PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks FWP will be the same?

SteelersWoman
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
As some of you know, my husband is a Browns fan. He says that Willie won't be the same after breaking the big bone in his leg. I think that he'll come back just as good--he'll have had a lot of time to heal, afterall!

So what are your thoughts...Is Willie gonna be a has-been? Will he have lost that "2nd gear" that he had? Or will he be just as good as new?

Iron City South
02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Divorce the bum ..... fast.

TEEMONT
02-28-2008, 12:17 AM

hate to say it.....agreed, on the divorce thing.

I think Wilie will come back just fine. He didnt **** up and ligaments, just the bone.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-28-2008, 01:38 AM

LOL WILLIE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT HE NEEDS 2 WORK ON HIS VISION,, HE'S YOUNG HIS LEG WILL HEAL..........................

JensK
02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
He may have a slow start.. When breaking something, it will always be in your head the first few times you run it. After a few games where he, hopefully, wont get hurt, he'll be back and ready to rock'n'roll :)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Willie will be fine, it doesn't take 8-10 months to come back from a broken leg and he hurt a month before the season was even over so yeah he'll be back and has all offseason to continue rehab.

okiesteeler
02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
FWP will still be FWP he will be back and just as good as always

steelersgal86
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
He will be fine :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Stairwayto7
02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
He will be fine! But I still want a good second back

We need someone to challenge him!

Bettis played better when we picked up Staley. We need a legit threat

K Train
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
i think he'll bring the same mediocrity to the table

DIESELMAN
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
As some of you know, my husband is a Browns fan. He says that Willie won't be the same after breaking the big bone in his leg. I think that he'll come back just as good--he'll have had a lot of time to heal, afterall!

So what are your thoughts...Is Willie gonna be a has-been? Will he have lost that "2nd gear" that he had? Or will he be just as good as new?

Actually, he fractured his fibula, which is the smaller of the 2 bones in the lower leg. I think it all depends on Willie, how he goes about rehabbing and how his leg responds. There have been other football players who have had the same injury, some came back (Michael Vick) others didn't (Garrison Hearst).

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
"If you fix the O-line, the yards will come"

I have been saying this over and over, fix the O-line and my grandmother can run behind it. Running a football is not rocket science. You run to a spot where there is a hole (presuming there is one) and you run through it. When there is no hole there will be no yards gained most of the time. Over the years we have seen some O-lines with the Steelers and with other teams where it did not matter who ran the ball.....ALL were successful! When our O-line starts moving people off the line of scrimmage it won't matter who is running behind it. The first step will be in replacing Turnstile (aka Mahan). Fix the O-line and Beavis or Butthead will be able to gain positive yards. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
That's why the avg yds per game during the entire Cowher was tops in the NFL every year because we had the OL to lead the way. Bam Morris, Barry Foster, Bettis, all the RB's we've had during that time that had success wouldn't have had anywhere near the stats they did without solid blocking up front and a good FB leading the way. The longer it takes us to fix the OL the longer we'll be waiting for that dominance to return.

It may not ever completely return because our offensive philosophy has changed now but still we need to be able to run it and run it well especially in short yardage and goal lines.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
"If you fix the O-line, the yards will come"

I have been saying this over and over, fix the O-line and my grandmother can run behind it. Running a football is not rocket science. You run to a spot where there is a hole (presuming there is one) and you run through it. When there is no hole there will be no yards gained most of the time. Over the years we have seen some O-lines with the Steelers and with other teams where it did not matter who ran the ball.....ALL were successful! When our O-line starts moving people off the line of scrimmage it won't matter who is running behind it. The first step will be in replacing Turnstile (aka Mahan). Fix the O-line and Beavis or Butthead will be able to gain positive yards. :yesnod:

:plus1: Parker has been a top 5 rb for 2 seasons now!!! And behind a garbage O-line to Boot!!!! I would love to see what would happen if we picked up faine in FA and got Williams/Clady/Cherilus in the first and made a move for Albert or another top 3 G in the 2nd... Parker would put up 2K for the next 3 seasons!!!!

GoBenGo
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
my jury is still out...i thought last year when it happened it was time to part company...can't see how he can be BETTER than last year when healthy..and a FWP that is less than last year is of no use...maybe on ST...i think we have gotten all we can out of him..."till the wheels fall off" i believe was the verbage used by Tomlin...well, one fell off

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
That's why the avg yds per game during the entire Cowher was tops in the NFL every year because we had the OL to lead the way. Bam Morris, Barry Foster, Bettis, all the RB's we've had during that time that had success wouldn't have had anywhere near the stats they did without solid blocking up front and a good FB leading the way. The longer it takes us to fix the OL the longer we'll be waiting for that dominance to return.

It may not ever completely return because our offensive philosophy has changed now but still we need to be able to run it and run it well especially in short yardage and goal lines.

Don't forget Merril Hoge :lol:

Seriously, a power running football team doesn't need the runner to do all the work. We like to call the power running game smashmouth football because it doesn't use trickery or deception to create positive plays, but brute force. Your O-line is the real key to the power running game. There were some years in the mid-90's when teams knew we would predominantly run between the tackles and they could not stop it from happening. Imagine if 50% of those carries Willie had for no gain or losses were converted to 4 yard gains, how many yards would he have? Willie had a lot of plays this past year where the ball and the defenders arrived at about the same time in the backfield. We are not a power running team anymore and its not because of who is in the backfield as much as it is a dysfunctional offensive line. Beef up that line with some road graters and teams won't be keying on our play action passing game as much. Play action passes only work when your running game is a threat. Not to mention nothing wears down opposing defenses more than a great running game. That was one of the signatures of Bill Cowher coached teams. Wear a team down with power running and control the clock in the 4th quarter. His record with a lead going into the 4th quarter was phenomenal. If Willie had a line like Jerome did in the mid 90's he would be doing some special things. Once that O-line is back on track and blowing defenders off the line of scrimmage, Willie, Dukie, Russell, Davis, or your grandmother will be able to gain positive yards. :redcool:

portcityblackandgold
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Fast Willie will be okay, remember if he was a used car he'd be the best buy on the lot, low miles, very fast and lots of options.

GoBenGo
02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Fast Willie will be okay, remember if he was a used car he'd be the best buy on the lot, low miles, very fast and lots of options....with a reconstructed title..lol...let's hope the bodyshop got that last fender-bender fixed but good...

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
You're first problem is that you listened to a Browns Fan. Willie will be fine.

dick rasile
02-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Willie will be fine, it doesn't take 8-10 months to come back from a broken leg and he hurt a month before the season was even over so yeah he'll be back and has all offseason to continue rehab.

All Willie needs is that big full back from West Virginia a few steps in front of him busting helmets and scaring the crap out of those linebackers with his Jack Lambert Scream.
This kid will slip by in the draft and we need to take a hard look at him or change our profession.

yinzer
02-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Actually, he fractured his fibula, which is the smaller of the 2 bones in the lower leg. I think it all depends on Willie, how he goes about rehabbing and how his leg responds. There have been other football players who have had the same injury, some came back (Michael Vick) others didn't (Garrison Hearst).

exactly. fibula. not tibia. the fibula is not a weight bearing bone. he should have no problems.

SteelersWoman
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
exactly. fibula. not tibia. the fibula is not a weight bearing bone. he should have no problems.

I mis-spoke when I said "THE" big bone--I should've said "a" big(ger) bone.

What he meant was--it wasn't like he broke a smaller (or more unimportant) bone like an arm bone--he broke a big(ger) bone in his leg, and his legs are so important...

Thanks for all the input everyone! I really think hubby just likes to tease me anyway about the Steelers--he probably doesn't even really have those thoughts about Willie...he just wishes! :lol:

SteelerSteve
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
He'll be fine, he's dedicated to the game and really wants to be great so I say that he comes back like new. I still think we need some way to divide the carries up better though.