PDA

View Full Version : Spaeth is the X factor in our offense

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2008, 07:11 AM
We have proven weapons in Hines, Santonio & Heath and a potentially big weapon in Nate but Matt Spaeth is the guy who can really do some damage in this offense if they use him properly.

The dude is freek at 6'7" and would be absolutely money in the redzone and on those sideline jump balls too. He was doing well early in the year but then he kind of disappeared from the offense and then got hurt later in the year. There's not many DB's in the league that could cover this kid if he really works on those pass catching skills and comes around to be a force we can really count on. Arians is so big on the TE in an offense so take this kid and get him more involved.

ARKIESTEEL
02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Didnt he have like 4 or so TD's in the first 4 or 5 games then never scored the rest of the season (going off what I can recall) I was excited at first but wondered what happened

Iron City South
02-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd like to see more from Spaeth, however his production will be limited at TE as a result of playing behind a stud like Heath. What we need is a Spaeth-like WR to line-up opposite of Holmes. This will allow Ward to work primarily out of the slot where he can do the most damage.

DIESELMAN
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Spaeth had receiving stats in only 4 (3 TD's) games this year, maybe if we fix our OL, we can use him more.

steelerfan11
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
What about using him more as a TE and then letting Heath move around more. I don't know if that would blow up in our faces though.

SteelerFan87
02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
How high can Spaeth jump though? Just because he's tall doesn't mean he's going to beat corners for jump balls. The best way to use him is to get him in a mismatch against a LB or maybe even a shorter Safety and then throw it up to him. But I think if you're trying to throw a fade to him against a CB, all you'll get is a pick.

MDSteel15
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
We run enuff 2 TE sets that we should be able to infuse a bunch of plays aimed at Spaeth.

JensK
02-27-2008, 06:11 PM
From this ( http://postgazette.com/pg/07121/782339-66.stm ) article when they drafted him last year:

"He is big, tall and fast," Arians said. "He can block. He is an outstanding, prototypical tight end. At 6-7, he can help stretch the field and he can also handle the point of attack.

"He gives us good flexibility to take Heath and move him around a lot more. Also ... I like having three tight ends on the field a lot of times."

Spaeth, a four-year starter at Minnesota and first team All-Big Ten the past two years, becomes the tallest target for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and certainly not his most humble.

"I'm a physical, blocking tight end," Spaeth said. "I can run routes, catch the ball. I'm a four-down guy. I can stay on the field and we don't have to make a sub for a running down or a passing down."

K Train
02-27-2008, 06:52 PM
i like him, he did good in limited playing time and i look forward to yet another reason why we need to sure up our oline...so we can move them around and get them the ball

DIESELMAN
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
"I'm a physical, blocking tight end," Spaeth said. "I can run routes, catch the ball. I'm a four-down guy. I can stay on the field and we don't have to make a sub for a running down or a passing down."I like the confidence, if Arians doesn't use him next year, then I hope Spaeth has a little "talk" with him.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 04:19 AM
i like him, he did good in limited playing time and i look forward to yet another reason why we need to sure up our oline...so we can move them around and get them the ball

Hey if we have to we can just put him at LT and let him take over and be Tackle eligible every single play :lol:

yinzer
03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Didnt he have like 4 or so TD's in the first 4 or 5 games then never scored the rest of the season (going off what I can recall) I was excited at first but wondered what happened

i have two words... Bruce Arians! I guess arians' thought spaeth was catching too many td's. :scratch:

stillers4me
03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Didn't he have some sort of injury part way through the season?

He certainly started out promising.

Blitzburghpete
03-03-2008, 07:07 AM
i have two words... Bruce Arians! I guess arians' thought spaeth was catching too many td's. :scratch:

Actually that could have a lot to do with it.

It's hard to get excited about Spaeth because we still don;t use the fantastic ability of Miller properly yet so how the heck are we gonna use the backup.

Besides we drafted a TE the year before Spaeth in 6 - 9!!! Matt Krancheck and he didn't stick either!

Just for once wouldn;t it be great if the offence actually used the weapons we had the the full potential???

And who remebers the Eric Green, Adrain Cooper days????

portcityblackandgold
03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
M Spaeth is a monster and for all of Bens talk about a tall receiver, he had one that was used sparingly. Our offensive problems lie with the OC. Fire Arians now. He is unimaginative and predictable