PDA

View Full Version : another reason

Captcoolhand
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
another reason why dynasties don't exist anymore... It's all about the money.

INDIANAPOLIS - Many assume that Asante Samuel will sign with the highest bidder, that the cornerback will be completely swayed by the almighty dollar when he hits the open market on Friday, even if his heart is in New England.

Alonzo Shavers, who represents Samuel, was asked yesterday if that premise rang true.

“Whoever throws the most money is always a good thing,” said Shavers, flashing a smile. “That’s obviously one of the determining factors. But there will be more factored in. Asante has a list of things that are important to him, things he’d like.”

Samuel has expressed a desire to remain with the Patriots [team stats]. He has spoken of his affection for his teammates.

All of that, however, may not matter when teams start throwing a ton of bonus money at the Pro Bowler.

With recently franchised Marcus Trufant (Seattle) and Nnamdi Asomugha (Oakland) now out of the free agent picture, Samuel figures to land top dollar as the premier cornerback available.

Word from the combine last night was that Samuel is looking for a 10-year, $100 million deal with $30 million guaranteed up front. That would be more than the megacontract corner Nate Clements (eight years, $80 million with $22 million up front) struck with the 49ers last year.
What Samuel wants is something the Pats are unlikely to match, especially if they commit to a long-term deal with free agent wide receiver Randy Moss, whom they did not franchise.

“He’s got a knack for intercepting balls. That’s the biggest thing he has going for him. That makes him one of the better players in the NFL,” Cleveland Browns coach and former Pats defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said of Samuel yesterday at the NFL combine. “He knows it. Everyone else knows it. We’ll just see how it plays out.”

Crennel admitted there was “a possibility” Cleveland would make Samuel an offer once the free agent gates open Friday. The Browns certainly have the cap room.

So do the Jets, where Eric Mangini is coach. So do the Dolphins, who are rebuilding under Bill Parcells. So do the Falcons, who have former Patriots scouting director Thomas Dimitroff calling the shots.
Has Samuel advised Shavers to let the Pats attempt to match whatever the highest offer might be?

“I’m not getting into any of those strategies or discussions. I don’t think it’s necessary,” Shavers said. “When the opportunity is presented, let the chips fall where they may. How we do it, time will tell.”

Shavers wouldn’t say if he had either met with or planned on meeting with Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli while here.
It’s clear, however, that no deal will be struck with the Pats before Samuel gets a chance to have the rest of the league’s teams shower him with affection.

“No one’s ruled out,” Shavers said. “There’s 31 teams on the list.”

Did Samuel harbor any ill will from being franchised last season?

“Seven million is never hard,” Shavers said, referencing what Samuel was paid last year. “But what it did was it eliminated the opportunity to give himself and his family long-term security he felt he had earned. That was the hard part. He had an understanding of the business elements of the profession he chose. He understands tactics are involved. It was explained to him thoroughly. He’s not naive by any stretch of the imagination.”
In the end, it’s worked out even better for Samuel. He likely will have an even bigger payday than the one he could have earned had he hit the free agent market last season instead.

“In hindsight, I don’t know of a better situation he could have put himself in,” Shavers said. “Looking back, he didn’t get hurt, there was no pitfall, all his checks cashed, he’s healthy, he’s hitting free agency. It sounds like a perfect scenario to me.

“It’s always up to interpretation how someone views (being tagged). He has no animosity. Why would he? Maybe there was some tension. But it’s the nature of the beast. Sometimes, people don’t agree.”
Judging by the broad smile on Shavers’ face and his popularity at the combine, the likelihood of Samuel receiving what he’s looking for on the open market appears strong.

“We’re excited, we’re blessed, we’re appreciative,” Shavers said. “We’re going to play this thing by ear. We’re going to try to get it wrapped up in as timely fashion as we possibly can.”

DIESELMAN
02-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Asante avoided the franchise tag this year by shrewdly negotiating into his contract, that if the Pats win 12 games and he plays 60% of the plays last season, the Pats can't use the tag on him for 2008. A player using his own version of the poison pill, good for him on that part. All these big money contracts are going to kill a lot of teams now and down the road. I don't see why they can't put a limit on these salaries. Its a union right? well out here in the real world unions, there are ceilings on wages according to tenure. For example 1-3 year of work the highest you can make is 15.00 per hour, when you go into your 4th year, your on a different level, say 4-7 years the highest you can make is 18.00 per hour.In the NFL, there would be different limits according to position. Rookies would NOT make 10's of millions of dollars coming out of college. Yeah they had a great "college" career, but that only gets you a job in the NFL. Once your in the NFL, you have to start all over again to prove yourself, either you got it, or you don't.

V_83
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Asante avoided the franchise tag this year by shrewdly negotiating into his contract, that if the Pats win 12 games and he plays 60% of the plays last season, the Pats can't use the tag on him for 2008. A player using his own version of the poison pill, good for him on that part. All these big money contracts are going to kill a lot of teams now and down the road. I don't see why they can't put a limit on these salaries. Its a union right? well out here in the real world unions, there are ceilings on wages according to tenure. For example 1-3 year of work the highest you can make is 15.00 per hour, when you go into your 4th year, your on a different level, say 4-7 years the highest you can make is 18.00 per hour.In the NFL, there would be different limits according to position. Rookies would NOT make 10's of millions of dollars coming out of college. Yeah they had a great "college" career, but that only gets you a job in the NFL. Once your in the NFL, you have to start all over again to prove yourself, either you got it, or you don't.

That's one of the best ideas I have heard in a very long time. I hope this eventually gets used in the NFL. That will cut quite a bit of crap and drama out of it.

K Train
02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
i like drama...makes for good television

DIESELMAN
02-25-2008, 08:06 PM
That's one of the best ideas I have heard in a very long time. I hope this eventually gets used in the NFL. That will cut quite a bit of crap and drama out of it.
Never gonna happen.....greed is a mother ****er :banana:

V_83
02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Never gonna happen.....greed is a mother ****er :banana:

Sad but true. :banging: