PDA

View Full Version : Reid awaits chance to return punts

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 12:22 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725690-66.stm

"A lot of people think it's a scary job, but I like it a lot."

Thursday, September 28, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Willie Reid does not like the job of returning punts. He loves it. Whether he gets to pursue his desire depends on the other party, in this case coach Bill Cowher.

"There will be some changes," Cowher declared after the Steelers practiced for the first of two days during their off week. "I am not ready to announce any of them now. We have a whole week to see what our options are and assess it from there."

He did not have to announce that cornerback Ricardo Colclough no longer will return punts. That's assumed. Rookies Reid and Santonio Holmes, along with veteran Cedrick Wilson are the candidates to replace him. All are receivers.

Cowher acknowledged that in the preseason he felt Reid, who owns the Florida State punt-return record with a 15.4-yard average, would be his punt returner. The problem is that if he uses Reid, he either must be among his top four receivers or he must dress five, plus special-teamer Sean Morey. The top four receivers through the first three games are Hines Ward, Wilson, Nate Washington and Holmes.

"The difficulties again are the makeup of the roster on game day," Cowher said. "You can easily sit there and say you want this and this, but it's not always easy to do. I'm doing what I think is in the best interest of the team and I will make those decisions accordingly. If I think that will help us dramatically, then I will make that decision. Again, it comes down to a coach's decision, and those are things I have to make week to week."

Reid said he understands that, but he would love a crack at the return job.

"A lot of people think it's a scary job, but I like it a lot. You have to have courage, you have to have awareness. If you've been doing it for awhile, it's not as scary as people make it out to be. It's something I enjoy doing, something I think is real fun."

Penn State saw just how much fun he had in the Orange Bowl with 180 yards of punt returns, including a touchdown.

He returned 10 punts for 88 yards in the preseason, seven more than anyone else. He, like Cowher, thought he would return punts in the regular season.

"I had a good little feel I was going to be that guy," Reid said. "But it's a numbers game. Whenever the coaches call and whenever they get ready for me to play, I'll be there."

Reid said Colclough, "just had a bad game. If you're a punt returner, you're in the limelight. If you mess up one time like that, a lot of people see it. It's a mistake he made that I'm sure he won't make it again if he gets the opportunity."

He knows this a business and if someone isn't performing up to par, another's chance will come. You can tell he's chomping at the bit to get in there. I can't wait to see him !

BBG7
09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Well that's one of the main reasons we brought him to the Steelers...why not let him do it.

Steelersfan
09-28-2006, 12:46 AM
I say let him do it! Find a spot for him somewhere. Sit Davenport and Staley if they don't plan on playing them and bring Reid on!

Koopa
09-28-2006, 01:18 AM
if willie is not returning punts within the next few weeks every post i post will say cowher is a fag that needs to be fired for being stuck on stupid lol

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
10 returns for 88 yards in the preseason.... HELLO <<knocking on Cowhers head>> ANYBODY HOME IN THERE!!!! The dude averaged 8 yards a return, why the hell hasn't he been in there from the begining. What is the team averaging all together 3.1 yards per return for a next to last ranking!!! If Cowher doesn't get Reid in there soon, he's going to have a coup on his hands!

Steelersfan
09-28-2006, 02:15 AM
And koopa will lead it!.......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 06:20 AM
And those stats we're behind alot of backups on special teams, image what he'll be able to do when he's returning kicks with the first unit on special teams.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 09:31 AM
I can see Reid becoming a lot like Dante Hall did in Kansas City in the one season. I could see him getting us maybe 2 to 3 TDs on Special Teams.

COWHER, YOU BONEHEADED FOOL, PUT HIM IN THERE!!!

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm glad that some of us here don't work in the FO. I'm sure if they thought Reid could come in and do better, He would be in there. Cowher and the Coaches spend alot more time with Reid than anyone here does. so I think it would be best to be patient and not ask for something that could turn out to be a bigger risk than what we already have. just my :2cents:

BBG7
09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm glad that some of us here don't work in the FO. I'm sure if they thought Reid could come in and do better, He would be in there. Cowher and the Coaches spend alot more time with Reid than anyone here does. so I think it would be best to be patient and not ask for something that could turn out to be a bigger risk than what we already have. just my :2cents:

Are you saying that Cowher and the FO have never made a mistake?

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 10:21 AM
No I'm just saying that these guys work with reid nearly every day and they know better than us.
It's like;
Be careful for what you pray for!

BBG7
09-28-2006, 10:32 AM
So you would rather have coc back there returning kicks?

He has done nothing but prove he can not handle it. Basically he cost us a game against a divisional rival for being stupid. If one of our main reasons for getting Reid was returning kicks, why isn't he in there...he can not do any worse than Coc.

I love Cowher to death, but he is known for being stubborn and not always making the right decisions when he should. It usually comes back to bite him in the butt.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Easy BB!
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying, i would hate to see someone whom the coaches know better than i, come in and do worse than who we got in there now.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Easy BB!
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying, i would hate to see someone whom the coaches know better than i, come in and do worse than who we got in there now.

I'm just asking a question. I'm not trying to argue or anything like that, I am trying to have a conversation. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and I do enjoy hearing the opinions of others and I like sharing mine at the same time. That's all!!! :greengrin:

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm not thrilled with Coke, but I don't know how good things could work with 2 rookies in the backfield.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm not thrilled with Coke, but I don't know how good things could work with 2 rookies in the backfield.

I just don't think it could be any worse. Coc is making mistakes I don't see high school players making.

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Capt is bringing up some good points! The coaches see Reid play everyday so they obviously are seeing something that we aren't privy to or they just flat out don't have room for him on the roster.

If Reid does get into the lineup to return punts, the first mistake he makes we all are going to want his head on a plate but then who will we want returning punts... our only options at that point would be Holmes, another rookie, or Coc :dunno: The punt returner spot is defintiely a weak spot for the Steelers right now and they need someone to really turn things around. Let's just hope if it is Reid, he doesn't make any mistakes because right now he is going to have some enourmous shoes to fill!

Prosdo
09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
I say put Willie Reid back there. I am always nervous when Coc is back there and hmmm wonder why lol. Let the guy have a shot.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 06:12 PM
We have to wonder how much work Reid gets during the week returning punts. Im sure Holmes is getting the majority of the snaps now, so we'll see.

Honestly at this point, I'll take Reid and his growing pains over Coc and his fumbles, and complete lack of vision on the field. PR was never his strong suit anyways. He sucked at returning kicks too. Reid can't be any worse, and he's done it alot more than Coc has overall. Plus he's faster.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks AZ, I'm glad someone sort of see the points I'm making:scratch:

Coke was to be ready when ARE and QM was gone, to bad he isn't :thumbdown1:

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Don't you guys miss Quincy Morgan? I swear that was a very idiotic move to get rid of him.

K Train
09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I agree, Morgan was a mediocre reciever but a fantastic KR. I met him once...good guy.:bigthumb:

K Train
09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
The coaches are impressed with Reid, cowher said hes been more impressive than Holmes in PR, he is being stubborn with cocs spot on the roster, he likes coc for whatever reason...it wont be long before reid is fielding punts for us. He had an impressive camp and preseason, they said better that holmes at one point and i dont know about you but i like what holmes has done in the middle of a struggling offense right now (not so much ST), he hasnt dropped passes like wilson has..he has great hands and is improving.

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 08:00 PM
he likes coc for whatever reason...

:hilarious: At least we know what/who you're talking about!

I do believe we will see Reid returing punts in the San Diego game. Cowher has said too many times that Reid has been better. Sometimes, you just gotta swallow your pride and accept the fact that you messed up. The good thing is you can always correct your mistakes which Cowher will definitely do!

K Train
09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
LMAO...he likes coclough for whatever reason:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2006, 07:00 PM
if willie is not returning punts within the next few weeks every post i post will say cowher is a fag that needs to be fired for being stuck on stupid lol

Koop, I'm totally with you on this. I mean what the **** did we draft Willie Reid for in the first place? For him to sit in a grey sweat suit next to Duce Staley? This kid Reid was a great punt returner at Florida State. He needs to dress every game and if he just returns punts so be it.

I what to know if Sean Morey has pictures of Bill Cowher having sex with a monkey to always keep his job. Morey is probally the reason why Reid hasn't been dressing.

One think also Ricardo Coclough has always shown to have poor ball handling skills and he shouldn't have been returning punts in the first place. I know I need to let this go. But I'm still fustrated that we lost that freaking game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree, Morgan was a mediocre reciever but a fantastic KR. I met him once...good guy.:bigthumb:

Now that's definately a guy I wouldnt have minded keeping around. He could have really helped Holmes and Reid learn how to return kicks and punts the right way !

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Now that's definately a guy I wouldnt have minded keeping around. He could have really helped Holmes and Reid learn how to return kicks and punts the right way !

Morgan never returned punts for us though. He just returned kickoffs. But I agree we do miss him right now. Our kick return unit hasn't been that good and Morgan probally would have helped our struggling WR core right now. Both Washington and Holmes are still raw and learning. But I think mid-season they should be fine.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 07:18 PM
He actually returned a few punts here and there but not with any regularity of course. Still though I'd have rather had him in there than Coc last weekend. Hell I'd have taken pee wee herman over Coc ! ;)

K Train
09-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Good news guys, i have read several diferent places that reid will be returning punts and heres the best news......he was finally added to the online madden roster...that has to be a sign or something.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
He actually returned a few punts here and there but not with any regularity of course. Still though I'd have rather had him in there than Coc last weekend. Hell I'd have taken pee wee herman over Coc ! ;)

I agree with Pee-Wee over Ricardo. Still don't know why Cowher kept giving Colclough chance after chance to show he is a punt returner. But in 2005 the Steelers had 46 punt returns. El had 44 of them. Ike and Chidi had the other two.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Well you know BC, for some reason he gets a hardon for certain players even when they stink up the joint.

I"ll have to do some research. I know I saw him back there on punt returns once or twice, not sure of the year though.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Well you know BC, for some reason he gets a hardon for certain players even when they stink up the joint.

I"ll have to do some research. I know I saw him back there on punt returns once or twice, not sure of the year though.

Morgan only spent the 2005 season with us. As for the research I already did it. I have the Steelers 2006 media guide plus I'm a stat geek.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Im calling up Quincey, I'll ask him and get back to you :banana:

K Train
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Guys im telling you....Reid being active and the default punt returner on the online madden roster is a message from the football gods.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Then lets hope either BC is playing some Madden this week or else the football gods go and slap him around some in his dreams to make him come to his senses :lol: