PDA

View Full Version : NFL News - Browns, Giants, Falcons

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Sunday, Feb 24, 2008

Plaxico Burress just finished a remarkable season in which he battled a painful injury and finished with a Super Bowl-winning catch. Now he may be looking to cash in the New York Daily News reported.

Burress' agent declined to shoot down speculation on Saturday that the Giants' top receiver is looking to renegotiate his deal. Burress has three years and $10.5 million left on the six-year, $25 million deal he signed in 2005, but there have been rumors that he's looking for more.

"That is going to be between myself and the Giants," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "I can't comment on that publicly."

Who didn't see this coming :lol:

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Feb 23, 10:06 am EST

ATLANTA (Ticker) - Atlanta Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall has said he wants to quit the team, just a day after it was reported that the New York Giants are looking to trade for the two-time Pro Bowler.

In comments reported in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Saturday, Hall told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday that he no longer feels wanted in Atlanta.

“I don’t want to stay there,” he said. “I would go anywhere who wants me. That’s the thing. It’s hard to play for or be part of an organization that doesn’t want you. I just want to go somewhere where I’m wanted.”

Hall claimed he has never asked for a trade, but now feels “betrayed” by the team’s actions, saying, “these guys kind of stabbed me in the back,” because they had entertained trade offers while telling Hall they wanted to keep him.

“It’s not a situation where I’m out here trying to request a trade,” Hall said. “That is not the case. The case is these guys are out here trying to trade me. That’s what it comes down to.”

The Newark Star-Ledger reported Friday that the Giants could trade their first-round pick to get Hall. The Journal-Constitution also suggested that the Washington Redskins could be interested.

After next season, Hall, 24, is due to become an unrestricted free agent. According to the Journal-Constitution, his salary is $4.2 million for next season.

Hall, a four-year veteran, recorded 70 tackles and five interceptions in 2007.

A head case, but good ball player

JoeThomas
02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
i dont blame him, he supported vick, and they wont support him. should bring a 1st rounder though.

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Good gravy!! One good season, granted a SB season and he's getting greedy! Glad he left the Steelers!

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
By John Taylor

A major agent. A Cleveland Browns star as his client. Evasive answers to probing contract questions. You smell trouble? Find out happened this morning in Indianapolis...

During a lengthy eleven-minute Combine meet & greet session with the media today, always-verbose player agent Drew Rosenhaus answered numerous questions on a wide array of players and topics.

However, it’s one question the normally chatty Rosenhaus refused to answer that should pique the interests of Cleveland Browns fans. And, quite possibly, raise their suspicions a level or two.

After answering several questions regarding Kellen Winslow’s health and the state of negotiations with the Browns, Jeff Schudel of the Lake County News Herald asked Rosenhaus if Winslow would be in camp on time if the two sides could not reach agreement on a restructured deal.

Rosenhaus’ response, or lack thereof, was very telling.

“I'm just not going to get into anything further than that,” Rosenhaus said in response to Schudel’s question.

While there are still five months until the start of training camp, the fact that the agent for a player—who has three years still remaining on his current contract, no less—cannot confirm his client will be in camp should raise serious doubts and questions as to where this situation will lead.

Winslow, who is signed through the 2010 season, first made waves regarding a re-work of his contract in the week leading up to the Pro Bowl. In an interview on Sirius satellite radio, Winslow stated that he was “one of the elite tight ends in the game” and felt now was the time to “get that new money.”

If there was one positive to take out of the comments from Rosenhaus, it’s the fact he has already met with general manager Phil Savage and capologist Trip MacCracken, and described the talks as “positive and ongoing”. Rosenhaus also stressed that Winslow’s recent surgery was elective in nature, wasn’t necessary and was performed simply to remove scar tissue.

:clap: Hold out loser :lol:

NOVA STEELERS
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
The Atlanta Falcons are keeping their options open in finding a replacement for suspended quarterback Michael Vick.

Vick missed last season after pleading guilty to funding a dogfighting ring and helping kill some of the dogs. His replacements at quarterback had their moments, but the Falcons finished 4-12.
With Vick serving a 23-month prison sentence, new coach Mike Smith said the Falcons need help at the position.

"In this league, I think the teams that are successful have great quarterbacks," he said Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "If you look at the playoff teams from this past season, the majority of them have outstanding quarterbacks. I think it's a quarterback-driven league.

"I think we have to look at all avenues in terms of free agency and the college draft. There are a number of young quarterbacks here at the combine that we have a lot of interest in."

Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman filled in for Vick last year. Harrington has struggled in Detroit, Miami and Atlanta; Redman has 10 career starts in five years; and the Falcons cut Leftwich this month.

With the third overall pick in the draft, the Falcons have the flexibility to wheel and deal or take a top prospect, perhaps at quarterback.

"Picking at number three is big for us, huge for us, because I know we're going to get an outstanding football player at that spot," Smith said. "It also opens up a lot of different avenues for us in terms of how we want to pursue things."

PLAYER UPDATES: Jevon Kearse's agent expects that the veteran defensive end will be released by the Philadelphia Eagles.

"We tried to work out a restructure with the Eagles and it didn't work out," Drew Rosenhaus told reporters. "He had a wonderful career there."

Rosenhaus called talks with the Cleveland Browns to re-negotiate tight end Kellen Winslow's contract "positive and ongoing," but declined to go into details.

Rosenhaus also said veteran linebacker Larry Izzo has a verbal agreement to return to the New England Patriots.

OFF-THE-FIELD CHECKUPS: Tennessee Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said off-the-field conduct is more important than ever for teams considering prospects at the combine.

"I think character has become a bigger and bigger thing," he said. "I think the money's a part of it. I think the clubs and coaches are very, very careful."

Adam "Pacman" Jones, the Titans' star cornerback, has been one of the most troubled players in the league in recent years. Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Jones for the 2007 season for his off-field conduct. The sixth pick in the 2005 draft has been arrested six times since being drafted.

Jones is prohibited from working out at the Tennessee Titans' facility and may not be reinstated until at least the opening of training camps in July. Teams want to avoid such scenarios by doing their homework on troubled prospects before draft day.

"I think part of the process is getting as much information as you can gain," Reinfeldt said. "I think it's understanding all the facts as to what happened. It also involves interviewing the young man. From there, it's a gut call."

Reinfeldt wouldn't say if Jones' uncertain status would affect the way his team drafts. The Titans have the 24th pick.

"Our cornerbacks did a good job for us last year," he said. "You can never get enough good corners. You get too many good corners, somebody's going to be happy to trade for them."

HALL UNHAPPY: Atlanta coach Mike Smith said he was disappointed to hear reports that cornerback DeAngelo Hall no longer wants to play for the Falcons.

Hall told reporters at the combine on Friday that he doesn't want to stay in Atlanta after learning the Falcons might trade him.

"I'm really sorry that DeAngelo feels that way," Smith said. "It's our policy not to make comments on speculative roster moves, and that's a speculative roster move. I think he's an outstanding player."

Hall was unhappy all last season and often spoke negatively about coach Bobby Petrino. He was fined $100,000 for getting into a shouting match with Petrino, and later openly criticized Falcons management after the team released defensive tackle Grady Jackson.

Hall has 228 tackles and 17 interceptions in four NFL seasons and has been to two Pro Bowls.

EXTRA MOTIVATION: Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling is skipping his senior season, but not just because he's anxious to start his pro career.

"I decided to come out early because I have a little daughter and fiancee," he said. "(My fiancee is) about to graduate from the University of South Carolina, so I thought it would be a perfect time."

Justice, Merling's 1-year-old, was the key consideration.

"If it wasn't for my daughter and stuff like that, I probably would have stayed another year in school and finished up and graduated," he said.

Merling, who is considered one of the top five defensive end prospects in the draft, is confident he's making the right move.

"I think I'm ready to play in the NFL," he said. "I just said, 'It's probably a good time to leave."'

LEINART THROWING: Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart has been throwing at the team's training complex as he comes back from the broken collarbone that ended his season, coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

Whisenhunt, who was critical of Leinart on occasion, praised the way the quarterback handled the time he was sidelined.

"I'll say this for Matt, I'll give him credit, he's done a very good job during the season of working to stay up on the game and studying the game and doing the work in the classroom," Whisenhunt said. "Mentally, going into this offseason, not only does he feel better about our offense as far as what we're asking him to do, but I think his preparation is a lot better."

LONG MEMORIES: Defensive end Chris Long of Virginia has yet to meet Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis in the pre-draft process. The Raiders select fourth, and Long could be one of the top picks.

But Long does have some youthful memories related to Davis. When his father, Hall of Fame defensive end Howie Long, played for the Raiders, a young Chris engaged in some subterfuge to violate Davis' policy that family members couldn't visit with players at certain times. He remembers his mom telling him to duck down in the back seat of the car so could sneak in to see his dad without anybody noticing.

"Don't tell Al Davis that I said that," he said with a laugh.

ELLIS vs. DORSEY: USC's Sedrick Ellis believes only LSU's Glenn Dorsey could prevent him from being the top defensive tackle selected in the draft.

"Me and him are going to be battling for a lot of things the next couple months," he said. "He throws a punch, I throw a punch. Teams need tackles."

Ellis moved to nose guard in the Senior Bowl, and it worked. He sacked Kentucky's Andre Woodson for a safety, the highlight of a dominant performance that vaulted him into top-five consideration.

Dorsey is 6-foot-2 and 316 pounds and Ellis is 6-foot and 309 pounds.

Ellis says his height is an asset.

"A lot of people like taller tackles," he said. "I think my height is great. You get those 6-5, 6-6 linemen, and I can get under them, uproot them."

Ellis stayed his senior year to get his degree in sociology. He never took out an insurance policy to protect himself if he got injured.

"I try not to think 'I might get hurt,"' he said. "I think if you have that attitude, you might jinx yourself."

TEST RESULTS: Texas A&M offensive lineman Cody Wallace and Purdue tight end Dustin Keller were strong in testing on Saturday.

Wallace had the best vertical jump among linemen, 30 1/2 inches, and the top broad jump, 9 feet, 5 inches.

Keller had the best vertical at his position, 38 inches, and the best broad jump, 10 feet, 11 inches

Brady Quinn
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
He will get paid and now deserves it. Pay him!

Brady Quinn
02-25-2008, 09:55 AM
This is the fastes wr draft class I have seen. There are some many to chose from. Guys that I have never heard of are running 4.3's.

Brady Quinn
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
He was good this year and he now has some pull with his ring!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah we all saw this coming...the Giants are going to have a lot of tough decisions this offseason because Burress is going to want more, Osi may want more on his deal already, Strahan isn't getting any younger...

K Train
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
i miss him

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
He's spent his entire career hurt and acting like a jackass..now he has a good year and all of the sudden he's got some leverage that he thinks makes him worthy of more money. Play out your damn contract you loser and stop griping to get more money when you haven't your current deal yet!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
There really isn't a clear cut #1 guy in this draft, QB or otherwise. Don't be surprised if the Falcons don't go after Ryan in this draft and go after McFadden or Jake Long.

Steelerlyn
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I wish he had stayed a Steeler :(

V_83
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I know it won't happen, but I would like to see them get Dennis Dixon from Oregon. He's got about the same build and athleticism of Vick, but I think he is way better. He'll just have to gain a little bit of weight, and learn the system. Then the falcons might be fun to watch again.

yinzer
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
what a putz! who does he think he is??!! i love how these nimrods have an "o.k." year and think they are jerry friggin rice! show me something first, winslow! bum!

JoeThomas
02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
pay the man. but do it after this season, make sure he is healthy. he keeps having knee surgery. but id make him the hgihest paid after the season.

JoeThomas
02-25-2008, 08:13 PM
He was good this year and he now has some pull with his ring!

i say that iof he wants to hold out let him, ring or not he isnt a elite wr.

yinzer
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
i dont blame him, he supported vick, and they wont support him. should bring a 1st rounder though.

well, that's one of his 1 million problems... he supported vick! he's not going to be welcomed with open arms to any other team.