really believe in him they may even try and offer him a longer term deal closer to training camp. His cap value will be pretty friendly with this 1 yr deal but don't be surprised to see them lock him up long term before the season starts.

BlitzburghNation
02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Hoping they would do this,,,,,,,,, :bigthumb:
Got a feeling about nate,,,,, :crossfingers:

yinzer
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
he's lightnening fast and can jump through the roof! his hands will be o.k.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Nate is the fastest player on the team and he makes some circus catches.
also allows them a safety net if another team does offer him more money and he leaves.

Exactly, he is our fastest player even more so than Ike and FWP!!! This is an "business" move!!! As of right now Barrian and Porter are out visiting already. Porter is close to a deal with the Jags(i believe) already. The FA WR's are gonna get swallowed up in a hurry. The fact is that there are more teams that need WR's than there are FAs to go around!!! So, there is a chance Nate could land a better deal and we get a second round pick for him... IMO that would be great!!! If not Nate is a good player who has the ability to get ALOT better!!! This is a smart move by the FO!!!

SteelerFan87
02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I should have known. The Steelers wasted money on their own backups and now we don't have enough cap room to do anything in free agency even if we wanted to. Now they'll say "well, we couldn't go after any big name guys because we can't afford them. Here, be happy with the new guy we did sign, Scrub McBackup!"

I hope the Pens win the Cup more than ever now, so the Steelers will see that sometimes making a big splash is necessary.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I should have known. The Steelers wasted money on their own backups and now we don't have enough cap room to do anything in free agency even if we wanted to. Now they'll say "well, we couldn't go after any big name guys because we can't afford them. Here, be happy with the new guy we did sign, Scrub McBackup!"

I hope the Pens win the Cup more than ever now, so the Steelers will see that sometimes making a big splash is necessary.

As much as i want the Pens to bring the cup back home, i dont really think the NHL contract is anywhere near as strict as the NFL... $50 mil per team is the Nhl salary cap. rookies and players 24 and under make a max of like $1 mil a year... so once Syd, Joordan and the likes turn 24 that team will have to clean house!!!!
The NFL is different... the pats were a team (like us) that built through the draft!!! They didnt over pay anyone which is why they let a guy like Lawyer Malloy andTy Law go (like we let Faneca and Porter go) eventually we will have a year where we have a playoff caliber team w/ an ***-load of cap room!!! well hopefully:lol:

GoBenGo
02-29-2008, 06:36 PM
he was improving..although his routes leave a lot to be desired...that will come with experience...he catches some crazy balls, but misses some easy ones...been swann-like..and staley-like in the same season..same game sometimes