PDA

View Full Version : This is why power rankings are comedy gold...

suitanim
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Fos Sports has the Bungals at #2, namely because they "beat" the Steelers:
T.J. Houshmandzedeh is back, and now he’s more than just a punch line to a clever NFL.com fantasy football ad. “Housh” went off for nine catches, 94 yards, and two touchdowns on Sunday. For Bengals fans (and fantasy owners alike), having him back full strength was well worth the wait. Cincy welcomes New England this weekend in what should be the ... ”Game of the week!” (Cue fireworks, screaming fans, and lots of fake, bellowing laughter about things that aren’t funny from the guys in the studio shows).
And the Steelers at #13:
What’s up with Big Ben? Roethlisberger hasn’t had an impressive start since last year’s AFC championship game. The hated Bengals out-worked, out-played, and outlasted Pittsburgh on Sunday. The bye week couldn’t come soon enough.

It's pretty clear that this guy didn't watch the game, or read the stats, since his #13 should have beaten his #2 by 14 points.

I look for the Bungals to mire themselves in complacency for a few weeks in a self-congratulatory hangover from winning their "Super Bowl", and a pretty average New England team to beat them by 10 points this week.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
That guy is full of ****. WE HANDED THEM THE GAME ON A SILVER PLATTER. I hate the media, well 90% of em.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
He obviously didn't watch the game at all. I sometimes wonder how some of these people got their jobs. I can even deal with the rankings, but the comments after make him sound like an idiot, and completely ruin his credibility in my opinion.

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Mistakes are not excuses.. Its all part of the game.. Just like injuries.. We had PLENTY of them....

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I think you're right suit he didn't wtch the game because that game was giving to them as you will see I stated in my rankings in the NFL forum.

There is no way that the Bengals out worked and out played the Steelers! It was more like the Steelers fumbled the ball away in their own territory on consecutive drives to give up a quick 14 points that they could never recover from! The Benagals will not win this weekend because they are probably feeling like they just won the freaking super bowl. Sorry BengalBrian, those are just my thoughts.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Mistakes are not excuses.. Its all part of the game.. Just like injuries.. We had PLENTY of them....

I never said mistakes were excuses-I don't make excuses, but to say that the
Bengals out-worked, out-played, and outlasted the Steelers is absurd. In my opinion the Steelers showed the NFL how to beat the Bengals and their offense...GO AFTER PALMER and don't turn the ball over. But when we weren't turning the ball over, we were marching up and down the field pretty easily. So again I will say that reporter is an idiot and didn't watch the game at all.

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I think you're right suit he didn't wtch the game because that game was giving to them as you will see I stated in my rankings in the NFL forum.

There is no way that the Bengals out worked and out played the Steelers! It was more like the Steelers fumbled the ball away in their own territory on consecutive drives to give up a quick 14 points that they could never recover from! The Benagals will not win this weekend because they are probably feeling like they just won the freaking super bowl. Sorry BengalBrian, those are just my thoughts.

Dont be sorry.. I respect your opinion.. Just think the comedy gold is that last year these kinda comments from Bengal Fans were considered excuses, but this year they are now valid.. lol

suitanim
09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
The difference being that the Steelers forced Bungals errors, while the Steelers commited errors of judgement pretty much of their own volition. A great example is Ben...dude had hours back in the pocket, but made several errant throws, where Carson spent most of the game with on his back. Any knowledgable football fan knows the difference...

Nevertheless, the media whorewagon is fickle...

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
The difference being that the Steelers forced Bungals errors, while the Steelers commited errors of judgement pretty much of their own volition. A great example is Ben...dude had hours back in the pocket, but made several errant throws, where Carson spent most of the game with on his back. Any knowledgable football fan knows the difference...

Nevertheless, the media whorewagon is fickle...

Hey who cares....all this will do is go straight to the Bengals heads. Now they can't play the No Respect card

suitanim
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Yup...the season is 16 games long, not 3...

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
The Bengals are hitting their toughest stretch of the schedule and you watch, they will freefall so fast with their swelled heads. The Steelers will climb up the division ladder. When the smoke clears on December 31st after becoming victorious in Cincinnati, we will win the AFC North.

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Well.. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... I think you guys could have won that game, but the simple fact is we capitalized on your mistakes and you didnt capitalize on ours.. Big Ben is not what he used to be is not a very valid excuse either. If he isnt good enough to beat us, then draft a new one or put Batch in

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
You are sounding more foolish as you go along in your post you realize that? BEN IS OUR Quarterback and a hell of a lot better than Carson, until you win the Super Bowl, you have no business ranting about Ben or anyone on the Steelers. Worry about your own team of criminals.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Worry about your own team of criminals.

Soon they won't have a team because they will all be in jail

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
You got that right. Sometimes I wish Chris Henry was thrown in there for being with Thruman.

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 11:49 AM
You are sounding more foolish as you go along in your post you realize that? BEN IS OUR Quarterback and a hell of a lot better than Carson, until you win the Super Bowl, you have no business ranting about Ben or anyone on the Steelers. Worry about your own team of criminals.

while the Steelers commited errors of judgement pretty much of their own volition. A great example is Ben...dude had hours back in the pocket, but made several errant throws
Sorry.. Saying your QB didnt make good throws doesnt mean you should have won

suitanim
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry.. Saying your QB didnt make good throws doesnt mean you should have won
I said "knowledgable" football fans...but thanks for making my point for me once again.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I said "knowledgable" football fans...but thanks for making my point for me once again.

Thank you, Suit, you made my point real clear to the fool. Do I pity the fool, HELL NO!!! :nahnah:

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Thank you, Suit, you made my point real clear to the fool. Do I pity the fool, HELL NO!!! :nahnah:

:dunno:

Sore losers

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
BengalBrian brought up a valid point! Ben has sucked this year any Steeler fan who hasn't seen that is definitely blinded by love! ;) The Bengals did exactly what they needed to do, they capitalized on the Steelers mistakes when the game was on the line. Any playoff type team cannot expect to turnover the ball on their own end of the field late in a game and expect to come out on top. So yes the Bengals may not have "out played" the Steelers but they did what they needed to do to win the game and that's really all that matters.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
:dunno:

Sore losers
I agree with you. I'm a sore loser. I hate when my team loses:tt02:

suitanim
09-28-2006, 12:29 PM
But that doesn't address the problem: Ben is simply making bad decisions, and he can't even blame things like great coverage or too much pressure (Like Peyton Manning might). He's just playing poorly.

Same goes for Washington dropping a TD pass. And Coclough muffing a punt. This is Bad News Bears football, and Cowher won't stand for it...and that's my overriding point. Power rankings mean nothing because they don't look at the big picture....does anyone really envision the Steelers shooting thmselves in the foot week after week after week with similar talent that won the SB last year?

College rankings are the worst. If you are ranked #3, and lose to #1 and #2, you might still very well be the 3rd best team in the Country, and it actually bears out what the rankings reflect...however, after suffereing two losses, everyone will drop you to #25 in their polls and power rankings. It's an exercise in futility....

CantStop85
09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Same goes for Washington dropping a TD pass. And Coclough muffing a punt. This is Bad News Bears football, and Cowher won't stand for it...and that's my overriding point. Power rankings mean nothing because they don't look at the big picture....does anyone really envision the Steelers shooting thmselves in the foot week after week after week with similar talent that won the SB last year?
News flash: making numerous mistakes that cost you the game doesn't mean you're an unlucky team, it means you're an ill-prepared team.

You want to say that the Steelers are clearly a better team than Cincinnati and that the Steelers would have won if they hadn't made so many mistakes. Well, guess what, they did make that many mistakes...Cincy was the team that was able to capitalize on the mistakes and guess what, they didn't give the game right back to Pitt.

It wasn't just one fluke play that cost the Steelers the game, it was a myriad of chokes in clutch moments of the game. If you can't stay focused in crunch time, you're quite simply not a good team.

BengalBrian
09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
News flash: making numerous mistakes that cost you the game doesn't mean you're an unlucky team, it means you're an ill-prepared team.

You want to say that the Steelers are clearly a better team than Cincinnati and that the Steelers would have won if they hadn't made so many mistakes. Well, guess what, they did make that many mistakes...Cincy was the team that was able to capitalize on the mistakes and guess what, they didn't give the game right back to Pitt.

It wasn't just one fluke play that cost the Steelers the game, it was a myriad of chokes in clutch moments of the game. If you can't stay focused in crunch time, you're quite simply not a good team.

Preach it man!!! Thats the truth right there..

Love the sig by the way!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 07:15 PM
What it boils down to simply is this.

The Bengals capitalized on our mistakes, we handed them the game on a silver platter and they took it. That's what good teams do. Our defense had Palmer and company on their heels for most of the 2nd half up until about 7 minutes or so to go, then everything fell apart. The fumbles, the muffed punt, the interceptions, you just can't do that in this league against anyone and expect to win.

The better team overall doesn't always win the game..at this point who's to say who's a better team. The Bengals or the Steelers. Both teams clearly have issues they need to sort out as the season goes on. But on Sunday, the bengals won, and we gotta live with it till we see them again soon.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Preach it man!!! Thats the truth right there..

Love the sig by the way!
My god dude, get off O'boys jock!:smashbengals: :bengalssuck:

suitanim
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Here is a prime example of why the Bengals (and their fans) will always be second rate and second best. Moral victories don't count. Having the ball bounce your way when you are outplayed is a nice thing when it happens, but you can't depend on it. The Bengals played an ugly game on Sunday, and it's as close to a Super Bowl as they are likely to ever get. Fortunately for them, the Steelers played an even uglier one. We'll see what happens when the big picture presents itself.

Win a game that truly, TRULY counts against the Steelers for once and we'll see. But winning ugly in a game that could only produce an ugly winner in September is only incrementally better than winning all your games in preseason.

Regardless, all the posturing and chest thumping is fine, but win a game that matters, Bengals. Until then, you're the "Peyton Manning" of NFL teams...good when it doesn't count, and crinkled like a pretzel when it does...

There's a pretty compelling and real reason that Pittsburgh has 5 Lombardi trophies and Cincy has zero. Until the Bengals figure out what it takes, regular season wins here and there ain't gonna cut it...

BengalBrian
09-29-2006, 01:03 AM

This isnt the smack forum.. Or else I would tell you to shut your cockholster

BBG7
09-29-2006, 09:26 AM
This isnt the smack forum.. Or else I would tell you to shut your cockholster

now now Brian

BengalBrian
09-29-2006, 12:55 PM

now now Brian

HE STARTED IT!!!! lol

G89Newitt13
09-29-2006, 02:04 PM
lol gotta love some nice friendly banter haha

SteelerFan87
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Here is a prime example of why the Bengals (and their fans) will always be second rate and second best. Moral victories don't count. Having the ball bounce your way when you are outplayed is a nice thing when it happens, but you can't depend on it. The Bengals played an ugly game on Sunday, and it's as close to a Super Bowl as they are likely to ever get. Fortunately for them, the Steelers played an even uglier one. We'll see what happens when the big picture presents itself.

Very well put. Is it just me, or is that description EXACTLY like what happened in the Super Bowl? The only difference is that in the Super Bowl, we at least got something important out of it, the lombardi trophy. Whereas the Bengals just get an ordinary win. I'm not saying this kind of win is a bad thing, just that it's not something to brag about. Winning the Lombardi trophy is something to brag about, but I don't think any Steelers fan would brag about our performance in the actual game.

And the really funny thing about this is that bengals fans, and Steelers haters everywhere, continuously point to that super bowl game and say we didn't deserve to win, it's tainted, ben sucked, etc. How come nobody's saying that about the Bengals game?

suitanim
09-29-2006, 02:33 PM
You have to put yourself in a position to win a Super Bowl before you can win one...and we lost to the Bengals in Heinz last year, too, didn't we? How'd that turn out IN THE END for the Bengals?

Not. Too. Good.