PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to honor Myron Cope...Update**Petition**

steelerfan11
02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I know this is really quick and Myron Cope just died, but last night on the nightly sports call a conversation came up about how the steelers will honor Myron Cope next season. I was wondering what ideas any of you guys had.

Bob Pompeani suggested on the jerseys placing a terrible towel. I like this idea and it would show respect to Myron since he was the one that came up with the terrible towel in the first place.

One guy said last night to change one of the roads in pittsburgh to Myron Cope drive or whatever. I don't know if this will happen but it is a good idea.

My thought is that if they don't want to or not aloud or even if they put the terrible towel on the jerseys maybe they could paint a terrible towel on the field at hines field to honor him.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't think the team would put a towel on the jersey but it would be cool, but I could definitely see them putting a terrible towel sticker on the back of their helmets to honor Myron.

They'll probably have a moment of silence before the home opener and perhaps put something more in the Coca Cola Great Hall.

i'd love to see them put a big terrible towel in the "Pittsburgh" end zone.

GoBenGo
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
GIANT 50' BY 100' Towel unfurled opening day....on field while tribute is played...tribute of JUST myron's sound bites, and video montage...thru the years celebrating the longest tenure of any braodcaster and his allegance to his team....

......:cope:

AZ_Steeler
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
How about raise a Terrible Towel flag kind of how the Seahawks do with their 12th man flag :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I wish they would have some sort of ring of honor or something at Heinz besides the Great Hall, but we have so many players and coaches that would be on it that we'd have filled it up long before now :cope:

Maybe they'll do a special "Copes Cabanna" this season ?

BR7
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
How about raise a Terrible Towel flag kind of how the Seahawks do with their 12th man flag :dunno:

I like that idea. Doubtful they'd do it. I also like the renaming of a road. Maybe one near the stadium. Like they did for the walrus in Green Bay.

ARKIESTEEL
02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I think all of these are great ideas......maybe a Cope TT

Iron City South
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I think from the top of Heinz Field should fly the largest Terrible Towel ever made. In fact, I think a new pre-game tradition should be started which would be dubbed "Raising of the Towel"

Basically, it would go something like this ..... prior to the start of each home game played at Heinz Field, a special Steeler guest would be given the honor of "Hoisting the Towel" up on it's rightful flagpole high above the stadium. I think it would be a great tribute to Myron and it would also be fun for the fans and a good way to get the players "pumped up" .... a psycological boost if you will.

The towel would signify the Steelers "spirit of excellence" during the game and would be taken down after each game. Like I said, the flag would only fly when football was being played on the field.

Might as well make homefield advantage that much more intimidating, right?

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
As long as they do something. Lot of these ideas are pretty good.

JensK
02-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I think from the top of Heinz Field should fly the largest Terrible Towel ever made. In fact, I think a new pre-game tradition should be started which would be dubbed "Raising of the Towel"

Basically, it would go something like this ..... prior to the start of each home game played at Heinz Field, a special Steeler guest would be given the honor of "Hoisting the Towel" up on it's rightful flagpole high above the stadium. I think it would be a great tribute to Myron and it would also be fun for the fans and a good way to get the players "pumped up" .... a psycological boost if you will.

The towel would signify the Steelers "spirit of excellence" during the game and would be taken down after each game. Like I said, the flag would only fly when football was being played on the field.

I like this idea! :towelwave:

Just when the flag reached the top, those bells should start playing (Im not sure when they actually play or what it actually is.. I've heard them in a few NFL movies and i've heard it on Heinz Field a lot of times.. Sounds pretty damn neat) and the players should enter the stadium.. That would be terrifying for the other team and i know that i for one would be pumped! Hopefully the players would aswell.. It would really bring a badass mood! :cope:

V_83
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Awesome idea, it's got my vote. :cope:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm loving the hoisting of the towel idea, too bad it's too kick *** for the Rooney's to buy off on it. They'll probably come out with some Myron Cope special edition ketchup bottle or something cheesy like that.They better do something special for Myron..something that lasts a legacy and not just a sticker for one season.

:towelwave::towelwave:

BlitzburghNation
02-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I like all these ideals~~~~~ :clap:

This man was without a doubt was the biggest steeler fan and his off the wall unique voice and funny sound bites made him a legend of pittsburgh.
:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

I really enjoyed listening to all his sound bites on sirius,,,,,,,,They were playing
them off & on all day yesterday !

I hope they come out with a terrible towel that has his coined phrase that's
famous throughout the league "IMMACULATE RECEPTION"

We've all lost a true steeler ~~~R.I.P. Myron

Ambridge
02-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah!! the Rooney's(that means you Art II) better not drop the ball on honoring Myron.
He deserves some sort of huge tribute......something that becomes a permanent fixture at Heinz Field.

Ever since the Terrible Towel came into existance every other team in the league has copied and ripped it off with their own ridiculous version.

Stairwayto7
02-28-2008, 09:28 PM
There needs to be a Myron Cope Day for every future season! With a free towel giveaway! Anybody not waving a Terrible opening game this season, is not a true Steelers Fan

steelerfan11
02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Ever since the Terrible Towel came into existance every other team in the league has copied and ripped it off with their own ridiculous version.

This made me think of when Myron use to say that all the other teams copied the terrible towel and the biggest difference is that they give the towels away and steelers fans buy theres..haha

I love it that he gave all the rights of his name and the terrible towel to helping mentally challenged kids....such a great man!!

DIESELMAN
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
All great ideas......I like everyones avatar in memory of Myron :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Now this makes you proud to be a Steelers fan ( as if we didn't have enough to be proud of already ) :towelwave:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08061/861772-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

The man who is synonymous with the official flag of Steelers Nation was given a send off by its citizens yesterday in a ceremony that could only be characterized as Terrible.

A Terrible Towel twirling tribute seemed a fitting farewell for Myron Cope, the famed Steelers broadcaster and sports journalist who died Wednesday.

So yesterday, in the midst of a winter snowstorm -- "Steeler weather," Mayor Luke Ravenstahl called it -- about 350 fans and friends gathered with their Terrible Towels outside the City-County Building to pay tribute to the man who became their leader, sporadically erupting into cheers of "Let's go Myron!" and his trademark "Double Yoi!"

Addressing the snow-drenched fans, Mr. Ravenstahl recalled watching Steelers games with the television turned down and the radio turned up to hear Mr. Cope's broadcasts.

Dan DelBianco, the executive director of the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, recalled Mr. Cope's lesser-known contributions to the community, including co-founding the charity car race that benefits the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny Valley School. Mr. Cope's son has been a resident at the school for people with developmental disabilities since 1992. He donated the Terrible Towel trademark to the school 11 years ago so that royalties from towel sales go to the school.

"He became known across this country as the voice of the Steelers ... but Myron had another voice. It was one that was softer and it spoke for thousands of those who cannot speak for themselves," Mr. DelBianco said. "I'm talking about individuals and families in the region dealing with the challenge of autism and developmental disabilities."

Much like the Terrible Towel he named -- which he once called "a positive force that lifts the Steelers to magnificent heights" -- Mr. Cope's impact on Steelers football eludes definition.

"Myron did so much for the Steelers it can't be put into words," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney told the crowd. "The biggest thing he did was to keep us loose, brought humor to it."

"I remember when we went to play Super Bowl IX, we were playing the Vikings. We were there for the first time, but we were very loose."

Though he never played a game, Mr. Cope came to symbolize the Steelers Nation as much, if not more, than many of the players.

For Mike Scott, a teacher at Allderdice High School where Mr. Cope is a graduate, the fact that Mr. Cope never donned his own jersey does not diminish his importance in the Steelers Nation.

"He never played a down, he never took a hit, but ... he's a Steeler," he said.

"He brought a sense of identification and a voice of all the fans and the hard-working attitude of the fans," said Marco Wuslich, a tech support engineer at the ceremony. "He was noticeable to everybody and he really brought us together."

For Sylvia Corcoran, a Pittsburgher and bank employee, he was more than that. Surrounded by raucous towel-waving fans, she stood and cried.

"He was Pittsburgh. I just loved him. I just loved hearing his voice," she said.

At the end of the speeches, Mayor Ravenstahl, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Mr. Rooney led a minute of silent towel-twirling, turning the rambunctious crowd startlingly solemn.

For a man who was known for his voice and stirring the passion of Steelers fans everywhere, it was an ironic tribute.

steelersgal86
03-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Now this makes you proud to be a Steelers fan ( as if we didn't have enough to be proud of already ) :towelwave:

wow...that is awesome :clap::clap::clap: :towelwave:

AZ_Steeler
03-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Had the weather not been so bad you wonder just how many people would have showed up! That is awesome though :clap:

memphissteelergirl
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
GIANT 50' BY 100' Towel unfurled opening day....on field while tribute is played...tribute of JUST myron's sound bites, and video montage...thru the years celebrating the longest tenure of any braodcaster and his allegance to his team....

......:cope:

This is a great idea....there wouldn't be dry eye in Heinz Field. Also, every Steeler fan-man, woman, child-should have a TT in hand when they come to opening day!!

:towelwave:

GoBenGo
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
i can think of no other franchise that owes more to one person....

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
This is a great idea....there wouldn't be dry eye in Heinz Field. Also, every Steeler fan-man, woman, child-should have a TT in hand when they come to opening day!!

:towelwave:

Let's not get carried away ... nobody is going to cry for Myron on opening day. If anything, you put up your cup and have one for Myron while giving your towel a twirl. :cope:

TampaSteelGirl
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I just signed a petition last week to have a bridge named after him, did anyone see the petition? i'll have to post it unless I'm posting this after someone already did. :tt02:

Iron City South
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I would never sign a petition to have a bridge named after Cope. Cope had nothing to do with bridges ..... and bridges have nothing to do with sports journalism, sportscasting, football, or the Terrible Towel.

giantman
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I have an idea for a more long-lasting tribute and memorial that isn't complicated, that won't cost the city (or anyone else) a dime and that seems appropriate. We should think about naming the new North Shore T-Station, the Myron Cope Memorial Station. As fans arrive from around the nation and the world, they will be traveling through the new tunnel for the games, why not have them pass through the Myron Cope station? The Terrible-T could become another Pittsburgh sports saying.

I have written emails and called PAT regarding this idea, Fred Honzberger mentioned it on KDKA last week, but we need more people to get behind it and support it.

I wrote a post on my blog about it as well, here:
http://giantideasblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/honoring-myron-cope.html

Thanks.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
If you haven't seen it already, check out the homepage (http://www.steeleraddicts.com), we've got a tribute up for Cope that leads to link we posted up the day he passed away. Im almost finished a small article that will get linked to the homepage as well under the SA Exclusives drop down.

I just signed a petition last week to have a bridge named after him, did anyone see the petition? i'll have to post it unless I'm posting this after someone already did. :tt02:

I'd sign that petition, do you have a link?

I would never sign a petition to have a bridge named after Cope. Cope had nothing to do with bridges ..... and bridges have nothing to do with sports journalism, sportscasting, football, or the Terrible Towel.

Art Rooney didn't have anything to do with the streets in Pittsburgh either but they named the main street going by the stadium after him in Pittsburgh to memorialize him. It's not the point that Myron built bridges in Pittsburgh or not but it's a way to honor Cope through a very visible part of Pittsburgh, the bridges. Cope was a Pittsburgh guy through and through, not just a Steelers guy.

TampaSteelGirl
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
If you haven't seen it already, check out the homepage (http://www.steeleraddicts.com), we've got a tribute up for Cope that leads to link we posted up the day he passed away. Im almost finished a small article that will get linked to the homepage as well under the SA Exclusives drop down.
I'd sign that petition, do you have a link?

Yep here you go, you may have to cut and paste. Should I make a thread for it???

http://www.petitiononline.com/Cope/petition.html

giantman
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
If anyone is interested, I am going to be interviewed today at 5:52 p.m. on KDKA Radio with Fred Honsberger regarding my idea for the Myron Cope Memorial T-Station. For those of you that may be out-of-town you can listen live via the interweb.

TampaSteelGirl
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
If anyone is interested, I am going to be interviewed today at 5:52 p.m. on KDKA Radio with Fred Honsberger regarding my idea for the Myron Cope Memorial T-Station. For those of you that may be out-of-town you can listen live via the interweb.

Thats awesome!! Good Luck!! I"ll try to get online, unfortunately I can't watch it on tv!! :cursin:

TEEMONT
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM

He has as much to do with bridges as Martin Luther King had to do with Blvd's.

TampaSteelGirl
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
He has as much to do with bridges as Martin Luther King had to do with Blvd's.

:wtf:

TEEMONT
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
:wtf:

It means that you dont name something after someone b/c they were involved with it. You name something after someone b/c they were a great person, and accomplished great things.

Myron might not have been as great as MLK, but he does deserve to have a bridge in the Burgh named after him.

TampaSteelGirl
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
It means that you dont name something after someone b/c they were involved with it. You name something after someone b/c they were a great person, and accomplished great things.

Myron might not have been as great as MLK, but he does deserve to have a bridge in the Burgh named after him.

Aahh ok! I was hoping that was what you meant. The bridges are one of the greatest things about Pittsburgh, something that really stands out so I see it only fitting that he be named after one too. :yellowthumb:

memphissteelergirl
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM

People have had bridges and streets named after them for a helluva lot less.

giantman
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
You can listen to the interview now by clicking on the following link:

Should T Be Named to Honor Cope? (http://www.kdkaradio.com/pages/1730228.php?)

You can also vote for the idea on the poll also on that page.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I'd be all for naming a Tunnel or a Bridge after him...that would be a great idea. Very nice interview as well, good points !

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 06:39 PM

So I guess they should take away Rooney Blvd, after all, he had nothing to do with streets either.