PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Myron Cope

Stairwayto7
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
These are all worth watching, just to take a few minutes and remember Cope! The third is my favorite! All though #4 is what he is famous for!

Once again Thank You Cope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItybZyuNhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aar4IVdkajg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xi7eA68og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A03InRgFzs&NR=1

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I set them up as actual vids in your thread Glenn :)

This day just really sucks since we all heard that Myron had passed away..Thanks for the vids bro, they are great and bring you right back to how it used to be listening to him on the air!

I can still remember his famous "cleve brownies" and "the hated oakland raiders"

DIESELMAN
02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Nice Video Cleve!!! :yellowthumb:

Here are some reactions from people who knew him:

Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney: The entire Steelers organization is deeply saddened to learn of the death of Myron Cope. Myron touched millions of people throughout his life, first as a tremendous sportswriter and then as a Hall of Fame broadcaster.
Myron was also a very close friend. His contributions and dedication to Steelers football were incredible. His creation of The Terrible Towel™ has developed into a worldwide symbol that is synonymous with Steelers football. He also helped immortalize the most famous play in NFL history when he popularized the term "Immaculate Reception.
Myron was a very passionate person who truly cared about others and dedicated much of his personal time to help numerous charities.
Our prayers and deepest sympathies go out to the entire Cope family. Myron will remain in our thoughts and will forever be a member of the Steelers family.

Steelers President Art Rooney II:
The passing of Myron Cope is a tremendous loss for the entire Steelers organization and for Steelers fans around the world. Whether it was his work as a broadcaster or his creation of The Terrible Towel™, Myron played an important part in the Steelers game day experience.
Myron touched the hearts of Steelers fans for 35 years and became one of the true legends in broadcasting history. His memorable voice and unique broadcasting style became synonymous with Steelers football. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery and no Pittsburgh broadcaster was impersonated more than Myron.
We have lost a great friend in Myron Cope, but history will remember him as one of the great sportscasters of any era.
Our prayers go out to the entire Cope family. Though he can never be replaced, his impact will continue to live strong at every Steelers game.

Former Steelers offensive lineman Gerry "Moon" Mullins: Myron was a real gem. It was a shocker to see a guy like that calling games.
He was one of the few journalists you could talk to and know that what you told him wasn't going to come back on you. If he talked about something you told him, the little birdie would be the culprit. All the players respected him for that.
Myron enjoyed the sauce, as did Bob Prince. And the thing that always amazed me was how they could do a complete 180 as soon as they went on the air. They were true professionals.
Myron was as big a part of the city as the team. His legacy will live on. We was so unique. He'll be a part of Steelers' folklore for eternity. He was an integral part of the success we had in the '70s. I'd like to think we'll never forget that voice crackling over the airwaves.

Former Steelers offensive lineman and current member of the broadcast team Craig Wolfley:
This is the closing of a well-written book.
He was a groundbreaker. I compare him to Howard Cosell. The greatest thing about Myron was that he expressed himself so much on the airwaves. You got everything. He was so gregarious. To see as wild and wooly as he was on the air, it always amazed me to see how meticulously he prepared before games. It was almost professorial-like. And once he got on the air, it just flowed.
As somebody who was coming from upstate New York and then Syracuse, the first time I heard him, my first thought was, 'Gadzooks, what is that? Not who, what.' He's barking, he's howling. He spoke with so much Pittsburghese. Pittsburghese was unlike anything I had ever heard. Then I met him and I couldn't believe all that bombacity could come from that little person. But he was one of a kind. Think about all the millions he turned aside from the Terrible Towel. It's astounding. But that was Myron.

Former Steelers defensive lineman John Banaszak:
There are a lot of things that ran through my mind when I heard about his death. Obviously, it's a very sad day for the city, his family and his friends. And I consider myself a friend.
He was somebody you could trust. When you talked to him, he wasn't looking for something controversial. Off the record was off the record. You'd listen on the radio and it would be the little birdy telling something. You could trust Myron. He was just a good guy and a friend of the players who was involved with them in so many ways. A lot of times, you have a guarded relationship with reporters. But with Myron, it was an open relationship.
Unique would be a good word for Myron. What I loved was out of towners reactions to him when they heard him for the first time. They just couldn't believe that voice was on the radio. It was pretty stunning. You said, 'Wow.' This squeaky voice.' And then you'd relate it to that little squeaky guy and it fit.
I remember my rookie year, as I got closer to making the team, Myron started to take more of an interest in me. The first time I got a good deal of playing time came in a game against Houston. It was around the anniversary of the Marines. I went out and had a good game and got a game ball. Myron went on his TV show and said the Marines had landed, me being a former Marine. I remember thinking that I had made it because Myron on his commentary had talked about me. And that's the way it was. It was like Howard Cosell having your highlights on Monday night football. When he talked about you on his commentary, you had to have done something special. Remember, he was the only talk show in town.

steelersgal86
02-28-2008, 06:08 AM
very nice :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Is there anything more amazing and awe inspriring than being at Heinz or back in TRS in the day and just looking over the crowd and seeing the 10's of thousands of towels just waving all in unison to rally the team. It's quite the moving experience for a Pittsburgh fan...

TEEMONT
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I think it will be hard to not shed a tear or two the next time I wave the towel, especially if I'm at the game. The home opener just became the ticket I want more than anything in the world.

#3 is by far the best.