PDA

View Full Version : Myron Cope has passed away..Rest in Peace to a legend :(

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Just got it via a text from KDKA :(

http://kdka.com/steelers/Myron.Cope.dies.2.663862.html

Sportscaster Myron Cope Passes Away
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― From the Terrible Towel to the memorable Pittsburgh sayings, Myron Cope is a legend in sports broadcasting, but today his distinctive voice was silenced. He was 79.

And when it comes to colorful characters, Pittsburgh has produced none more unique than Cope.

But before Cope ever graced the airwaves, he was celebrated for his outstanding writing and special features for Sports Illustrated and the Saturday Evening Post. He was a star in the world of sports writing, but otherwise an unknown.

Then in 1968, a radio executive invited him to broadcast a brief daily sports commentary.

"What? My voice? But the radio executive said, 'We think we see a trend toward obnoxious voices,'" said Cope.

Those commentaries led to a spot in the Steelers broadcast booth starting in 1970, and soon after Cope began hosting a nightly sports call-in show.

The fans respected Cope, and Cope respected the fans, but he always made it fun, win or lose.

"The Steelers never had any cheerleaders," said retired Steeler, Dwayne Woodruff. "With Myron Cope, we didn't need any cheerleaders."

Cope invented the Terrible Towel in 1975 when the Steelers were headed into the playoffs and the broadcast bosses were looking for a gimmick.

"I said, what we need is something that everybody already has, so it doesn't cost a dime," said Cope. "So I says, 'We'll urge people to bring out to the game gold or black towels, then I'll tell people if you don't have a yellow, black or gold towel, buy one. And if you don't want to buy one, dye one. And I said, "We'll call this the Terrible Towel.'"

In the mid 90s, Cope turned over all the royalties from sales of his official Terrible Towel to the Allegheny Valley School for children and adults with mental retardation. Cope's son, who was born with severe autism, has been a resident there since 1982.

"It helps us purchase very important equipment, lifting equipment, bathing equipment, sensory equipment," said school representative, Dorothy Gordon, "all sorts of equipment that helps to improve the quality of life for the people with mental retardation."

The 2005 Steelers season was the first in 35 years without Cope's color commentary. He announced his retirement the summer before.

His departure from the broadcast booth brought one honor after another including an award from the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame as well as the key to the city.

In another city, all of this might have never happened, but somehow, it was an ideal match - a homegrown original who was embraced by a town less impressed by polish and perfection, than by real heart.

"To me, the thing I am most proud of is my credibility. I've always guarded it," said Cope. "I want people to believe that if I say something, I know what I'm talking about, or at least partially, and that's what I believe."

In his recent memoir, Steelers Chairman, Dan Rooney, admitted he didn't like the name Cope gave to the most memorable play in Steelers history-- Franco Harris's 'Immaculate Reception.' Rooney said at first he thought it was sacrilegious, but he eventually came around.

However, Cope said he actually didn't come up with the term 'Immaculate Reception,' instead a caller did, but Cope bestowed that name upon the catch on the 11 o'clock news the night of the game.

He is survived by two children: Daniel and Elizabeth.

This is just terrible news, the Steeler Nation is in mourning today as we lost a true legend in Steeler history and in broadcasting history. You were one of a kind man and we all loved you !

ARKIESTEEL
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Sure hate to hear that

steelersgal86
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
So did I .... RIP...
:towelwave:

ARKIESTEEL
02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
PITTSBURGH -- The former Pittsburgh Steelers announcer known for his screechy voice and for creating the Terrible Towel has died.

Myron Cope was 79.

Joe Gordon is a former Steelers executive and a longtime friend of Cope's. He says the announcer died Wednesday morning at a nursing home in Mount Lebanon, a Pittsburgh suburb.

Gordon says Cope had been treated for respiratory problems and heart failure in recent months.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
This just totally bums me out..most of us probably didn't know Myron on a personal level but all of us in the Steeler Nation that have ever heard him commentate games, got to meet him, or just read about him in Steelers history feel a connection to him. He was black n gold through and through. I'll wave my terrible towel in honor today ! :(

GoBenGo
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
:towelwave:Rest in Peace dear soul...one in a million..never to be duplicated...we have been truly blessed to have him shape our steeler history...all of football has lost a great one..i miss him...

...your passion lives on in the Terrible towel...as every time i see it waving...I remember Myron Cope....Yoi!
http://i29.tinypic.com/35mifd2.jpg

DIESELMAN
02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I can hear his voice in my head right now. "yoi, double yoi."

'RIP' Mr. Cope.....
:towelwave::towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

portcityblackandgold
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace:

Forged in Steel
02-27-2008, 11:53 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Cope. He was a great person & broadcaster.

TampaSteelGirl
02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
God bless him! I had tears welling up in my eyes reading that article. he was the voice of the Steelers, i'm so sad. One thing i'll never forget his him singing Deck the halls on tv!!! What an amazing man!! I love that he donated the proceeds from the terrible towel to the school. There was definately a VIP place for him in heaven. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

This just totally bums me out..most of us probably didn't know Myron on a personal level but all of us in the Steeler Nation that have ever heard him commentate games, got to meet him, or just read about him in Steelers history feel a connection to him. He was black n gold through and through. I'll wave my terrible towel in honor today ! :(

I'll wave mine as soon as I get home. :towelwave:
But this until i get there.

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
While some connect Myron to the Steelers exclusively, he was really a Pittsburgher through and through. He will be missed!

:(

Stairwayto7
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I`m waving my Terrible Towel!

Myron ! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Your voice will never be forgotten!

TEEMONT
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
My Dad and I used to turn off the sound on the TV and listen to Myron.

RIP Cope.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
If you want to hear him one more time...here is the site.

http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/

AZ_Steeler
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
It's a sad day for the Steelers Organization... Myron will always be remembered. :(

PsychoWard
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
R.I.P MR. COPE!!! :towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:

BR7
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Double Yoi, RIP Myron.

:cope: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :cope:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860750-66.stm

Detox
02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Cope :cope:

Captcoolhand
02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
GOD BLESS FROM CAPT.JR and family

steelerfan11
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
RIP Myron!!!

Are you guys going to put up a tribute to Myron on the front page?

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
My Dad and I used to turn off the sound on the TV and listen to Myron.

RIP Cope.

We used to do the same thing, The Steeler Nation will never be the same without Myron. RIP Mr.Cope.:towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:

ARKIESTEEL
02-27-2008, 01:51 PM
We lost a true original this morning

February 27, 2008 11:26 AM

Steelers fans are mourning the death of veteran broadcaster Myron Cope this morning. Cope, who had been in declining health since his retirement from the radio booth in 2005, was the voice of the franchise for 35 years.

In that time, he also became the voice of a city. Cope was actually an accomplished writer before he pretty much stumbled into broadcasting at age 40. His catchphrases such as "Double Yoi" and "Dumbkopf" are familiar to any Steelers fan. Those fans always referred to him as "Myron," as if he was a close friend. And that's not far off.

He was the inventor of the Terrible Towel, which has become one of the most enduring symbols in sports. Cope had such a colorful life that he decided to write two books about himself.

As more and more voices crowded the radio, Cope's always stood out. He matched his humor and wisdom with an obvious enthusiasm for the home team. When you think of all the great traditions associated with Steelers football, Cope's name is near the top. He didn't have anything close to a radio voice - high and screechy - but it sounded perfect to Steelers fans.

"I've lost the most creative person I've ever known, a loyal and generous friend, and joy to be with," Joe Gordon, the retired Steelers executive told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. "His accomplishments were just incredible. The characteristic that I most admired was his intensity to get things done, his durability to hang in there with his book, the DVD, the piece that he did for the City Paper; he really had to labor for those.
"He was such a perfectionist. I'd say to him, 'Myron, all you're doing is changing one sentence and it's taken four days.' "

Former Pittsburgh Press columnist and sports editor Roy McHugh tells a great story about Cope:

"He was a true celebrity," said McHugh. "In the '70s, he and I went to closed circuit telecasts of big fights at the Civic Arena. One night as we were leaving we fell in step with [former world light-heavyweight champion] Billy Conn. We couldn't get three or four paces without people wanting Cope's autograph. Conn they ignored."

Cope was actually born Myron Kopelman. He lived all but seven months of his life in Pittsburgh. In those seven months he took a job at the Erie Time, where his byline was changed to Cope. He eventually took a job at the Post-Gazette, but he made a name for himself as a free-lance writer for some of the top sports magazines in the country.

On its 50th anniversary, Sports Illustrated cited Cope's profile of Howard Cosell as one of its 50 all-time greatest articles. I never spent any time with Cope, but I know that he enriched thousands of lives, both through his charitable work and his voice.

His signature sign-off was "Bye now!" And when he passed away this morning, I'm sure that's what he wanted to say to his adoring fans

memphissteelergirl
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Godspeed, Myron!

Prosdo
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
What a huge loss for Steeler Nation. RIP Myron!

SteelerFan87
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Yoi and Double Yoi, Myron. You will be missed. :(
:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

Stairwayto7
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
:towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towel wave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:: towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelw ave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::t owelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwa ve::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::to welwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwav e::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::tow elwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave ::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towe lwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave: :towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towel wave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:: towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelw ave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::t owelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwa ve::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I would imagine Stan Savaran will have something tonight on sportsbeat about it and hopefully FSN will do some type of tribute show about him.

TampaSteelGirl
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
My friend who lives in Pittsburgh said everyone is hanging their terrible towels on their windows as a tribute to Myron, she said their are a TON of towels on peoples windows. She said her husband has his business in Dormont and there are alot of people there doing that. :towelwave:

MDSteel15
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
R.I.P. Myron... That chalkboard voice will be missed!

HUNT4SEVEN
02-27-2008, 05:05 PM
HE'LL BE MISSED 4 SURE............

Troyisabeast_43
02-27-2008, 05:12 PM
A tragic loss for the Steelers Nation today. Its safe to say they broke the mold when the made Myron Cope and there will never be another one like him. A big part of Steelers football just wont seem right without Myron around. Thanks for all the great memories Myron yoi and double yoi you will be missed RIP :-(...

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Yoi, and Double Yoi, RIP Myron. Definately will be missed.

Dee Mca
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
R.I.P.
Enjoy watching and calling games of the greatest players in our sport that have come and moved on .
Not wanting to force religion on any one but do you think Art Rooney was their to met him this morning?

Black@Gold Forever32
02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
This really sucks......Ruined my day really...Just got home from work and checked my messages and Mom left one stating that Myron had passed...

R.I.P. Myron Cope there will never be another one like you...

yinzer
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
R.I.P Myron. you will be missed.

Captcoolhand
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
never heard or seen him but heart goes out to family and friends.

Ambridge
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh Man!!.....this is truly a sad moment.:(
Myron is a Pittsburgh Icon and was there for so many great Steeler games and great Steeler seasons.

RIP Myron!!

steelcityrockers
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Rest In Peace, Myron. In a copy-cat world, he was truly unique. My condolences to his daughter.

G89Newitt13
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
:towelwave::towelwave::towel::towel:

Gonna be missed

JoeThomas
02-27-2008, 09:59 PM
RIP, a pioneer and legend has passed. its always sad when one of the old guard of announcers goes. rivals or not, was a great one.

steelerfan11
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Pitt had a tribute to Myron tonight at their basketball game. On the news earlier today they were telling everyone that went to the game to bring their terrible towel and wave it in honor of Myron Cope.

kgreen
02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I read this earlier during school and it didn't hitme until now. A true Steeler legend who helped shape the team in so many ways. The whole Steeler nation will miss Myron. I just can't believe this.
:crying::crying:

Can I get one more Yoi!

BBG7
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I got the text this morning and have been bummed out ever since. The Steeler Nation will miss you, RIP Myron.

kgreen
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I remember the only time I ever heard him was the buses last game at Hienz Field. Great memories:cope:

SteelersWoman
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
"Bye now" Myron. You'll be greatly missed :(

SteelCityMan786
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Today being an aspiring Sports Broadcaster, and because Myron was my inspiration to go there, and of course being a Steelers Fan, this is absolutely one of the hardest deaths for me to endure. If it wasn't for Myron, I don't know how much I would want to be a Sports Broadcaster today. Hearing his work made me want to go this route. It's just so hard for me to see him go.

For 35 years he made Steelers Radio Network Broadcasts Great. For 13 seasons I was a live for his final days. But he made listening to those games worthwhile.

Today Myron, you left us hear on earth in body. Forever more you will live on with us in your spirit. From your crazy antics on the radio, to giving us our famous towel. Thank you for inspiring me to become a Sports Broadcaster, I have been reguarded as the next version of you in my school by past teachers.

RIP Myron. I will miss you forever.

:cryrun::cryrun::cryrun:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 05:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861127-66.stm

...In its collective ear today, Pittsburgh can virtually hear his signature sign-off.

"Bye now!"

There's another really good article from the PG that tells some good tales about his life.

------------------------

from the Trib..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_554619.html

Of his many unforgettable sayings, Myron Cope once said, "I never planned to use them, they just happened."
Here's a sampling of expressions Cope used on his radio show or during Steelers broadcasts:

"Yoi" - Wow
"Double Yoi" - Even better than Yoi!
"You betcha!" - I agree
"Zounds!" - Amazing
"Okel-dokel" - Okay
"Gadzooks" - Holy cow
"Garganzola" - Hogwash
"How do?" - How do you do?
"Cincy Bungles" - Cincinnati Bengals
"Cleve Brownies" - Cleveland Browns
"Yonkos" - Denver Broncos
"Emperor Chaz" - Chuck Noll
"Hmm-hah!" - A stall tactic while Cope gathered his thoughts
"Cope-a-stethic" - Everything is fine
"Cope-ra-scope" - Cope's version of a crystal ball
"Cope-a-nut" - A prize awarded to a talk show caller for an astute observation
"Bye now" - Cope's signature line when hanging up with a caller

steelcitysfinestXL
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I'll never forget, my buddys dad got us front line tickets to training camp at St.Francis and a speacial inite only lunch with a "speacial guest"!!! We had no clue who it would be Bradshaw, Joe Green were some of the guys we'd hoped it would be... and when we got there it was Myron!!! We were just as excited to find out it was him as we were when we thought it could of been a HOF'er from the Dynasty era!!! Needless to say our seat were about a mile away from Copes, but it was still speacial to me to share a meal with a legend in not only Steeler fans eyes, but sports fans everywhere!!!! Double Yoi!!!!!

floodcitygirl
02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Just saw this now...been so busy...not a good way to start the day.

RIP Mr. Cope. You'll be sorely missed. :towelwave:

Steelerlyn
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
A member of my club posted this:

I first heard word of Myron's passing from my former advisor at my college (Point Park University in Downtown Pittsburgh), and he sent me the article from www.kdka.com Just letting you know that you can pass along your condolences at www.wpxi.com or any of the Pittsburgh news organizations.

Now that that has been said....

I want my Steeler Brothers and Sisters to think back and remember their fondest moments of Myron. For me, I can still hear him intoning every Okel-Dokel, Yoi, Hoom-Hah and Muzzle-tov clearly in my mind as I would turn on the TV, Mute it and then bring my portable boombox downstairs and hook it up to listen to Myron, Billy and later Tunch. Yes, Myron was not the best Broadcast voice, but Myron didn't need it. I remember an interview when Myron was roasted by fellow Steelers that the one thing he told the Steelers that he might make some negative comments because he was a fan too. He said "if they do well, I will say they're doing well, but if they're stinking out the joint, I'll say They're Stinking Out The Joint". You have to admire a person willing to be honest.

I met Myron after he retired, as he was signing autographs at a "Healthy 4 Life" expo at the David Laurence Center. His voice was not that good, so he was relatively quiet. After he signed my towel, I said, "I actually had to imitate you for a high school musical..." and going into my Myron impression, "Do I get your approv-ee-al on the impression?" He gave me the thumbs up and I said, "Yoi and Okel-Dokel!"

I am asking all Steeler Fans to carry their Terrible Towels with them for the next day or so to show your support for Myron's family and The Steelers as they grieve the loss of a legend, and a very down to earth celebrity. And myron....*Lifting a glass of Iron* Muzzle-Tov!

The Agent.....no...I'm not going to hide behind my Sobriquet this time....

GoBenGo
03-01-2008, 12:24 PM
http://http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/copeism.html http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/sounds/fe.wavhttp://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/sounds/yoi.wav