PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Daily Question

Steelersfan
09-28-2006, 02:40 AM
About now I would agree. Washington has made maybe one play so far this year (TD vs Fins). Why not put Willie on the roster in his place. He couldn't do much worse. His rookie comment doesn't make much sense here since Washington hasn't played that much himself.

Question: Knowing that drastic changes cannot be made in-season, is this logical and feasible: Deactivate Nate Washington, activate Willie Reid (not losing much) and use Heath Miller as the fourth wide receiver/tight end in late-game packages? I feel this would strengthen the return game and passing game.
Is this possible?

Nick Humbert, Coral Springs, FL

BOUCHETTE: Sure it is, and it makes sense to me. I don't believe they want to use two rookies among their top four receivers. Rookies have a knack for running the wrong way as the quarterback throws the other way. It happens to veterans too (remember Super Bowl XXX when Andre Hastings and Neil O'Donnell were "not on the same page" and Larry Brown and the Cowboys benefited?). But why not use Miller? He's the only tall one of the bunch, and he's shown he can run and catch. Put him in the slot and let him run the inside stuff when they go to four receivers. Or what's the worst Reid could do? Drop a few passes? If that's the case, he'd fit right in.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725643-367.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Using Miller as an extra WR is an option, I'd agree with that. I don't see them having 2 rookies in their starting 4 WR for a game either though. I say deactivate Staley & Logan, dress Willie and see how it goes.

SteelersFire
09-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I think it's too early in the season to write off Washington. We've had an admittedly rough start but I'm not sure changing out anyone would be a good thing right now. We just need to get our feet under us. Remember, second-guessing only erodes confidence ...

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 09:13 AM
SteelersFire, you got a great point and so does Top Gun. I mentioned this in the Ben thread about Miller being used as a deep threat to pull some coverage off of Hines and Cedrick. Going 5 Wide with Miller being the 4th or 5th option would really screw the defense up and opening up the running game for Willie and Ben. Heath is a dangerous weapon. I just wish Whiz and Cowher would see it the way I do. If I was the head coach, I would deactivate Staley and Logan. Time for Willie Reid to prove himself as a legit punt and kick returner. Nate Washington deserve to be out their, he proven a legit target, but he needs to get in a rhythm with Ben. I think all the receivers need work with Ben on a rapport during this Bye Week.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Maybe they should invest in a can of spray-on-tact, Maybe then, our WR will hold onto the ball.:bigthumb:

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 09:18 AM
SteelersFire, you got a great point and so does Top Gun. I mentioned this in the Ben thread about Miller being used as a deep threat to pull some coverage off of Hines and Cedrick. Going 5 Wide with Miller being the 4th or 5th option would really screw the defense up and opening up the running game for Willie and Ben. Heath is a dangerous weapon. I just wish Whiz and Cowher would see it the way I do. If I was the head coach, I would deactivate Staley and Logan. Time for Willie Reid to prove himself as a legit punt and kick returner. Nate Washington deserve to be out their, he proven a legit target, but he needs to get in a rhythm with Ben. I think all the receivers need work with Ben on a rapport during this Bye Week.
What would of happened if he would have only caught that pass in the Endzone:dunno:

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, then, I don't know what to say, but I know Nate will come around later on in the season. Cedrick needs to get out his funk also. We are counting on him as well. I still wish we didn't cut Quincy Morgan, he was a good contributor for our team.

SteelerDan43
09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I have to agree with Ed on this one, Just catch the ball! I dont care who it is, thats your A number 1 job as a reciever whether it be a TE or a WR. If you got hands like Heath you should be out there

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Every WR has poor timing with Ben these last 2 weeks. Im sure they'll take good advantage of this bye week to help get that timing back.

But as far as the dropped balls, that's not a timing issue when Ben hits you right in the hands or right between the numbers. You gotta make that catch every time regardless !

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I would personally hate to see Nate deactivated after coming so far. He was good in the first game but ever since Ben came back he hasn't done a whole lot and that could simply be related to the amount of time Ben and Nate have spent working on their timing. I could Heath being used in the slot, but getting rid of Nate is probably not the best option. I'm sure there is some other dead weight on the roster that can be deactivated for a game or two.