PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Uniform Colors

SteelerBee43
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
That Uni Got a Hemi?
The Steelers’ uniforms are about getting the job done

By Kara Yorio White with black numbers and gold letters. Or black with white numbers and gold letters and stripes on the sleeves. They are classics. They are timeless. They are intimidating. They shout success. They are instantly recognizable. They are the uniforms of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

You can see it, flying through the air. It’s the jersey of Mean Joe Greene.

“Hey kid.”

“Wow, thanks Mean Joe.”

The ultimate gift, a Steelers jersey tossed through the air as a thank-you for a Coke in that classic commercial. Who wouldn’t want one of the coolest jerseys in the NFL? While uniforms get turned into fashion — colors get changed, styles mutated — there are only two ways the Steelers jerseys work — in black or white.

The Steelers are a working-class team in a working-class town. There is right or wrong. Good guys and bad guys. There is black or white. And there is the gold. The ultimate color of success, the richest color of them all. It all works for the Steelers’ players and fans. It’s a uniform that is about getting the job done.

And let’s talk about the helmets for a minute.

Originally the Steelers had numbers on the sides of their helmets. There was no logo. But in 1962, it was suggested that the Steelers use the logo of U.S. Steel Corp. They put it on and never took it off. But, you’ve undoubtedly noticed, they only put it on one side.

As a matter of fact, the Steelers are the only NFL team to have their logo on only one side of their helmets. It started that way because the organization wasn’t sure it was going to like the look of the logo on its all-gold helmets. The team wanted to give it a test before wasting the time, effort and money of putting the logo on both sides.

That year, 1962, the Steelers went 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to that point. They qualified for the playoffs for the first time and wanted to commemorate that first postseason game with something special, so they changed their helmets from gold to black. That made the logo look even better. With the success of the team and the positive feedback over the look, the helmet design never changed. Black. Logo on one side.
http://cadillacof.msn.com/foxsports/article.aspx?category=nfl&articleid=6254705.........GO TO FOX SPORTS AND VOTE FOR OUR TEAM COLORS AS CADILLAC OF UNIFORMS.....:tt02::helmet::tt02:
It’s an integral part of the whole package. The ultimate accessory to the ultimate uniform of success and intimidation — the Cadillac of NFL uniforms.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Their uniforms are timeless that much is for certain. The famous black & gold colors are instantly recognizable but virtually anyone regardless of whether they follow sports or not. I would still like to see an alternative 3rd uniform put in on a regular basis for big games and what not but I don't know that we'll ever see it.

DIESELMAN
02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I would like to see the block numbers come back :greengrin:

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM

:ditto: I agree 100% loved those Jerseys :yellowthumb: :helmet:

Stairwayto7
02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
:ditto: I agree 100% loved those Jerseys :yellowthumb: :helmet:

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Same here! Block numbers were great!

Hburg
02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Besides block lettering, there are only two other legitimate ways to stylize a Steelers jersey:

1: Weld/Rivet it together (sewing stitches is for quilting anyway)
2: Add diamond-plate accents (that or stainless steel)

There only thing more intimidating than the Steelers jersey are the men that wear them.

BuFu

V_83
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Besides block lettering, there are only two other legitimate ways to stylize a Steelers jersey:

1: Weld/Rivet it together (sewing stitches is for quilting anyway)
2: Add diamond-plate accents (that or stainless steel)

There only thing more intimidating than the Steelers jersey are the men that wear them.

BuFu

Although that would look really cool, like it does on the Oregon players, I doubt it would get passed. That just sounds too flashy for the Steelers.

GoBenGo
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I would like to see the block numbers come back :greengrin:YUP YUP! THOSE WERE AWESOME... just another chapter in the best unis on the gridiron...joe lunchbox..blue collar...no glitz...no glam...:yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yel lowthumb:
really enjoyed the article also ,flea...thanks...voted also...only one vote count?? i clicked loke a dozen tomes...(i's are now o's , i guess)...
neat site....did we miss the qb vote?:scratch:

yinzer
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
the block numbers rule! bring em back!

kgreen
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
:helmet:I wouldn't mind block numbers, but I'm fine with what we got now.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Does anyone know the reason they dropped the block numbers? The only thing I ever heard was they wanted the jerseys to be just a bit more modern looking but I certainly would have thought they could have chosen a better style number than what they did

DIESELMAN
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know the reason they dropped the block numbers? The only thing I ever heard was they wanted the jerseys to be just a bit more modern looking but I certainly would have thought they could have chosen a better style number than what they did

In 1997, the team switched to rounded numbers on the jersey to match the number font on the helmets, and a Steelers logo was added to the left side of the jersey.

For anyone interested in signing an on going petition to go back to block numbers...........

SIGN PETITION (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/213037975)

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
In 1997, the team switched to rounded numbers on the jersey to match the number font on the helmets, and a Steelers logo was added to the left side of the jersey.

For anyone interested in signing an on going petition to go back to block numbers...........

SIGN PETITION (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/213037975)

I signed it, I am #719 :greengrin:

DIESELMAN
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
SWEET!!! I think they need 1000 signatures. I stickied this petition.....:yellowthumb:

Zachintosh66
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
What is a petition really gonna do? Come on now, seriously!

Yeah the block one were cool, back in the day...
The current ones are way better!

The one thing I wouldnt mind is a Yellow/Gold Jersey...
or maybee some black pants w/ a yellow stripe...

The 75-An Jerseys was ok, but pants were horrible! Im not sure about the helmet either, at least they kept the logo on one side, tho

V_83
02-26-2008, 10:11 PM
What is a petition really gonna do? Come on now, seriously!

Yeah the block one were cool, back in the day...
The current ones are way better!

The one thing I wouldnt mind is a Yellow/Gold Jersey...
or maybee some black pants w/ a yellow stripe...

The 75-An Jerseys was ok, but pants were horrible! Im not sure about the helmet either, at least they kept the logo on one side, tho

Not to be mean or anything but the reason they kept the logo on one side, is because it's always been like that since we've had it. It would be weird to have a throwback helmet that wasn't an actual "throwback".

And the block numbers are better. :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

#720 here :yellowthumb:

Iron City South
02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Personally, I liked the throw-backs from last year black jerseys (gold numbers) with the gold helmets. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I believe we played our asses off when we wore them.

I'd like to see the Steelers do an all black uni with the Gold helmets.

V_83
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I liked the throw-backs from last year black jerseys (gold numbers) with the gold helmets. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I believe we played our asses off when we wore them.

Yeah our first game against the Ravens, I wish we could do that every week. :tt02:

kgreen
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM

We did play better with the throwbacks on. I think swithcing to an old school style like block might be good for this teams attitude. Sliver Back I know loves these (see Ravens game).